The Eye of the Exalt
338 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quenton wasn’t entirely sure what to expect when he was told at dinner that they were going to the Delnos in the morning. The Delnos apparently being what they called churches here, apparently, it was some autumn festival of some kind. Aliss had explained that first there would be a trip to the Delnos where the festival would be opened and then the family would go to an event hosted by the Lindwood family. It would be a dinner and some socialization while the nearby villages in the county were celebrating with various fairs and the like.

He would have preferred to go to one of the fairs over the stuffy aristocratic dinner. Maybe the fairs would be like those I have seen in so many animes? Quenton thought wistfully as he petted Hop while looking out through the window of his room.

The real worry he was struggling with was the Delnos excursion, his mother had never been religious and he wasn’t really sure what was done in a normal church let alone a weird fantasy one. Like he thought that there would be a priest saying a bunch of stuff up in front, but would have to stand up? Sing? Dance? Was there some special thing that he as a Lady would have to do?

Maybe you would know if you had read more of the Tetricon. Quenton berated himself as he pulled out the thick tome and stared down at the diamond on the cover. The problem was that the Tetricon was an immensely heavy and boring book, which made it far less interesting to read than the wyvern booklet or the novels he had been able to take a peek at. Not that they were easy reads either compared to the light novels, but at least they could be somewhat fun.

So, Quenton did what he had done so many times before in his old life. He tried to cram through the Tetricon in one sitting, determined to not embarrass himself or his family.


 

“Milady?” A voice said carefully and then with more insistence behind it and Quenton murmured in response. “Five more minutes.” His neck was hurting terribly and he felt his forehead pressing against something solid rather than a pillow. Thoughts blurred around in his head until he felt someone gently shake his shoulder.

Quenton snapped his eyes open as he felt the strong hand on his shoulder and an image of a man sneering with a knife raised above him flashed through his mind. He sat up straight with a squeak of both pain and fright as the terror of the memory blended in with the horrible pain in his neck. “Fuck!” Quenton exclaimed as his hands went to the back of his neck, and the pain there only got worse as he felt the headache of Detect Faux Pas hitting him like a hammer.

He rapidly blinked until the headache passed and he took the moment to glance about. Oh, joy…I fell asleep while trying to cram in that holy book. Quenton was seated by the desk in his room and dressed in a floral patterned beige nightgown. Also, Ella the Scullery Maid was standing in the room having dropped her basket and looked absolutely scandalized and delighted.

Oh crap. Quenton thought and was happy to have been able to not vocalize that particular thought. “I-I am sorry Ella, I was attempting to study before bed and time must just have slipped out from beneath me.” He said while trying to salvage his dignity.

“I heard nothing milady,” Ella said while trying to disguise a wide impish grin while curtsying. “I am glad to have been of some assistance, milady.” She said as she took the basket and moved over to the fireplace. Quenton was more than certain that Ella was probably going to spread rumors about this, but he was both too tired and distracted by the Delnos trip to care about it.

He ambled over to bed like a zombie and sighed in relief as he crawled underneath the covers and propped up his head against the pillows. That was doing wonders for his aching neck, but while he felt tired his mind was not able to sleep. So he absently felt at his face and noticed that the book had left imprints in it, and he hoped that Aliss would be able to help him with that come the morning.

Ella on her end was quietly and expertly building a fire in the hearth while humming some kind of tune. I doubt I would have been able to hear that normally. Quenton absently speculated as he observed the young woman at work. Maybe she could help me? He acted on that thought rather than let doubt cripple him and spoke up.

“Do you know much about the Exalt and the Tetrarchs, Ella?” He saw the girl tense slightly at the attention but she stood up, turned, and shrugged in response. “About as much as everyone does, milady.” She spoke with a voice clearly restrained by curiosity or some other emotion, but Quenton paid that no mind as he spoke.

“Tell me what you know, please.” He tried to give a reassuring smile to the girl and hoped that it would be enough to have her tell him. Quenton had passed out around the part where the Fourth Emperor decreed that wearing colored garments on ships was a grave sin against the Exalt, and how salt should be rubbed in their wounds after a lashing until they repent.

It truly was a miracle how that raving man could make the most hilarious and brutal of decrees seem so boring in text. Or maybe it had been the people who had recorded his visions who were behind it. Whoever it was, I want to slap them. Quenton thought as he waited for Ella to speak.

