111. Cold Summer Day
288 8 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Omen: 4, 9

“No wonder it’s going to take so long,” Adam said, trekking with the rest of the group, wiping his brow from the thick sweat which had gathered.

They had followed the road up to Jaghi for a little over a day before they veered eastward, keeping the forest to their right. Sir Harvey stopped often, finding all manner of plants and herbs, as well as checking the health of the plants nearby. 

“It is part of our role,” Jurot said, simply. After all, they were to escort the High Alchemist, but it wasn’t just Goldarb he was looking for, he seemed to have other tasks at hand, which he did not share with the rest of the party.

They had come across a few beasts when they trekked through the forest, and even when they followed the plains, but none dared to get close.

“I thought it was going to be dangerous,” the Half Elf said.

Jurot nodded. “In a few days times, it will be.”

“What will be waiting for us?”

It was upon his words that a large number of beasts appeared ahead of them, running across their path. They were rushing northwards, towards the group’s left, bounding away as they cried and shrieked. There were all manner of beasts, from elks to bears, even wolves, all seemingly appearing at the same time.

“What’s up with them?” Adam asked.

“I do not know,” Jurot admitted, before looking towards Aizaban and Lanban. 

The older Iyrmen stared at the beasts for some time, narrowing their eyes as they fell into thought.

“They’re spooked,” Adam said. 

Something pinged in the back of his mind and he quickly shot his gaze upward. “Eyes to the sky!”

Perception Check
D20 + 3 = 5 (2)

The sun, which had beat down on the group, causing them to take more frequent breaks, blinded the Half Elf. 

“Adam,” Jurot said, patting the Half Elf’s arm, “Dragon.”

“Dragon?” Adam asked. “Is it a White Dragon?”

“Yes,” he said.

Adam’s heart began to pound wildly. ‘It has to be them. I knew it. I… I…’

Aizaban and Lanban glanced between one another, and Paul stood between them, his brow covered in sweat. 

‘Seriously! It was true?’

They all had thought the same thing, but the tone in Paul’s mind was different than the Iyrmen’s.

Their eyes fell to the Half Elf, who was standing still, frozen, deep in thought.

‘A White Dragon? Those guys are probably facing it right now, but I can’t just bring along Dunes and the others, they would die.’

“A White Dragon?” Sir Harvey said. “We should leave. A White Dragon isn’t something that we can-“

“Lanban!” Adam shouted, calling for the Iyrman’s attention. “Lead the way! You guys stay here and protect the High Alchemist!”

Lanban grinned wide. “I shall lead the way!”

Adam’s eyes fell to Aizaban and Paul for a moment, nodding towards the pair. “Let’s go.”

The four darted away from the group, only to be followed by another, the other Half Elf who had been following along. 

Lanban led them forward, towards the forest, which was near silent. His Iyrman ears twitched, hearing the distant sounds of battle, which only enticed him near. ‘A White Dragon!’ 

Aizaban was following behind in her heavy plate mail, having donned her shield, which was painted with the symbol of Wahtu, which was flashing hot. It spurred her steps, though her feet were aching from the journey. ‘A White Dragon!’

‘A White Dragon!’ Paul thought, cursing the world. ‘I can’t believe it!’ He remained near his wife, who would probably be targeted first due to the fact she was a Priest. 

A roar filled the air as they burst onto the scene, seeing a group of four exhausted Adventurers in battle with a large, terrible, yet magnificent, Dragon. None would dare call the creature a beast.

Terrifyingly large, with white scales, some which had been marked by the magic of the Gods, flaking away from her body. Her wings beat with such force, that it was hard for even the Dwarf beside her to keep his place as he swung about his warhammer, trying to strike her down. 

The woman beside the Dwarf, adorned in her breastplate, held her blade and shield, trying to defend herself, though her shoulder had been wounded not long ago. 

There was an Archer, shooting at the creature, but her arrows bounced off, but the magic of the Wizard struck true, missiles of magic striking against those powerful scales.

Battle Order
D20 + 1 = 15 (14)

“Aizaban!” Adam shouted, catching the woman’s attention. She had almost charged forward to meet the Dragon in battle. “Get to the Wizard in the back and defend him! Your number one priority is to make sure he doesn’t die!”

The Iyrman turned on her heel, and bolted towards the Wizard, who noted the appearance of the newcomers onto the scene. 

“Paul! Lanban! Subdue the dragon! No, kill it if you can!” Adam’s heart pounded wildly as the two beside him charged forward.

“I have come to slay you!” Lanban roared, his maul in hand.

‘Next time I’m saying no!’ Paul thought, his eyes flashing towards the Archer. ‘Wait, isn’t this…’ 

Wisdom Save
D20 + 1 = 18 (17)

‘What the hell am I doing here?’ Adam thought as the trio moved, eagerly charging forward into the fray. ‘I can’t just go and face a huge fuck off Dragon like her. Shit! Shit!’ 

His body shook as the fear took root within his mind, but he clenched his fists tight, thinking about what he had to do. 

‘No!’

Adam inhaled deeply. 

“Vandra! Come here, you fucking bitch! I’ll make you into a necklace!” Adam roared as he rushed forward.

Jonn had been behind the Half Elf, wielding his spear tightly within his hand. ‘This guy’s crazy! He’s crazy!’

Mana: 8 -> 7
Spell: Bless

Adam, clutching his die tightly in hand, raised his sword. “You’re going to make the best necklace!” he declared, filling himself and the two charging Silver Rank Adventurers with his Divine Magic, trusting that Aizaban would be fine.

“Fresh meat?” Vandra said in her tongue, licking her lips. She had noted the presence of various magical items nearby, and the scent of the various weapons the newcomers possessed only filled her with a deep treasure lust. ‘Delicious!’ She noted how far the other Priest was, beside the Wizard who would soon be a snack for her. ‘No healing from her!’

