Chapter 3: Heavy Burden
87 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2 years ago

“You’re quitting?” Mr Ang, the teacher in charge of the Track and Field club exclaimed.

“Yes,” Mark replied. He was standing awkwardly at the teacher’s office, in front of Mr Ang’s desk, which had his request form on it. 

“Why?” Mr Ang asked bluntly. 

“I’m unable to commit to training sessions any longer, with my mother’s condition worsening, I’m afraid I have to spend some time after school to visit my mom.” Mark said in a rehearsed tone. He had in fact rehearsed it multiple times in his mind that day. 

“Well, I understand your family situation… but track is only 3 times a week, 4 times at most, are you not able to hold out for a while longer? At least after Nationals… you do know you’re our team’s only few hurdlers?” Mr Ang replied.

“Well, I’m very sorry… besides, I was never going to win any place this year either. Samuel is the only hurdler who has a shot at making top 3 this year. My junior, Sean, is also catching up to me. I can see that. My skills as a hurdler have reached their peak. I’ve been doing this sport since forever… and I’ve hit my peak. Right now, I don’t think it's worth pouring any more time into. For me, family comes first.” Mark once again said all this in a monotonous voice.

Though he initially flinched at Mr Ang’s remarks. He thought that mentioning his family situation was enough, he never expected him to bring up the fact that he had qualified for nationals. His qualifying meant nothing anyway if he couldn’t even get close to 3rd place. His timings just couldn't match Samuel’s, nor any of the finalists for hurdles. He was set to be dead last once again for finals. 

“Hmmm, okay, if you’ve already submitted your request with valid reason, there’s little I can do. Just… I hope you’ll give it more thought. It’s not all about awards you know?” 

“Sorry, I’ve made up my mind. Thank you Mr Ang…” Mark bowed and left the office. 

Saying it isn’t about awards is basically admitting I was never going to win any anyway. 

Mark thought as he walked along the school corridors. The orange glow of the setting sun drenched the hallway. The windows along the hallway overlooked the school field where various clubs were having their training sessions. Mark took a glance at the school field, taking a moment to observe his fellow schoolmates training and giving it their all, before turning and walking down the stairs.

Mark arrived at the hospital, he made his usual walk along the long corridor, he stared at the blankness and whiteness of his surroundings. 

They should put up some paintings here

Mark heard the familiar sounds of sickness and death as he passed the various rooms. It was a depressing place. 

He forced himself to smile and brighten up as he walked into his mother’s ward. 

His mother lay there, motionless, her face pale. She looked as if she had aged well beyond her actual age. She smiled weakly at Mark and attempted to sit up. 

“Hey mom, I brought you something…” Mark reached into his school bag and brought out a book. 

“Is that ‘Mirrorless’? It’s already out?” Mark’s mother asked, her voice soft and fragile. 

Mark placed the novel in her hands, allowing her to feel the weight of the book, the texture of the pages. 

“It is, I got it fresh on its release.” 

“Thank you dear! I’ve been dying to read this book, it’s so boring here, and I’ve already finished all the other horror stories you brought.” 

Mark smiled, he was glad she could still make jokes and read. Even though that joke was a bit morbid. 

“Say… don’t you have training today?” Mark’s mom asked, keeping her eyes on the book.

“Well, I quit, mom.”

Mark’s mom put the book down and stared at her son. 

“Why? You loved track!” 

“I used to like it. But I’ve stopped progressing, it doesn't make sense anymore.” 

“What a shame… you always ran around when you were young. Didn’t you love the feeling of wind in your hair? Whether you win or not, don’t you still feel the wind?” 

Mark was left speechless, he did love the wind, he probably still did. 

“Well, I can still run without competing… Besides, now I have more time to spend with you…”

“I’m glad you considered me, but it really is a shame… competing with others is part of the fun no? To be with other people that share the same goals… Quitting now, saying things about ‘not progressing’, aren’t you just afraid of not living up to your expectations?” 

“Mum, you’re in a really energetic mood today…”

“I’m just saying… you loved running!”

“It’s done mom, and I’ve said, I’d rather spend time here with you…” 

“Well, I’ve said enough I guess…” his mom returned her attention to her book.

“I still don’t get why you like horror so much,” Mark asked as he sat beside her bed, trying to change the subject.

“Well, horror sort of gives you a challenge doesn’t it? If you can read this story, made intentionally to scare you, if you overcome your fear and read through to the end, well, doesn’t that make you a stronger person? It makes me feel like I can face my life’s problems head on.” Mark’s mother beamed with a wide smile, her joy evident despite her circumstance. 

Mark struggled with that logic. After all, horror was fantasy. But he simply appreciated his mother’s outlook at that moment. In his mind Mark hoped that time would simply stop there forever, that he could just pocket and save this moment in time. 

