Chapter 10: Shuri Town part 1
102 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Edited by: Waning_Crescents


After closer inspection of the victims’ apartments, Vergil and Elena found small doses of drugs hidden in either floor panels or embedded in walls. Both men went through great lengths to conceal their stashes, which explained why this wasn’t discovered the first time around. 

The police officers, who examined the apartments at that time, didn’t even look for anything related to narcotics as nothing pointed into that area.

Furthermore, the re-examination of the victims showed residues of opiates mixed with other substances in their bloodstream. The coroner established that the contents of this drug had a high addictive effect and if not mixed carefully and precisely it could even kill the user.

Under these circumstances, Nolan called an emergency meeting and informed everyone of the facts. However, they faced a real problem, because everything indicated that the drug got distributed through Shuri town; an area off-limits to the CIB.

 

“This is unbelievable!” Vergil stomped into his office. “Even now the government won’t lift the restrictions? Don’t they get the urgency of this matter?”

Elena, who followed behind him, entered the office as well. “Can’t be helped, if they would lift it, then they would have to support Shuri Town again. After neglecting it for almost two years, I can only imagine the money they would need to put into it.”

“So what? Abandoning them was wrong from the start, but we had no other choice but to follow suit!” Vergil slumped down into his chair at his desk. “All these politicians think about is money, I am so sick of it!”

“Don’t be so loud.” Elena hushed him before she closed the door. “I understand how you feel, and I agree with you. I never liked the idea about abandoning the people there, but there is nothing we can do about it.”

“I know…” Vergil knitted his brows. “Guess for now, the Conciliators are on their own in this matter.”

 

***

As soon as Vince got notified of what the CIB discovered, he apprised his subordinates of the situation.

“Of course, it’s Shuri Town,” Sigal crossed his arms in front of his chest and frowned. “That’s like finding a needle in a haystack.”

“Or entering the demon’s lair,” Asher added.

Nowe, Asher’s partner, stood beside him; his short black hair unkempt and his clothes in disarray. “Don’t worry! This time I am here, and nothing will happen to you!”

“You are exactly one of the reasons why I am worried, you maniac!” Asher could feel a vein pop in his head. “And what’s with your hair and clothes? Can’t you, for once, show up like a normal human being?”

“I was playing games till late at night…I almost overslept,” Nowe replied with a sulking tone in his voice.

Asher placed his head in his palm and let out an exasperated sigh. “You are hopeless…”

Vince cleared his throat. “Anyway, now that the CIB can’t assist us, we have no other choice but to take matters into our hands. Shuri Town falls under our jurisdiction anyway, so that shouldn’t pose any issues.”

The problem lay more in how to handle the case from now on. The culprits clearly sent a message that if they meddled further into their business, they wouldn’t just stand by and watch, but take action. This put the Conciliators into a tough position.

“I guess you want us to handle it as if it’s an ordinary patrolling through the area?” Sigal asked.

Vince nodded. “Exactly. We must approach this with caution. Although I am sure they don’t expect us to just sit idle. We just have to be ahead of them, that’s our only option at the moment.”

Everyone agreed. Even though taking any steps posed a risk, they couldn’t just let the criminals roam free. They had to act and stop them before it got out of hand.

“Alright.” Vince turned to Asher and Nowe. “You two will be in charge of the east and north side of Shuri Town.” Then he turned to Sigal. “You and—”

Right then, a sound of knocking at the door interrupted him and Cal entered the room.

“Ah, there he is.” Vince’s gaze shifted to Cal. “How did it go?”

“I got clearance to return to work.” 

“I’m glad to hear that.” Vince’s lips curved into a smile. “Then you can join the investigation right away.”

Cal nodded, moved up and stopped beside Sigal, who appeared neither upset, nor annoyed, but somewhat troubled.

Then his gaze fell upon Asher and Nowe, colleagues he briefly saw before, but never had the chance to interact with.

“This is Asher Griever and Nowe Hunt. I am sure you have seen them at least as you joined us,” Vince introduced them. “They will join this operation.”

Nowe approached him with his energetic nature; a welcoming smile on his lips. “Nice to meet you!” He held his hand out.

While this young man in front of him had a handsome face and beaming eyes, his overall appearance was messy, which took Cal by surprise. 

“C-Cal Vaughn, nice to meet you too.” He shook the other’s hand.

Then Cal turned to Asher, who glanced at him but remained silent, which baffled him.

What is that about? Dislike at first glance? I bet him and Sigal get along just fine.

