95. First Duel
295 12 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Battle Order
D20 + 1 = 21 (20)

Warrior Spirit: 3 -> 2

Attack
D20 + 7 = 27 (20)
D20 + 7 = 25 (18)
Critical hit!
1D6 + 2D6 + 6 = (3, 5)(5, 5, 6, 6)
36 damage!

Adam, with his blade gripped tightly in both hands, charged forward. The Adventurer before him, with his own blade clutched tightly with both hands, charged forward full of rage too.

Lightsear cut through the blade, cutting it in half, before cutting into the chain mail, nearly cutting through the man’s arm. Had he wished, Adam could have disarmed him, of blade and bone, but he pulled back just in time. The young man stared at his arm, which was barely hanging on, and fell, his eyes rolled back into his skull, his mouth foaming. 

‘What should I say to make this sound cool?’ Adam thought as he sheathed his blade. 

Paul sighed as the Adventurer’s party panicked, and their Priest, the woman who had kept him at bay, quickly dropped beside him and prayed, filling him with her healing magic. 

Adam walked towards the Guild.

“Don’t you want your gold?” Paul asked, having wondered how he’d deal with the bet.

“He isn’t worth it,” Adam replied, simply.

When the others returned, he didn’t mention the fight. Instead, he noted how many Boars they had slain, including the Great Boar. 

“Nice,” he said, nodding his head. 

“How did it go with you?” Dunes asked.

“Pretty good,” Adam said, smiling. He had Levelled Up and had fought in duel. 

Dunes noted Adam’s smirk, but left it at that.

Omen: 6, 19

“Why didn’t you tell us that you had a fight last night?” Jaygak asked, staring at him with squinted eyes.

“It would have brought shame to my family,” Adam said.

“Didn’t you win?”

“Yes.”

Jaygak stared at him long and hard, but seeing as he didn’t want to talk about it, left it at that.

Kitool gave her a look, and the pair looked to Jurot, wondering if he’d ask the question on their minds. 

Jurot continued to eat his boar stew in peace. 

Adam went back to work, making his potions.

Mana: 10 -> 8
Alchemy Check
D20 + 3 = 6 (3)
Omen: 6, 19 -> 6
19 + 3 = 22

There was a man, adorned in breast plate, with a Rukh in flight stylised on the front. At his back was a blade, black, yet sprinkled with bits of colour like the night sky. He stared down at the darkness ahead, seeing through it, as though he were an elf, yet his sight was even greater. He could sense a trail from three beings ahead of him, and he sighed. He stepped forward to meet them, unsure of why his sister had sent him here. He barely managed to catch the blade of the tall woman, even as she limped, she caused him to skid backwards. The woman recognised him, but she did not stay her blade. 

1 Enhanced Healing Potion Created.
XP: 370 -> 420

Wisdom Save
D20 + 3 = 17 (14)

Adam resisted the joke, and continued working on making his Healing Potions. 

Mana: 8 -> 6
Alchemy Check
D20 + 3 = 5 (2)

1 Minor Healing Potion Created.
XP: 420 -> 430

Mana: 6 -> 4
Alchemy Check
D20 + 3 = 17 (14)

1 Enhanced Healing Potion Created.
XP: 420 -> 570

Jurot and the rest had returned, with a bounty of Boars. 

“How was it?” Adam asked.

“Okay,” Jurot replied. 

“We slew a few Boars but there was nothing else,” Jaygak said.

The Boar was cooked into a stew for them all, and there was the usual platter of fruits and vegetables for them too. There was plenty of bread to dip, which Dunes still cut into slices before dipping into his food. 

There was also some fried Boar on offer, which Adam happily accepted, saving it for the end, like a dessert. Thinking of dessert, he kept an apple, which he then flavoured into a red velvet cake. ‘Nice. Magic is the best!’

Omen: 7, 16

The others had left for work again, and Adam spent his day making potions again.

“Boring,” he muttered to himself. He sighed, staring at the ingredients in front of him. “Still…” He thought back to seeing Kitool go down, and how Jurot had fallen recently too. In order to secure the future, he needed to work hard in the present. “Boring!” He growled finally before rolling up his sleeves and getting to work.

Mana: 10 -> 8
Alchemy Check
D20 + 3 = 13 (10)

1 Basic Healing Potion Created.
XP: 570 -> 670

Mana: 8 -> 6
Alchemy Check
D20 + 3 = 10 (7)

1 Basic Healing Potion Created.
XP: 670 -> 770

Mana: 6 -> 4
Alchemy Check
D20 + 3 = 20 (17)

1 Enhanced Healing Potion Created.
XP: 770 -> 920

Intelligence Save
D20 + 5 = 16 (11)
Omen: 7, 16 -> 7
16 + 5 = 21

Health: 52 -> 26

The stranger remained on top of the woman, feeling a rock pin his leg to the ground. He could feel her weakened breathing, each breath weaker than the last. He growled, crying out for the strange god’s name. He did not know how he knew the name, for he only knew four names, and none were his own. As he cried out the name, the rock shifted, and he looked up to the dark sky above, seeing a figure. Above him was a man, with greyish green skin, and tusks jutting from the corner of his lips. He used the familiar axe to dig the man out, and saved the pair. At his side was a shield, painted white, with a large dark circle painted in the middle, and dark diamonds around it. 

The heat filled his mind, and Adam dropped to his knees, coughing as blood poured from his nose. He wiped it against his clothing, coughing again, his mind buzzing. He cleaned himself the best he could, and stumbled down the stairs, sitting opposite the others. 

Jurot stared at him as he righted himself and sat down with the rest of the group. “Are you okay?”

“Fine,” Adam said. “Just had a little bit of a thing.” 

