51. The Great Plan
332 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey, Jurot,” Adam called out one morning. “Let’s become rich together.”

Jurot sipped the last remaining portion of his soup, tasting the saltiness. He stared at Adam for a long while, silent.

“I can’t create the handles of the weapons, but I can make the rest of the weapon. I’ll leave the wooden sections of the weapons to you. Then I’ll enchant them. You can test the weapons out, and If the weapon is decent, and I have enchanted it well, you could put your seal of approval on it. That way it’ll sell for a much greater price.”

“How much would you offer me?” Jurot asked, staring at the half elf. ‘He wants to use the name of the Iyr to make a name for himself?’

“One tenth of the profit I make for your craftsmanship, and an additional tenth if you attach your name to it.” Adam thought for a long moment. “We should probably ask for permission from your mother too.”

Jurot remained staring at Adam for a long while. ‘Is that why he wanted to be my friend? He wanted to use my name to make money?’ Still, if Adam was selling off the weapons using his craftsmanship, then he’d be able to spread his name through it too, and make a large amount of gold doing so. 

“That’s too complicated,” Jurot said. “Make it twenty percent, whether or not I attach my name to it or give my seal of approval.”

“Deal,” Adam said, raising a hand out to shake Jurot’s.

‘Twenty percent is a large cut for someone barely working,’ Jurot thought. He was certain Adam would have denied the offer, that way his hands would be clean of the matter. ‘To think you would actually agree.’ However, the die had been cast. Jurot had said he would do it, and so, he shook Adam’s hand.

“What weapon should we make?” Adam asked. He wasn’t sure what the culture was like, exactly, and so would need to rely on Jurot’s knowledge.

“Most weapons will have a buyer within the Iyr, but swords, spears, and axes are popular outside the Iyr too.”

Omen: 12, 15

“Let’s make an axe,” Adam said, considering Jurot’s family. “Does your family have enough gems?” He still needed gems for enchanting, since gems channelled his magic.

“Don’t you have your own gems?” Jurot stared at him, squinting at Adam, suspicious.

“Oh, right, I do…” Adam paused for a moment. “If I use the gems of your family, won’t you make an additional cut?”

Jurot stared at Adam, blinking at him. “Didn’t you want to be rich?” He was understanding the half elf less and less as they spoke.

“Sure, but I don’t mind increasing the Rot family’s wealth while I’m at it.” Adam smiled. “I’ll be bothering you guys often, so I might as well earn your favour with cold, hard cash.” 

‘I should stop thinking about you making any sense,” Jurot thought.

They approached Sonarot, who was relaxing under the shade outside. She was holding Lanarot to her chest, who was fast asleep. 

“Hey, Sonarot,” Adam whispered. “I was planning on making some magical weapons to make some money. Is it okay if I borrowed some gems and materials from the Rot family? I’ll pay you back and give you a cut of the profits.”

Sonarot bowed her head slowly at him. “You may,” she whispered.

The courtyard was strangely quiet, though there were a handful of Iyrmen about. It seemed that the arrival of Lanarot had changed the air in the courtyard. Though the Iyrmen were eager to play, they did so quietly, as to not disturb the baby. The children went off to play in the nearby courtyard. 

Adam leaned in to stare down at Lanarot, seeing her tiny, wrinkled, face, which reminded him of an alien. She was snoozing lightly, gasping for each breath as she slept. He smiled at her. 

Adam followed Jurot, who went to requisition some wood and ore using his family’s name. Elder Zijin noted Adam nearby, but didn’t mention anything about the matter. He found some wood and ore, and the pair made their way to a forge.

Smithing (Intelligence)
D20 + 4 = 15 (11)

Smithing (Strength)
D20 + 5 = 7 (3)
Omen: 12, 15 -> 15
12 + 5 = 17

Smithing (Dexterity)
D20 + 2 = 20 (18)

XP: 1900 -> 1910

‘Hmm? I get experience for that?’ Adam thought. He was certain he didn’t receive experience last time for creating Lanarot’s axe. ‘Weird.’

He had forged the head of the axe using the ore. It was fairly basic iron, which was used to make most weapons in the Kingdom.

Jurot revealed the handle of the axe, which he had carved exquisitely with an intricate pattern of the Iyr. There was a circle at the base, with many diamonds move all along the axe to form a grip. The handle itself was made of a popular wood within the Iyr, though was considered to be quite basic. 

