63. The Guardian
316 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam gasped as he awoke, completely covered in sweat. He saw the Iyrmen staring at him, raising their brows. Adam reached up to grab his neck, recalling the sword which had gone through it. 

“Fucking hell,” he said, rubbing his neck. “It would have been embarrassing if I died a third time.”

The others stared at him with a curios look, especially Lucy, who was confused as to what he was talking about. ‘Dying a third time? Did he hit on his head?’ Then she thought for a moment. ‘Did he really die twice?’ She partly believed it because she had been whisked away to this world, and, he was probably stupid enough to die twice.

They ate breakfast quickly and made their way through the forest, with the Iyrmen leading once more, taking their positions as they had done previously.

“It’s good that you’re all alive,” Adam said. “I hear the forest needs to be awakened by sacrificing living things.”

“Yes,” Okvar replied. “The more potent the life, the greater the forest.” He glanced around. “Whatever the forest found, it must have been bountiful.”

Adam threw a look to Jurot, who quickly moved his eyes away. “Right, well, let’s hope it’s no one we know.”

“Stop talking about nonsense, and let’s go find Mara.”

The guilt eat away at Adam. Eventually, he couldn’t help himself. “Hey, Lucy, you don’t think that Ma-“

Health: 26 -> 21

Lucy’s response was more violent than he expected as she kicked him right in the back of the knee, causing him to stumble forward.

“Do you think my Mara is going to lose to a bunch of trees? I’ll have you know, Mara was the most powerful demon in my command!” Lucy huffed, clenching her fists. 

"She was?"

"She was as strong as me!” Lucy declared, lying. “She also knew how to cook and clean! How scary!”

"Scary?" Adam rubbed the back of his knee. 

"Yeah! How can she be so strong and so good at other useful things? It's not right! If she's strong, she should be a terrible cook like me!" Lucy clenched her fists tighter. “And how can she have such big ti-“

"Sounds like she was the strongest demon,” Adam said. 

"That's right!” Lucy puffed out her chest. “There's no way she’ll lose to a bunch of trees."

'I've got a bad feeling about this.' Adam thought, frowning. 'There’s no way it’ll be so obvious, killing off Mara to form the forest. No, no, this isn’t a shitty story.’

The forest ended up become denser with each step, and the Iyrmen tread carefully forward. 

"We should just chop the bushes up ahead!" Lucy grumbled, hugging Okvar tight from behind as he carried her. 

"We shouldn't disturb the forest as it awakens," he admonished.
 
"Huh? Why not?" Lucy asked. She took his words to heart, since he was so handsome and strong.

"Otherwise we will be beset," Wujyn said. “A forest which has only just awakened has great terrors hidden within it.”

"Oh? Hmm…” Lucy fell into thought, eventually agreeing with them. “These Iyrmen sure are smart. Isn't it unfair if they're smart and strong?"

"They grow up on their stories and learn about history through them." Adam smiled. "That's how Jurot knows so much too."

"Hmm. I should marry an Iyrman and have them join me. Plus, it seems they're all so damn hunky too. Unfair!"

Adam chuckled. "You like hunky men? Then wait until you get to the Iyr. Almost all the men and women are that hunky."

"Seriously? Nice! This Demon Lord approves! I want a harem of hunky men and women to worship me! If they’re really that hunky, I’ll let them carry me around the Iyr." 

Adam chuckled. 

“Wait,” Lokat said, stopping. The other Iyrmen stopped an instant later.

“Why have we stopped?” Lucy asked.
 
Lokat stared at the forest ahead of her for a long while. "The Guardian is ahead."

"Guardian?" Adam asked.

"That which has been tasked to protect the forest for the next century."

Adam’s ears twitched slightly. ‘A Guardian, huh? Sounds pretty powerful.’ He hadn’t heard about a Guardian before.
 
"Oh," Lucy said. "Let's go meet it! If it's strong, I'll bring it to my side!" She grinned wide. 

"We should pay our respects," Lokat said, cautiously. 