The four stared at him, and Kitool noted his paleness, as well as some fresh blood around his nostrils. “Dunes, can you heal him?”

Dunes shook his head. “I’m all out today, I’m afraid. How did you get so hurt? Did that man do something?”

Adam blinked, shaking his head. “Excuse me? You think that prick could hurt me?” 

Tough Spirit: 1 -> 0
2D6 + 4 = 11 (1, 6)
Health: 26 -> 37

He flexed his muscles and shook his head, trying to calm the buzzing in his mind. “I’m fine, see?”

“You should rest,” Dunes said. “You’re too reckless.”

Adam smiled, though noted the seriousness all around the table. He caught Jurot’s eyes, which were stern, though he did not speak up. “I know my limits. Tomorrow is the last day.”

Omen: 9, 19

Mana: 10 -> 7
Alchemy Check
D20 + 3 = 17 (14)

1 Enhanced Healing Potion Created.
XP: 920 -> 1070

Mana: 7 -> 4
Alchemy Check
D20 + 3 = 18 (15)

1 Enhanced Healing Potion Created.
XP: 1070 -> 1220

Intelligence Save
D20 + 5 = 10 (5)
Omen: 9, 19 -> 9
19 + 5 = 24

Health: 52 -> 40

The stranger embraced the woman, her head against his chest. Their fingers were intertwined, and her breath tickled his chest. He leaned in to kiss her forehead, smiling, having not yet realised that soon she would become sick every morning. 

Adam again dropped to his knees, feeling the blood pour out of his nose again. He shook his head, and wiped his nose clean of the blood, the buzzing pounding in his mind.  

“God damn it!” Adam gasped for air.

Tough Spirit: 1 -> 0
2D6 + 4 = 13 (4, 5)
Health: 40 -> 52

He exhaled, and shrugged his shoulders, before heading down to meet the rest of Fate’s Golden, seeing the large scar across Dune’s face. “Whoa, what happened to you?”

“We found two Elder Forest Wolves,” Dune said.

“They found us,” Jaygak corrected. 

“Right.” Dunes nodded. “Nobby almost died.”

Adam blinked. “Is he okay?”

“He’s fine,” Dunes said. “What about you?”

“I’m fine,” Adam replied. “I’m done with all that, and you’ll be glad for it too. I’ll hand everything over tomorrow.” Adam smiled.

“Since you’re leaving tomorrow, how will the Party Fund be handled?” Dunes asked. “We have been putting in a lot of coin while you were working.”

“Right, right,” Adam said, nodding his head. “We’ll split it in half. Jurot and I will take one half, you will take the second half.”

Dunes nodded. Half was actually quite generous considering that the two were much more powerful and were most of the reason they were able to complete the various Quests. 

“I’ll hand Kitool the Party Fund,” Adam said. “It’s not that I don’t trust either of you.” He glanced between Jaygak and Dunes. “No, nevermind, it’s definitely because I trust her more than you.” He smirked. 

Jaygak narrowed her eyes. “Your jokes aren’t funny.”

“I know,” Adam said, smiling wider. “That’s why I find them so funny!”

“Are you busy?” Braun asked, approaching them. “We need to talk.”

“What did I do this time?” Adam asked, frowning. 

“It’s for Fate’s Golden.”

“Oh.”

They were led to another room, somewhere private, away from prying eyes and keen ears. “Vice Master Paul has spoken with Sir Harvey, and your entire party is wanted for the expedition.”

“Sweet,” Adam said, smiling. “Saves me from splitting the Party Fund in half.”

“The pay will be fifty gold upfront, five gold to each of you per day, and fifty gold upon completion. Sir Harvey also wishes to head further north.” Braun gave a knowing glance to Adam, who smirked.

“Sounds good,” the Half Elf said. “What do you guys think?”

“I haven’t been to the north yet,” Dunes admitted. 

Jaygak cracked a smile, unable to contain it. “The north will be fun.”

“Sounds like it’ll be more dangerous,” Adam said, shaking his head, a small smile on his face.

“Yes,” Kitool said. “It can be.”

“Alright, well, let’s have a meeting and discuss things?” Adam asked. “We’ll be leaving first thing in the morning, I assume?”

“Yes,” Braun said, leaving them be.

“We should all prepare,” Adam said. “I have a bunch of potions for everyone, so we’ll split those between us.”

“How many potions?” Dunes asked. 

Adam smiled, handing them each the various potions, including the Enhanced Healing Potions he made. 

“You made these?” Dunes asked. 

Adam nodded. “Yep. Why do you think I was bleeding everywhere?”

“Aren’t these… Enhanced Healing Potions?” Dunes asked.

“Yes,” Adam said.

Jaygak placed a hand on Dunes’ shoulder. “You will get used to it.”

Dunes blinked. ‘Is it an Iyrman thing? An Elvish thing?’

Adam continued to smile. “Alright, well, since we don’t need anything, I’ll swap out some gold for some gems so I don’t have to carry this huge pouch with us. Otherwise, good night, have a good rest, and I’ll see you in the morning.”

Adam relaxed on his bed at the end of the day, feeling a slight headache. ‘Hey Bell, I’m not dying am I?’

[You’re always dying.]

‘You know what I mean.’

[I cannot answer that question.]

‘Tch.’ Adam rolled his eyes. ‘You know, now that I think about it, I didn’t get any Experience from beating that punk.’

[He wasn’t worth it.]

Adam smiled. ‘Damn right.’ He closed his eyes. ‘Though it does sound like a cop out.’

[You aren’t dying.]

‘Thank you.’

Adam continued to relax in bed. ‘Now that I think about it, I’ve had a duel before with some guy that didn’t like me. Anton? Alton! Good ol’ Alton. I wonder where he’s at.’

 


YoFXuQV.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


Well, that was quick...

10