Chapter 19: Gift of the Magi
148 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Behind Justin, a high mage of Sumar University appeared. I’d had my own motives and had been carefully trying to circle away from this particular mage. I’d noticed his hard eye contact on Justin twice since he’d arrived and I suspected that they wanted something. I had thought I’d just seen him wildly gesticulating at a trio of very attractive young members of the service trade guild.

The short and reedy wizard was in full regalia, even wearing a cowl that was hopefully was reserved for special occasions, a century ago. Everything he owned screamed magical, even the twinkle in his eye. His smile widened as Justin turned to see what I was looking at. 

“Justin Stormhollow. I’ve heard so many things about you in the last day.” He flourished and offered a hand, “I am Anders D’seer. I’ve been hoping to meet you ever since the City Guard requested our assistance on your case.”

Justin paused, saying, “Ah, thank you. I… guess you know my name. This is Scaleen Fortuna. She’s been my host and guide since I’ve been able to get out.”

“Ah, yes. Rapt- Kobolds are good servants to have as a wizard. And we are both wizards, are we not?” 

“Ah, yes? Yes we are.” Justin didn’t seem to be able to catch his vocal feet, and I didn’t know how best to help him here. I was trying very hard not to growl. 

“And you are one of no small exception. You not only found the lost Archmage Seliarina The Timebent’s tower but their vestments as well. Did you know that the tower had been lost to time for over five centuries?”

“It had seemed very old… the traps still worked, however. Seliarina was as secretive as she was powerful.” 

“Oh, I’d kill to have been there myself. But this is not about me. I have some associates that want to meet you and ask questions.” Justin looked alarmed at this and the wizard immediately gestured away, “But that can wait. You are owed something simply by bringing her work to our lab, intentionally or not. The City Guard are expecting it back in the next day or so… but you know things can get lost in transit.” 

The wizard was good. I couldn’t see any direct lies, but this didn’t make sense. If it belonged to some important wizard, then the avaricious College wouldn’t give back some portion of that history unless they absolutely must. 

Justin perked up. “Oh yeah? I mean. If I got it back, maybe I’d be open to answering questions, you know?”

Anders nodded, “That’s the right kind of will in this city. Mutual benefit. I don’t want to say anymore here - too many prying eyes - but here. There’s a treat for you there too.” He gave a small slip of paper to Justin and winked, adding, “Wizards have to stick together in this city.”

Justin nodded, dazedly, as the man floated away to talk to his next victims and I pulled on Justin’s sleeve to bid our farewells with a short shared thank you and bow to the Governor. 

Justin was still looking at the note in his hands when I tugged him up to the carriage that was to take us off the estate elegantly. The coach driver didn’t ask where we wanted to go, and I didn’t say anything knowing it likely wouldn’t be far. 

We sat in silence for a while as I organized the notes I had on what everyone had said, and what information Justin had provided. There was a lot, but not enough to chastise him. Nothing that would really put us... him... in danger. Even the priest seemed more offended at my existence than his outburst. 

“Can you believe it? I am going to get the Amberline Coat back.” He gestured with the slip of paper, and I took a moment to look at it and my feathers fell a little in less enthusiasm.

“Hm.” 

The carriage stopped, and we found ourselves in a side market not far from the CenSum Guard house where the two of us first met. It was evening and the place was busy. A few had stopped to see who was getting out of the fancy carriage here, and looked disappointed when it was ‘just a random wizard and his raptor servant’ so I heard. 

Drawn carriages were expensive, slow compared to the carts, and generally obnoxious for anyone not wealthy enough to be so ostentatious, and I was glad to be out of it. 

Justin motioned with the paper. “Well? Do you know where it is?”

“I do.”

I moved to the side of the stone road, near a tavern that was already a little raucous with rich college students before sunset. I suspected they were from the nearby non-magical academy, likely getting the next couple days off for the coronation. 