Vandra leapt up to the sky, blasting the Dwarf and the woman away from her, before darting towards the charging pair of Silver Rank Adventurers, knowing that the weakened group would flee as they were too weak to face her. 

She inhaled, her throat expanding slightly, an icy breeze escaping her lips before she blasted the area with her Dragon Breath.

Constitution Save
D20 + 5 = 23 (18)

Health: 52 -> 22

Constitution Save
D20 + 5 = 6 (1)
D20 + 5 = 9 (3)

The chill struck through Adam, the jagged ice clattering against his armour and cutting through his skin. The Half Elf nearly dropped as the icy breath nearly shattered his body, causing his spell to fail. 

‘Damn it!’

Lanban had taken quite the beating from the icy breath, but he leapt forward, raging like a beast as he struck the creature’s gut with his maul, causing Vandra to screech and stumbled beside him, allowing him another blow.

Paul, who had managed to shrug off the icy breath of the Dragon, slid to his knee and brought up his bow, slipping a hand into his robes before bringing out one of the Dragon Slaying Arrows he held within them, kept hidden from the Dragon’s senses by another dimension.

“No! It’s you! Deathsinger!” Vandra roared. “Stay out of my business, you flees!” It was then she smelled it, the putrid stench of a Dragon Slaying arrow. “No! No!” She flapped her wings to try and escape, but the Dragon Slaying arrows, two of them, struck deep into her chest, causing her to shudder and stumble, as a beam of light, a Guiding Bolt, struck her in the gut. 

“No!” Vandra roared, having already taken quite a blow from the four from before, and she nearly fell. “I shall return to feast upon you!”

Warrior Spirit: 3 -> 1
Health: 22 -> 27

Attack (Flanking)
D20 + 8 = 18 (10)
D20 + 8 = 19 (11)
Hit!
Mana: 7 -> 5
1D6 + 2D6 + 3D6 + 5 = (2)(1, 4)(4, 5, 6)
27 damage!

Onward Soar: 1 -> 0

Attack (Flanking)
D20 + 8 = 14 (6)
D20 + 8 = 26 (18)
Hit!
Mana: 5 -> 3
1D6 + 2D6 + 3D6 + 5 = (3)(1, 3)(3, 5, 5)
25 damage!

As it tried to leap upwards, forcing Lanban away with its wind, Vandra saw a puny creature within puthral plate mail leap up with a powerful blade. Her head darted forward to try and bite against him, since he wore such great armour and wielded such a great blade, she could at least take him away to fill her hoard.

“Who gave you permission to flee?” Adam asked, gripping his blade tightly within his hand. 

As those mighty jaws snapped towards him, Adam caught her jaws with his shield, and pierced her jaw through with his blade, which flashed white hot with his Smite. 

Vandra screeched as the blade struck through her neck, realising just how powerful the blow had been, as she almost fell to the blackness of death.

“No!” the dragon roared, trying to toss him off of her, but Adam kept a firm grip on the shield which was caught in her mouth.

He raised his white sword, which caught the sun across its blade.

“Sorry, but my sister’s waiting,” he said, swinging down, cutting through her neck once again, cleaving through the meaty appendage, and cutting her screeches short. 

He dropped, the dragon’s head landing on top of him and pinning him underneath. The dragon fell on top of Lanban, who had swung once again to meet her, causing her entire body to shake as she dropped beside him. 

The Iyrman roared with laughter, throwing his fists into the air. “Yes!” he declared. “The Dragon is slain!”

Victory
Vandra
XP Gained: +1000
XP: 970 -> 1970

Adam lay there under the head, panting for air. 

‘That was easier than I thought.’

His eyes fell to the group of four, which had regrouped, and had watched as their nemesis was finally slain. He smiled and pushed Vandra’s head off of him, before rolling over to stumble onto his feet. 

“Lovely weather we’re having, isn’t it?” Adam said, panting as he made his way over to the group of four. 

His eyes caught Rojer’s, then Redboulder’s, who had removed his helmet to reveal a nasty scar, recently gifted, before then looking to the two women, who were humans. 

They stared at him, wondering who he was, and unsure of what he was doing. They had randomly appeared, with two Iyrmen, one of whom had healed their Wizard, who had nearly fallen from Vandra’s assault not minutes ago.

“Who the hell are you two?” Adam asked, glancing at the women, raising his brows.

“We should be asking you that, stranger,” the woman in the armour said. 

“I’m Adam, son of Fate,” he said, taking off his helmet to reveal his pointed ears. “I expected to meet a Lady, along with another who was partly of my kind,” he said, looking to the other woman. ‘Did it change again?’

“You’re a Half Elf?” the woman gasped, staring at Adam. She also noted the Copper Rank tag on display, which only caused her eyes to fill with more confusion.

“Yep,” Adam said, wiggling his ears. “Anyway, I was here looking for a Lady by the name of-“

“White Grace!” Paul called out, quickly rushing over towards the four.

Their eyes shot over to Paul, full of shock and suspicion, more so than for Adam. “You’ve heard of us?” the woman asked, staring at the man.

“I’m Vice Master Paul, from the Red Oak branch,” he said, extending a hand and greeting each of them.

Almost instantly, the entire group relaxed. “It is good fortune that we meet,” the woman said, shaking his hand. 

“You aren’t kidding,” Paul replied, throwing a look to Adam. “You were looking for this party?”

“That’s right,” Adam said.

Paul blinked at him, and the other four stared at him in shock, their eyes quickly falling to Paul with a quizzical look.

“Don’t ask me,” he said. “I don’t understand him one bit.”

‘What just happened?’ Jonn thought.

 

 


https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FqGNlqfv.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


I have no idea, Jonn.

I have no idea.

12