Chapter 28 A nasty surprise
119 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The girls shrieked in unison as the Treasury on the screen bellowed. Recently, we had movie night every night when I was home from the sect. I started the girls off with the classics. Casa Blanca, an affair to remember, singing in the rain, and so on. They enjoyed the classics, but they wanted to watch some of my favorites. So I started them off with my all-time favorite Jurassic Park. Their reactions were priceless.

Mine was currently burying her face into my arm, peeking out to look at the prehistoric monster rampage on the screen. I had thought about putting on aliens first, but I'm glad I didn't. Now I think I'll skip that franchise. If the girls were shrieking every other scene with this JP, the Alien franchise would definitely traumatize them. By the end of the movie, the girls were crying. From relief, the movie was over or the most likable characters survived. I couldn't tell.

I cleared my throat. "Opinions?"

"Scary," Min murmured.

"Very sad." Liu Feng said.

"I liked the blonde woman's clothes." Li Hua said with a contemplative look.

"I feel bad for the old man. He was ultimately betrayed and his dream wasn't realized." Jiao said, dabbing at her eyes.

"I think the ones called Raptors looked rather tasty." She licked her lips. "Alastair, you said those animals were extinct?"

I nodded my head. Trying to explain visual effects and CGI was like pulling teeth, so I let them watch a few behind-the-scenes videos and let the professionals explain it. They now had a better understanding but ti was still hard for them to understand since they didn't have computers or cameras.

"In my world, we have places called museums where you could look at their bones," I told her.

"Why would you look at their bones?" Liu Feng asked.

"Well, museums are academic places. Since their bones are all we have left of them, people show up to learn about them."

"What can you learn from bones?" Min asked.

"Plenty. We can determine their weight by bone density. Movement habits, basic facial structure, and much more. We'll have to watch a documentary or two. They can explain it better than me."

They nodded their heads. They didn't know what a documentary was, but they probably assumed it was like the behind-the-scenes videos I showed them. I gave each of them a kiss before we turned in for the night.

The following morning, I received a summons from the emperor himself. It had been a full month since the Battle at the Demon Gate. It was only a matter of time before I bought the emperor's attention. I guess I was just lucky not to have been summoned before.

The Imperial capital was a much farther distance than I had previously traveled. I was just contemplating what I should pack for the trip when there was a knock at the back door. Intrigued, I opened the door to see Jiutian Xuan standing there. She curtsied and entered the kitchen. I poured her some coffee after she sat at the island table. Jiutian Xuan took a sip and made a face. "You enjoy drinking this?"

I chuckled. "It's an acquired taste. Once you acquire it, coffee quickly becomes addictive." I showed her the sugar and creamer. "Use these to sweeten it to your liking."

Clearly intrigued, she experimented a bit till she had the ratio she liked. "Ah, much better. I see what you mean about it being addictive. I feel oddly invigorated."

I chuckled. "That's the power of coffee." 

"I'm glad you came by because I just received a summons by the emperor," I told her. 

"I know. That's why I've come. I'm going to escort you there myself and introduce you to the court." She smirked. "You can relax. The Emperor was very impressed that you not only solved that problem with the dragon you even called upon one to save the kingdom from the Demons. To say he's interested in meeting you is an understatement." 

My eyes brows shot up, and I ran a nervous hand through my hair. "Well, how are we getting there?"

She beamed and stood. "Pack anything you might need and meet me at my residence in the sect." She left with a slight bounce to her steps. The caffeine was no doubt kicking in. Poor Jiutian Xuan was going to be energized for hours. 

I woke the girls and showed them the summons. "Who's going with you?" Min asked. 

I shook my head. "No one this time. I want you all to stay here, please. Except for Liu fang and Li Mei. I'd like you to check on the Huli Jing. I don't know how long I'll be gone and I want them to be taken care of okay?" 

They nodded. I gave all my girls a kiss and changed into the robes Li Hua made for me. The way they breathed and fit me so perfectly told me they were made of love. I secured my sword to my waist and picked up my seal, bidding the girls goodbye. Not wanting to waste time or keep the emperor waiting, 

I ran to Jiutian Xuan's residence. I was shown to a room that had a very ornate golden spirit gate. In the gate's frame was a pair of golden dragons, their own jaws meeting in the middle, both consuming a bright red orb. I stood marveling a moment before I felt someone entering the room. I turned to see Jiutian Xuan enter wearing the most elegant robes in the sects colors and wearing her hair in an elaborate updo with several hairpins and combs. 

I let out a low whistle. "You look radiant." 

She smiled at me. "Thank you." She held out a hand for me. I took it and she led me through the gate. We exited the gate in a courtyard next to a towering palace. It was easily five times larger than Deming Fai's. The walls were red with gold-colored roof tiles that seemed to reflect the light, making the entire palace shine. I at least hoped it was gold-colored. If not, that was a lot of gold just waiting to get stolen. Then my eyes landed on the small army of guards that stood at every entrance, patrolled this courtyard and many others that I could see at a glance. 

