68. Level Three!
335 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam hadn’t expected to feel such relief as he returned to the Iyr, the walls filling him with comfort.

‘Ah, so this is how Iyrmen feel,’ he thought. It was an awkward feeling, though he wasn’t sure if he could accept it.

It had taken almost a week to return, sailing upriver back to the Iyr. They had avoided the towns and cities on the way back, though Adam hadn’t asked why. He was too busy thinking of Sonarot, hoping she was fine.

It was late afternoon by the time they returned back to the Front Iyr, where all the children had lined up to see the returning few. They were clapping and cheering, excited to see the return of so many legendary Iyrmen. They were too busy staring at the legends, they didn’t notice the stranger among the returning group.

“You’ve returned safely,” Lykan said, greeting the almost two dozen Iyrmen who had returned. The Mithril Rank Iyrmen each bowed their heads to the Elder, even though they could easily gut the man, and even the Gold Rank bowed her head.

“Yo,” Adam said, flashing a smile to the handsome Lykan. “I’m back.”

“It’s good to see you return too,” Lykan said, shaking the half elf’s forearm.

“Is Sonarot fine?” Adam asked.

“I have not received news otherwise,” Lykan replied, simply. “The herb should be processing at this very moment.”

“Well, since we’ve returned…” Adam smirked. “Do you want to hear our story?”

“Yes,” Lykan said, smiling. “I do.”

The group were led to the centre where food had been gathered for their return. Once they were comfortable, Jurot and Dargon were tasked with telling the story, Dargon stopping when Jurot spoke of what happened when they went missing, and Jurot stopping when Dargon spoke of what happened when they continued to the town.

The children remained silently, sitting completely still, like little walls. Upon hearing the torture of the Shamans, they gasped, barely able to believe that it had happened, and they jeered noisily.

‘Wow,’ Adam thought. ‘They don’t censor anything, do they?’

“A Demon Lord?” Lykan asked, glancing towards Lucy, who remained beside Adam, looking all about the small village.

‘This is the Iyr? I thought there would be more…’ She was still half terrified of the Iyrmen, but there was a deep sense of disappointment within her.

“Yep,” Adam replied, simply.

“You understand that we cannot allow her into the Main Iyr,” Lykan said. “A stranger who claims to be the Demon Lord.” He wondered what Adam would do, since he seemed to be so close with this stranger.

“I thought you’d say that,” Adam said, reaching into his pack, taking out a letter.

Lykan took the letter, opening it and scanning it with his eyes. He read it twice, before folding the letter and placing it into his pocket. “How did you do it?”

“I asked nicely,” Adam replied, smiling at the Elder.

“So the Chief has already fallen for your charms,” Lykan said, as though it were a matter of fact.

“I do have sixteen Charisma,” Adam joked.

“What?”

“Nothing,” Adam said, clearing his throat.

Lucy had been reluctant to leave Mara behind, but Adam had managed to convince her to come to the Iyr. If there was anyone with the ability to bring back a dragon’s heart, it would be an Iyrman. He didn’t want her to be alone, and he also didn’t want her to see Mara’s predicament, which was a most terrible sight. He also didn’t trust Big Ivory.

Convincing the Chief to write the letter had been so much easier. Adam had simply asked for him to write a letter allowing Lucy inside the Main Iyr, and he had written it then and there.

“You’re a curious one, Adam, son of Fate,” Lykan admitted. He had met so many people, but none were as mysterious as Adam. “Even now, I don’t understand you.”

“I’m more simple than you think,” Adam said, chuckling.

“Are you?”

“Simple, but strange.”

“Yes,” Lykan said, smiling slightly. “You are.”

The children all swarmed Lucy once the story was done, some babbling in their own tongue, others mumbling their questions.

“Is it true?” a child asked.

“Are you a Demon Lord?” another clarified.

“That’s right!” Lucy declared. “I am the Demon Lord! I will raise an army and claim my realm in the future!”

“Wow!”

“I’ll be the one to defeat you!”

“No, I’ll kill you!”

“No, it’ll be me!”

Lucy stared at the children. ‘W-what?’

Adam stared at her, and let out a soft sigh, smirking at her.

Lucy’s brow covered with sweat. “Wait, no, you can’t kill me,” she said.

