79. The Party
296 8 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ilyakan,” Jurot said. “Amokan’s cousin.”

“Damn,” Adam whispered. “How the hell are the Kans so damn attractive?” Adam then looked to Jurot, who was quite a specimen of a man too. “Why are most Iyrmen so damn pretty? It’s not fair.”

“You’re an elf,” Jurot replied, bluntly.

“Only half,” Adam said, brushing his hair back. “Jurot, introduce me.”

“Okay,” Jurot said, stepping towards the beautiful woman.

“Wait! I haven’t prepared myself yet,” Adam called out, but it was too late.

“Sister Ilyakan,” Jurot called, waving at her. 

The woman turned, smiling as she saw Jurot. “Brother Jurot,” she said, her voice almost raspy. “It’s been some time.”

“It has,” Jurot admitted. “Allow me to introduce you to my brother.” He turned, motioning to Adam, who was leaning back at the wall, a hand at his waist, the other holding his chin. Jurot stared at him.

Adam, suddenly feeling embarrassed, cleared his throat and walked over. “Hello there,” he said. “I’m Adam, son of Fate.”

“The Enchanter,” Ilyakan said, smiling as she slowly bowed her head.

“Oh? Have I enchanted you already?” Adam smiled a pained smile, regretting being born.

[Ew.]

‘Shut up.’

She stared at him, tilting her head slightly. “I am an Iyrman, I cannot be enchanted. I have heard you are able to enchant weapons.”

“Yes, I can. I do, rather,” Adam said, motioning to the white blade at his side. 

“I have heard that you are well skilled. You’ve recently made a powerful shield, and you have traded it for puthral plate mail.” She smiled.

“Oh? Has news travelled so far?” Adam asked. “That’s right. Elder Gold asked me to enchant a shield, and so I did.”

“I am learning to enchant as well,” Ilyakan admitted. “My skills are not as great as yours.”

“Oh?” Adam said, raising his brows in surprise. “You know magic?”

“I do,” she said. “I am a Priest.”

“A Priest, you say,” Adam said, his eyebrows raising in surprise. “We were looking for a Priest in our party.”

“I was going to leave with my cousin and Timojin,” she admitted.

“Ah, well that is a shame,” Adam said, sighing. “I would have loved the company.”

“I am sure you will find someone to join you since you are so skilled. There are many rumours running through the Iyr about the son of Fate.”

Adam smiled nervously. “What kind of rumours?”

“They say you met a dragon.”

“Ah,” Adam said, nodding his head. “Yes.”

“You have?”

“Yes, Entalia,” Adam said. “She’s a…” Adam wondered if she would be considered an old friend. “Actually, now that I think about it, she was meant to pass me something to enchant.”

Ilyakan stared at Adam, unsure if he was joking. She looked to Jurot, who nodded his head slowly. “You are very interesting,” she said. “I would love to hear your tale.”

“Well, I’m not sure I’m allowed to say it yet.” Adam smiled. “Once I’m stronger, I’m sure I’ll be able to say it without making the gods angry.”

She furrowed her brows, unsure of what he meant. 

“Anyway,” Adam said, clearing his throat. “I’m surprised that there are Priests in the Iyr, but I guess it makes sense.” He recalled seeing a few within the Iyr, though had though they were Guardians. “Which God do you follow?”

“Baktu,” she said. “Every Iyrman prays to Baktu, and some to Wahtu or Ritetu.”

“Is Ritetu Lady Elaveil?” Adam asked.

“Yes,” she replied.

“Ritetu isn’t so bad either, but I prefer Baktu and Wahtu personally too.”

She slowly nodded her head, not willing to say she didn’t believe him. 

“A shame. Do you know any Iyrmen who are heading out to adventure soon? I want to have a full squad of Iyrmen so I can sleep peacefully at night.”

Ilyakan smiled. “There is my cousin, Izyakan,” she said. One of the girls behind her, who was chewing a small dough ball, mumbled something as she ate. Ilyakan turned back and replied in their language, and it was then Adam wondered if he should have learnt their tongue.

“Where is she?”

“Let me guide you,” Ilyakan said, reaching down to hold the hands of the other girls, who stared up at Adam for a moment.

“Hello,” Adam said.

