172. No Excuses
297 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What did I do wrong this time?” Adam asked as the Chief headed inside the Gak’s spare room, with Jogak bringing them some snacks. 

“I am sure you understand why I am here, Adam.”

“Is it about the weapon?”

“Yes.”

Adam rubbed his forehead. “Are you worried why I made the weapons?”

“Yes, among other things. How did you find our Jarot’s weakness?”

“I took a guess,” Adam replied. “I… I am somewhat familiar with most abilities which people might possess. When I heard that he was resistant to many types of damage, I knew that there was one which was hard to resist, even for Iyrmen.”

“So it was just a guess?”

“Not quite. It’s difficult for me to explain, because…” Adam wasn’t sure that he understood the abilities through a system. “I just know a few things about that sort of thing.”

“We have never heard of anyone like you, who has the ability to cast the spells you know, to hold so many abilities from so many different paths of life.”

“I work within the system, but without as many barriers,” Adam replied, hoping that would explain enough without getting too in depth with it.

“Is it true you made the weapon to kill Jarot?”

“No,” Adam said. “I made it to beat him easier, sure, but it was mostly because that something like that would be useful. Jurot already has fire, Jaygak has a more powerful blade, Kitool has her staff, Dunes his sword, which I really should have made to deal holy damage, and my own… well, we’ll be a well balanced party, don’t you think?”

Iromin bowed his head.

“That isn’t to say I wouldn’t use it to kill Jarot,” Adam said, digging himself into a hole. “If, for whatever reason, Jarot does something unforgivable, and we come to blows, I may rely on Phantom, among other abilities, to take him out.”

“That is alarming news,” Iromin said.

“The truth,” Adam replied. “I’d kill almost anyone with that axe. You know, other than Aunt, Lanarot, and so on.”

“Would you use it against me?” the Chief asked.

“No,” Adam said. “I’d need something more powerful to go against you, Chief.”

The Chief nodded. “I hope that you do not use this weapon against our people.”

“I have no intention to do so,” Adam said. “I hope to remain in good graces with the Iyr until I’m far beyond death.”

“If there is a time we regret allowing you to use our shrines, then it will be a time you will regret betraying our trust.”

Adam smiled. “I hope that if I do end up against you, that you’ll give me the benefit of the doubt. I don’t think I will ever go against the Iyr in my right mind, so please save me from whatever it is which has made me go against you.”

Iromin nodded. “How did you manage to create a magical weapon with a greater enchantment so quickly?”

Adam shrugged his shoulders. “I assume ten days is quick, then?” Adam chuckled. “Beats me. I do whatever you see me do. I grab some gems, I expend Mana, sometimes I’ll ask for Fate to help me out, and then out comes a weapon in three days, or ten, apparently.”

“Your way of enchanting is similar to ours, but there are some differences,” he admitted. “However, even our greatest enchanters cannot enchant as quickly as you.”

“Sorry,” Adam replied, chuckling. “Honestly, I’m not sure what I do. I just do what you see me do and out comes an enchanted weapon.”

“Were all the enchantments you created on your weapon purposeful? The charges, the healing, the extra damage.”

“Yes,” Adam said.

“So you did not leave it to Fate?” 

“It is the best possible weapon I could have created because of Fate, but all the enchantments were purposeful,” Adam admitted. “Though, I really should have added another enchantment, I think I probably could have, but for a first try at a greater enchantment, it was pretty good.”

“We still cannot understand what you are,” Iromin said. 

“A friend,” Adam said. “Well, a Nephew.” He winked.

Iromin nodded. “Do you think you can create another weapon with a greater enchantment so quickly?”

“Maybe,” Adam replied. “If it’s a simpler enchantment, probably a little quicker? Not sure. I’d have to try it.”

“Will you be able to create a weapon with a legendary status?” Iromin asked.

‘Can I?’

[If it is a simple enchantment.]

“A very simple one, yes.”

Iromin remained silent for a long while, before he bowed his head. “I will leave you to your evening, Adam.”

“Thanks,” Adam said. “And thanks for coming to me to talk to me. I’m sure I’m very stressful for you and the other Great Elders.”

“You know?”

“Yes,” Adam said.

“And you continue to stress us?”

Adam smiled.

“Is everything fine?” Sonarot asked, watching the Chief leave.

“I think so,” Adam glanced over to her. “I think I was a little too forward with that weapon, but I think he understands where I’m coming from.”

“It was quite alarming,” Sonarot said. 

“Well, I’m sorry for worrying everyone.”

“I do not think you meant anything by it,” she said, brushing his hair. 

“Will you save me if the Chief tries to kill me?” Adam asked, half joking.

“Yes,” she said. 

Adam raised his brows. “Really?”

“Yes. There must be some reason the Chief is killing you, but I will wish to hear why. If you are at fault, I must be the one to kill you.”

Adam stared at her, seeing her smile at him so sweetly. “Well, at least it’ll be you.”

Omen: 11, 14

“I cannot accept this,” Nirot said, glaring at Adam during breakfast. “Let us fight right now!”

“If Aunt Sonarot says we can, sure,” Adam said, throwing the woman a look.

Sonarot sighed. “Okay. You cannot hurt her too much.”

“I will not let him beat me, aunt.” Nirot glared at Adam, wondering why her aunt thought he was going to win. She was an Iyrman, and a member of the Rot family. 