… 

A few weeks later, Mark got a call from the hospital. Telling him the news he knew was coming.

Mark watched as the nurses cleared out his mother’s ward. She had passed on peacefully that morning.

“I’m sorry for your loss… she was holding onto this…” the nurses passed Mark the book he had bought for her the other day. 

So she finished it….

Mark flipped to the back and saw her handwriting on the final page. 

‘Run towards your fear! Face it and overcome it! Love, mom.’

Mark felt his eyes water up as he read his mom’s final message. His tears fell on the sterile hospital floor, painting it like a canvas while his wail drowned out the noise of his surroundings.

A tear formed down Mark’s face as he came into consciousness. He felt like he had just woken up from a dream, a dream about his mother…

He found himself surrounded by darkness, in front of him, a familiar person. Ruby.

“Facing your fear…” Ruby uttered, her voice still distorted. “Was that why you ran towards me?”

“I… I don’t know…” Mark answered truthfully. 

“But I do know this… I’m tired of running away. I knew you were facing troubles, but I avoided the topic… I thought it was none of my business… But it was… After all, I became your Tether, you latched on to me…” 

“It seems my wish to become a ghost was fulfilled… but I never told you why I wanted to become a ghost.” Ruby said in her usual cheerful tone, though Mark couldn’t be sure this was the real Ruby he knew, or some sort of imitation. Her voice still sounded eerily off.

“In a sense, I’m like you Mark…always running away. Taking my life… I felt this was the only option. I felt like this was the only course of action… but I was unsatisfied. I felt regret, like there was a heavy burden. I was powerless to fight, I couldn’t do what you did. I couldn’t run and face my problems. I didn’t know how…”

“Tell me, what can I do to help send you off?” Mark asked. 

“Unfortunately, I'm not the Ruby you may know… I’m her soul, her spirit, all I’m left with is a lingering feeling of regret and nothing else. I felt a strong connection to you when you entered, you allowed me to manifest. But these emotions she had took on a sinister form. She had so much pain and anger, so much fear and guilt. I do not know what you must do to free me… But I will lend you power. With it, you can fight Ruby’s battles on her behalf. Do you accept?” Ruby asked as she held out her hand.

“Yes. I accept.” Mark reached out to grab Ruby’s hand

Mark awoke in a hospital, or what seemed like one. It was a smaller room, with a few beds. He was lying on one while Shen was sitting on the one next to him. 

“Hey, you’re awake…” Shen grumbled as he twisted his body to face Mark. He had bandages over his abdomen but seemed a lot better. 

“Yeah…What happened?” Mark asked, feeling a bit disorientated. 

“Well, after you forged your spirit contract, she disappeared and you lay there unconscious. I had made a distress call while you were doing your thing… and well, they came.” 

“Spirit contract? They?” Mark asked, still rather confused.

“Well, you probably have a lot of questions… but don’t worry. She’ll explain everything.”

Shen stopped speaking as a woman stepped into the room. She was a tall, imposing person. She was dressed in a black shirt and white tie along with dress pants, similar to Shen, she looked like an office worker, though her black shirt gave off ominous vibes. 

“Still alive Shen? Thought this was finally the end for you. Thanks to you I lost my bet with Khan…” The woman addressed Shen harshly, smirking as she spoke. Her raven hair was tied in a ponytail, with side bangs of considerable length that partially covered one of her eyes. She swept her bangs as she talked and smirked, her persona oozing confidence. 

“You and Khan are still playing those sick games? Daiyu, I expected better from someone about to be promoted to an A-rank exorcist…” Shen quipped back, smiling as he did so. 

Daiyu then turned her attention to Mark, accessing him carefully. 

“So, what’s your name?” 

“Mark… Mark Han Zhang-Li.” Mark replied, feeling uneasy under Daiyu’s gaze.

Han? That surname…It must be a coincidence right?

Daiyu thought upon hearing Mark’s name. She glanced at Shen whose expression was equally as surprised as hers, meaning they must have thought the same thing.

“Well, I’m sure you have questions… and I could answer them… or I could just bring you over to the newcomer briefing and save myself the trouble of repeating myself. Guess which option I chose?” Daiyu smiled as she tossed Mark a piece of paper.

The piece of paper glided through the air and gracefully landed on Mark’s lap. The word written on it read: ‘Newcomer’s briefing: Meeting Room 1 on the 2nd floor.’

… 

Shen walked out of the medical room with a slight limp, dressed now in a fresh set of shirt and pants, identical to the ones he wore earlier. 

“Come on kid, I’ll lead you to the venue,” Shen gestured for Mark to follow him. 

