130. Strangers on the Trail
282 10 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The party didn’t spend much time in Eagle Wing. After preparing milk for the Wolves, refilling their rations, they left the day after they had arrived.

They followed the King’s Road towards Deadwood, a journey which would take them two to four days depending on how quickly they wished to move.

“Aren’t there bandits and such we need to be worried about?” Adam asked, glancing around.

“We are still within Central Aldland,” Jurot said. “There are very few bandits who would try to both anyone within this area.”

“Why is that?”

“Central Aldland has the most small forts,” Jurot said. “Each city has one, but there are also a few more between cities.”

“Small forts?”

“They typically house a hundred to two hundred Soldiers.”

“Oh,” Adam said. “So Central Aldland is safe?”

Jurot nodded. “If we headed out of Jaghi and went south or north, we may have had to deal with bandits, but we are on the King’s Road in Central Aldland.”

“There are also many Orders in Central Aldland,” Jonn said. “They keep the peace as part of their duties.”

“What’s the nearest Order to here?”

“The Order of Bronze Eagle,” Jonn said. “It is east of Eagle Wing.”

“The road east from Eagle Wing is the safest road in the entire land,” Jurot said. “They say even a child can walk the entire length of the road towards the capital city.”

“That’s what they say,” Jonn said.

“What about that other Order?” Adam asked. “The one which kicked you out?”

“It is south of Deadwood.”

“We passed it on the way to Deadwood,” Jurot said. “Though we did not find one of its patrols.”

“Do you want to swing by it?” Adam asked.

“No,” Jonn said, sternly.

Hearing the Half Elf’s tone of voice, Adam dropped the matter. 

It was midway through the second day when they saw six Soldiers patrolling along the road, heading up towards them. They were on their horses, each wearing heavy chain mail, save for the leader, who wore a breastplate.

At their sides were a short blade and a mace, and they wielded long spears. Their horses also held packs, no doubt full of their food and water, among the other items which they needed. 

The party stepped aside to allow the Soldiers to pass, though they came to a stop just ahead of them.

“State your business, travellers,” a Soldier called out, eyes scanning across the group. There were three Iyrmen, a Priest of War, a man in breastplate who may have also been a Priest or Guardian, and a man wearing full puthral plate mail.

“Heading to Deadwood,” Adam said, nodding his head.

“I could gather that much,” the Soldier replied. “What is your business in Deadwood?”

“We are going to have a nice, long bath, and then head down to Red Oak the day after,” Adam said, almost dreamily.

The Soldier stared down at Adam, the man in puthral plate mail who hadn’t removed his helmet, meaning he wasn’t an Iyrman. 

“What a suspicious reply,” the Soldier said, narrowing his eyes.

Adam shrugged. “It’s the truth. We’ve been on the road for a while, and a nice bath is what I’m yearning for.” Adam motioning to his armour. “We’ll rest the evening at Deadwood and then head to Red Oak.”

“What is your business in Red Oak?” the Soldier asked It was outside of their jurisdiction, but it was always a good idea to ask. 

“We might quest once or twice, and then we’ll head to the Iyr,” Adam said, motioning a hand to the three Iyrmen.

The Soldier’s eyes fell across the Iyrmen. He noted the Iron Tags along each of their bodies, save for the man in breastplate, whose Tag was that of Bronze. 

“Alright,” the Soldier said. “We will kindly ask each of you for a gold coin and we will leave you on your way.”

“Here you are,” Adam said, tossing a small gem worth ten gold from the Party Fund. “Thank you for keeping us safe along our travels.” Adam tapped his helmet with the side of his finger as a casual salute.

The Soldiers tipped their helmets towards the group before they continued along on their horses.

“I thought we’d get into trouble with that mouth of yours,” Jaygak said.

“I think we could have taken them, but what’s the point?” Adam asked, throwing a look back towards the Soldiers. “If we start trouble with them it’ll end up with us being at odds with the entire Kingdom.”

“Sometimes you’re smarter than you make yourself out to be,” Jaygak said.

“Thanks,” Adam said, continuing on. “Wait, what?”

Jaygak smiled. 

Their journey to Deadwood passed by uneventfully, with them eventually bathing and relaxing within the town.