“Well, you have the Exalt who made the world and such. He was our very first Emperor and when his time came he had four sons born by his second wife. The first wife had only been giving birth to monsters and she was no good, so she had been banished away. Illyria the woman made from moonlight was wicked, but the good one was Sera and she was made from sunlight. ” Ella began to explain and Quenton was happy that someone finally just relayed this in a straightforward manner. Straightforward and a bit jumbled, sure but at least he could follow this.

“Anyway, Illyria did wicked things and corrupted the paradise of the first empire which made the Exalt sad and he left the world to rule the sky. But he left the world to his four sons who ruled over a part each. The First got Zemil, the very soil and p-planet itself.” Ella looked proud of herself as she forced the word planet out and got more animated in her explanation.

“He is judgment and mountains and such. The Second was given the winds to explore and discover, he is also in charge of conquest. My older brother is a sailor in the navy and he says that they pray to him every day before they go out to sea, and while out on the water.” Ella beamed with pride as she suddenly diverted the topic to talk about her brother.

“My brother is very good they say and he almost got shot once by an enemy cannon while fighting pirates. He’s lucky to be on a ship with other Grenlin folk, we’re the best on the water in all of Molyra.” She stopped and blushed as she noticed Quenton’s puzzled expression and ehemed. “I ought to continue my talk of the Exalt an’ all, oughtn't I?” Quenton nodded.

I don’t really mind hearing about her brother, but I just want to not look like an idiot tomorrow. Quenton thought to himself as Ella continued still blushing slightly throughout. “Anyway, err…the Third was not given lands but the hearts of men and through it the heart of magic. He is our industry, our magic, and fire.” She spoke almost like she was reciting a lesson she had learned in school the day before.

“The Fourth was given the Oceans and with it Stygia, where he rules over the drowners and keeps us all safe because he protects the homeland and the world. He is the seas, the guardian, and cold. Anyway, they were given the world and protect the empire as long as we do good things, pray, and go to the Delnos on important days. Y’know that kind of stuff milady.” Ella rapidly finished the explanation and added a final shrug before getting a look of trepidation and asking.

“But you would already know this wouldn’t you milady? With Mrs. Seaver and tutors an’ such?” She looked terrified after having asked the question. Quenton had pondered just that and responded with a mix of a lie and truth. “Well yes, but I wanted to hear what you knew. Also between you and me, Mrs. Seaver can sometimes be busier with teaching us the difference between tablespoons and bouillon spoons.” He winked at that and Ella giggled before looking expectantly at him.

Quenton was at least a bit more clued in now even if he had read bits of this before, and he realized that she probably needed to rush off to work so he said. “Thank you, Ella, you can go now if you want.” Ella gave him a genuine smile in return and said. “Thank you milady.” And then promptly hurried off like a ghost in the night, leaving Quenton to stew on his worries and thoughts until he fell asleep again.

 


 

Aliss had not been happy with the “book-face” that Quenton had acquired over the course of the night, but she had managed to disguise it with makeup and helped outfit him with a peach-colored dress with puffy sleeves and an elegant bonnet decorated with peachtree petals.

Quenton was sad that he had to leave Hop behind on this trip, but even Camilla had been forced to leave Candle with Aliss and the other maids of the manor. Apparently, the two sisters were odd for putting as much work into their pet monsters as they did. Viola had explained to Quenton that traditionally the Ladies Maids took care of the more menial aspects of pet ownership, like cleaning up their messes and housebreaking them.

The carriage was quiet that morning as the notable absence of the usual hearty breakfast they enjoyed was felt by all. Ivy was looking a bit better than she had been, even if she spent the entire ride either staring at Quenton or glaring at Tomas, who once again had been off for days to watch the chariot races in Tetrigard.

“It is not the same on the scrying orb.” He muttered defensively through his mustache after Ivy had glared for fifteen minutes into the carriage trip. Rosalind broke into the conversation before Ivy could explode. “So, Mama tell us who do you think we can expect at the Lindwoods today.” Her voice was filled with such sincerity and warmth that Ivy immediately thawed a bit.

“The Tufonts have barely been invited despite their circumstances, as have we. But I know that the Eastfords and Pritchetts have also accepted their invitations. Count Meyor is rumored to also make an appearance, so I expect you all to be on your best behavior so that we do not suffer more of a deleterious downturn in the eyes of our peers.” Everyone, except Tomas who was busy retreating into reading a newspaper, stared pointedly at Quenton who in turn blushed at the attention and the implication.

