84. Leaving Again
288 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Omen: 2, 9

“You didn’t make me a magical weapon,” Turot said, frowning as he stared up at Adam.

“Aren’t you too young to have a magical weapon?” Adam asked, petting his head.

“You gave cousin Lanarot a magical weapon!” Turot stomped his foot, his lower lip whimpering up at Adam.

‘Oh, right. I did do that, didn’t I?’ Adam glanced to the side. “That’s because I’m going to get you something really nice that you can use. Even though Lanarot has an axe, she can’t use it, right?”

“Right…”

“So that’s why, when I return, I’ll make sure to get you something really special, okay?” Adam rubbed his head.

“Okay.” Turot hugged Adam’s leg.

‘Damn it! Turot’s so adorable too!’ He rubbed Turot’s head. 

The other children all remained near their own siblings, saying their goodbyes. The various Iyrmen each promised to bring them back gifts.

“Adam,” Sonarot called, holding a bundle in her arms. She handed it over to the boy once he had come. “Here.”

“A blanket?” Adam said.

Sonarot smiled, rubbing his cheeks with her warm hands. “You must return safely.”

“I will,” Adam said. 

Sonarot then went to Jurot, hugging him tight before repeatedly kissing his forehead. “Look at my young handsome man. You will return to me safely too, won’t you?”

Jurot glanced aside, his lips twitching into a smile as she smothered him with affection. “Yes, mother. I will return with many gifts.”

“Don’t forget about the gifts for your little sister, okay?”

“Yes, mother,” Jurot said.

Lanarot, who had been fast asleep when they had prepared to leave, was brought by Citool, who had been looking after the baby during the night. 

“Good morning, sleepyhead,” Adam said, reaching out with his finger, which she grabbed. 

“Ooo,” Lanarot replied. 

“We’re going to be going soon,” Adam said, staring down into her dark eyes, which stared up to see him. She reached up to try and grab his face, but he was out of reach. “I’ll miss you so much. Don’t grow up too quick without us.” Adam could already feel how lethargic his body was becoming in order to not leave the little girl behind. “Don’t forget about me, okay?”

“Oo.” 

Jurot looked down at her once Adam was done saying his goodbyes. “Grow up strong and healthy. Do not worry mother.”

Adam glared at Jurot. 

“I will definitely return, so wait for me.” He leaned in to kiss the girl’s forehead, as his mother had done for him. 

Lanarot cooed up at him and grabbed his hair when it came into view. Sonarot tickled the girl’s hand and slowly unlatched her from her brother. Then she held the baby out to Adam.

Adam brought the baby to his chest, the girl jerking slightly as she saw the purple and silver before her, admiring the shiny beauty. Adam leaned down and rested his cheek against her forehead. ‘Light,’ Adam thought. She smelt of milk. Her hair was loose and thin, tickling the half elf’s cheek. Her forehead was extremely hot. He could even feel her rapid heart beat. “I promise to come back this time.” He kissed her forehead too, before quickly finding it awkward, and handing the girl back to her mother. 

Amokan smiled as Adam approached the group. “You promised to return.”

“I did,” Adam said.

Amokan stared at Adam long and hard, but he nodded his head. “If it’s you, I can believe it.”

Adam smirked. “Not even death will stop me from returning.”

Amokan raised his brows. “You should be careful challenging the gods.”

“The gods should be careful challenging me,” Adam said, before placing a hand on his shoulder. “That’s what it means to be Unrivalled Under the Heavens.”

Amokan wanted to refute the statement, but he was too busy admiring how manly Adam was.

Timojin laughed, slapping the pair against their backs. “Let us go!”

Lucy punched Adam’s arm, gently. “Hey, bring me something back too.”

Adam narrowed his eyes at her.

“Please.”

“Alright. Don’t start any trouble in the Iyr.”

“I’m not as stupid as you,” Lucy grumbled, but she grabbed his arm. “Hey, you two are my friends, so don’t die! We still need to save Mara.”

“I know,” Adam said. “Train hard, alright?”

“You don’t have to tell me!”

