101. Blood and Alchemy
292 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Omen: 9, 9 

Adam awoke in the morning, still feeling some of the ache of the travel. He first checked around for the Servant, before slipping away into the bath. He sighed happily, feeling the warmth fill his ache.

It was civilization which allowed him to partake in the greatest of relief, a nice, hot bath. There wasn’t any bath bombs, and there were very few modern comforts. There was no internet, which was perhaps the luxury he missed most of the modern day. 

‘No cars. No internet. No mobiles, either.’ He sighed. If mobile phones existed, it would have been easy to keep up with Sonarot and Lanarot. He recalled how many times his mother would send him pictures of a cousin’s baby, it was pretty much how he received any news about his extended family. 

‘I should make that,’ Adam thought. “Mobile phones would be so useful. Being able to message whoever I want, whenever I want. If something goes wrong, I could just call someone in the Iyr to come and pick me up.’ Adam smiled. ‘A map app would be useful too.’ 

He wondered if there were any others like him in other worlds, and if they were able to keep some of their modern conveniences. ‘Bastards.’

Once he was done with his hot bath, scanning around to make sure there wasn’t a sneaky Servant about, he fixed himself up and made his way for breakfast. Breakfast was a splendid affair, with the two Sirs and the Priest engorging themselves on a myriad of strange food, some Adam had never quite seen before. 

Adam kept breakfast simple, with some meat, a little bit of bread, and far too much cheese. “So what’s the plan?” Adam asked. “We were meant to be heading up for some herbs, but now we’re spending a few days here. Are we meant to stick by you?” Adam asked Sir Harvey.

Sir Harvey, who was mostly finished with his breakfast, cutting into some fruit with cream, paused to think. He definitely didn’t want Adam around him, not after hearing the blasphemous words slip from his lips. Yet, he also knew that Adam had a peculiar set of skills. 

“I may need some assistance in my work,” Sir Harvey said. “The Countess’ High Alchemist is returning soon, but she requires more immediate assistance. There are a few Alchemists around, but someone who is familiar with foreign herbs may be of great assistance too.”

“Foreign?” Adam blurted out, his eyes wide. “I’ll have you find that I am a…” Adam paused to think. ‘Oh, that’s right. I am a foreigner, aren’t I?’ He glanced to the side, shuddering slightly. ‘At least that’s one thing I miss about home. We treat foreigners quite…’

“Adam?” Sir Harvey called, having seen Adam wince at his thoughts.

“Oh, right. I’d be willing to assist you, for the right price.” Adam smirked. After all, this was outside of the scope of the formal request, and though Adam was brought along for his potential skills in Alchemy, he wasn’t required to assist. Seeing that the High Alchemist could live the life in another town, he didn’t feel too bad earning more of the man’s coin. 

Sir Harvey slowly nodded his head. “For your assistance in this matter, fifty gold would be rewarded to you.”

Adam whistled, throwing a look to Paul to see how he was feeling about Adam negotiating with the High Alchemist, but he was currently focused on his wife, who was very slowly cutting into her dessert, and enjoying it a tiny morsel at a time. ‘How dare you keep flirting in front of us.’

With breakfast done, Adam quickly formed a meeting with Fate’s Golden. “Enjoying yourself, Dunes?” Adam asked.

“Yes,” the man replied, flashing a smile. “There are many perks to being a Priest, even in a foreign country.”

“Oh, right. You’re a foreigner too, aren’t you?” Adam chuckled. “Though I guess you’re from money, so it doesn’t count.” Adam rolled his eyes before addressing his entire party. “Anyway, what are your plans?” 

“We will buy some souvenirs to send back home,” Jurot said.

“Oh,” Adam replied. “That’s a good idea. What kind of souvenirs?”

“Wood,” Jurot said, a little too quickly. “Fur, cloth, weapons.”

“Deadwood has much which is similar with Red Oak, but there are a few differences,” Kitool said. “We may be able to procure similar types of items, but they will be unique to Deadwood.”