Adam finished the axe by fitting it together and then practised a few swings with it before handing it to Jurot, who went through the various patterns that he practised in the morning. 

“Good work,” Adam said, sharpening the blade.

Jurot nodded, watching Adam polishing the axe. It was awkward, doing so little work and yet being paid so much. Something about the situation caused his heart to grumble at him.

“Adam,” called a familiar voice. 

Adam’s head snapped to the Chief, who awaited for him at once side. “Yes?”

“Are you free?”

“For the Chief? Of course.” Adam smiled nervously. “I’m not in trouble, am I?”

Chief Iromin stared at him. “Did you do anything troubling?”

“I hope not.”

“Me too.”

Adam handed the axe to Jurot, who watched as the half elf followed the Chief out. 

They made their way to the courtyard of the Chief’s estate, where there were several older Iyrmen waiting for him. There were two women in plate armour, which was of Iyrman make, and each wielded a large weapon at their backs. One wore a glave, the other wore a greatsword. The last Iyrman was a man, unarmoured like most Iyrmen, with an axe at his side. 

Adam squinted his eyes, trying to recall if he had met them before, but noting their various patterns, he wasn’t sure. 

The Chief motioned a hand to an open spot, before taking the opposite seat. Adam sat beside the woman with the glave at her back, who sat on his right. His left side was free, in case he needed to bolt away.

“Allow me to introduce you to the Great Elders,” the Chief said.

Adam instantly shot up, his spine as straight as a blade of dwarven make. 

“Elder Forest, Elder Gold, and Elder Wrath.” The Chief motioned his hand to the various Great Elders, staring from the woman beside the half elf.

Adam nodded his head to each of them. “It’s a pleasure to meet you all.” His eyes fell across Elder Gold’s armour, noting the symbol. “Baktu is great, isn’t he?”

“Yes,” she replied, simply. “Are you a follower?”

“I’m not sure follower is the right term, but I like him a lot. He’s one of my favourites for sure.” Adam smiled a polite smile. He was trying to earn the Great Elder’s favour.

‘Is he trying to threaten me,’ Elder Gold wondered. Those who prayed to Baktu were often those with ill intent. Still, if he did truly worship Baktu, perhaps he wasn’t so bad after all?

Adam glanced between the Elders, noting Elder Forest’s smile, and the other two glaring down at him, sizing him up. “Am I in trouble?” 

“No,” the Chief said, cutting off Elder Gold before she could try to bully him. “There are just some worries the Great Elders have, and we are hoping you would be willing to answer a few questions, willingly.”

“I will cast a spell, the very same Lykan had cast on you previously.”

“Ah, I know the spell.” Adam nodded his head, before he tilted his head.

“What?” Elder Gold asked.

“Lykan. Is he related to Amokan?”

“He is Amokan’s uncle,” the Chief said.

“Oh.” Adam squinted his eyes again, falling into thought. “He uses a flail, though? Isn’t his family weapon a greatsword?”

“Lykan is the Front Iyr Elder, and must use the weapon passed down from Front Iyr Elder to Front Iyr Elder,” the Chief said. 

“Oh.” Adam nodded his head slowly. ‘It’s a little embarrassing I only figured their connection out now.’

Elder Gold threw a look to the Chief, before she raised her hand. “You are asked to speak truthfully,” she chanted, as magic seized through Adam’s body. 

Charisma Save
Voluntary failure.

Adam relaxed, allowing the magic to take a hold of his mind. “I didn’t expect you to be able to cast the spell,” Adam admitted. 

“I have sworn my oaths,” Elder Gold said, bowing her head.

“Oh! You’re a…” Adam smiled. “My favourite class.”

“Class?” Elder Gold asked, raising her brow.

“I mean, it’s my favourite…” Adam thought for a moment, trying to figure out how he should word it. “You know how Jurot uses his rage? My favourite…” Adam paused again. ‘How much can I say, exactly? How much should I say?’ “Well, let’s just say that I really like your abilities. I aim to learn some of those abilities in the future.”

Elder Gold stared at him long and hard. “Do you believe it to be so simple?”

“I’m sure I’ll have to work hard in some way.”

