Chapter 5: Motivation
229 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So when I finally asked him about it, my dad told me: ‘Randy, humans are hypocritical creatures: yearning for adventure, dreaming of change… Meanwhile, they themselves are busy coming up with a thousand excuses why they should just keep their heads down and continue what they’re doing, walking down the already carved out path in front of them. The funny thing is that they are actually right, their excuses and reasons are valid! Logical even!... And so they continue, unfulfilled, shackled by their logic and reason… The human being is quite a sad creature when you look at it in this way…’ My dad didn’t elaborate further, but that conversation always stuck with me.”

A pause fell between my dad and I, so I decided to interrupt the silence:

“So… I should just give up and keep my head down?”

*SIGH* “I also came to that conclusion when my dad first said that to me, but I couldn’t accept it. I refused to… And so I lived my entire life trying to prove him wrong. I quit my high-paying government job and eloped with your mother to the countryside… As you know, when you turned two, Marie left us… If my dad would have still been alive back then, he probably would have laughed at me with a big ‘I told you so!’… He was quite the cynical man…”

He normally never talks about mom… He would always avoid that topic whenever I brought it up…

“And I have to admit, raising you alone was pretty difficult for me, I would be lying if I said that I never regretted my decision… But as I saw you growing up into the fine young man that you are now, I slowly realized that my dad was wrong. We might not have a lot of money and sure, my work is exhausting, but you gave my life something a cushy government job could have never given me, meaning. All those fond memories I have of raising you could have never been purchased with money…. What I’m trying to say Ryder, is that you sometimes just have to jump in the abyss, even if you come up with a thousand reasons not to, even if you’ll regret it later… It’s still better than living a comfortable, meaningless and empty life. Reach for the moon my boy, even if you miss, you’ll still land among the stars.”

That last line was a bit cheesy… But…

“Thanks dad, I think I needed to hear that… I’m also sorry for yelling at you, You didn’t deserve that… I know what I have to do now, I’ll be going to school tomorrow. You’ll continue to support me right? Even if I’m going to do something really stupid?”

“Always, you’re my son after all. I might have been a bit overprotective in the past, to be honest, I was afraid… Afraid you’d also leave me… You remind me of her sometimes… But I was thinking about it and I’ll always remain your dad, you wouldn’t be able to change that even if you wanted to… I can’t hold on to you forever, you need to make your own mistakes and learn from them. Just know that you can always come home whenever things seem hopeless, a room and a hot meal will be waiting here for you…”

“Thanks dad… That means a lot to me.”

“Now get your ass out of your room so we can have dinner together.”

“Sure, that sounds nice.”

I had a relatively good sleep that night, the only one I got for the past six days.

But those sleepless nights weren’t all wasted either, I didn’t just sit still and mope in my room all day, or well, not the entire day at least…

I made plans, and after getting the motivation I needed from my dad, I decided to act on them. I’m going to be a war-officer! It might be kind of a petty goal right now, I just want to piss of Fraldy and Alexie after all. But who knows what I’ll learn or who I’ll meet during my journey? I’m just going to jump… Jump and hope for the best. I can’t stay here and rot away… I would rather die…

With those rather bleak words of determination, I head to the kitchen in order to… Bake some cookies? Not the epic ‘first step’ of my adventure I expected, but they’ll come in handy…

After leaving a note behind for dad, I nervously head towards school, my plan isn’t exactly airtight after all… I could easily get caught.

While rehearsing every step in my head over and over again, I finally arrived at school.

Entering the classroom, I was the target of a bunch of stares and whispers, but I didn’t really let it bother me. I’ll be leaving this planet today anyways.

Mr. Gerson’s lecture wasn’t really all that interesting, he seemed a bit surprised at the sight of me attending, but didn’t address it. Instead he just rambled on about the different galactic alliances:

“The Galactic Terran Coalition has the third most planets under its rule of all the alliances, after the Lucien Empire and the Greater Planetary Union or GPU. However, when you consider that the GTC is the youngest alliance of the 50 top alliances, you’ll get a better picture of the real strength of the GTC-… Yes Ryder? Do you have a question?”

“I just wanted to ask if I could go to the bathroom Mr. Gerson?”

“Well, you did address me in a more formal manner, so I guess you learned your lesson… You can go ahead.”

“Thanks Mr. Gerson.”

‘You spineless brown-noser’ I wanted to add, but I better not piss him off yet. I needed to excuse myself from the auditorium If I wanted to execute my plan…

After 15 minutes or so, I returned to the classroom.

Nothing eventful really happened during the rest of Mr. Gerson’s lecture, but I was quite excited for my final ‘physical education’ class here. PE was always my favorite subject, and I was quite good at it too. Too bad that I won’t be able to goof off with Fraldy...

Only after the hour-long PE session was over, and I was just about to head to the cafeteria, did something happen that I hadn’t planned for. Lucien came up to me, with Alexie trailing behind him.

“So you dared to show your face again here mud-crawler? How brave, even though nobody wants you here, you still showed up. You showed up to spend your entire morning with a guy who stole your girlfriend!”

He suddenly gets a lot closer in order to whisper something in my ear. Well, I say whisper, but everybody around us could clearly hear it.

“By the way, you are really lucky, Alexie was amazing in bed last night. Or should I say that you WERE really lucky…”

Alexie blushes and fiddles with her hair all cute like… She used to only do that around me…

*SIGH* This asshole really doesn’t change… If it were me from a few days ago, I probably would have already charged him, but I can’t risk getting knocked out like before. I can only embarrass him verbally:

“Yeah right, we’ve just showered togheter after PE, trust me, you won’t be able to satisfy her with that length. During the entire 5 minutes, she was probably praying for grandpa Lurker to join in.”

Lucien’s cheeks turn red out of embarrassment, he probably expected me to be all docile or charge him again.

“Y-You dare talk about grandpa like that? The patriarch of the esteemed Lurker family?!”

“Oh, so you’re not refuting the micro-penis or 5 minutes part?”

Lucien’s cheeks turn even redder as he grabs me by my throat and lifts me up in the air.

“Such audacity coming from an insignificant mud crawler!”

He punches me in my stomach before dropping me.

*BLEEERGH*

I throw up my breakfast as Lucien starts laughing… Fuck… That really hurt, he must have done some serious damage because I’m pretty sure I didn’t have any blood for breakfast… At least I’m not unconscious though.

Alexie tries to show me some sympathy, but I think she’s just trying to score points with Lucien:

“Stop trying to fight with Lucien, I don’t like seeing you get hurt. He is way too strong for you, he already had a flux-guide installed since he was 12, most of his qualities are around the D rank.”

Bitch, did it look like I was trying to fight him?!

-Explanations-

Qualities: With a flux-guide, apart from 'awakening' genes, you can also improve qualities like: muscle density or immune stystem.

Rank D: The ranking for qualities, from weak to strong: F - E - D - C - B - A - S - S+ 

Also sorry for the long walls of text in the beginning of this chapter lol, hopefully it made some sense though.

8