[818] – Y03.118 – Life Lessons IV
81 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘I expected something more impressive from the Order of Life’s Rose and the Holy Temple of Our Great Mother.’

The prayer room had been simple and small, with little to no decorations, and the statue on its plinth was utterly minuscule. Adam dropped down onto his knees, placing his hands together, before he began to pray to Mother Soza.

‘I’m sorry for being so eager for death this year. The Iyr’s corruption is-,’ Adam winced, inhaling deeply for a moment, before letting out a soft sigh. ‘I apologise for what I’ve done thus far. I’ll do my best to reflect on my mistakes in life and do better. If you ever need any help, let me know. I know that you’ve quietened down from the world, but I have only a deep respect for you.’

“How do you feel?” Mother Priest asked, escorting Adam back to the courtyard of the temple.

“Normal?” Adam replied. “I don’t feel anything different.”

Mother Priest smiled, bowing her head, before they finally arrived at the courtyard. “Would you prefer to stay within the temple, or would you like to settle yourself within an inn?”

“I think an inn might be a wise decision,” Adam replied, his lips forming a small, awkward smirk. “I appreciate all you’ve done for us, Mother Priest. I won’t forget it.”

“I should hope that you do not,” Mother Priest said, glancing aside to Vonda. “We will deal with Vonda’s matters within the temple today. You should prepare the donation you promised.”

“Right,” Adam replied, letting out another sigh, before returning back to his group. ‘Four thousand gold. It’s a good thing we accepted so many jobs from the nobles, otherwise we’d be screwed. As much as I don’t like them, they are paying us for some magical items. Well, we are providing them a service, and we are overcharging them.’ A small smile appeared on Adam’s face. ‘Yeah, that’s right, we should keep auctioning weapons off to make coin.’

“What trouble are you thinking of now?” Dunes asked, patting Adam’s back.

“I just realised there were some magical items which were being auctioned off in Red Oak and I forgot.”

“There have been magical items auctioned in Red Oak?”

“Yeah, I set it up before we left. The Iyr’s in charge of taking the weapons to Red Oak to auction off. I’ve forgotten the Enchanter is making magical weapons to auction off monthly, and I didn’t take it into consideration when I was worrying about money.” Adam smiled even wider. ‘Yeah, that’s right. We should auction them off to nobles and squeeze them dry. If we don’t make enough at the auctions, we’ll just set up our own auctions and charge people an entry fee to make coin. Ah, or maybe we should give the people who spend the most coin the ability to spend even more coin in other ways?’

“Why do you have such a greedy smile in the temple?” Dunes flashed a cheeky smile.

“Hah! If we’re talking about greedy, how could I compare to…” Adam felt Dunes’ hand against his shoulder. Adam met the Aswadian’s eyes, as though daring Adam to continue. “So what if I’m greedy? Do you know how expensive putting kids through university is?”

“Does the Enchanter not pay you enough?”

“Do you know how much I want to spoil my kids? Even all the gold in the world isn’t enough!” 

Lucy’s eyes remained focused on Adam, her will to live slowly crumbling as Adam continued to cause trouble in the order. ‘Just you wait, Adam. Just you wait.’

“Are you fighting with the order again, Mister Adam?” Alex asked.

“I’m not fighting with them,” Adam assured. “They’re going to help us head to the business. Would they help us if we were fighting them?”

“No?”

“Right, right, so that’s why we aren’t fighting. It’s not like I fight against everyone we come across.”

Alex blinked, narrowing his eyes. “Yes. You do.”

“I’m only fighting for…” Adam cleared his throat, realising how bad that would sound. “You’re right, but sometimes there’s a need to fight, and sometimes there isn’t.”

“…”

Adam retreated away. “Jurot… Kitool, you should be in charge of dealing with the children. They’re too scared of the rest of us, and they think I’m an idiot.”

“Okay.”

“It hurts that you don’t deny it.”

“We Iyrmen cannot lie.”

Adam let out a winced gasp, before shutting his mouth tight. “That was mean.”

“It is true.”

“It can be true and it can be mean.”

“Yes.”