“Is the festival opening going to be long, Mama? I hope not, last time was terribly dull.” Lyndon muttered grouchily while trying to rub the sleep out of his eyes. Camilla elbowed him after he had been given a small Ivy-glare in response and whispered. “I know it is dull, but we have to look presentable out there. Can’t you do that for me brother?” She asked sweetly in a way that Quenton had never heard her talk to anybody else.

He nodded glumly and seemed clearly inexperienced with corrections, even if it had been just a mild glare rather than a verbal reply. Lyndon remained silent for the rest of the trip and Quenton was happy about it. He is such a little brat. Quenton thought that and he was pretty sure everybody else but their parents agreed with that assessment.

“Could we stop by the village on the way to the Lindwoods, papa? I wanted to see in on the charity gathering I am helping to organize and it would be-” Viola did not get to finish her sentence before Tomas grumbled out. “Not now Viola, we are busy enough as it is. Attend to your nonsense on your own time, today is a family day. Which means we all have to make our sacrifices.” He said self importantly and with some clear feeling of despondency radiating from his eyes.

“Not attending yet another chariot race isn’t really a loss,” Camilla whispered as quietly as a mouse to Quenton, and he struggled not to burst out with a laugh in response. He covered his mouth with his gloved hand and he saw that Ivy noticed. “Merely an itching throat mother. I will be good.” Quenton quickly tried to cover for his slip and she nodded imperiously. “See to it.” Was all that she said and then the carriage finally arrived outside of the Delnos.

It was not the largest building Quenton had seen in this world, but it could give the Warwin mansion a run for its money in the splendor department. The walls were covered in gold and silver on the outside making it a titan of wealth in the pastoral landscape. It was dominated by a gigantic dome with a spire that lead to some kind of enormous diamond shape construct made out of glass.

This is not at all like the churches back home. Quenton thought as he stared out of the carriage window until the door was opened by the coachman. He followed along while trying not to stare too much as the Moray family elegantly made their way to the massive oak doors of the delnos.

On this day they were wide open and Quenton could see that people were already inside and finding their seats, which made the Morays among the few latecomers who had yet to enter. They took their time and when making their way inside they walked past the majority of the people dressed in nice colorful outfits, and over to the foremost rows of benches.

If the delnos had been gilded and decorated on the outside that paled compared to the interior of the building. There were frescoes and murals covering every wall each with a seemingly different motif. On the back wall by the altar grandiose mountains and bountiful fields made up the main decorations along with a stern man with cold black eyes holding an enormous gavel.

The left had winds and ships and proud armies marching together with a smiling man flying above them. Wings and charm rather than imperiousness and judgment. The third was fire, golden and orange flames everywhere and factories pictured along with an ancient man. A withered figure holding an abacus and a phial containing some kind of liquid stood in the center there.

In the back was the most terrifying and imposing wall of all. The swirling and terrifying ocean were depicted there but they all lead to a dark blue pit. A horrific place where no life could thrive, and yet strange creatures of webs and clawing chitin were depicted dragging human figures into it. It had a man floating in the center of it all, holding a net over the pit and a shield on his other arm. His face was almost cruel in countenance and lacked the seriousness of the first, the impish charm of the second, or the quiet wisdom of the third. The fourth was simply cold.

Each wall was also surrounded by decorative pillars and Quenton almost wondered how it was possible to keep this place from being cluttered with art. It took some time before the place fell silent as everybody got into place, but when it did then four figures stepped out before the central diamond altar. One dressed in brown robes, one in grey, one in red, and the final one in black. All of them were men and wore their robes well even if they all seemed to be rather old.

“The time of summer has passed and the Second leaves his attentions to his travels with the winds. Autumn is upon us and we are here to welcome it in, our time of industry, community, and stoking the embers of our glorious empire.” The brown-robed old man spoke first while spreading out his arms grandly.

“Judgement falls upon those who are not industrious in this time, we must all be diligent in our service. Man in the fields and factories, and woman in the home and upon the birthing bed. High and low alike are called upon to produce worth to honor the Exalt who oversees us all.” He continued and at that point, Quenton started feeling his attention slip.

