Chapter 2: Ghrim Morning
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clovus dreamed of various things while he was asleep. His eyes fluttered from all the images being conjured up from his brain. If one were to really look at Clovus, they would notice a faint almond-shaped outline appearing on his glabella. The outline was very translucent but a grey light soon began to weakly shine out from it.

 

Clovus found himself traveling through different dreams. The dreams started out within the hall of the [Library]. He saw himself going through the process of receiving a [Grimoire]. He was placing his hand on the Ghrim Orb atop the pedestal and a light shone down upon him. He could feel that there was a book within his hands, but he wasn't able to glean how the actual [Grimoire] looked. The scene transported him to outside the [Library], where everyone was patiently waiting for his results, standing with his parents in front of the door. Judging by the faces of those around him, he could tell that the [Grimoire] was definitely beyond the norm. Suddenly, he was switched into a new dream. The scenery changed to what looked like Black Oak Forest and he wasn't surrounded by people anymore, but by small humanoid figures instead. He saw their short yellowish-green bodies, covered in filth with only a loincloth hanging at their waist. They had a hungry, depraved look in their eyes, as if they were going to eat him up immediately. They began to swing their clubs when a loud grunt came from behind them, they became even more frenzied and the group parted to reveal a slightly larger figure. Clovus's scenery changed once again, revealing himself standing in-between the boundaries of the Black Oak Forest and the winding Ebro. He could hear the water rushing past him as he stood at the river bank. Looking across the river leading to the other side, he could see a black and white four-legged beast with two tails. It stood there appraising him for a second before vanishing from Clovus's sight in a white light.

 

The light coming from his glabella dimmed after the last dream sequence. It was then that Clovus began to stir from his sleep. He could feel Pama's breath on the back of his neck. "Whoa Pama, some personal space please," Clovus mumbled as he lightly pushed Pama's head off of his back. Pama harrumphed in response and fell back asleep. "I just had the craziest dream Pama," Clovus was telling him, but as soon as he tried to recall the dreams, they began to fade from his memory. Clovus scrunched his face in concentration but he couldn't remember anything about his dreams anymore. He stopped trying to remember, since it was getting him nowhere. “I guess I can’t really remember my dreams.”

 

Pama stretched in response. “We have to get up now!” Clovus smacked Pama with a pillow lightly.

 

Clovus usually woke up around 30 minutes before the sun would rise. He's been taking body refinement lessons from Master Resh, getting up before dawn was one of the conditions of being accepted as a disciple.

 

Even if Master Resh gives me the day off, by then, I'll be too awake to go back to sleep, Clovus thought to himself as he got up from his bed. He quickly changed from his pajamas into his training clothes, which consisted of a loose shirt and tapered pants. After dressing, he made his way outside to grab some water to wash his face. He grabbed a basin and pumped some water into it; he quickly washed his face with the freezing water, really waking himself up from his sleepiness. Although signs of spring were making their way into the weather, the mornings and nights were still freezing during this time of the year. 

 

Clovus went back into the house to shake Pama up. He looked at Pama laying on the bed and smiled. It was funny to see the almost mature water buffalo taking up half of the bed. 

 

Clovus had nabbed a surprise for Pama from the kitchen before he arrived in the bedroom. "Come on Pama time to wake-up!"

 

He jumped on the bed and started to shake Pama awake. One would expect the bed to break from all the weight and shaking, but the bed was custom made from the village's expert craftsman, Grandpa Kahn, he hates it when Clovus calls him that. The bed would never break unless a skilled warrior were to put some force into attacking it. 

 

Finally, Pama sleepily got down from the bed, Clovus followed him down and put his combat boots on. Pama followed his movements with his sheepish eyes. "Good morning Pama! Here's your surprise," Clovus said as he took something from his pant's pocket. Pama's eyes instantly brightened and went closer to Clovus's hand. 

 

Clovus had pulled out two pears, Pama's favorite snack. "Here's one for now. I'll give you the second one once we're on the way to Master Resh's," Clovus handed Pama one of the pears and Pama munched on it with his teeth. 

 

As Pama was eating, Clovus got onto his back and urged him out the house. "Try not to make too much noise, mom and dad are probably still tired from their mission."

 

Pama, who finished eating his snack, flapped its ear in acknowledgement. He basically tip-toed through the house out the front door. 

 

"Okay, let's put a pep in our step, we're a bit late today," Clovus said as he urged Pama to go a bit faster.

 

Pama picked up his pace and they made their way into the village. 

 

The village wasn't too large, around 30 houses were built, all built using the same black wood as Clovus's house. The population numbered to be just above 150 people. From lessons taught by Juneau, Clovus knew that the founding clan of the village, the Pilar family, numbered fifty when establishing the village. 