“Hu…” Adam began to pretend to cry. “Well, please inform them that we’ll be heading to an inn, and we’ll be heading out in a few days to the business. We’ll give them some spending money to buy some gifts, speaking of which…” Adam pulled out his book and wrote within it, before slipping it back into his shirt. “We’ll have Vasera and…” 

Adam glanced around. “Where’s Vasera?”

“She did not wish to step within the temple out of guilt,” Jurot said.

“Oh…” Adam shrugged his shoulders. “Fair. Jurot, why don’t you find her again, and we can discuss another job for her.”

Jurot remained silent for a moment, wondering if Adam had let it slip on purpose. “Okay.”

The group prepared the children to leave, making sure they had finished their prayers in the temple, and each had slipped at least a silver coin to the temple on Adam’s insistence. 

“What do you mean? I gave you the coin and you’re giving the coin to the temple, so Mother Soza knows it’s from you,” Adam said, rubbing Poppy’s head. ‘This kid is too smart.’

“Executive Adam,” called a voice. 

Adam turned to spot a pretty woman with short hair, dark eyes, and a large build, the kind of build which would have been best for a member of Black Mountain. “Yes?”

“I am Fourth Hope Willow, and we will be assisting you,” she said, extending out a hand.

Adam grasped her forearm. “It’s good news that we’ll be having a Hope assisting us.”

“Our group will accompany you beginning now,” she said.

“Ah. Right. Yes. Thank you so much. We’ll try and deal with your lodgings too.”

“There is no need, the purse of Life’s Rose will deal with our own lodgings.”

“Absolutely not,” Adam replied. “The business will not allow it. Consider it a continuation of our donations to Life’s Rose.”

“It is fine, Executive.”

“No, no,” Adam replied, inhaling deeply once more. “The business’ purse is not so light that an accompanying Hope, or their Rays, will have need to spend the coin of the Holy Temple of Our Great Mother. Please take our position in this matter into consideration, for what will they say when they hear that we allowed such indecency occur?”

“…”

“I don’t care if you like it, Fourth Hope, but we’re going to spend our coin to make sure you’re taken care of on the way to the business.” 

Fourth Hope only bowed her head, still slightly confused as to why Adam seemed to be wanting to fight to spend gold on the order’s members, but she decided to let it pass. She looked towards Dunes, who flashed a smile towards her, before they continued to prepare the children.

The group made their way out, going to the side of the island once more, before the bridge of light was formed again. The Fourth Hope rode her steed forward, leading the wagons.

“Where do you wish to stay?” Willow asked.

Adam looked to Jurot, who looked to Kitool, who thought for a moment. They needed to find a place which would be acceptable for the Hopes and Rays. Adam glanced around, noting how quickly the people seemed to be moving. 

‘I thought this place was meant to be slow going…’

“Vasera?” Adam asked, staring at the woman while she was drinking in the corner. He hadn’t expected to see her in the inn, considering all the fine woods, as well as how it appeared to be almost like an estate rather than an inn. 

“You’ve finally come out have you?” Vasera glanced towards the other Hope, raising her brow towards them. “You brought quite an esteemed guest.”

“The Fourth Hope is going to be leading us back to the business.”

“So you don’t need our help?”

“Actually, I was going to find you to speak with you. Executive Kitool, why don’t you get us set up in the inn?”

“Okay.”

Adam made his way to Vasera, kicking up a seat beside Rook, leaning back in his chair. “We’re hoping there isn’t going to be a mess on the way back, but you know how the Aldish are.”

“Treacherous kotha.”

“Exactly. So… how much for your assistance?”

“One hundred gold per head for one month.”

“One hundred gold per your head, right?”

“Yes.”

Adam held out his hand, not needing to barter with her, even though she did owe him a favour. However, as far as Adam was concerned, she had gone a long way to paying off that debt.

“Where’s the priest?”

“She’s becoming a Mother.”

“Congratulations,” Vasera replied. “Is that your seventh child then?”

“Not that kind of Mother.”

“…” Vasera tilted her head slightly. 

“The priestly rank,” Rook explained.

“Oh! Congratulations to her! We need more drinks!”


xDvVsFM.png


Even Vasera... 

Looks like all the issues are solved and Adam won't be in trouble with any of the orders!

2