“Why not?” a child asked as all the other children fell silent to hear the reason.

“I don’t want to die,” she said, simply.

The children all stared at her, waiting to hear the rest of her reason.

“So?” a child said, after waiting long enough to realise she wasn’t going to continue.

Lucy stared at the children before her, all of them staring at her with such a piercing look. She looked to Adam for support, but found him staring at the children, his eyes full of shock.

‘These kids are fucking crazy.’

Omen: 10, 12

Lucy, who was standing beside him, was still half in shock after meeting with the children of the Iyr. ‘Where am I? Mara, help! Take me away from here!’

Adam was too excited to return back to the Main Iyr. ‘Sonarot, we’re almost back…’ His heart pounded wildly. There was a single, nagging thought at the back of his head, constantly eating away at him. He needed to see her, alive and well, otherwise he’d be torn apart from his dark thoughts.

Jurot matched Adam’s quick pace, wanting to see his mother. ‘What a great story I have for mother! The second time I leave and I managed to claim some land for the Iyr!’

There they were, the huge gates of the Iyr. They shuddered open with the help of the nearby Iyrmen, and the moment it opened, Adam darted in. Jurot followed after him, unable to contain himself either.

The Gold Rank Iyrman, Ruzys, almost called out for them, but Lokat placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Let them go,” the Shaman said.

Ruzys, who had been tasked with bringing the group back safely, nodded her head. She went to find an Elder to speak to, and Lokat went to speak with the Shamans.

Adam and Jurot stormed into the courtyard, seeing all the familiar Iyrmen about. The four families had gathered to relax this day, surrounding a familiar form. She was thinner than before, but sitting in her chair, Sonarot looked up to see the pair of young men appear.

There was a moment of silence, which was only broken by Turot marching forward towards the pair. He stood tall, staring up at them. “Welcome home!” he declared, as expected of him.

Adam’s lips were a wide smile as he saw the boy, and he picked Turot up. “Did you look over the estate well?” He was unable to contain his joy and excitement.

“Of course he did,” Jurot said, ruffling the boy’s hair, before speeding over to his mother, grabbing her hand.

“I did,” Turot confirmed with a nod of his head.

Adam placed the boy down, ruffled his hair, and walked to Sonarot, leaving the boy to cross his arms, proud that he had completed his role.

Sonarot stood, embracing her Jurot tight. “Welcome home.” He peppered his forehead with kisses. “I’m glad you’ve returned to me safely.”

“Mother, I have so much to tell you!” Jurot grinned wide, glad his mother was well.

Sonarot let go of her son, holding his face with her hands, before she then walked over to Adam. She hugged him tight, and kissed his untattooed forehead too. “Welcome home. I’m glad you’ve returned to me safely.” She held onto his reddening face.

Adam felt awkward being embraced by the woman, but he was glad she was fine. “Yeah,” he said, staring down at her.

She stared up at him expectantly, her eyes staring deep into his.

He stared at her for a long moment. “What?”

“You have a promise to keep, don’t you?”

“Ah, right. Where’s Lanarot?”

“Not that promise.” She kept brushing his hair.

Adam stared at her for a long while, trying to remember.

Intelligence Check
D20 + 3 = 20 (17)

“Ah, right,” he said, turning a deeper shade of red. “I’m back, aunt.”

Sonarot smiled wide, before taking his hand and leading him around to Lanarot, who was currently laying in a small basket, with the children as they watched over her. The children stepped aside to allow the pair close.

“Come, carry her,” Sonarot said.

“Uh, sure,” Adam said. He squatted down and reached to pick her up, keeping a hand on the back of her head. “Oh, she’s so big now.” He could feel how heavy Lanarot had become.

“Isn’t she?” Sonarot smiled.

Adam stared down at the little baby. “Wow. Who is this big girl? Didn’t I tell you not to grow up too quick?” Adam couldn’t help but smile, and he sighed suddenly. “We’re back, Lanarot.” He positioned her so she could see Jurot too, but kept her close to his chest.

Lanarot yawned sleepily at him.

“I have returned,” Jurot said, staring down at the little baby. He noted that she had grown since they had last left. There was a small sense of relief which filled his heart, and his lips twitched, trying to form a smile, but he kept it at bay.