 

Since the establishment of the village, only about 60 other people have stumbled upon the village. Through marriage and procreation, the village grew with another forty people. But the decision of having a baby was seriously considered within the village. The surroundings and environment of Apis was not exactly safe for a family to be raising a family. The demonic beasts hordes alone are the main reason for the villagers to reject the idea of conceiving a baby. Although they were hesitant, the majority of couples who decided to have babies were from the Pilar clan, at least the ones who weren't married before moving there. 

 

As of now, Clovus was the only child within the village. The last babies to be born within the village was about 20 years ago, and they were the two chieftains sons', Vex Pilar and Vixen Pilar. They were already within their early to mid-twenties.

 

Clovus was readying his mind as he ventured through the village. It was just before dawn but the village was already bustling. The villagers were either preparing themselves for their assigned missions or cleaning and getting ready for the day. Those who saw Clovus pass by greeted him with a smile and congratulated him.

 

"Congratulations on your coming-of-age ceremony Clovus! I'm excited for tonight's festivities."

 

"That's right! Already six years old! How time flies."

 

Clovis received almost the same congratulations from everyone, but he appreciated them and thanked them in response. 

 

It took around ten minutes for Clovus to reach Master Resh's home. Master Resh did not really interact with anyone, and lived isolated in the outskirts of the village. It's not that he didn't like the other villagers, but he was raised in Tarven as a killer. Through torturous training when he was younger, Resh had eliminated his emotions and was forced to train his body beyond its limit.

 

Before Clovus could even cross into the courtyard, Master Resh came out from his cottage with a slight frown on his face, "You're late." Master Resh crossed his thick arms as he looked towards Clovus.

 

Clovus hurriedly got off Pama and rushed to be in front of Resh, "I'm sorry Master," Clovus immediately apologized while bowing slightly. "I received a bit more congratulations than I thought I would as I made it through the village."

 

"It's okay. That's understandable." He uncrossed his arms and gestured for Clovus to stop bowing. 

 

Clovus sighed in relief and looked up at his Master, "Thank you for understanding Master! Should I get started on warm-ups now?" 

 

“Mm. I'll run through them with you as well,” Master Resh nodded and began warming up as well. He probably already warmed-up for his morning exercise but he didn’t mind doing it again. 

 

Around nine months ago Clovus had started to sneak around watching Resh's body refinement training. All the villagers of Apis admired the strong, and Resh was the epitome of physical strength. He wasn't a Ghrim nor did he rely on using any weapons; he didn't need a weapon because his entire body was one. His body seemed to be chiseled and sculpted by the gods. Every muscle in his body was made to be ready to watch within an instant, coiled and ready to spring at a moments time. 

 

Clovus had been mesmerized by Resh's strength and silently watched his future master's training regiment. Of course, Resh knew of Clovus's spying but he didn't have to worry about a small child so he simply ignored him for months. He didn't turn his attention towards Clovus until he noticed him trying to copy his training. It was then that Resh confronted Clovus, but instead of the scolding that Clovus had expected. Resh instead asked if he would like to become a disciple of sorts, one to run his errands in exchange for teaching Clovus how to properly train his body. Clovus always thought Resh trained him out of kindness, but in reality, Resh couldn't handle the improper forms that Clovus was displaying while copying his exercises. 

 

After warming up, Master Resh told Clovus, "No new techniques today."

 

Clovus made a surprised face and thought to himself, Wow! Is he really giving me a day off?! 

 

"Starting from today, I will no longer be teaching you."

 

Clovus’s face crumbled in an instant. "What do you mean Master?! Did I do something wrong? What did I do," Clovus's surprised expression turned to one of dread as he asked his Master.

 

"I promise that I'll never be late again! I'll even do more chores for you and strive even harder," Clovus pleaded, as he thought of today’s blunder. 

 

"Calm down Clovus," Resh responded while placing his hand on Clovus's shoulder. "You cannot be my student anymore because there's nothing I could further teach you. If I teach you anymore of my techniques then your body may develop negative after effects as you grow older."

 

Clovus stopped panicking and started to listen to what his Master had to say. There were tears in his eyes, ready to fall if he didn't like what he heard.

 

"All the exercises I have taught you so far have been to help develop specific secondary muscles, ones that won't inhibit the growth of your main muscles. The techniques I have trained in are too detrimental to other people's bodies, I've had to endure many grueling years to be able to get where I am today.

 

"I do not want your body to go through what I had to...so continue to do the exercises I've taught you," Resh hesitated and seemed to have decided something. He reached towards one of his hands, touching the iridescent ring on his finger. A lavender colored light flashed and within his hand he was holding a wooden box with a talisman placed onto the latch. "Here. I was supposed to give you this with everyone else but now seems to be fine."