The group made their way out, heading towards the main gate of the Iyr. They weren’t the only Iyrmen leaving, there were also a few from other families, some from the main family, others from the branch family, each forming into groups. Some were leaving alone, others were leaving in pairs or trios. 

The beautiful Ilyakan had been met on the way, and once they had exchanged greetings, they went to be welcomed by the huge gates.

Hundreds of children all stood, waiting to see the Iyrmen off. Some from the families involved, and others who wanted to wish their fellow Iyrmen good luck. 

Turot and the others had followed, wanting to say goodbye at the gate too. Seeing the gate open was always fun for them, but they also understood that this may be the last time they see some of them. 

There were a little over a dozen Iyrmen all leaving, but they were the only ones stepping out of the Iyr. Each group of Iyrmen leaving had an escort with them, most of them human.

“I’ll be in charge of escorting you,” Wujyn said, grinning down towards the four, who were also the largest group heading out.

“So what’s Okvar doing here?” Adam asked, clasping the woman’s forearm.

“I will be escorting the Kans and Jin,” Okvar said, also greeting Adam and Jurot. 

Besides them were some familiar faces. It seemed that Rokat was coming along with Adam’s group, and Sowir, the other Silver Rank who had come along with them to find the Blue Moon Rose, was going with Okvar. Jaknuu was also in Adam’s group, whereas Galooj was going with Okvar. 

“To think I’d see you again too,” Adam said, greeting Dargon. 

“You can’t get rid of me so easily,” Dargon said, clasping Adam’s forearm.

Adam gave a nod to Eshva and Kendal, who apparently were also joining their team. Argon and Tazwyn were with Amokan and Timojin. “I feel like someone had a hand in forming our groups.”

“You’d be right,” Elder Gold said. 

Adam hadn’t noticed her until she was right beside him. “Elder Gold,” he said, bowing his head. “I definitely didn’t expect you.”

“I thought it was a good opportunity to stretch my legs,” Elder Gold said.

“Is that all?”

“No,” she said, smiling down at him, “though you shouldn’t delve deeper.”

Adam sighed. “To think you still can’t trust me. I’m hurt.”

Elder Gold smiled, which caused Adam’s heart to pound a little quicker, thinking that it was a bad omen. 

Someone poked Adam’s leg, causing him to jerk away for a moment before he stared down to see Taygak. 

“You,” she said. 

“Me?” Adam asked.

She inhaled deeply before exhaling calmly. “You.”

“Me?”

“Help Jaygak,” she said.

“Right?”

“Yes?”

“I’ll help her.”

“Help Kitool.”

“Okay, I will.”

Taygak stared up at him, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at him. Then she turned and left, heading back to Turot and the others. 

“I told you my cousin is the cutest,” Jaygak said, turning to Kitool.

“My sister is the most adorable of all,” she replied.

Jurot remained silent.

“Obviously it’s our Lanarot,” Adam said.

Jurot remained silent.

‘Come on, Jurot. Back me up.’

“Shall we leave?” Wujyn asked. ‘At least they are keeping it together.’

With that the gates of the Iyr were pushed open, and soon the various groups were making their way out.

Wujyn, Rokat, Dargon, Eshva, and Kendal led the group out.  

“Come home safely!” shouted the children repeatedly. 

Adam threw a glance back to see Turot and the others waving at the two groups specifically. Turot caught his eyes, shouting louder as he waved. Adam nodded back, before noting Katool and Raygak waving and crying as they said goodbye to their sisters. He then caught Taygak’s eyes, which were piercing him. He quickly looked away.

The gates behind them shut, but they could still hear the voice. The groups continued forward, long after their voices disappeared, though they were no doubt still shouting after them.

Adam stopped. 

Wujyn and the others stopped too, turning to face him.

Adam threw his head back, inhaling deeply as the sun beat down across his face through his helmet. He wanted to shout, but he clenched his fists together hard, before relaxing them. 

In this life he wanted no regrets. He wanted to stay behind, to watch his little sister grow, to not leave her side as he had done in his last life. He just wanted her to grow up happy and healthy.  

Yet, there were still things to be done. 

There were two damsels in distress, a young baby who was cursed, hunted by a dragon, and another who was fast asleep, with her brother missing.