Mark got dressed in a blue shirt and long pants that were provided for him. The shirt was slightly too big for him, making him seem skinnier than he already was. 

“Sensei!” A voice called out as Mark and Shen exited from the medical room. Mark turned to see a bespectacled guy, roughly the same age as him. He wore a black oversized t-shirt, and blue chino shorts. Unlike Mark, the oversized t-shirt did not make the young man look skinny, in fact one could tell he had a good frame and was well-built in spite of it. 

“Vince? Shouldn’t you be in the meeting room?” Shen asked  

“Well, I thought I’d check on you first, sensei… besides… I kinda… forgot the location? This building is huge!” Vince exclaimed as he sheepishly rubbed the back of his head, ruffling his spiky hair in the process.

Shen let out a sigh and gestured for Vince to follow him as well. 

“Well, follow us then, this is a good chance for you to meet Mark, he’s going to be joining you guys for the briefing.” Shen spoke as he walked.

Vince gave Mark a good long stare, similar to the one Daiyu gave Mark. Mark was starting to feel a bit awkward”

“Wow! It’s nice to meet you! My name’s Vince! I’m Sensei’s student, learning the Xi-style sword fighting art under him. Let’s get along!” Vince beamed at Mark as they walked side-by-side.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Mark…” Mark introduced himself rather awkwardly, he wasn’t good with these types of overly energetic and happy people. 

“Hey, Vince, I’m sorry but what exactly is this place? And what’s this about a meeting? I don’t know if you know this but the last thing I remember was this spirit and…” 

“Yeah, I’ve heard the rough gist of it… This building is owned by the Special Anomalies Investigation Branch, as for details, well, I’m not a big details guy… Just wait for the meeting!” Vince said nonchalantly as he held his arms behind his head, his composure beyond relaxed.

Special Anomalies Investigation Branch? 

Mark had even more questions than before.

“Well, you’re about to get your answers, we’re here.” Shen said as he stepped to the side, pointing to a wide open door, above it was an electronic sign that read ‘Meeting Room 1 - Meeting in Progress’ 

With a deep breath, Mark stepped inside.

… 

All heads in the room turned towards Mark as he stepped into the room. It was a rather small, cosy room. The walls were a smooth matte black and had sound-proofing properties. The floor was made of marble; the glossy white of the floor stood in direct contrast to the black walls. In the middle of the room stood a round table that could fit around 6 to 7 people around it, however, only Daiyu was at the table.

The sides of the room had cushioned chairs, a few of them were occupied by various characters. Behind Daiyu was a large blank screen and in front of her, on the table, were a stack of files. Seated around the table in front of Daiyu, positioned nearer to the entrance were 3 other younger individuals. 

“Ah, you’re finally here…” Daiyu said as she rose from her seat. 

A man sitting in a cushioned chair also rose to greet Shen. He was wearing a denim jacket over his white shirt and wore casual jeans. His hair was tied up in a man-bun and he looked considerably younger than Shen. 

“Glad to see you are still alive Shen.” 

“Come on Khan, you know I won’t go down so easily… and I bet part of you is only glad because you won that stupid bet with Daiyu… still appreciate the confidence though…” Shen retorted, giving him a warm smile. 

Khan shrugged his shoulders and smiled back, “Don’t mention it, I see you’ve brought someone back with you…” Khan nodded in the direction of Mark, who was making his way to take a seat.

“Yeah… he’s found himself in quite a bind…” 

“Literally… I could feel the amount of spiritual aura even before you entered the room… I think everyone here does…” Khan looked around for a moment and could tell that everyone sensed it, they were all eyeing Mark.

“Everyone, except him… That kid… his spiritual energy is like…” Shen struggled to come up with a word.

“I can almost see it… a huge amount of spiritual energy resting on his shoulders, it’s as if I can see the spirit bound to him. That kid, he’s got a huge weight on his shoulders…” Khan said, the tone in his voice turned grave for a moment.

“Yeah, a real heavy burden…” 

“No kidding… Who knows what conditions were placed… but well, the stronger the burden, the stronger his abilities will be. I’m excited to find out…” Khan licked his lips as he imagined the sight he would get to witness later on. 

“We do have some good candidates this year… Some might even start off as C rank…”  Shen replied, eyeing the other candidates. 

Daiyu clapped her hands, making sure to focus the attention back to her. 

“Welcome.. Ladies and Gents… to the Special Anomalies Investigation Bureau! Whether you’re here voluntary or involuntary…” Daiyu eyed Mark as she spoke the last sentence.

“...I hope you’ll give your best!” Daiyu said as she flamboyantly gestured to the screen behind her. The screen flashed on, revealing a bolded text that read: 

SAIB: Exorcist Screening Test

Mark’s eyes widened and jaw dropped. 

So much for answers…

8