 

Clovus wiped the tears that hadn't yet dropped from his eyes and smiled as he reached for the box. He was still trying to process the information he was just told by his Master, but the present in front of his face was too tempting. 

 

"Thank you Master," Clovus said as he took the box from Resh. His hand seemed to hesitate before touching the box, “Is it okay if I still call you Master?”

 

“Of course,” Master Resh replied with a small smile on his face.

 

Clovus finally grabbed the box and tore the talisman from the latch, he instantly felt the box get heavier. Its weight was still manageable but it took a fraction of his strength to keep it falling from his grip. He opened the box and a set of five silver bangles were seated in the middle. The bangles were as big as Clovus's wrist and had many formulas engraved onto them, each ring had the exact same formulas engraved and in the same positions as well. The material of the bangles looked to be made of both metal and stone, but the transition between the two materials was seamless; it looked like the two materials were actually one. "What are these bangles for Master," Clovus asked with a confused expression on his face. 

 

"These bangles will help you supplement the techniques I have taught you. You probably noticed the main feature of them, they got heavier when you tore the talisman away. You place one ring onto each of your limbs, as well as around your neck. The bangles give off a weight that adjusts according to how much strength you can muster. These items will help strengthen your primary muscles without making a detrimental impact on your growth as you get older. Essentially, as you get stronger, the bangles will get heavier. Think of it as constantly training your body."

 

Clovus' eyes were shining as he listened to his Master speak. He didn't hesitate any longer and picked up one of the bangles to place onto his left arm, but before he could place the first ring on his arm, his Master stopped him. 

 

"There are some conditions upon wearing these bangles. First, as the bearer of the bangles, one has to constantly inject their strength into them, or else the bangles will gradually get as heavy as up to 10 times the weight the bearer could actually muster. Meaning that that bangles will get 10 times heavier than what its weight was if the bearer does not put strength into them. Second, the bearer of these bangles cannot take them off until they have the strength to break them off. As for the third condition, I'll have the ones who made it tell you, they'll go into the specifics; just know that it could lead to a major obstacle in the future."

 

Clovus stopped his actions as he heard what his Master was saying, and thought really hard about his decision. 

 

"You don't have to decide right now, probably go home and talk with your..." Before Resh could finish, Clovus started to place the bangles onto his arms and legs. "Wait..." Resh reached out as he saw Clovus place the first ring on his wrist.

 

"Master, if this would help me get as strong as you then I won't think twice about it! Especially, if it's a gift from you, I know you wouldn't give me anything that would put me in serious danger," Clovus said, trying to ease his former Master's worries. As Clovus took the first bangle into his hand, he noticed that it was cool to the touch and it gave off an aura that would belong in a forest. Clovus placed his fingers in the middle of the bangle, the bangle's formulas began to light up and actually grew in size, so that it could fit over Clovus's knuckles, and instantly shrunk back down after nestling on his wrist. 

 

Clovus instantly felt his arm grow heavy, almost to the point where he would have to lay his arm on the ground.

 

"Quickly put on the other bangles, the weight will lessen and distribute throughout your body once they're all worn."

 

Clovus hurriedly placed the other bangles onto his body, first his legs so that he's able to use his other arm without difficulty, then his neck and finally his other arm. After placing a bangle on each of his limbs, he could definitely feel the weight of the bangles distributing between themselves.

 

He noticed he only needed to put a bit more effort into holding himself up compared to when he first took the talisman off of the box's latch. It was slightly uncomfortable and his movements felt sluggish, but the bangles didn't inhibit his movements to the point his arms or legs were drooping, so he could bare with it.

 

"I know I said no new techniques today, but I want you to run through all the ones I have taught you right now. With the extra added weight, you may not be able to achieve the old exercises. As you perform your techniques, I’ll help to incorporate the weight of the bangles into the technique so that you don’t hurt yourself," Master Resh said as he watched Clovus moving his body about. 

 

"Okay Master!" Clovus happily agreed, especially since this was going to be his last day learning from his Master. He immediately began going through the techniques Resh taught him, starting with the first one he learned. 

 

Pama was staring off to the side of the two of them the this entire time. Although he didn't understand what was happening at the beginning of training, once he saw Clovus starting his exercises, his expression changed to that of elation and began to workout along side Clovus. Trying his best to imitate the stretches Clovus was making. Occasionally Resh would give Pama separate workouts to accomplish, one more suited for animals of his stature. 

 

***

 

In a large building located in the center of Apis, nine people could be seen seated on chairs forming a half circle. They were dressed differently, but they all seemed to be around the same age, 40 years or older. "Thank you for that report, it's concerning to hear that there are zero whereabouts of the Swampus," said the elder in the middle of the half circle. He was the chieftain of Apis, Maverick Pilar. 