They stared at him suspiciously, hiding behind Ilyakan, before she led them around to try and find Izyakan. 

Izyakan was short, thin, and had a look of death about her. Her skin was pale, her hair as black as obsidian. She had a look of beauty about her, similar to that of her cousins, but the gloominess emanating from her overshadowed it. 

“You must be the son of Fate,” Izyakan said, her voice low.

“The very same,” Adam said. “Izyakan the Priest?” Adam asked.

“Yes,” she said, bowing her head. “I follow Baktu.”

“I’m a fan of Baktu too, actually. We were looking for a Priest to join us. Would you be willing?”

“I have heard you are able to enchant,” Izyakan said. “If you are willing to enchant my mace, I would be willing to fight by your side.”

“Sure,” Adam replied, nodding his head. “Well that was easy.”

“I will bring the materials required,” the woman said. “How much will you charge?”

“Nothing,” Adam said, smiling. “You should use your money to buy gems to revive Jurot and I.”

She narrowed her eyes.

Adam’s smile faded. “You… will revive us, won’t you?”

“I am a Priest of Baktu,” the woman said, shaking her head. “I will not deny our Lord his right.”

“Ah, well…” Adam sighed. “I’m afraid I can’t ask you to accompany us. Jurot and I can’t die unless we’re Diamond Rank and we die to a dragon.”

She stared at him, confused. ‘Diamond Rank?’ “I cannot join you then.”

“What a shame,” Adam said, rubbing the side of his neck. “Well, guess we need to find someone else.”

“You will follow such a plan?” Izyakan asked Jurot.

“Yes,” Jurot replied.

“I wish you luck,” she said, bowing her head. “Do not shame your family.”

Jurot bowed his head too, and the groups each said their goodbyes to one another. Jurot led Adam away, towards the rest of the food stalls, where he picked up some cheesy bread and some meat. 

“Is that alright?” Adam asked. “I didn’t really ask you about the whole reviving thing.”

“I will follow you, Adam,” Jurot said. “I am certain you will not shame me.”

Adam smiled. “What about Kitool and Jaygak? Do you think they’d join us?”

“Let us ask them,” Jurot said.

The pair eventually found the girls, who were eating pastries filled with meat, but those which were extremely spicy. Jaygak, being a devilkin, was enjoying herself deeply. Kitool was using it as a chance to assist in keeping her emotions in check.

“Yo,” Adam called out to the pair of them. He waited for Jurot to take a pastry first before he grabbed one, and then bit into it. His body had already warmed up from the previous fiery balls, so he didn’t mind this pastry too much.

“Are you enjoying yourself?” Jaygak asked, licking her lips as she finished her pastry. 

“The food is delicious,” Adam said, before glancing around to see a few Iyrmen playing various instruments, and children dancing near the band. The adults were relaxing and eating, whereas others were challenging their friends to eating the most spiciest food, or the most food.

“We have come to speak about your plans to adventure,” Jurot said. “Adam wishes for you to join us.”

“Oh?” Jaygak leaned in. “I knew you’d fall for my horns eventually!”

Adam laughed. “Perhaps I have? I was hoping to have a full squad of Iyrmen so I could sleep peacefully at night.”

“So you want us two to join?” Jaygak glanced at the pair of them. “Well, I don’t know if I’d be suitable. Kitool could join, she’s fast and sneaky, and extremely perceptive. I’m just you, but worse, and no magic.” Jaygak smiled, but Adam knew that the words cut deeper than her smile suggested.

“I would feel comfortable if the pair of you joined,” Adam admitted. “I won’t take away just Kitool, and I won’t take away just Jaygak, and I don’t necessarily want to pressure you either. I would just say that I really don’t want to die, and so I want to adventure with Iyrmen who are like me, and don’t want to die yet.”

“You do remember we’re Iyrmen, don’t you?” Jaygak said.

“Dying a great death is our dream,” Kitool said. 

“Yes, yes, I know that much,” Adam said. “I’m not that stupid. I just mean, I don’t want us to die any time soon. Once you’ve lived a great life, with children of your own, if you’re into that, or with plenty of stories under your belt. Then we can go out in a blaze of glory.”