Adam went to the house.

“Where are you running off to?” Nirot asked.

“I was getting my armour,” Adam replied, simply.

Nirot smirked smugly at the Half Elf. “Armour? Okay.”

Adam stared at her. ‘Looks like I need to teach her a lesson.’ “Fine, I won’t use any armour.” Adam pulled up his axe. 

“Hmph!” Nirot grabbed her axe and shield, ready to fight.

“I will warn you, I’ve never once lost while my sister has been watching,” Adam said, holding out his axe casually in front of him. ‘I don’t need to take it too seriously.’

Lanarot clapped her hands as she stared at the pair of them.

Battle Order
D20 + 1 = 14 (13)

Warrior Spirit: 3-> 2

Attack
D20 + 8 = 10 (2)
D20 + 8 = 19 (11)
Hit!
1D6 + 1D6 + 6 = 13 (1)(6)
13 damage!

Adam, who was naked without his armour, rushed forward. He focused on taking out Nirot quickly and efficiently, since his Aunt had asked him not to hurt the girl too much. His axe slammed against Nirot’s, who had brought her axe up to try and deflect the blow, for some reason not using her shield, and she screamed, passing out the next moment. 

Adam looked down at the girl, who had fallen on her side.

Victory!
Nirot
XP Gained: +30
XP: 5470 -> 5500

“I forgot how powerful this axe was,” Adam said, sheepishly. 

Mana: 10 -> 8
Spell: Healing Word
2D3 + 3 = 7 (2, 2)

“Hey, stop embarrassing yourself,” Adam called, his voice full of healing magic.

Nirot gasped as she awoke, her eyes staring at the sky. “What?” She wasn’t sure what happened. She couldn’t recall what had happened, though slowly the memories flowed back.

The young woman hopped onto her feet, axe in hand. She grit her teeth, turning red as she charged towards Adam.

“Enough,” Sonarot shouted, quickly stepping forward, grabbing the girl’s wrist. “You lost, Nirot.”

“That axe of his is magical!” 

“Even without it, you would lose,” Sonarot said. 

“Fine,” Adam said. “Since you won’t accept, I’ll use whatever weapon that you want. A dagger, spear, my own fists?”

“I will face you without you using any magical weapons!” Nirot growled. “I do not care which weapon you use.”

Adam nodded. “Since I’m a member of the Rot family, I need a shield and axe.”

Sonarot smiled, going off to grab one of each from the wall of the Rot house. “Please, be nice.”

“Hold on,” Adam said.

Mana: 8 -> 6
Spell: Healing Word
2D3 + 3 = 8 (2, 3)

“Are you feeling better now?” Adam asked. 

“Yes,” Nirot replied.

“You’re at full strength?”

“Yes,” she said, raising her axe.

Battle Order
D20 + 1 = 2 (1)

This time Nirot was quick to move, as she grit her teeth, turned red, and charged towards the Half Elf. Her axe clattered against Adam’s shield, who ducked.

Warrior Spirit: 2 -> 1

D20 + 6 = 22 (16)
D20 + 6 = 23 (17)
Hit!
1D6 + 1D3 + 4 = 9 (3)(2)
Damage resisted.
6 damage!

Adam swung down towards her with his axe, slamming up against her shield as she stumbled back. He wound back for another strike as she tried to attack him.

D20 + 6 = 7 (1)
D20 + 6 = 26 (20)
Critical hit!
2D6 + 2D3 + 4 = 15 (2, 3)(3, 3)
Damage resisted.
8 damage!

 Nirot hadn’t expected the second blow, and quickly found herself unconscious as Adam struck her across the side of her head with the shaft of his axe, catching her in his arms.

“I am sorry, Adam,” Sonarot said. “She is strong willed.”

“Pretty sure she was like that last time too,” Adam said, chuckling.

Sonarot rubbed the girl’s forehead. “Will you heal her?”

“I was just about to,” Adam said, stepping back. “I thought it would be best if she awoke in your arms.”

Mana: 6 -> 4
Spell: Healing Word
2D3 + 3 = 5 (1, 1)

“Wake up,” Adam called, healing the girl.

‘First I critically miss and hit in the same attack, and then I roll minimum for my healing?’ Adam wondered if he was lucky or unlucky.

Nirot grunted as Adam healed her, coming to in her aunt’s arms. “Huh?” She looked up at the pair of them, blinking. She shook her head, quickly waking up. “You are an Expert?”

“Yep,” Adam said. 

She narrowed her eyes. “I definitely will not accept an Elf.”

“I’m only half an Elf,” Adam said, frowning. 

It didn’t really matter to Adam, who walked over to his sister and picked her up as she clapped and squealed. 

“Did you see me win?” He kissed her cheek and held her close to his chest as she giggled and babbled.

Nirot wondered how Adam had managed to get to the position he could be so tender with her cousin. ‘I will find out your secrets, Half Elf!’ She tried to ignore the fact he was an Expert and a fine addition to the Rot family.

 


https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFQtLDMi.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


What the hell is Adam saying to Iromin? He's about to get killed for sure.

Nirot kinda sus of Adam, and she's 100% in the right.

Thanks to Fate, who subbed on Patreon.

No, not that Fate.

I hope.

13