Adam nodded. “Would you mind buying some on my behalf too? I don’t know if I’ll have the time to buy some. Kitool, I’ll leave the Party Fund with you.”

“You want us to use the Party Fund to buy souvenirs?” Dunes asked.

“While you’re shopping, you might find something which might benefit the party, so you can use the Party Fund to buy it. You might find that someone’s selling a spell scroll that is useful, or a different kind of potion.”

Dunes nodded. “Right, that makes sense.”

“Half the time I make sense all the time,” Adam said, smiling. 

Adam dropped an Onyx gem into the Party Fund, so they could use it to buy a few souvenirs guilt free. 

“You’re wearing your armour?” Sir Harvey asked.

“Yeah,” Adam said.

Sir Harvey stared at him. “If you aren’t planning anything untoward, you should take your armour off.”

Adam stared at the High Alchemist. “Oh, that’s a good point.” Adam stripped out of his plate mail quickly. He wasn’t sure why he put it on, but stepping outside the estate without his armour, he felt naked. He had decided to forgo his weapons and shield, but kept his die within his pocket. He wasn’t stupid enough to walk around town as a Half Elf without something, even if it was in the company of a Countess.

Adam stepped out the carriage, only to find a pair of Guards draw their weapons and point them at him. He raised his hands, blinking. “Good morning.”

“An Elf?” a Guard asked, staring at Sir Harvey.

“He is an Alchemist, and he may prove useful to the Countess,” Sir Harvey said. 

“You have brought an Elf to the Countess’ manor?” The Guard stared at Sir Harvey.

“Hey,” Adam said. “I’m only half an Elf.”

“Quiet!” the Guard snarled. “As much as we respect you, Sir Harvey, this is too much.”

“Then he shall return to the estate,” Sir Harvey said, diplomatically. 

“We can’t have an Elf stay within the estate,” the Guard said. “He’ll have to settle in an inn.”

“If that is more preferable,” Sir Harvey said.

Adam narrowed his eyes at Sir Harvey and then the Guard. “Very well,” he said. “If the Countess of Deadwood doesn’t want my help, she shan’t receive it. I believe that my lodgings are your responsibility, Sir Harvey.”

Sir Harvey sighed, nodding his head. “I will deal with it.”

A letter was written, informing the Servants of the estate about the situation. 

Adam recalled all the items he had left in his pack. He probably should have left most of the items back at the Guild, considering a Servant had probably already rifled through his items, and probably had seen his scrolls and spellbook. ‘I should be more careful about that sort of thing…’

“You may remain here as we bring you your things,” the Guard said.

“Excuse me? If anyone touches me things, I’ll start acting up.” Adam warned, staring at Sir Harvey with his brows raised. “I’ve brought along a few things with me on this journey, including some sentimental items of value, and other things which are fragile. I will go and get my things and then I’ll head to an inn.”

“You would dare to suggest we, the Countess’ Guards, would dare damage your items?”

“Damage them, steal them, probably,” Adam said.

The Guards glanced between one another. ‘Did he just say that?’

“I came here because the High Alchemist asked me to,” Adam said. “I stepped out of the carriage and I had two spears pointed at me, and now you think I’m going to trust you with my stuff?” Adam blinked at them. “I can understand why Sir Harvey and I are the Alchemists, and you guys are the Guards.”

“How dare you,” the Guard growled, stepping forward.

“Take another step and I’ll cast Thunderwave,” Adam warned.

The Guard stopped, gripping his spear tight in hand. His eyes fell to Sir Harvey. “He’s a mage?”

Sir Harvey narrowed his eyes at the Half Elf, before slowly nodding his head. “I believe he may be.”

“To bring an Elf mage to the Countes-“

“Haven’t you shamed me enough?” the High Alchemist asked. “I have word from a great authority that this Half Elf is decent enough. I understand if you do not trust the Adventurer’s Guild within this town, but in Red Oak, the Adventurer’s Guild has always treated us kindly. If you have an issue with the Half Elf, I will personally call for Vice Master Paul and you may take it up with him.”

