Chapter 1: The Spirit
140 6 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mark crawled on the concrete floor, his hands desperately grasping for something, anything to pull him away from the creature that manifested behind him. The 17-year old's legs had already given way, they went numb from the very first sight of the being. The creature was as black as night, its mass and size filled the entire car park corridor, trapping Mark on the end of the car park, the only exit was to jump off, and plummet 8 stories to his death.

The creature opened its mouth, showing multiple large fangs, glowing in the night, covered in what seemed to be blood. The creature also had long slithering tentacles protruding from its back, they swayed in the air like fabric, blowing in whatever direction the midnight wind was blowing. The creature's many eyes, all over its body, stared at Mark, who was absolutely stricken with fear.

"i'M SorRRyy, sO SORRYyy!!!"

The creature screamed, its voice sounded like a thousand steel beams scratching glass.

"Please... I'm sorry..." Mark could only utter these few words as he looked over to his right. The sight of bright flowers and candles laying on the car park floor contrasted with the darkness of night. Next to the flowers and candles was a picture of his friend. This site was a memorial for her.

"Ruby..." Mark uttered her name, the name of the girl that jumped off the top floor of this very abandoned car park two weeks ago. Memories of her came flooding in as tears ran down Mark's face. This was it for him.

I guess I'll join you soon... I deserve this... It was all my fault.

2 weeks ago...

"Hey Mark, where do you think would be a good place to die?" Ruby asked, staring at Mark inquisitively.

Mark stared at her. Her dark black hair flowed as wind entered the clubroom, the rays of the setting sun bouncing off her pale skin. Her large bright hazel eyes placed a spell on him, he felt compelled to answer her question. Mark had always known she was considered beautiful by conventional standards. Which was why he wondered why a girl like her would choose to join his Literature Club. It was an unpopular club that attracted people like him. Lonely, quiet bookworms. Though Ruby was quiet, she had the looks to become one of the popular girls. Though, her good looks were what caused her to be ostracised by the girls in his class when she first transferred a few months back.

"Why would you ask that question?" Mark asked, turning his attention away from the book he was reading.

"Well, whenever we come to the clubroom, you're always reading horror and books on the supernatural right? Maybe you'd know some good spots that attract lots of ghosts!"

"And what, you're planning to die at one of those places?" Mark asked jokingly.

"Maybe..." Ruby answered in a chilling tone, in that moment, her usual bright eyes dulled as she stared out into the window, her beauty became somewhat sinister and a cold aura began to fill that moment.

But it quickly disappeared when Ruby gave Mark a light punch.

"I'm joking! Haha!" Ruby said as she teased Mark. She pulled up the sleeves of her sweater to cover her palms. Mark realised that he had not seen her without a sweater before.

"You cold? I remember you saying something like you get cold easily..." Mark said as he got up to close the open window.

"Well yeah.. Something like that... but besides that... you haven't answered my question yet!"

Mark rolled his eyes.

"I'm not an expert on these things. Do you seriously believe that such haunted spots like that exist? Besides, why would a haunted spot be a good place to die?"

"Well, doesn't that mean if someone died there they would likely turn into a ghost to haunt the place too? I was thinking if I died, I'd like to become a ghost, or a vengeful spirit..."

Mark once again stared at her with concern. He knew that she was having a tough time getting along with the girls. He was positive she was getting bullied by them as well. Jealousy was an awful thing. He had also heard a few things about how Ruby had a complicated family situation which was why she transferred to a new school all of a sudden. But he didn't know more than that.

"Well, I have heard of a place near school... It's an abandoned car park. They say a office worker committed suicide there once. Ever since then more and more people attempted suicide there and the authorities had to close the whole building." Mark said as he put his book down.

"Ahh I see... Thank you!" Ruby smiled as she said that, her eyes showed a sense of relief.

"By the way... what's that book about?" Ruby asked out of the blue.

"Oh this?" Mark held up the book he was reading earlier, the title read "Moonlight"

"It's about a girl who has been abandoned by her family and becomes a vengeful spirit, haunting her family members. I can lend it to you once I'm done reading."