“I don’t want to spend too much time and money in this place,” Adam said. “Not after how they treated me.”

Dunes melted against his chair and opened an eye towards Adam. “They treated me quite fine.”

“Yeah, but you’re a Priest.”

Dunes smiled. “That I am.”

“Since they didn’t want me here, then I won’t spend much time here. Since I’m not welcome here, then nor is my gold.” Adam crossed his arms, still annoyed with how the Deadwood Nobles had treated him poorly. 

After another long bath in the morning, the group left the town, heading along the hill’s edge, making their way towards Red Oak. 

A few hours into their journey, Kitool noted something in the distance. As they approached, they found a woman who was laying against a tree, a hand at her side, and a blade in the other. She had another shortsword which was set beside her, and her bow and quiver were dropped beside her too. She wore studded leather armour, and on her face was a mask stylised to look like a fox, though Adam noted her skin was quite tan.

Adam bolted up towards the woman. “Hey, are you okay?” Adam called, dropping down beside her. 

The woman did not move or react to him.

Mana: 10 -> 9
Spell: Healing Word
1D3 + 3 = 5 (2)

“Hey, wake up,” Adam called, his voice full of magical energy, which soon set within the woman. 

She stirred and slowly shifted her head. 

“Are you alright?” Adam asked.

“Alright?” the woman replied, her voice weak and shaking.

Kitool dropped beside her, and threw Jurot and Jaygak a look. The pair nodded.

“Leave her,” Jurot said, placing a hand on Adam’s shoulder. 

“Leave her?” Adam asked, throwing a look to Jurot. “She’s dying.” Adam reached down for her mask, but Jurot and Kitool grabbed his arm.

“You cannot do that,” Jurot said.

“We cannot remove her mask,” Kitool added.

“She needs food and water. She’s weak, and more than likely she’s dehydrated.”

“I will deal with her,” Kitool said, reaching down to grab her waterskin. “You must leave.”

“Leave?” Adam blinked. He glanced between the pair, who seemed to know something. “Why?”

“We cannot say,” Jurot said, staring into Adam’s eyes.

“You can’t say?” Adam stared up into Jurot’s eyes. “You can’t even tell me?”

Jurot shook his head. “Kitool will feed her and care for her for the moment, and we will leave behind food and water, but we cannot stay here for long.”

“Jurot, she’s dying. I can’t just abandon her, not for some vague reason. Do you think I’ll be able to sleep at night if I let her die?”

“It is too dangerous for us to remain here,” Jurot said, his eyes darting around the area.

“Too dangerous?” Adam asked, noting how Jurot’s eyes were focused elsewhere. “What is so dangerous that even you would run?”

Jurot’s eyes remained focused elsewhere. “We cannot remain here, Adam. We must leave.”

Adam wasn’t sure what had spooked Jurot to the point he, an Iyrman, wanted to run away from a fight. “Fine.”

Adam pulled away, leaving Kitool behind to tend to the woman. He followed Jurot out, and Dunes and Jonn threw a quizzical look towards Adam, who shrugged his shoulders. 

Jaygak remained between the group and Kitool, placing down a few of her own rations, as well as some water. 

Kitool lifted up the woman’s mask just to reveal her lips, noting how dry they were, before she assisted in feeding her water. After feeding her a few sips, she placed down the water beside the woman and made a mark into the ground, before collecting the shortsword, bow, and quiver, placing it beside her against a tree. 

“Finished?” Jaygak asked.

Kitool nodded. 

“Is this a secret of the Iyrmen?” Adam asked in their tongue. “Something you can’t even tell me?”

Jurot nodded. “It’s not something that we can tell you. We haven’t been informed of it, other than the basics. All we know is that we can’t stay here for long and that we should go.”

“Is she going to be okay?”

“She will be fine,” Kitool said, returning after dealing with the woman. “We should leave.”

Seeing as the Iyrmen were eager to leave, Adam began to leave with them. 

“I’m still annoyed that I don’t know what’s going on.”

“There are things we should know, and things we shouldn’t,” Jurot said. 

The first rains of Duskval began to fall.

 


https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFQtLDMi.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


Making up for missing yesterday. Though, tomorrow you might see a couple of chapters too! Maybe even the day after too?

13