 

He had harsh features, ones that could only be earned by facing many battles.

 

Standing before the panel of elders was a trio, two men and a woman. The trio was none other than Eris, Veler and Fawn who just returned from their mission the night before. They had just recounted their mission details to the panel of elders.

 

Maverick's expression showed much concern. "As well as the Terror Wolves and Twin-Flame Rams. We'll need to form teams specialized in searching," he turned to a short hooded figure and asked, "Maverick's expression showed much concern. "As well as the Terror Wolves and Twin-Flame Rams. We'll need to form teams specialized in searching," he turned to a short hooded figure and asked, "Ashe I'll need you to act as the communicator for this mission. We'll need to have constant communication between the groups, are you okay with that?" I'll need you to act as the communicator for this mission. We'll need to have constant communication between the groups, are you okay with that?"

 

The hooded figure, Lok, nodded, "I need to prepare some essence replenishment items but I've just refined two more sets of my Psyche Rings. We'll be able to have four groups for now."

 

"That's perfect! Thank you Lok!" He cupped his hands towards Lok.

 

"It's my pleasure."

 

"We'll have to think of the leaders for the teams. I believe the Xing sisters would be the perfect candidates for one of the teams. They're perfect hunters, they should be able to pick up anything amiss."

 

The other elders nodded in response and they started to give their own candidates.

 

"What about Merle?"

 

"Oh he'll be great, along with his partner Ike, they're both one with nature in one aspect or another," agreed another elder. 

 

Maverick responded to the two of them, "Okay, I'll add them as the other two team leaders. Now we need to think of the last person."

 

The other elders started to suggest more people, but they couldn't decide on anyone else. All of the other candidates are more suited for fighting than searching. As the panel pondered in silence now, they heard someone's throat clearing from the trio.

 

"Do you have something to say," asked Maverick with a raised eyebrow.

 

"If you do not mind, would I be able to suggest somebody Chieftain?" The person who had cleared their throat ended up being Veler. Maverick waved his hand for Veler to continue. "I would recommend my son's master, Resh. I'm sure the panel knows of his physical prowess and combat abilities, but he actually had outstanding navigational and explorational skills," continued Veler.

 

"Oh, how did you come across this? Resh has been so isolated after settling in Apis, even I didn't know this about him," wondered Maverick. He had an astonished expression on his face, along with most of the other elders.

 

"I actually came upon this information from my son Clovus. Resh has taken Clovus to be his 'in-name disciple' of sorts. He's been coming home after training each morning, telling and showing us everything Resh has been teaching him." 

 

"If what you say is true then he would be great for the last team leader," Maverick smiled as Veler finished talking. "We could decide the rest of the team members after tonight's ceremony."

 

Before Maverick could start talking, he noticed particles of white light starting to appear within the room. A second later the other elders noticed the particles as well. More and more particles were starting to appear, but no one was worried in the slightest, they've seen this occurrence plenty of times. In no time a cloud of particles had manifested within the room, the cloud quickly converged in a spot directly next to Eris.

 

"Oh, you came back faster than I expected," Eris said with a warm smile on her face.

 

The particles condensed and the white light faded away revealing a pristine white furred beast. It was five foot in height and measuring seven feet in length, the beast largely resembled a wolf. Its fur was as white as snow while its eyes, mouth, teeth, and claws were pitch black. 

 

The wolf was now fully formed from the particles, and shook its fur as it walked toward Eris, placing its forehead onto Eris'. Eris, while leaning into the wolf, closed her eyes and stayed in that position for about five minutes. Eris hummed and opened her eyes.

 

"If I may ask, what has your Particle Light Wolf seen? Has it seen anything peculiar," Maverick asked Eris.

 

"Yes, it seems so," she responded. "From what I've seen, she was able to find some traces of the Terror Wolf herd. After catching up with them and asking some questions, she learned that they had barely found out the Swampus disappeared as well.

 

"They then recounted how some of their brethren were beginning to disappear. The leader of the herd decided to leave the area before the entire herd could be wiped out like the Swampus. As they escaped the plains, they warned the Twin-Flame Rams along the way. This prompted the rams to migrate as well."

 

"Mhmm. I see, please thank your Particle Light Wolf for gathering this information."

 

Eris bowed her head slightly. 

 

"Alright, now that we've heard all accounts of the mission, as well as deciding what our next steps are, I believe it is safe to end this meeting," Maverick prompted. 

 

Nobody disagreed and Maverick continued, "Okay, dismissed. I'll see everyone back in-front of the [Library] for Clovus's Ghrim ceremony. Please give him my regards when you get back home."

 

With that everyone bid each other farewell and went to prepare for the ceremony.

1