Even if the old man had a booming voice the content of the sermon was so boring that Quenton immediately began to let his thoughts fly to other things. It is really fortunate that I discovered that these Quarrels gives me xp, if Hop can become a real powerhouse then he could help boost me through the ranks. He thought as he idly glanced around the room to see a variety of faces ranging from reverent to attentive to stern, and even fellow bored people like himself.

Then, Quenton looked up at the ceiling, curious to see how it might be decorated compared to the wall. It was just one enormous mural and in it’s way it was far simpler than the walls. Simple tiny little murals that collectively formed one enormous one that was one image.

An eye stared down at the congregation and something in it made it seem like the enormous eye that covered the entire ceiling was staring directly down at Quenton. It was a crimson eye with no emotion and was made with such perfection that Quenton could see individual veins in the eyeball.

However, even if was not made to convey a specific emotion the horrific eye conveyed some sort of silent judgment down on him. It felt like someone was staring down at his soul... Holy christ, that is fucking creep! He thought and glanced about rapidly to see if anyone else looked at the ceiling.

Nobody did, so Quenton tried to avoid looking at it. Yet he could not concentrate at all for the entire rest of the festival opening as he couldn’t shake the feeling of oppressive judgment that came with being constantly watched. It is just a mural calm down. He tried to tell himself multiple times throughout the whole thing, as the gathered believers stood, sat, and prayed at various points.

But he couldn’t shake the feeling that something more was going on with that eye and every time he glanced at it, that same creepiness flowed through him. It was a mural made to make you feel small. Small and exposed and insignificant. The staring eye was enough to make Quenton lose all desire to stay in this place or learn more. He was like an insect pinned beneath the glare of sunlight beneath a magnifying glass, the mice that had noticed a hawk had spotted it. And he didn¨t like it.


“Thank the Exalt that’s over!” Lyndon exclaimed the moment the family entered back into the carriage, he petulantly stuck out his tongue and crossed his arms as he sat down. Quenton was only mildly surprised that neither Ivy nor Tomas scolded him as they sat down in the carriage as well.

But he is right, thank fuck that it’s over. Quenton had not been able to focus on anything but that creepy eye in the ceiling, and especially when he realized it was some sort of optical illusion involved. The eye followed you and looked like it was always staring directly at you the whole time. It had made him hurry out when he had discovered that.

Quenton had noticed that, unlike the other rich-looking people who had been in the Delnos, the Morays did not stay to converse with the others or similar brief socialization. They had just left as quickly as possible without looking undignified. Tomas looked bored and Ivy looked frantic.

When the entire family had slipped into the carriage they began the journey to the Lindwood family’s estate. It was a rather scenic route and unlike when he had gone to the Warwins he got to appreciate looking outside far more. As much as I love Hop. I do have to admit it is nice to be able to just drive like this and look outside without worrying about him. Quenton thought as he stared out the window and looked as the pastoral landscape was slowly replaced by a forest.

He immediately felt guilty and then started to worry that Hop might not be fed enough grasshoppers before his bedtime. Oh, he has never slept without me! I hope he doesn’t freak out. Quenton’s worries must have been pretty clear cuz he felt Camilla lightly elbow him while whispering. “Hop will be well, he has Aliss and Candle there to keep him company.”

She give him a knowing little wink and before he could reply the manor of the Lindwoods appeared among the trees. Viola had told Quenton that House Lindwood was noted for owning three lumber mills and the surrounding linden tree forest. And based on their manor they seem to have manifested their role in the architecture.

The entire manor was built out of wood, it almost looked like a chimera of a house where a log cabin had been fused with a modern house and then again fused with a wooden imitation of the more august manors that Quenton had so far seen. It had a roof covered in living plants that seemed to grow out of the roof itself. Flowers, bushes, bramble, and more stuck out from the roof and in part draped themselves down along the walls.

“They do not have a garden it is said, because their house serves as one,” Rosalind added curtly as she noticed Quenton staring at the manor which was quite amazing, but to his eyes, it didn’t seem as grand as the Moray mansion.

“We are the first to arrive it seems,” Tomas noted as he looked out at the empty courtyard before the manor and Camilla snorted. “Well, that won’t make us seem desperate won’t it?” Her derisive snort and comment were pointedly ignored, but to Quenton it didn’t seem quite the same as with Lyndon. “Maybe we could take a round around their estates unless…oh of course.” Rosalind sighed as the servants along with the Lindwoods trooped out of the manor and began standing at the ready.