“Don’t mind him,” Sigal uttered without looking at Cal.

Cal lifted his head and gazed at his partner. The meaning behind Sigal’s expression from the day before still lingered at the back of his mind, yet it even seemed as if that man tried to comfort him. This just added to Cal’s confusion.

“As I was saying.” Vince got back to the topic at hand. “Asher and Nowe will patrol the east and north side of Shuri Town, and Sigal and Cal the west and south side. Additionally, I will also deploy our snipers from the Corps division to back you up.” 

Then he directed his attention to Sigal. “Please fill Cal in on the details on the way.”

Sigal nodded.

“Then let’s get this started, and don’t forget: no unnecessary risks!” Vince added to conclude the meeting.

 

As the Conciliators arrived at Shuri Town, the assigned teams split up to take up their post for this operation.

The first thing Cal spotted as he set foot into that area was the bad condition people lived in. Most buildings appeared to be close to collapsing. Broken walls, holes in various places, which only enjoyed a temporary fix through plastic covers to provide at least some protection against weatherly conditions.

After the government abandoned this place two years ago, they got cut-off from any financial support altogether. This not only affected the maintenance and repairs, but also led to a downfall in the market as distribution of goods and food supplies stopped. To not get branded as murderers, the government sent in merchants once a month to give them a chance to resupply, but whoever lacked the money to do so had to starve.

While Cal walked along the streets, his gaze fell upon the dirt that was scattered around everywhere, along with the stench of blood, urine and all other kinds of unpleasant odors that wafted into his nostrils. Then his gaze shifted to the people who sat at the pavements begging for money or food; their appearance showing their suffering and pain.

At this sight, Cal’s chest tightened. He never entered this area before, and even though he heard about the conditions in Shuri Town, seeing it with his own eyes exceeded his expectations. In comparison to anything he saw in Colst, this area shocked him the most.

How can they let this happen? Not all of them are criminals. What about these poor people who can’t afford to get out and are stuck here?

Through the corner of his eyes, he caught a glimpse of Sigal as he stopped at a house, which really looked more like a shack in its condition. However, in front of the shack stood a young woman along with many children, who laughed and jumped around his partner.

Cal tilted his head as he drew closer. What is he doing?

A tug on his right sleeve pulled the young investigator out of his thoughts. His eyes wandered around, but he couldn't see anybody; another tug followed. “Hey, mister! Are you with that other man?”

Cal’s eyes fell on the little boy that stood next to him and barely reached over his knees. “Oh, hi there.” He crouched down to face the kid. “Yeah, we are together here.”

Then Cal glanced at Sigal to confirm that he couldn’t listen in on this conversation. “Say, what is he doing?”

“Oh, you must be new!” the boy exclaimed. “That kind man is always giving us some food and money.”

Kind man? Cal chuckled.

 “And, and!” He jumped up and down in excitement. “And candy too! We get to eat candy!!”

Cal blinked. “And how often is he doing that?”

“Every time he comes here!” The kid put his index finger on his chin. “I don’t know, but it feels very often.”

“Ooooh, that’s really nice of him. I am really happy to hear that.” Cal’s lips curved into a kind smile.

“Yeah! Mrs. Shayla says that it’s thanks to him that we have food.” The boy grabbed Cal’s wrist with both of his tiny hands. “Come, come!”

“I will be right there, just go ahead.”

The boy nodded and hurried away.

Cal got back up. Kind, huh? 

His eyes held a warmth to them, and a soft smile formed on his lips as all the kids ran around Sigal and tugged on his clothes whilst laughing and smiling.

He really is something else.

Then he trudged over to them, where the woman thanked his partner and then urged the kids to go back inside.

 

“That’s why you carried the bag.” Cal walked beside Sigal. “What’s this place anyway?”

“An orphanage. Many kids lost their parents since the government cut them off, so this woman took them in.”

“I see…” Cal then glanced around. “How can someone even earn money here?”

“Mostly not by legal means.” Sigal folded the bag and put it away. “Even if it doesn’t look like it at first glance, this place is dominated by unpleasant people, so watch your steps.”

Cal nodded. 

Yeah, at first, all you see is the suffering of the people, but that’s not all this place holds. The reason the government abandoned them was to contain the criminals or give them less leeway to rampage when they couldn’t even afford the basic needs. Cal knitted his brows. In other words, rotting them out this way, but why sacrifice the innocent along with them? They could have at least relocated them. What are they thinking?

0