Chapter 16: Palatial Destination
152 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dinner was really more of an aperitif, according to the card. There was supposed to be a formal feast and ball late in the evening, so this was a slightly less lugubrious affair but with more focus on casual dining and socializing among less important folks. We were not invited to the later events.

I had never been to the Governor’s estate, but it was a smaller plot of land set on the opposite side of CenSum as the palace. It was no less beautiful, we found as our rented carriage took us down the short avenue of a garden on the way into the estate proper, after our invitation was verified. 

The trees were blooming, bright colorful pinks and reds and yellows, the primary colors of the Sumar Empire, in small blossoms that shed petals in a strong wind. The effect’s source was almost certainly something magical, but the effect was undeniably as wondrous. The entire estate rested on no more than a few acres, but no inch, or expense, was wasted. The avenue we were on was paved in marble, the hedges were a rare Sunfire Thistle, who’s leaves were so red they teetered on infrared - particularly pleasant to my broad spectrum vision - and there were fountains dotted around, hewn from obsidian. 

The mansion itself was almost small in the riot of color and passion in the gardens, but it was no less impressive. Having once been the palace when Sumar was just a simple kingdom, it was a thing of columns and domes, primarily white with red to accommodate the Sunfire Thistle’s dominant color, with windows and terraces wherever it could be accommodated in its structure. 

The carriage brought us around to the front of the steps where we were expected to disembark, and I let Justin leave the cart first. He seemed uncertain when I first had him try out the dark, ultraviolet purple and silver robes made of a thin velvety material. He had muttered something about how they seemed ‘dress-like’ while not looking unpleased as he put it on over his head. They went just long enough to barely reveal his dark boots, and the bottoms of the robe flared out with some unseen hoop built into the hem. The sleeves were shorter, but had the same flared effect, which would let him cross his arms and appear as a wizard’s wealthy apprentice, or a young journeyman. No hat or hood, his lanky hair was dark and well managed, framing his face well.  

I hopped down from the cart with the small tinkling of metal on metal. Kobold formal attire was less a thing of design so much as of necessity. I had a vest and scarf drapped along my torso and a skirt that reached down to my ankles, secured in place with a few belts. I went with a white and red motif myself, with silver in places to stand well next to Justin. I wore ribbons and scarves along my throat and tail to match, almost a compliment for the mansion’s own coloring, though the intent had been to emphasize my own feather colors, which were more mottled than brilliantly bright. I had anklets secured around my legs, held from falling off by a nearly invisible chain around my knee, and I had a pair of stone rings around my wrists, made of crystal - a gift from when I left the service of the Library of Dreams. I thought my outfit was a little busy, but I’d learned that if I didn’t dress up, I’d be confused for the help.

As I stepped out, I felt myself get Inspected, the spot at the back of my head buzzing with small intensity. I looked up to meet eyes with one of the city guard who had a Guidance Screen, no doubt with some measure of my worth. I vaguely recognized her, but she looked at me with no familiarity, as if disbelieving I was somehow not a stowaway with Justin. There were guards stationed at the gate, and on the grounds, but I didn’t worry that any of them would recognize me. I ignored them and stepped closer to where an aide was speaking to Justin.

“Ah, of course, Mister Stormhallow, you are expected and are on time, along with your companion. Sirs, please come this way, and I will be happy to bring you to the table.”

They hadn’t asked about my name, address, or pronouns. I sighed, steeling myself for what would no doubt be far too long socializing with mammalian sapients. 

The estate’s insides were as palatial as the exterior, as the servant led us through enchantment cooled rooms decorated in marble and crystalline structures.  People who got to talk and write about such state matters would compare the ‘old’ palace with the new and generally people were wise enough to say that the Empire’s Palace was far more impressive and formidable overall, there was no denying how striking and distinct the Governor’s home was as well. 

I looked around in feigned disinterest. I was slightly unsettled by the overly tall ceilings, at least fifteen feet tall. The columns that made up the primary structure seemed to be placed regularly left a lot of blindspots in the room, and I had the distinct feeling that there were more than city guards defending the palace this afternoon. We ended up in a ballroom - small by the standards of the foyer, not by the scale of the room - where a long table large enough to seat thirty people comfortably was set out. All the chairs were arranged for mammalians and the table’s surface was above my head without standing upright. 

The servant that led us here told us that dinner would start shortly and that he would inform the Governor of our presence. 

The room had a number of people already circulating, though it was obviously a relatively *small* meal affair. I suspected that given the approaching Coronation there would be few truly private dinner affairs for the major political figures in Sumar City. I recognized a major publishing guild head who was an Acolyte of Dreams, as well as a few of the Sumar University officials who seemed to be discussing things intently with the a CenSum city councillor, one of the Governor’s staffers. All told there were around two dozen people, mostly Humans and Elves, though there was an Orc and two Dwarves. I saw a few other city guard officers waiting, most of whom were unfamiliar to me. 

While I stepped to the side, assuming Justin would follow me to avoid blocking the entrance, one of the nobles I didn’t recognize was passing by us and handed me an empty glass without saying anything to me. I was going to be mistaken for the help regardless, it seemed. 

I looked at the glass, which looked to contain the dregs of some wine, and back at the noble. I twitched and refused to let the feathers on the back of my head flatten. I glanced around and found one of the Governor’s servants nearby, nervously unsure of what I’d do, having seen the whole exchange.

I took the wine glass over to them, saying, “If you don’t mind.” They took the glass and my lack of offense with a small dip of a curtsey, before taking the glass away.

I noticed that the servants were wearing a white and blue dress attire, nothing like my own white and red but… little did that matter.

Justin followed me to the side, looking confused as he glanced between myself, the noble and the servant. I didn’t say anything, but fortunately, before it could get awkward, the city’s highest official, the governor, approached us.

Unrelated to the story, I've been very fortunate in that I haven't had to work in the office more than once a week, but this week we are required to go in three days a week going forward. I can't access my phone or music the entire time, so its quite tiring. Anyway, I am just complaining. I will try to make sure I schedule my chapters more in advance, but for now, here ya go.

9