Chapter 2: Shaking up the mundane
248 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wave goodbye to Fraldy and Alexie before heading home for lunch. I always eat lunch at home, the food my dad prepares is ten times better than that slop they serve at the cafeteria. Alexie usually joins me, but as class monitor, she apparently had to show that arrogant Lunarian around school.

After 10 minutes of walking, I finally arrive at our home. the farm-styled building before me isn’t huge or anything, It’s actually quite small compared to other houses in the village, but it’s detached and even has a small garden, which is more than enough for me and my dad.

My dad’s spacecraft isn’t in the garage, looks like he already left for work. As an underwater welder, it’s not unusual for him to work at rather weird hours, sometimes from 12.00-21.00 other times from 7.00-17.00. The only thing that’s consistent is that he’s rarely home…

After walking through our biometric-scan and entering the front door, I immediately head for the fridge, but am met with disappointment when… *SIGH* Looks like dad didn’t have enough time to prepare anything this morning… Although it doesn’t compare to dad’s cooking, guess I’ll just have to use the food printer.

I input the recipe for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but the stupid thing won’t start.

“God! What now?”

[ERROR] Spice cartridge empty. To order a new set of cartridges for only 167.80 UC: [click here]

“You don’t even need spice to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! *SIGH* These scamming fucking printer companies…”

Why does everything have to be so annoying… Guess I’ll just skip lunch…

God, I’m not looking forward to continuing Mr. Gerson’s lecture this afternoon. It also doesn’t help that I still have 2 more years of compulsory education left, I’m already 20! I heard you only had to study until you were 18 in the past! That would have been nice…

I slouch down on our sofa to read some comics on our hologram-projector.

*SIGH* This is all just so boring… I know that I have no right to complain when I already have so much. A caring, albeit overprotective, father, a lovely girlfriend, relatively good grades… I… I just… I don’t know, it feels like I’m missing something in my life… Excitement! Adventure! Some change…

I want to work towards an important goal, something that I could devote myself to… But I don’t really have anything like that…

I would welcome a Virus attack, an arrogant Lunarian who murders my father, a pirate invasion, an older teacher who picks me up as a disciple or really anything else that would shake up my everyday mundane life… They say that you have to improve yourself, but that’s difficult without motivation… When you already live comfortably.

Oh well, let’s just go with the flow for now, you never know what might happen in the future. Just staying here all depressed won’t help me either.

I get up and pour myself a glass of apple juice before heading back to school.

“Yo, what’s up Fral!”

“…”

Hmm? Did he not hear me? Why is he ignoring me?

I take a seat in between Fraldy and Alexie.

Meanwhile Mr. Gerson already started his lecture, it’s about something that I couldn’t care less about, the governance system of the GTC:

“As you all should know, at the top we have the council, they control the entire coalition and are quite mysterious, they have lived for hundreds of years and consist of only Lunarians. Directly beneath them are the ministers and war officers, ministers deal with internal politics and are elected by the people…”

I already know all this… Instead of paying attention, I decided to elbow-poke Fraldy and complain:

“Yo Fral, don’t you think that those printer companies charge ridiculous prices?”

“Shhh! Don’t bother me, I’m trying to listen to the professor!”

What’s up his ass today?

“Who can tell me what the war officers of the GTC are tasked with?”

*SIGH* Guess I’ll just banter with Mr. Gerson if Fraldy isn’t up for it today.

Without raising my hand I start answering the question, well, I’m the only one that answers Mr. Gerson’s questions anyways, so he usually doesn’t mind.

“Well Ralph, the war officers have the arduous task of expanding the GTC’s influence by conquering planets in an attempt to satiate the never-ending greed of the council. The, of course, get rewarded handsomly for their efforts, not only in riches, but also in fame.”

“Wrong! How dare you call the council greedy, the war officers are only allowed to conquer hostile or uninhabited planets! And don’t call me Ralph, I’m your professor, call me Mr. Gerson!”

“What do you mean wrong? You know that planets with primitive organisms on them are also classified as uninhabited right?  According to the law, almost all life forms are primitive when compared to Lunarians!”

“Don’t talk back to your teacher! And next time you have to raise your hand, otherwise I’ll have to remove you from the auditorium!”

W-What the hell was that? That wasn’t like our usual bickering, the professor actually seemed angry…

Whatever, now there’s only one thing worthy enough of my undivided attention… The cleavage of my o so lovely girlfriend...

Aaaahhh, so calming…

Just as I was beginning to relax, she suddenly covers up the breast-window with her hands…

Seriously?! What the fuck is going on today?

-Explanations-

Food printer: Basicly a 3D printer that uses food cartridges to print out all kinds of food, while the end result looks pretty aesthetic, they don't taste nearly as good as the real thing.

UC: Universal Currency is the currency used throughout the GTC's territory. Comparable to an american dollar.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, I wonder why everyone is suddenly so cold towards Ryder? Find out in the next one ;)

7