The Guard, having not expected the High Alchemist to snap, merely bowed his head. “Very well,” he said, before stepping back. “I apologise for speaking out of place, High Alchemist.”

“You were merely doing your job,” the High Alchemist said. “Now, will you leave me to do mine? You may escort the Half Elf back to the estate, where he will take his items personally. You may keep an eye on him as he does so in order to reduce the chance of poor behaviour.”

“I think you’ll find I’m middle class now,” Adam said, chuckling lightly, but he noted the Guards glaring at him. “You guys suck.”

Adam was escorted by four Guards, each adorned in chain, with spears in hand. He had assumed they wouldn’t start trouble after the High Alchemist’s warning, but he also decided against antagonising them. 

‘What do you think? Could I take them?’

[If it is your Fate.]

‘You’re not helpful at all.’

Adam packed his stuff, seeing Jurot and the others, who had worked out lightly in the air and had freshened up afterwards.

“What is the matter?” Jurot asked. 

“They-“ Adam had slowed to speak with Jurot, but a Guard pushed him forward. 

“Move along, Elf,” the Guard said.

Adam stopped, turning back to glare at the Guard. He had reached into his pocket, which caused the Guards to point their spears at him, though he was still ready to fight. Adam froze, noting the rest of Fate’s Golden.

Jurot had reached for his axe, and on his lead, the other two had reached for their own weapons. Dunes glanced between the two groups, unsure of what he should do. 

Adam sighed, slowly pulling his hand away from his robe. There was no need to escalate this any further, especially considering that Jurot and the others may get into trouble too. 

 “Jurot, would you mind coming with me? You saw how eager they were to put their hands on me.”

“Yes,” Jurot said, nodding his head, though kept his hand on his axe as the spears were still pointed at Adam.

The Guards took pause for a moment, throwing looks towards the young Iyrmen. They may have been young, but they were still Iyrmen, and they doubted that the Iyrmen were going to fight alongside them. They pulled their spears back, allowing Adam and Jurot to move onward. 

“What is the matter?” Jurot asked. 

“I’ve got some Elf blood in me and they don’t like that,” Adam said.

Jurot nodded his head slowly. “You are to leave?”

“I have to stay at an inn,” Adam said. “They’re paying for it though.”

Jurot threw a look towards the Guards. “I will also stay at the inn.”

Adam raised his brow. “Why?”

“They dared to attack you in front of me. If you are within the inn, will they attack you again?”

“Careful, Iyrman.”

“I do not have to be careful,” Jurot said. “You do.”

The Guard remained staring at Jurot for a long moment. He could certainly deal with the Iyrman and the Elf, but he decided against it. There wasn’t a point to start a bother with the Iyrmen for an Elf.

“You’re leaving?” Jaygak asked, staring at the pair of them once Adam had grabbed his stuff.

“We are to leave,” Jurot said. 

“Why?”

Jurot switched to their tongue. “There is a bother about Adam’s blood.”

Jaygak narrowed her eyes towards the Guards. “And of mine?”

Jurot shook his head. 

Jaygak glanced at the Guards suspiciously, glaring at them, but she did not say anything. 

“Let us pack,” Kitool said.

“No,” Adam said. “You guys stay here and eat your fill. Make sure you enjoy yourself on the Countess’ dime.” Adam smiled wide. “Come on, Jurot. We’ll enjoy ourselves on the High Alchemist’s dime.” 

When they had situated themselves in an inn, renting a larger room for the pair of them on Jurot’s assistance, Adam sighed, dropping onto the bed. “I’m sorry for getting you involved, Jurot.”

“It is no matter,” Jurot said. “You are a brother of mine.”

Adam smiled. 

 


YoFXuQV.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


Deadwood is going to be Gonewood now that they've earned Adam's ire...

14