135. Adam’s Strength
254 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The children clapped at the end of the tale, the light patter of rain assisting their applause. 

Lanarot had fallen asleep midway through the tale and had awoken recently from the gentle claps. She coughed and began to cry, only for Sonarot to pick her up and gently soothe her, patting her back gently as she hummed quietly into the girl’s ear. 

“We will sleep soon, my Lanarot,” Sonarot hummed as she rocked the baby.

Jogak remained sitting still as his daughter’s knuckles rasped on his head. 

“You can use abilities of the Guardians?” Elder Zijin asked, having paid keen attention to the tale. There were many things he had learnt through it, most of them about Adam.

“Just the, you know, smiting,” Adam said. 

“You beat Jonn too?” Zijin asked, glancing over to Jonn, who was well above an Expert.

“Yeah,” Adam said.

“In a single round?”

“More or less,” Adam replied, smiling.

“And slaying two Dragons,” Sonarot said, smiling at him. “What an amazing feat. I will tell everyone of the good news about the adventures of my Jurot and my Nephew.” She couldn’t help but beam. 

“To think that a year hasn’t even passed yet,” Elder Zijin said, feeling the emotions twirl within him. ‘His rapid growth is alarming.’

“Is that a lot?” Adam asked.

Elder Zijin’s brows raised.

Sonarot stopped patting her daughter.

Jaygak covered her mouth.

Even Jurot, who had been basking in the afterglow of the tale he had told, snapped upright.

“What?” Adam asked.

“You have done very well, Adam,” she said, but instead of bringing more attention to his ridiculousness, she changed the topic. “You have all been travelling for so long. Are you planning to rest within the Iyr?”

It wasn’t for Adam’s sake that she had changed the topic, but a statement to Elder Zijin. She understood that Adam was like a flame, one which the Iyr was currently keeping an eye on to see if it would turn into a burning inferno which will harm them, or one which will assist in keeping away the cold.

“Well,” Adam said, looking to Dunes. “We were going to discuss it tomorrow. Dunes wanted to quest a few more times during Duskval.”

“We have been working for some times,” Dunes said. “If you wish to rest, we can. Will we be resting within the Iyr too?”

“I’ll be working,” Adam said. “You guys can rest up. If there’s a problem, I’ll deal with it.” Adam glanced to Sonarot, wondering if she had an issue with them staying here. However, they had already brought a cabin for the three.

“You are going to be working?” Dunes asked, staring at the Half Elf. “Are you a man who is allergic to rest?”

“Something like that,” Adam said, rubbing the side of his neck. “Ah, for no reason in particular, how attached are you to that Jagite longsword of yours?”

“Fairly attached,” Dunes said. “It’s the nicest weapon I’ve ever owned.”

“I see,” Adam said, rubbing his chin. “I also bought a Jagite longsword from Jaghi, and I was going to enchant it for you.”

Dunes stared at Adam, blinking at the Half Elf. Then he turned, looking to Jurot and Sonarot, who didn’t seem to react, before he turned back to looking at Adam.

“What?” Adam asked.

“Excuse me? What was that you just said?”

“I was planning on enchanting a sword for you,” Adam said. 

“You were going to enchant a sword for me?” Dunes asked.

“Yeah.”

“What?” Dunes blinked. “You know how to enchant?”

“Yeah.”

“You know how to brew potions too?”

“Yeah.”

“You can do both?”

“Yeah.”

Dunes continued to blink. “You are going to enchant me a sword?” He wasn’t sure he understood what Adam said.

Sonarot smiled, since he was going threw the same shock they had all experienced around Adam.

“Since you’re one of us now, why not?” Adam asked, shrugging his shoulders.

“I cannot afford it,” Dunes said. “Enchanting is expensive business. We have not earned that much money through our adventuring, and considering my tithes, I really cannot.”

“You’re right, enchanting is expensive business, but I have plenty of gems to enchant with, enough to enchant your blade and more.” Adam nodded. “Though I am planning to enchant to make some coin too.”

“What are you even saying!” Dunes continued to blink at the Half Elf. “You cannot just enchant a weapon for me.”

Adam blinked in return. “Why not?”

“Enchanting is time consuming and expensive,” Dunes said, trying to find a way to deny the enchanting. “How long have we known each other? A few months at most? I have only just joined your party!”

“What are you saying?” Adam asked, holding his chin quizzically. “I enchanted Kitool and Jaygak’s weapons when I hadn’t known them long, probably less than I knew you. I knew Jurot for less than a couple of months and I enchanted his axe. Man, I enchanted my darling little sister’s weapon before she was even born.” Adam smiled. 

Dunes continued to blink wildly at Adam, trying to process the words he was hearing.

Jonn’s eyes were glued on the other Half Elf, and Brittany reached up to cover her ears. She understood there were things she should and should not hear.