“They’ve seen us so we ought to just get it over with,” Viola said with a shrug as she closed her book and carefully adjusted her hair, while the carriage moved to stop before the assembled people. Quenton noticed that they had sixteen servants standing out by the entrance, which were more than his family had.

The Lindwoods were a small family, two parents and one son who looked to be about fifteen years old stood out in front of the servants. Lord Bryce Lindwood was a hard-looking man approaching his mid-fifties and carrying himself with the sort of weight that made him seem imposing. Quenton noted he had a slight limp and relied on an elegant mahogany cane with an eagle head for a handle.

Lady Missai Lindwood was the most foreign-looking person Quenton had seen since entering this world. She was dressed in a beautiful purple silk shawl which nicely complemented her long scarlet robe that almost looked like a kimono or something similar. Her hair was magenta colored and she curtsied friendly to the Morays as they stepped out.

“Welcome to Lindwood Manor, Lord, and Lady Moray.” Lord Lindwood said with the pretense of a warm smile, but with a rather brusque tone. Tomas stretched out his hand but the handshake was not returned as Lindwood inclined his head in greeting instead. Lady Missai on her end gave a polite smile and her eyes had more genuine warmth than her husband.

“Lady Moray I see you have been so delightful to bring all of your children with you to our home. Lady Viola and Lady Rosalind I know already, but I take that this is…” She spoke with a strange clip and the slightest of accents which didn’t make her speech any less immaculate, but it stood out in the usually stratified language of the elite. “This is our third daughter Briony, our youngest daughter Camilla, and of course our son Lyndon.” Ivy quickly introduced/pushed Briony and Camilla forwards before proudly presenting Lyndon while gripping protectively around his shoulders.

“Bri-ony.” Lady Lindwood seemed to almost taste the name as she repeated it before giving Quenton a smile as he curtsied like he had been instructed to do by Mrs. Seaver. “It is a pleasure to see all of you come to enjoy the hospitality of our home. This is our son Legan, he should be more than fitting companionship for young Lady Camilla and Lord Lyndon, I believe.”

Missai beckoned over a rather gangly teenage boy with olive-colored skin, an explosion of acne along his face that had been partially disguised with makeup, and thick magenta hair like his mother. He looked boredly down at the two slightly younger teens and seemed to struggle not to shrug or come with a snide teenage comment before he said. “I suppose that could be, delightful mother.”

“We are very proud of our boy, he has been spending time learning about the lumber mills and we plan to send him to Talaar next summer.” Lord Lindwood seemed to soften up a bit as he indicated Legan. Tomas did a doubletake at that and stumbled to ask. “To Mizra? Can you bear having him away on another continent?”

“I am aware it is unconventional, Moray, but my wife believes it would be prudent for him to study at one of their universities.” Quenton could hear Ivy grumble about barbarians under her breath as she covered her face with a fan. “We are in a good position to send him away for a few years. Missai has her brother in the capital of Talaar and he has assured us he will take good care of Legan.” Lord Lindwood continued haughtily and Tomas nodded slowly in return as he seemed to have been stuck on the lack of a “Lord Moray” when he was addressed.

“I see. Well, good luck to him then.” He said more amiably and nodded to his fellow Lord who in return indicated the servants in the back. “Our man Wilbur will show you to the drawing-room, we must sadly remain outside to welcome more of the guests.” Lord Lindwood said tersely before turning his attention back to looking out onto the road.

“I think that Legan could have a good time going with your youngest, they could be by themselves and have a much better time without us. Don’t you think so, Lady Moray?” Ivy gave Missai a forced smile in return and a nod after she came with that suggestion.

Camilla shot Quenton a look that made it clear that she wanted anything but go off with that gangly teen, but she smiled at the assembled Lords and Ladies. “I am sure it will be a delight Lady Lindwood.” Camilla took Lyndon by the arm and then began to walk off with Legan.

I feel very sorry for him. Quenton thought to himself as he saw the trio walk away. While that happened a smartly dressed young man in a suit stepped forward. He had refined features and was younger than most butlers that Quenton had seen so far. Wilbur had silky black hair with a little bit of white in the temples and a professional smile.

“Welcome your Lordship, your Ladyships. I am Wilbur, the butler of Lindwood manor. If you will follow me I can take you all to the drawing-room.” He said with a voice that seemed to have something conniving behind it, but his tone had that sort of inflection that made him come across as the utmost professional. Wilbur turned and led the Moray family into the wooden manor.

13