I let Jiutian Xuan lead me through the maze of courtyards to what must have been the throne room. She alerted the guard that we had arrived. I showed them my summons, and they bowed to us both before leaving to inform the emperor. 

We didn't have to wait long. Unlike Deming Fais's throne room, this one was full of courtiers. The emperor's throne wasn't some overdone monstrosity like Deming Fais. His was a simple red throne. The arms of the throne were a pair of dragons. 

The man who sat on the throne caught my attention. He was tall and broad. His arms were thickly muscled and a short black beard covered his face. He looked like a lumberjack in regal robes. But he had a commanding air about him and it was clear he was respected. An announcer called out our names as we approached the throne. We stopped and bowed low with clasped hands.  

He bowed his head and made a dismissive gesture to the courtiers. They sat on chairs that looked like mini thrones. Or maybe they were just elaborate chairs to show their status. 

"Dragon Emperor, I present to you and the court, Alastair Ivory, Hero of Leandra, leader of the Five mountain alliance, head of Foxfire village, and disciple of the Yin Yang Sect." 

I bowed to him again. He smiled and nodded his head. "He looks every bit the Hero I would have expected of Leandra. It's fortuitous that you arrived today. I expected you to take some time getting here." 

"Why is it fortuitous, your majesty?" Jiutian Xuan asked him. 

"Asura, the god of war, also has a hero. She's also here. She's also from your world, Master Ivory." The emperor said. 

"She arrived with a delegation from the Barren continent. Would you like to meet her?" He asked me. 

"Yes please, your majesty. It'll be nice to meet another from my world."

The emperor motioned for a servant to fetch the other hero. Leandra had mentioned the god of war had summoned a hero. Guess it was time for me to meet them. He said it was her. Five minutes later, the doors behind us opened, and I turned to see who it was. The blood in my veins turned to ice. My heart stopped in my chest. 

Standing in a barely-there dress, a small smile on her face, was my ex-wife, Stella. "You!" I couldn't even recognize my voice. It came out in a deep growl. My fingers tightened on the hilt of my sword until my knuckles turned white. 

I wanted nothing more than to charge forward and cut her fucking head off her shoulders. A cool hand was placed over mine. Calming energy washed over me. I turned to see Jiutian Xuan watching me with a placid expression. She gently pulled the hand on my hilt away and held it against her chest. She whispered low enough for my ears only. "Be calm. If you hurt her here, it could start a war."

I took several deep breaths. With each exhale of my breath, my mind cleared. Of course, the god of war brought her. The dirty skank loved mind games. If there was anyone on earth who could get into people's minds and start a war. Hell, if Jiutian Xuan hadn't been here, I might have killed her and started a war without her having to do anything. 

I hated this Asura now. And if it was the last thing I did, I'd make his immortal life a living hell. He'd rue the day he brought this bitch to this world. I turned to the emperor. "Allow me to introduce you to Stella Myer. My ex-wife and the woman who betrayed me." 

The courtiers murmured, and both the emperor and Jiutian Xuan were looking at me with wide eyes. "Your ex-wife?"  The emperor asked, confused. Seeing as people didn't get divorced in this world. 

"Yes. it's a long story, your majesty, but to put it simply, she's not a woman to be trusted and if she's here, it's to cause strife and stir discord among your people." 

I could feel her glaring at me. "Bitter much." 

It took all my will not to turn and snap at her. "I would caution you to not trust her." 

"I am here at the behest of the Immortal Emperor to extend a hand of peace," Stella said, walking up to stand next to me. 

One swipe of my sword and she would be dead. One swipe and I'd be truly free of her. But I was Leandra's hero. I couldn't fall into Asuras trap or Stellas. I shrugged, "I've warned you. Believe me or not, I've warned you." 

I bowed low and spun on my heels and left the throne room, not stopping for anyone or anything. I didn't stop till I was at the courtyard where the gate was. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it since it was Jiutian Xuan's private gate. 

I tried to calm my racing heart and my raging Qi. I sat on the ground and began meditating. I needed to calm down, or I was going to do something stupid. Moments later, I could feel Jiutian place her hand on my back and her calming aura engulfed me. It calmed my mind and allowed me to get my raging emotions under control. 

We sat together in the courtyard, neither of us saying anything. There was nothing for me to say and she didn't ask. In all the time I had been in this world, I had never wished to be anywhere else. Later I'd meet with the Emperor in private and apologize for storming out. But for right now, I wanted nothing more than to sit here and breathe in and out. And that's just what I did. Much later, I would find out what the bitch was doing here and how I could stop her. 

2