He exhaled. “Sorry,” he said, before stepping forward.

They arrived at Front Iyr by late afternoon, where there were plenty of Iyrmen all about waiting for them. A large feast had been put together, with Iyrmen sharing wine between one another.

Amokan and Timojin fought one another for entertainment, but Adam didn’t pay too much attention. Instead, he sat on the top of a building, drinking and eating in peace. Amokan fought wildly, and Timojin’s methodical approach had won out. 

“Why are you all alone?” Elder Gold asked, standing beside him.

“Is it a habit of yours to sneak up on unsuspecting young half elf men?” Adam asked, glancing up towards her.

“No, but I could make it into a habit if they’re all as charming as you.”

Adam coughed, having not expected the Great Elder to flirt with him. “What do you need?”

“When you fought that day, you said plenty of outrageous things.”

“I did.”

Elder Gold smiled. However, instead of asking the more important question, she couldn’t help it. “Why didn’t you use Thunderwave?”

Adam smiled. “I got into so much trouble for taking it and adding it to my spellbook. Could you imagine the trouble I’d get if I used it against a pair of Iyrmen?”

Elder Gold remained standing beside him, looking over the flames as they flickered from the fire pit. “You are far more dangerous than I expected.”

“Yeah,” Adam said. 

“I hope you return safely.”

Omen: 3, 7

The group continued to the village where Chief Merl waited for them at the gates, noting the large influx of Iyrmen. Her eyes fell on some familiar forms, and she quickly rushed up to the two groups. 

“Oh my, I didn’t expect you all,” she said, holding Argon’s hands first, before then moving to Dargon. “Are you alright? I heard what they did to you.”

“I am fine,” Dargon replied. “I am sorry for worrying you.”

“I didn’t expect to see you,” she said, noting Jurot, before seeing the large man in puthral. “We missed each other the last few times, but I’m glad to see you’re well.”

Jurot bowed his head. “Thank you for your worry, Chief.”

“Who is this?” she asked, staring at the huge man with the puthral armour. “He’s no Iyrman if he’s still wearing his helmet.”

“It’s me,” Adam said, taking off his helmet, revealing his half elf face. 

She raised her brows in alarm first, then surprise, then recognition. “Oh! The young man who helped us back then!” 

“Adam, son of Fate,” he said. “An old friend of mine came to help your village first, but then, you know who came.”

“Balrog,” Jurot said, smiling.

“I remember, I remember,” the Chief said, smiling up at Adam. “I’m glad to see you’re well.”

Adam hadn’t expected her to be so warm. “It’s good to see you’re well too.”

“Come, let me introduce you to someone,” she said, taking Adam’s hand in hers.

Adam, oblivious to her intentions, let her lead him away, only to remember what was happening. “Oh, wait, I-“ However, before he could finish his words, he stared up to see an extremely beautiful young woman. She was short and wore fairly typical clothing for villagers, save for her fur belt. At her back was a spear. She had dark hair and dark eyes, almost like an Iyrman. 

“Merl, this was the young man I was talking to you about. Do you remember? The elf and Balrog.” the Chief said.

“The stranger who came with the Iyrmen,” Merl said in a firm, but low voice. She held out her hand. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

“Yeah,” Adam said, stupidly, taking her hand in his and gently shaking it. “I’m Adam. Son of Fate. Like, the god, but above the gods, you know?”

She smiled awkwardly, with the same polite smile most women gave to guys saying weird things. “Right, well, I should get back to work.”

“Right, uh, yeah,” Adam said, quickly turning and walking away.

“What’s wrong?” Jurot asked, seeing Adam sitting with his head in his hands.

“Jurot, I’m so god damn cringe,” Adam said. “I want to go back to the Iyr.”

Jurot had seen the encounter between Adam and Merl, whose beauty was unmatched in the entire village. ‘Cringe,’ he said, correctly putting together the definition. He recalled when Adam met Ilyakan and he was doing… whatever it was he was doing. ‘Cringe.’

 


YoFXuQV.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


How the hell is there another hottie?

Extra chapter today? Yes. I have a Gold Rank Patron so I thought I should be nice.

12