Adam wondered what kind of being it was that it made Lokat, with all these Iyrmen, pause.

Lokat stepped forward, now leading the way, and within moments, they were stepping into a large grove, one which certainly hadn’t been in front of them. There was a large tree which was sat down, relaxing under the sun.

"I have guests," it said slowly, its words coming out in their own pace. It was a tree, but it had arms and legs, and a face etched onto the bark.
 
"You!" Lucy snarled like a vicious beast, leaping off of Okvar to try and attack the tree ahead. "You! I'll kill you!"

Okvar grabbed at the girl, keeping her at bay as she snarled.

"It will be diffi-" 

Lucy continued to snarl, her entire body convulsing with rage. Her neck grew taught, staining and bulging as she struggled. The tree reached over with a finger, a long branch, and touched her forehead, which caused the little demon girl to convulse once more, before she grew limp, snoring lightly. 

"Oh, there's no need for that, young half fey," it said.
 
Adam’s fingers were wrapped around the hilt of his magical sword, staring up at the tree. Even now, he could feel its great strength. It was like he was facing against one of the many gods. He was in its domain, and he was fairly sure he’d be unable to fight it, especially at his level.

"Shall we speak?" it asked.

"We are Iyrmen,” Lokat said. “We wish for peace." 

"Hmm.” It remained silent for a long while. “Some come bearing weapons used to fell my trees."
 
"Sometimes chopping down trees saves forests,” Adam said, still staring at the creature. 

"You are not wrong."

"Plus, you guys attacked us first."

"We were fast asleep, unable to control ourselves. For that, we apologise.”

“As long as you pay appropriate compensation,” Adam replied, a small smirk appearing on his face.

Lokat stared at the boy. ‘What are you doing?’

"What is it that you wish for?”

Adam looked to the Iyrmen. "Well? What do you guys think?"

"Safe passage for all Iyrmen,” Lokat said, taking the lead.

"It can be done," it replied.

"Me and my people too," Adam said.

"Who are your people?"

"Uh. Well." Adam rubbed his chin. "I don't know."

"I’m sure you understand that may be difficult.”

"Alright, sure." Adam chuckled. "I might make a symbol or something for my people. Perhaps a code?”

"Very well."

"If you are willing, we Iyrmen may also wish for this to become a sanctuary for the Iyr,” Lokat said.

"It can be done. What offer can you make?"

"It will be the Chief who will make the offer,” Okvar said. “We will pass the message."

"Very well. Then, will you assist me?"

"What is it that you need, Guardian?" Lokat asked.

"Defend the forest from outside aggressors for the next decade, until the forest has grown to its full length."

"We are currently on a mission for a certain herb,” the Iyrman said. “Do you have a Blue Moon Rose?”

"Not now, but once the moon is above us, I will."

"Jurot and Adam,” Lokat said, turning to face them. “Will you remain? We will continue on to the nearby city and send a message to the Iyr. If someone comes to claim this forest, Jurot, you must say that this forest is claimed by the Iyr."
 
"Yes,” Jurot said, nodding his head. 

“We will leave,” Lokat said, staring at the Guardian. 

The tree waved its branch arm behind them, causing the trees to part way, and the Iyrmen followed the path out.

“If something happens to either of those three, the Iyr will hear of it.” Lokat dared to warn the Guardian.

“I will bring them no harm, and nor will the forest, as long as they remain peaceful.”

Once the Iyrmen left, Adam turned to face the tree. "I think it's time you took me to see my future wife," Adam said, a smile on his lips, though his eyes were cold. 

"What do you mean?"

"There's a busty demon with red hair in this forest, isn’t there?”

It remained silent for a long while. Then, it waved an arm, the trees parting and revealing another path. Adam picked Lucy up and carried her, and Jurot followed after him. 

A few minutes later, they appeared at another grove. There, engulfed by wood, was a beautiful sleeping face. It was a pale grey, though much paler than Lucy, almost sickly.

"Is she dead?" Adam asked.

"No,” the Guardian replied.

"Can she be saved?”