“You did what?” Dunes almost coughed. 

Sonarot smiled, enjoying the scene before her. Even Elder Zijin was relaxing, bathing in the confusion Adam was causing. Jaygak clutched at her jaws tight. 

“Adam, I must refuse,” Dunes said, feeling too uncomfortable to accept.

Adam inhaled deeply. “I refuse your refusal.”

“Adam, I am serious. I cannot accept.”

Adam shut his eyes tight and crossed his arms. “Dunes, I am serious. I cannot accept that you cannot accept.”

“Adam, you…”

“You did pretty well against the Dragon,” Adam said. “Without that, I’m not sure I could have let loose as much as I did. Plus, the stronger you are, the likelier we are to survive. Our number one priority is to return home, safe and sound.”

Adam smiled, reaching up to the sleepy Lanarot, brushing her hair gently as she squirmed. He held her up to Dunes, which surprised the little girl, as it was the first night skinned person she had ever seen.

“Do you see my adorable little sister?” Adam asked.

“Yes?”

“What would you say to her if you let me die. Are you going to tell her that you let me die just because you didn’t want to accept a magical weapon which could save our lives?” Adam kept Lanarot in his arms, with her staring at his face, filled with confusion.

“No, but death isn’t the end of life,” Dunes said, his lips growing taut.

Adam leaned Lanarot in even closer, causing her to squirm and pull back. “Go ahead,” Adam said. “Say it to her face.”

Dunes looked at the little baby who was squirming away from him, beginning to tremble in Adam’s arms, then he looked to Sonarot, who was staring deep at him. No, she wasn’t staring at him, she was staring deep into his soul.

“Sorry,” Dunes said. “I will accept the magical weapon. Thank you.”

“Good,” Adam said, pulling Lanarot back and nuzzling her cheek. “Hey, don’t cry when you see a black dude, that’s weird, Lanababy.” He brushed the girl’s hair. 

“Even so, we shouldn’t stay in the Iyr for long,” Dunes said. “I don’t want to overstay my welcome.”

“You are Guests of Jurot,” Sonarot said. “You do not need to worry about such matters.”

“Alright, we’ll quest a few times during Duskval, and then I’ll spend the entire winter, I mean, Nightval, making weapons. I’ve got the forge up until the end of this year, if I recall?” Adam glanced to Elder Zijin, who had been enjoying himself. 

“Yes,” the Elder replied, nodding his head. 

“I should probably get some more gems,” Adam thought, thinking about how many gems he had. “Ah, hold on. Since it’s a magical weapon for the party, I can just use the Party Fund, right?”

“It is what the Party Fund was made for,” Kitool said. 

“That sounds fine to me,” Jaygak said.

Jurot nodded. “We have entrusted you with the matter.”

“Well, we have spent a lot on Jonn and Dunes,” Adam said, feeling a little guilty.

“You enchanted our weapons before the formation of the Party Funds, so we cannot refuse to spend it on Dunes’ magical weapon,” Jurot said. 

“I don’t have too many gems personally,” Adam thought.

“If you wish for gems, the Iyr will provide them, as long as you are willing to auction the weapons to the Iyr first,” Sonarot offered, petting his head, taking Lanarot from him. 

Adam nodded. “Can I buy ores and wood from the Iyr?”

"We can requisition some using our family name," Sonarot said.
 
"I'll buy them,” Adam said. “That way the Iyr’s coffers are growing. If the Iyr is strong, then I don’t have to worry about Lanarot.”

"The Iyr is strong," Jurot stated.

“Right,” Adam said, chuckling. “Aunt, when I-“ Adam paused, glancing at the others about them. “Right, we can speak about it later.”

Sonarot bowed her head, unsure of what he wanted to talk about.

“Where’s Lucy?” Adam asked.

"She is currently training in the caves,” Elder Zijin said. 

"Training in the caves?" Adam asked.

"She wished to train, so she left to do so with many Iyrmen. She trains quite a lot."

"She must be bored too." Adam felt a little guilty, considering he was going out and having fun adventuring. 
 
"It is late,” Sonarot said, rocking her daughter gently. “Shall we sleep?”

The others were guided to the cabin, where Brittany could sleep in her own section of the cabin, walled off from Jonn and Dunes. 

Sonarot placed Lanarot down, who began to cry that her mother wasn’t with her, but soon stopped as Sonarot lay beside her, rubbing her stomach.

“Woo. Awoo. Aa.” Lanarot babbled at her mother before slowly closing her eyes.

Adam stared at the tiny girl, puffing out his chest. ‘My little sister is so adorable!’

Jurot saw the way she relaxed in their mother’s arms, the way she babbled as she calmed. 

His heart throbbed painfully.

 


https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFQtLDMi.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


I hope you're all enjoying these early chapters. I'm putting them out as thanks for all the support I'm receiving recently, including the new patrons etc. 

11