“That doesn’t sound too bad,” Jaygak said, glancing to Kitool.

Kitool nodded her head. 

“We might have to find a Priest from outside the Iyr. What are the rules regarding bringing back Iyrmen? I don’t want you guys cutting into the poor soul who saves our lives.”

“An Iyrman may state a preference, but ultimately it is up to the Priest to revive whoever they wish,” Jaygak said.

“So if I revive you guys, you won't be mad at me?" Adam asked, wanting to confirm.

“You can revive people?” Jaygak asked.

“I will be able to one day, I think,” Adam said.

“I will not be angered,” Jurot said.

“Me neiher,” Jaygak said.

Kitool bowed her head. 

“Is that a yes, you will be angry, or yes, I won’t be.”

“I will not be angry. It is up to the Priest if they wish to revive us.”

"If you can heal and revive, why do we need a Priest?” Jaygak asked.

“I’d rather have a true Priest rather than someone like me,” Adam said, chuckling.

“It will be our fortune to battle alongside you,” Kitool said.

“Great! Let’s aim for Gold Rank together then!” Adam grinned wide. 

"Gold Rank won’t suit me,” Jaygak said. “Steel will be high enough for me.”

“I aim for Silver Rank,” Kitool said. “I do not believe I can reach Mithril.”

Adam blinked. “What?” He hadn’t heard of Iyrmen belittling themselves so earnestly. “Well, I mean, Jurot and I are aiming for Gold Rank, so you can just join us.”

“Is that true?” Jaygak asked. “You’re aiming for Gold Rank.”

Jurot nodded.

 "We will assist you for as long as we can." Kitool bowed her head. "Gold Rank is the dream for most Iyrmen. Many stop at Steel or Silver Rank, depending on their adventures.”

"Why?"

"There is sometimes a need for such people within the Iyr. Those of Steel and Silver Rank have different obligations to those of Mithril and Gold Rank. Steel and Silver afford certain freedoms and more than enough honour.”

“Some Iyrmen choose settle down young too, for the sake of their families,” Jaygak said. “Others are unlucky, or try to make a name for themselves alone.”

"Oh,” Adam said. “Cool. Well, if you want to be Gold Rank, I'll help. Anyway, since you'll be joining us, why don't I enchant your weapons? If you have the enchanting materials, I can enchant your weapons, or you can just owe me a favour."
 
"I cannot afford such a price,” Kitool admitted. “My family cannot spare the gold.”

"Same with mine,” Jaygak admitted. “I have my armour, and that's about it."

"Does your family have any enchanting materials?"

They glanced between one another before shaking their heads. 
 
"Well, I still have enough for two more weapons at least. Hand them over and I'll enchant them." 

"We cannot afford it," Kitool said.

"Can’t afford it? It’s free!” Adam grumbled. He felt awkward trying to force it on them, but this was about his life. 

"We’ve seen the enchantments you make, Adam,” Jaygak said. “We can’t afford something like that, even as favours.”

“Since when did you become so shy?” Adam asked, raising his brow to Jaygak. “Jaygak, Kitool, we’re friends. More importantly, this is a matter of my life. I'll enchant your weapons, and you'll each owe me two favours. How about that?"

The pair remained silent. Jaygak seemed to almost break, but Kitool threw her a look. 

"Come on! Why are you two being so distant? We’re going to be team mates, and you never know, I might grow horns and I’ll become a Gak or something.” Adam chuckled. “I’m going to be enchanting our Priest’s weapon too, so don’t worry too much for it.”

Jaygak looked to her friend, wondering what she was going to say. 

“If the favour shames my family, I will refuse it,” Kitool said.

"I won’t be asking for something like that, and if it does shame your family, I'll understand your refusal.” Adam smiled, though felt weird about pressuring them. ‘This is a matter of life and death, idiot.’

"Then allow me to thank you," Kitool said, bowing her head.

"Don't expect a great enchantment, but I will try my best.” Adam smiled wide, but his smile quickly dropped.

“What?” Jaygak asked, noting his face. 

Adam sighed. “Aunt Sonarot is going to be so mad…”

 


zV51IpY.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


I am over 20 chapters ahead on Patreon! I am still figuring out cool bonuses for those of you with big wallets.

 

11