Scarlet Fever
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chris' POV

It wasn't here...it wasn't back at the library. It won't stop...I can't stop it from making those sounds. The rhythmic beating of the walls all around me, voices calling out from within the depths of my mind. I can only make out one of them, he's guiding me.

'Hara is that you?' I ask despite the drumming drowning my own thoughts out.

'...'

'Go forward' That same damn voice keeps spitting out directions as if he even knows where to go. Even so I have no other qualms, I just have to follow it.

-

'I did not mean for this...he found you before I could' A more soothing tone this time, the voices in the back also calming themselves a little more as if following his accord.

'What do you mean?' I question him but only to receive no response...great.

'Left' Where the hell is he guiding me to

'Forward, Left, Forward...I hear it.'

'Hear what?' Once again no response. But I immediately recognise the place I'm headed, my room.

'In front of you' I face a picture a painting of Eden, I forgot her natural beauty that suited the look of a queen...one of the few people I truly did consider a friend. 'Move it' He tells me, in which I do but only to find nothing but a blank wall. "DAMN IT JUST-" A sharp pain of electricity pulses through my skull feeling like it's split open, throwing me against the floor as my body slams against the hard wood.

Managing to stand back up I face the wall once again...a small slice placed through it as if it was meant to have something slid into it. "I quite literally don't have time for this", pulling my arm back and forcing it into the wall I feel around the opening that I've never noticed before...something fluffy? Pulling it out to reveal a book covered in a grey pelt...a wolf's pelt? What kind of fucked up dude makes a book made out of a wolf then places it into a literal pack house of them. The title reading, "The Unrestrained". "Well this better be interesting to say the least" I laugh a little, seemingly easing the tension in my head.

"ROGUES!" Scarlet's little head comes speeding around the corner and barging into me, barely looping her arms around my frame as she shakes a little. "Fucking again!?" I ask while I feel her nod against my stomach.

"Stay here, I'll be back as soon as I can" Pulling her arms off me and dashing towards the front of the house, seeing the guards fighting through the windows of the halls. Admittingly I'm still too scared to use my telepathy...they're just gonna have to wait for me to get there.

'Let's go Hara'

'...' Again nothing but a murmur of sounds, he's never done this before.

'Hara please I need you here' I beg as I try shifting, nothing but my own airflow being stopped from the strength of me tensing.

"Wolf?" A little voice peers from behind me and in reaction I turn around, fully prepared to fight.

"Oh it's just you Kevin. Try not to sneak up on people, I'm in a little bit of a hurry so do you mind if I leave now?" Our eyes meeting but I don't wait for a response, instead continuing my run to the outside, but still hearing him talk to himself.

"Not wolf?"

-

"Mercy defend the nursery!" I call out the moment I spot her just finishing off a rogue, leaving burnt up trails of their bodies across the ground. There's quite an increasing amount of them but they seem weak and definitely outnumbered compared to us. "I'm gonna head deeper into the forest where it looks like they're coming from, one of you follow me". "Yes sir" A new guard yells over the growling of wolves and making his way over to me. "Your name's Anthony, correct?" I ask as I recognise him from training. "Yes sir, you can rely on me!" He smiles brightly and proceeds to follow me.

It's daybreak, the sun's sandy glow casting an orange glow throughout the trees as I meet eyes with four wolves...one of their eyes a dark red, "Be careful of that one" I point towards the bigger one of them, it's dark crimson eyes giving away the sheer time it's spent just ravaging away at the living creatures that it's came across. "Shift, but I admit I can't follow with you just yet. Do your best" I inform the guard in which they proudly do, earning my praise.

'Hara please' One last beg

'...' Nothing...okay

The bigger wolf being more interested in my guard it makes it's way over to him, nearly blending into the surroundings of seasoned leaves with it's pure brown coat. "Be. Careful." I inform him once more with a tone filled with order. Getting a little distracted I notice the other 3 prancing after me, spit and drool leaking from their mouths as if I'm their first meal in years. I refuse to die to something so disgusting. Setting my hand on fire and leaning back, preparing to uppercut the approaching wolf unbeknownst to it. A jaw cracking sound echoes as it's sent flying back into the trees, it's body lying still for a moment before getting back up again...fuck sake.