"Yes."

"How?"

"Someone must take her place for a century."

Adam puffed out his cheeks, shaking his head. “Is there any other way?"

"If you can find something within the next ten years to replace her, she can be freed.”

“Something like what?”

“The hearts of adult dragons.”
 
Adam bit his lower lip. "Can you wake Lucy up?"

"Yes." It placed a finger on Lucy’s forehead.

Lucy slowly awoke, her eyes first catching Adam’s face, before her eyes darted to the side where she saw her companion. "Mara! Let her go you tree bastard!" She tried to stand, but found it was hard to gather her strength.

"Lucy," Adam said.

"You damn fucker! I'll cut you down! Just you wait! I’ll burn this entire forest down!" She managed to find enough strength to crawl towards the tree.

"Lucy." 

"Bastard!" Lucy thumped her fist against the tree.

"You can still save her," Adam said, dropping to a knee beside her.

"Let her go! I’ll kill you all, you bastard trees! Just you wait!" She continued to thump the tree, trying to gather her strength.

Adam sighed, letting Lucy throw her tantrum. After a few minutes, she lay there, unable to even raise her arm to attack the tree. 

"Are you a Demon Lord?" Adam asked.
 
"What are you talking about right now? Mara, she’s right there! You need to save her."

"Are you a Demon Lord?" Adam repeated.

"I'm not a Demon Lord,” she said. “I'm the Demon Lord."

"Can you beat a dragon?"

"Tch!” Lucy panted for breath. “Of course I can."

"Right now?"

"Obviously not now, you bastard! I'm just a little girl." Lucy covered her eyes with the back of her arm.

"How about in eight years?"

"Eight years?” Lucy asked. “As long as I train hard, sure."

"Good. You, Jurot, and I, are going to slay an evil dragon and bring it's heart here."

"What?"

"Mara can be replaced.”

“She’s irreplaceable, you no good bastard!”

“I mean in the forest. We can swap her out for a dragon’s heart.”

"We can? Is that right, tree bastard? Can Mara be saved?"

"Her life force will be drained, but if you bring a dragon’s heart, you can save her.”

"Hmph! We demons are strong! You better pay us back!" Lucy growled.
 
"We must apologise, but it had to be done."

"Bastard! I'll kill you!"

"Lucy, relax. He's not an enemy."

"He's my enemy."

"Do you want to save Mara or not?" 

Lucy refused to look at Mara at the moment. "I'll definitely save you, Mara! You hear? Just you wait!"
 
Adam rubbed his forehead. "Relax. We'll get to it in time." 

"You... You don't understand. Mara is the only one I know in this world. She, she's..." Lucy began to shake, and covered her eyes with the back of her arm again.

Adam wanted to tell her everything was going to be fine, but he couldn’t find the strength. He wasn’t sure what to say.

Quests Complete
Meet the Demon Lord
+ 100XP
Promises Made (Demon Lord)
+100XP
Meet the Guardian
+100XP
Promises Made (Guardian)
+100XP
XP: 2650 -> 3050

‘I should check how much it is to level…’ 

"It seems that some visitors have arrived," the Guardian said, cutting Adam’s thoughts.
 
"We should go and see who it is,” Jurot said, who had watched the entire scene unfold. “We must declare the forest has been claimed by the Iyr.”
 
“Lucy, you should say here,” he said. 

"Don't tell me what to do,” she grumbled from the ground. 

"I'm serious, Lucy. If you come, things will become difficult." Adam felt that the appearance of a demon might alarm the people.

"Hmph! Are you saying that if they see the Demon Lord that it'll cause problems!"

"Yes.”

"Ah, right..." Lucy looked to Mara. "Right, I should stay here and protect my Mara..."

"Yeah,” Adam said, smiling. “Leave it to your Generals to deal with the rest, alright?"

"Right."

“Remember the Iyrmen’s warning,” Adam said to the tree. “If anything happens to her, don’t think they’ll be able to stop me.”

The tree remained silent.

 


zV51IpY.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


Who could it be?

12