“Let’s go then? I want to get the Amberline Coat back. It lets me-”

“We are not going. We’re going to go to sleep, then maybe take a second look at those tunnels.” We’d managed a couple hour nap after finding clothes, but I wanted to get a full rest before my body went into a terror state. Justin, who hadn’t ever really adapted to sleeping to the thirty four days, had to be exhausted.

Justin stopped, not following me to the wall. “What?”

“It’s a trap.” It was so obviously a trap I was surprised Justin hadn’t even considered it. 

Justin frowned down at me, finally stepping into the shade of the overhang (advertising beer at ‘buy three, get a fourth free’ for the coronation). 

“What are you - they said they owed me. They probably don’t even know what it is, what it can do, so they want me to explain it to them.”

“The Enchantment College was sent the robes along with your file. They know you are book smart and street shy. I couldn’t tell what he was lying about but it was obvious. They are just using you.”

Justin sighed, “You don’t know that. He was being coy, because he didn’t want anyone else to listen in. They probably just want to know where the tower is so they study it.”

He wasn’t listening. He was looking out over the city as if he could just cast his gaze on the nice ‘treat’ promised by just looking hard enough. Greed before guard. I tried to convince him otherwise. 

“D’Seer - and wizards like him - are greedy, envious assholes. They wouldn’t so much as give their own mentors a copper if it gave them an advantage. They don’t give anything back to the people. They only give back to those who fund their magic in their studies, hoping for one more edge in a war you are tying to prevent. They already perform permanent indentureship for familiars.”

“You are paranoid, Scaleen. You think that everyone is looking to exploit you and probably have written down a list of every slight, real or imagined. With that robe, I can stop us from losing Wreshorn on the first advance of Horrautomons. In the game-” 

I couldn’t take it anymore. I snapped my jaw and growled, “You can’t go around playing scavenger hunt. This is not a game! Every moment could be your death! ”

“Stop treating me like an idiot! I’ve been living here for eight years. I know I could die at any time.”

I refrained from pointing out that he was still a child, in general. In fact, I had to swallow my anger, and in that time, he seemed to come to a new conclusion. “Honestly, I don’t know why I am just taking your word for it. You are probably just using me too. You probably got me out of jail just to make me feel indebted to you.”

“You have intimate knowledge of the future and the world. Everyone is using you. I am using you. But I am trying to save your princess too, not collect trinkets.” 

“I don’t need your help, Scaleen. I can find someone else easier, without your pessimism.” 

“No one else with power to help you can afford, politically or otherwise, to listen to you, and none have my patience to verify the stories of a teenage Human raised in a cave.”

Justin stood still. I couldn’t tell if he’d gone paler than his usual pallid self in the shade, but I didn’t try to [Discern]. I was panting a little and I looked around to see if anyone had heard my rant. 

He could kill me. Justin was powerful. He didn’t even have to cast a spell. He didn’t have to raise a fist. He could just yelp and say I’d attacked him. 

These merchant’s kids, secondary nobles looking to impress their house with their skills and knowledge, they’d kill me on the spot. No one was paying attention to the kid in grand robes and the frilled Kobold in livery standing in the shadows of a bar overhang.

“I am so not your tool, Scaleen. I am not a child either. I don’t need your help anymore. I’m sorry you are trying to win some secret Kobold race war. Thanks for saving me. I appreciate it. But we are fucking done here.” 

He turned and walked away. To where, I had no idea. He was wandering towards the CenSum gardens, not the sub-way cart station. 

I was tempted to catch up to him, to apologize. The fate of this city, this world, might depend on my pride and this emotionally-repressed, teenage oracle from another world. It might not. I didn’t know.

What was my time worth? What was my faith worth? In a world without a god, my faith was one of the few currencies I’d refused to bargain away to the temple. What was Justin, against that lifelong dedication against meaningless belief?

I went home to my attic, changed, and packed a bag.

I left for West Sumar.

Not got much to say today. Ask questions and I will answer them in the comments.

11