Ruby's hazel eyes once again showed a sense of dullness and despair, but she replied in her usual smiling manner.

"Sure! Lend it to me when you're done!"

That was the last conversation Mark had with Ruby before she died.

She had jumped off that very day. Her body was found by the school security guard. They said he called in sick for the week and resigned shortly after.

...

"Why would you thank me?" Mark asked as tears fell down his eyes at her funeral. He knew deep down he had caused this. He led her to her death. It was him.

"It was you! You killed her! I always knew she shouldn't have hung out with a gloomy person like you."

"I heard she was influenced by Mark..."

"The guy that reads horror books all the time?"

"We should stay away from him..."

The words of his classmates echoed in Mark's mind for the rest of the week. Everyone at school avoided him.

He couldn't understand. Ruby was one of his few friends. How could she just leave him? How could she do this to him? Why didn't he see the signs earlier? Weren't they friends? Why didn't she tell him?

No... I knew... I knew she was getting bullied. Her sweater, she was hiding her bruises... I knew everything! And yet, and yet...

That night, Mark couldn't sleep. He didn't manage to for the next few days either.

Night of the attack

Mark laid in his bed, wide awake. His mind couldn't rest. He kept thinking about Ruby.

"Fuck!" Mark yelled in frustration. He got up and looked at himself in the mirror. His eyes were bloodshot, his dark black hair was in a mess, swirling in all directions. He ran his hands through his hair in an attempt to smoothen it. He gazed at his horror book he was reading that day. He never finished it.

He couldn't. He picked the book up and glared at the cover. It was a simple design. A tree casting a long shadow under the moonlight. He gazed at the cover, the moon reminded him of Ruby's eyes. It compelled him.

"Lend it to me when you're done!"

Mark got up and got dressed in a simple jacket and long pants. Bringing the book along, he headed to the only place on his mind: The car park behind his school.

When he arrived at the top story, he could see the scene Ruby saw before she jumped. From it, he could see the view of the school field, where the soccer and track teams would have their training, he could see the business district nearby with the busy offices and bustling city life. Mark stood there and felt the same night breeze she must have felt.

Mark knelt down to place his book beside her photo frame. And said a short prayer. Mark was never religious nor did he believe much in the occult. He read horror stories because it was like fantasy to him. But he never believed any of it. In this moment, however, he wanted to believe in it.

"You wanted to be a ghost right? I wonder if you got your wish..." Mark asked out loud. At this moment, all his regret and guilt began to flow through him like a river, and this river came pouring out through his eyes. Mark wept and wept, his emotions overflowing.

Unbeknownst to him, a dark mass was gathering behind him. Growing larger and larger. Mark felt like he heard something and a shiver went down his spine. He turned around and was met with the most grotesque sight he had ever seen. If he didn't believe in the occult before. He absolutely did now.

Present

Mark leaned back against the wall of the car park, next to the memorial site. He closed his eyes as the creature slithered towards him like a snake.

This was it.

I'm going to die... Killed by a ghost... Hahahaha.... I wonder what the papers will say. They'll definitely bring this building down now. I guess... I guess I deserve this... 

Mark could only think about those things as he stared straight into the many eyes of his attacker. He wanted to close his eyes but he thought he might as well look death in the eye as he goes. The creature's eyes were a bright hazel.. It almost reminded him of Ruby.

The creature widened it's already gaping mouth, allowing Mark to see into the black empty void of the creature's insides. Mark's view of vision slowly became enveloped by darkness as the creature inched closer and closer to him.

But then suddenly, he heard a loud slicing sound, like a sword piercing stone.

"[Serpent's Tail]"

A voice echoed through the halls of the car park. The creature began writhing, its shape contorting as sounds of what sounded like flesh being cut up emanated from within the creature's body. Soon enough, the creature exploded in a bloody mess, pieces of its black body strewn all over the place.

Mark was left dazed. A single sword that was embedded on the creature's back fell to the floor with a clang. Standing behind the creature's dark remains was a man with a huge scar running across his left eye. He was dressed like an office worker, with a white button up shirt and a black tie. 

9