She narrowed her eyes. “You had told the Chief a story previously, about a threat to the Iyr. Do you remember?”

“Yes.”

“Is the story true?”

“Yes,” Adam replied. “At the very least, it’s true to me.”

Elder Gold remained silent for a long while. She had half expected him to be lying. He would have been kicked out the Iyr, and she would have been done with this matter. The story which he had told would have been dismissed as untrustworthy, or an outright lie.

She exchanged a look with the Chief, who remained focused on Adam. 

He had only half believed the story himself, but to hear that it was true from his lips, and knowing that the spell had taken a hold within his mind, it changed a few things.

“Do you think it could be an illusion?” Elder Gold asked. “That you were put under a spell?”

“Maybe,” Adam replied, simply. “The things I’ve seen…” He placed a hand on the table in front of him, squeezing it. “The things I’ve felt. All of it could have been an illusion, and perhaps, even now, you’re all illusions too.” Adam stared up at Elder Gold, deep into her eyes. “However, it was real to me.”

“Why did you bring the news to the Iyr? Why not bring it to the Kingdom?”

“I wanted to warn you,” he said. “That creature, it’s too dangerous to be left alone. If it does appear in this world, then I hope the Iyr will do something about it, or at the very least, you will warn the world about the threat. I don’t expect the world to band together and defeat it, I don’t have that much faith in people.” Adam chuckled. “In terms of why I didn’t bring it to the Kingdom, well, perhaps I should have?” 

“What your intentions in the Iyr?”

Adam let out a soft exhale, clasping his hands together on the table. “In my previous life, I was treated quite well by the Iyr, specifically by the Rot family. I hope that, in this life…” Adam swallowed, glancing aside. “It’s rather embarrassing.”

Elder Gold remained glaring at Adam.

“I want to make sure that my little sister grows up well,” Adam said. “I’ve lost a little sister, and I’ve even lost Lanarot once. I can’t let it happen again.”

“And if the Iyr chooses to reject you?” Elder Gold asked, glaring at him.

“Whether or not the Iyr accepts me, it is irrelevant to that.” Adam returned the glare. “Only Sonarot can stop me.”

The Chief threw his head back and burst out into laughter. He shouted something in the Iyrman’s tongue. He slapped the table and repeated the words.

Elder Gold sighed, waving her hand to Adam. “You may leave.”

Elder Forest was snickering, almost ready to burst too. Elder Wrath just grinned wide, staring down at Adam for a long moment, before glancing towards Elder Gold, his eyes holding an joke only known between them. 

“Baktu bless you,” Adam said, bowing his head, before looking to the Chief. The Chief nodded and Adam left, returning back to the Rot family house. 

“What do you think?” Chief Iromin asked. “He spoke true under the effects of your spell.”

“Perhaps it is true to his heart, but his heart could change,” she replied.

“You were the one to propose this solution, are you telling me you’re going to break your word now that you’ve found that you were wrong?”

“Even as the Chief, you should be careful with your words.”

The Chief placed a hand on her shoulder. “You may continue to watch him, I will not stop you. However, that is all I will permit.”

“Did you even need to say that?” Elder Gold huffed. “I will admit, he’s not as bad as I first thought.”

It was already late in the evening, so the people of the Iyr were joining together to eat dinner in their courtyards. Once Adam had returned to the courtyard, he noted the various families coming together. Tomojin was sitting nearby too, as per usual.

Lanarot was currently eating from her mother’s teet, her eyes tired. 

“Welcome back,” Sonarot said. “I heard you were taken by the Chief. Did you have fun?”

“Not really,” Adam said, thinking about how stressful the situation was. The magic which had taken hold of him disappeared. “Elder Gold didn’t even drop the spell.”

“The spell?” Sonarot asked. ‘Elder Gold?’

“Zone of Truth, I think,” he said.

Sonarot tilted her head slightly. “Did you meet with the Great Elders?”

“Yes, I did.” Adam wondered if all the Great Elders were human.

“What did they ask?”

“They were suspicious of me,” Adam said. “They wanted to make sure what I told you and the Chief was true. I made the Chief laugh too.”

Sonarot raised her brow, but Adam didn’t elaborate. He wasn’t sure if it had been good or bad.

 


zV51IpY.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


And so begins Adam's plan to become rich!

12