"You won't make this easy will you?" I rhetorically ask it, while smirking to myself in the moment. But taking my eyes off the other two...where did they go? The clamping sound of jaws alarming me to my back as one of them takes a chunk of my flesh between it's teeth, holding on for it's life. Reaching both my arms behind me and having to rip my own back's skin off along with the wolf's weight off. Bringing it back around to my front and kneeing it in the stomach hearing ribs cracking under the force of my leg, satisfying my need to hurt these fuckers. Tossing it to the side after setting it's fur on fire seeing it run frantically from tree to tree trying to put itself out but only damaging itself further until it finally flops to the floor. "So you do feel pain huh?"

The whimper of a wolf catching my attention as I spot Anthony's paw in the mouth of the bigger rogue...pulling and pulling, his screams becoming more apparent to me as it breaks me out of my daze of shock. Running over to him but being stopped by another smaller rogue biting my ankle, "Fuck. Off." Trying to kick it off as I limp to a tree and ram it's body against it, flames coming out of the pressure of my kicks. Blackening it's white coat with each flicker of light. A grotesque sound of bones being torn apart I look over to Anthony once again...his leg now in the mouth of the rogue...no longer connected to his own body. "I'm...sorry" He calls out, making me immediately regret my actions as a beta once again. A tear falling from my eye, feeling that sense of hopelessness wash over me once again.

"It keeps happening...repeating itself through my life doesn't it? Haha" My laughter breaking along with my own thoughts. The rogue continuing to eat Anthony's body, not caring that he's very much still alive. Ignoring the pain of the rogue still attached to my ankle I sprint up and kick it in the stomach, launching it into the air. The impact of it's body crunching on the ground, it immediately gets up and gives me a clear smile, knowing what it just did. A strong stench of blood hitting my nose as it swarms into my body. The first wolf with it's jaw broken now dead under a tree, killing itself while covering the grass into a vermillion floor.

The last two remaining wolves, an ankle biting flea and the smirking soon to be carpet still licking it's teeth trying to clear off the meat from Anthony. Wasting no time he leaps for my arm, pulling me to the floor and allowing the other one to let go and chomp into my side. My immediate reaction of yelping in pain being silenced by my will to live...I don't have any spare time to waste on needless actions. I'm not laying here...I'm not gonna take it this time...you won't take someone from me again.

'HARA!' My final plead to the other half of my soul

'...' Feeling like an hour of silence for the moment in time, I feel betrayed. Disgusted by my own body, I want power. I want to live.

'I can help you, although I cannot confirm your success. His control over you has stopped us becoming one, an incomplete vessel at best.' The guiding voice whispers into my head, informing me of my only option.

"So be it." Speaking out loud and of course getting no reaction from the rogues trying to devour me. Nothing but those in my head voices now calling out, almost welcoming me. My legs snapping into a new placement, an agonizing pain of a first shift I haven't felt ever since I was a pup. 'Break...break' I hurriedly chant in my own head, the process taking far longer than a normal shift. An image of that same wolf...the one in my dreams, beaming past my vision as it smiles. Slamming the ground with my legs, the earth below my feet leaving a sizable pit. The smaller wolf still uncaring and continuing to biting deeper and deeper. The bigger releasing me from his jaws and standing back. My body moving on it's own as I stand up, stumbling a little as I stand a grand height that's unfamiliar to me. I can't use my flames...feeling like there's a wall in my very blood I resort to my physical strength. "Why are you scared now? You were just having the time of your life, weren't you?" Grabbing the dwarfed wolf, putting it in front of me and shoving my arm down it's throat, stretching claws out and spinning it around. "Hmmm you're quite the smoothie aren't you?" Laughing even harder at the eyes of it staring at me up and down as if I'm the monster here. I just wanted to live. This isn't wrong is it?

Removing my arm and slamming the lifeless corpse to the side I take the chance to acknowledge my appearence...my right arm that of a wolf but the left still very much human, incomparable in size and weight. My legs the only symmetrical part of me, hearing the paws of the last rogue turning on it's heels and trying to make a run for it. "Why are we trying to run now?" My vision changing, seeing clouds of ruby sparkles flying through the air. Ignoring them for the time being and kicking the dirt up as I launch myself towards the perplexed wolf hiding itself under a tree. "So you do feel fear?" I question, my voice falling a deeper pitch almost as if it doesn't belong to me. The rogue's whimpers growing louder with each inch closer I extend my arm..."Why did you know to run but your pal didn't?" Feeling my smile grow from ear to ear, placing my hand on the rogue's muzzle and pressing it into itself. The whimpers gone and silenced.

 

Author's Note: No I didn't forget my other characters exist, I admit I'm just slightly struggling to know when I shift to their side of the story.

1