“Ehm,” called a voice from the side.

Lucy stood there, awkwardly staring at them. Okvar was behind her, having made sure that the other Iyrmen had left her in peace.

“Oh,” Adam said, having forgotten they had brought her here. “Right. Uh.”

Lucy stormed forward towards him, but after a step, she quickly stopped, noting the other Iyrmen about. They hadn’t moved, but she had sensed their intent spike towards her the moment she had taken a step forward. ‘Are they going to kill me?’ She glanced between them all before looking to Adam, staring up at him for support.

“Sonarot, you should meet Lucy,” Adam said. “Lanarot, come see the Demon Lord too.”

The children gasped when they heard her title, glancing between one another.

“The Demon Lord?” Sonarot asked, her brows furrowed towards the half elf.

“Yes,” Adam said. “So she claims.” Adam smiled wide. “She’s from another world.”

Sonarot smiled, tilting her head slightly. “Oh?”

“Speaking of which, I think-“

“I definitely won’t try to take over the Iyr,” Lucy said, quickly, staring between the Iyrmen. She noted the gazes of the children, who stared at her as though she was prey.

“Yes?” Sonarot said, staring at the girl.

Lucy stared at Adam. “I’m serious. I definitely won’t, ever. I swear.” Her brow was covered with sweat. She had followed Adam all the way to the estate, but as she had, she noted all the Iyrmen about. The older Iyrmen were almost all roughly the strength of those that were called Mithril Rank, and she had spotted dozens of them around, and she had only just stepped into the Iyr. ‘This place is terrifying.’

“Anyway,” Adam said, clearing his throat. “Let’s eat and hear Jurot regale the tale. Once we’re done, I’ll let you know my story.”

Quest Complete: Save Sonarot
XP Gained: +200
XP: 3050 -> 3250

‘I wonder if I have enough experience to level…’ Adam tried to think about the amount of XP it had required last time. ‘Hey Belle, can I level?’

[Yes.]

‘Oh. I should have levelled up before.’

[Yes.]

‘Why didn’t you tell me?’

[You didn’t ask.]

‘…’

Level up!
XP: 3250 -> 1250
Health: 26 -> 39
Mana: 3 -> 8
Gained two spells!

‘I really should have levelled up before…’

Jurot sat and went through the tale, speaking of everything which had happened to them once they had left the Iyr. Upon mention of how they met the Demon Lord, the children cheered and clapped their hands excitedly.

Lucy swallowed nervously. The children were far too excited to hear about the meeting with the Demon Lord, which caused them to look at the demon girl beside them. Once more, she was like a prey to them.

The story continued, revealing the meeting with the Guardian, which made the children cheer louder. Jurot gave a few moments of pause for the children to murmur between themselves about how much they wanted to beat the Guardian.

Lucy sighed in relief now that she was no longer in their sights.

Once the mention of Lokat’s torture appeared, the children gasped.

“We should kill them!” Raygak declared, before snarling in the infernal tongue, no doubt cursing.

Jaygak grabbed her little brother and pulled him to her side, giving him a noogie. He squealed, trying to pull away from his sister, complaining in the tongue of the Iyrmen and the devilkin.

“Be quiet,” Jaygak said, before pulling the boy onto her lap, which caused him to fall silent as he rubbed the top of his head.

‘The Iyrmen really are normal,’ Adam thought. ‘In a crazy way.’

Once the story was told, and the meats and cheeses were finished, Jurot and Adam were allowed to retreat for the night.

“Citool,” Sonarot called.

“Do you wish for me to take care of Lanarot?” the woman replied.

“Yes, please. Turot as well. There is some business which needs to be dealt with.”

“That nephew of yours?” Citool asked, raising her brow.

“Yes,” Sonarot replied.

Citool nodded, taking Turot’s hand in her own. Turot pouted, having wanted to speak with the Demon Lord, but he followed Citool, who was like a second mother to him.

 


zV51IpY.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


She's safe and sound!

And Jurot didn't die?

What is going on?

FYI! Patreon is going to be 10 chapters ahead in about three hours after this chapter goes live! You can access it for as little as £1 this month only!

14