Chapter 11 Saviors and Spirit Gates
111 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You seem like a quiet man. But you're very dramatic." Chief Chang'e Wha.

I rolled my eyes. "How am I dramatic?" Min and Jiao finally moved in and they were now sleeping in my bed. Still sleeping, as a matter of fact. That's why we were currently seated in the garden sipping tea. It was amazing. Before I came to this world, I'd never drank so much tea. My supply of coffee was running low. When it ran out. God help the poor fool who knocks on my door in the morning.

Chief Chang'e placed this world's equivalent of a newspaper. On the paper was an illustration of handsome young men in dramatically flowing robes riding a celestial dragon.

The article read.

 Deming Fai corruption revealed! King Deming fair was executed in his bed chambers by an unknown executioner. The current reigning King Liu Bei confirmed that the Dragon Emperor ordered the former king's execution.

His wives and concubines have spoken to our Inquirers. King Deming Fai loved inflicting pain on his concubines and his wives were only spared out of fear of angering their relations. The depravity of the former king is too vile to write. But a first-hand account of the events of that night was given by his latest concubine, whose name is kept confidential.

"After my usual lashing from King Fai, he chained me to the foot of his bed, where I tried to sleep. The pain was too great and my position was too uncomfortable for sleep. That's how I saw him. His dragon alighted from the heavens, as silent as the wind. He dismounted and entered King Fai's quarters and look around his room with disgust. When his eyes landed on me, I could feel his terrible rage, and I was sure my life was over. I pretended to be asleep and prayed for mercy. Instead of hurting me, I watched as he grabbed King Fai by the ankle and threw him across the room like a child doll. He stalked toward King Fai with an aura of murderous intent and choked the life out of him before tossing his body out the window like week-old trash. He then gallantly sat astride his heavenly beast and took to the sky his mission of justice complete."

I snorted and tossed the paper onto the table. "That sounds more like I have an adoring fan. Lian is a drake, not a dragon, and we didn't fly anywhere. The events have been embellished, but she was right about my rage. If you'd seen what he did to her, you'd know my rage too."

Chief Chang'e nodded. "I know, leader Ivory. I don't disapprove. No, I came to thank you on behalf of my sex for ridding our world of such a man."

I shrugged. "It was my pleasure."

"A little bird told me you were offered a position in the Yin Yang Sect." She said, giving me the side-eye.

"Not you too." I groaned. It had almost been a week, and I still was undecided.

"Yes, me too. They offered to build you a Spirit Gate. That's not something they offer to just anyone. You'd be a monstrous fool if you turn them down, Alastair."

I know in my bones what she's saying is true, but can I really leave them to handle things by themselves while I train for a year? "I have responsibilities here."

"Psh. Boy, we were governing ourselves long before you came. With the Razorbacks gone and the rules and guidelines for the alliance set. You're free to pursue your cultivation. Think of it like this. You're going to get stronger in the Yin Yang Sect. If you're stronger, you'll take care of us better. Am I RIght?"

She made an interesting argument. Looking at things from that angle it would be irresponsible to go. I gave her the side-eye. "You could sell water to a fish couldn't you."

She sipped daintily at her tea. "I think I did that yesterday."

I couldn't help it I laughed. Sometimes she was too much. "I give in. I'll join the sect." I wagged a finger at her. "You're a shrewd woman."

She took another dainty step the picture of innocence when she said. "That's why I'm the best."

Cackling like a mad man I went in search of an Echo bird and found one. I recited my agreement to join the sect and gave the bird directions to the sect.

I couldn't lie to myself. I wanted to return to the sect. It was so peaceful and learning to circulate my QI, cleanse my meridians, and store my QI in my dantian. It reminded me of a simpler time in my life.  When it was me and my folks. We'd sit out in my mother's garden and meditate or I'd spar with my dad. It would be nice to get back to that.

With my message sent and Chief Chang'e mission complete, she excused herself and I returned to bed. Jiao and Min were just stirring when I arrived. I greeted both of them with a kiss. Since they moved in I got to spend more time with them and they got to spend more time with each other.

Min and Jiao were now good friends. I would catch them chatting and looking over my mother's fashion magazines commenting on the bold nature of women's fashion in my world. When I found them looking over a Victoria's Secret catalog. Min had asked me. "What's the secret?" I'd laughed my ass off and did my best to explain.

My favorite time with my women was when it was time to eat. I spoiled them rotten. Just yesterday I introduced them to fried fish and potato wedges. The wide-eyed wonder on their faces was a potent drug to me. It called out my inner gourmet. I made every meal extravagant. They all but lost their minds when I made the burgers.

Today I made them eggs benedict. I waited till they had finished their breakfast before I told them the news.

"How exciting," Min said. "How long will you be away?"

I held her hand. "One year of dedicated training then I'll be using a Spirit Gate to move back and forth between here and the sect."

Jiao made a contemplative sound. "That's not bad. One year to show you how capable we are."

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

"I know you'll be worried about us. But we want to show you that we can take care of ourselves." She squeezed my hand. "You can trust us to handle things here."

I nodded my head. "I know you're both capable. Min. You've done so well managing the crops. And Jiao your apparel and ornaments leave on the first caravan. I know you're capable."

I gave her a long kiss that left her dazed. I did the same for Min who giggled drunkenly. I sent out a second Echo bird to the other alliance chiefs calling for a meeting. He preferred the personal touch when possible. He told them his division. Lang and Wha were excited. Zhou, not so much. He had his usual sour expression on his face. "So you're abandoning your responsibilities."

"Hush your mouth." Chief lang pointed his fan at the man threateningly. "Becoming stronger will, in turn, make us stronger. Who would dare attack the valley if a Qi master was in residence?"

"That's right!" Chief Wha said snapping her fan shut. "Thanks to leader Ivory we will soon have commerce to enrich our lives and when he returns from his cultivating our reputation will be known far and wide."

I was grateful for their support. Zhou seeing he was outnumbered wisely shut his mouth. I still had my eye on him. I knew he'd do something someday to betray us in some way. I'd be ready for him.

The reply from the sect came the next day and in the form of a group of artisans. They bore the sect's seal and arrived with three wagons full of material. The head artisan asked me where I wanted the Spirit Gate? I showed him to my mother's garden and chose a spot between two magnolia trees.

The artisans worked tirelessly. Three days later an ornate stone archway was erected. The artisan handed me a jade medallion with the symbol of the yin and yang on it. "I was instructed to give this to you. it's the key to using the gate. Wear it and the gate will take you to the sect." He told me. "I was also told to tell you to report to the sec as soon as your side of the gate was finished. They said no need to pack anything all your needs will be provided at the sect."

I bowed to the chief artisan and thanked him for his speedy construction. I walked over to the bench where my wives sat and gave each a hug and a long kiss. "I'll miss the two of you."

"It's not goodbye," Min said. "We will see you in a year."

Jiao nodded and kissed me again. "Don't forget about us." She pouted, "Don't let those sect girls steal you away."

"No one could steal me away." I scratched a spot behind her ear that made her tails spasm in delight and always brought a blush to her cheeks. "I'll never forget you." I gave them both one last kiss before I turned and walked through the archway.

3