247. News In The Iyr
295 6 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Omen: 5, 5

“Oof,” Adam groaned as Lanarot sat down on his chest. “You’re so fat now that I can’t hold you any more.”

Lanarot clapped her hands, squealing with innocent joy as she stared down at him. She babbled at him and slapped his chest.

“Why are you beating me up? I didn’t do anything.” Adam rocked his head from side to side as he pretended to be hurt. 

“Lanarot, come,” Sonarot called. 

Lanarot turned to face her mother, staring at her, before looking back to Adam. She clapped her hands and slapped his chest again.

“Lanarot, come,” Sonarot called again.

Once more the girl looked at her mother, waiting for a moment. 

“Lanarot, come.” Sonarot held out her arms.

Lanarot carefully began to shift herself so she could crawl towards her mother, Adam lifting an arm up to assist her, before he was free of the girl’s abuse. 

Adam made a number of noises as he sat up, the same kind of noises one’s grandfather would make when pretending to not want attention as they moved about, only to tell you off when you stared at them. 

“Mother, I have heard!” Jurot declared, quickly stepping inside the house. His face was beaming with rare excitement.

‘Did he get some storm wood?’ Adam thought, hopping onto his feet to stretch his body. He had nothing to do today so he had spent it relaxing, having felt the searing gaze of Sonarot against him when he had thought about labouring. 

“There are already candidates for Elder Wrath,” Jurot said. “Will grandaunt lay her claim?”

Adam stared at Jurot, his eyes filling with questions. “Excuse me?”

“You did not hear?” Sonarot asked, but her eyes said that she had already known he had no clue. “Elder Wrath stepped down.”

Adam blinked and shook his head. “Excuse me? He can do that?”

“Yes,” Sonarot replied, simply. “It has not happened in some time, but he says he was denied a good death failed his duties.”

“What the hell?” Adam whispered. “What happened?”

“Elder Wrath had been tasked with leading a group of Iyrmen to face the Aswadians in their tournament. We had a good showing. He was defeated at the end.”

“Are we talking about the same Elder Wrath? Short hair? Built like Nobby? Axe?” 

“Yes.”

“What kind of monster beat him?” Adam asked. He recalled the few times he met Elder Wrath, but he was pretty sure that he could go tow to tow with the Chief. Chances were, Elder Wrath was the strongest between them all. 

“Lion King Ashmir,” Jurot stated. “He was an undefeated Gladiator in Aswadasad. He faced Elder Wrath, axe against greatsword, and Elder Wrath was defeated.”

“I’m still trying to understand what happened,” Adam admitted, rubbing his forehead. “How did I not hear about this?”

“You were working hard,” Sonarot said, raising a brow towards him. 

“I wonder what kind of guy that Ashmir is,” Adam said. “We should head to Aswadasad during Dawnval and check him out.”

“He is in the Iyr,” Sonarot said.

Adam blinked. “Excuse me? Ashmir? Lion King Ashmir?”

“Yes,” Sonarot said, as though it were obvious he would be in the Iyr. “He was invited to stay in the Iyr. He is currently with the Mir family.”

Adam narrowed his eyes. “Was he always an Iyrman?”

“No. He was invited to stay in the family since he did not want to change his name. Though they use a spear and not a greatsword, it is a boon for them to accept him.”

“A small price to pay,” Adam admitted. “Did he join by becoming a Nephew then?”

“He is currently a Guest, but there are steps to make him a Nephew, and eventually to marry him into the Iyr.”

“Oh,” Adam replied. “What’s marrying an Iyrman like anyway?”

“Are you interested?” Sonarot asked, tilting her head slightly, her eyes teasing him more.

“I’m interested in the concept of it,” Adam admitted. “I haven’t been to an Iyrman wedding, nor do I really understand what it means to be married to an Iyrman. Let’s say I, Adam, Nephew of the Rot family, marry someone of another family, what’s the process like?”

“There are many negotiations,” Sonarot admitted. “Will you give up the Rot family name is the most major consideration you have to make.”

“I don’t have the Rot family name though, right?”

“That is true, but assuming you do, you would become Adamkan, for example, rather than Adamrot.”

“Am I known as Adamrot now?” Adam asked.

“In some ways,” Sonarot said, smiling at him.

“Then I refuse to get rid of the Rot family name,” Adam said. “So do I have to find someone who will give up their name?”

“Yes,” Sonarot said. “Usually those from the extended family are more willing to give up their names to join their partner’s family. There are some even from the main family who give up their names.”

“Right, like you?” Adam asked.

She smiled. “Yes, like me. I gave up my name to marry my Surot. My tattoo was removed and replaced. I was always Sona, but now of another family.”

“So if Lanarot gets married, she might have to change her name?” Adam asked. 

“Yes. If she gives up her name, she would be adopted into the other family.”

“Will she still be my sister?” Adam asked, narrowing his eyes. 

“Yes, though she will be closer with her new family.”

“I refuse,” Adam stated, firmly. “I won’t allow anyone to take my baby sister away from me.”

“What if she wishes to marry someone and they refuse to change their name?” Sonarot asked, staring down at him. 

“I’ll have enough money to deal with that,” he replied, simply.

“Money cannot solve everything,” Sonarot said.

“It can solve many things,” Adam replied. “If that doesn’t work, I’ll use my abilities, enchanting and stuff, to convince them. If that doesn’t work, I’ll just take them away and have a nice chat.” Adam cracked his knuckles.

Sonarot shook her head gently at him. “Being her brother also means knowing when to let go.”

“Then I’ll just be a bad brother,” Adam replied. “Those three things can solve anything. Well…” Adam thought about Mirot and Gorot. “Not everything.”

“They are stubborn,” Sonarot said, with a keen sense of these things. 

“She liked me in the other world I’m pretty sure.” Adam sighed. 

“Does it worry you?” Sonarot asked, giving Lanarot to Jurot, letting the boy hold her since he was standing there awkwardly. Lanarot groaned and coughed, about to cry, but she stared up at his face and stopped.

“A little,” Adam admitted. “She also threatened you, and I don’t like that one bit.”

“If she wishes to become Family Head now that her brother is missing, then she must face me in combat,” Sonarot said.

“Can you beat her?” Adam asked.

“It is a fight in her favour,” the Iyrman admitted. 

Adam frowned. “Then…” Adam wasn’t sure if he should continue on his line of thought. “What if I fight for the Family Head position?”

“You must be married into the Iyr, and have taken the vows,” she said, motioning to her forehead. “Then you may challenge for the position of Family Head.”

Adam crossed his arms, closing his eyes as he thought. “So what you’re saying is… I should help Jurot become stronger and have him become the Family Head? I should head to Red Oak more often then.”

“Jurot may marry soon,” she said, looking to her son, whose ears had turned red.

“How soon?” Adam asked, looking at the young man. 

“The next three years?” Sonarot said, and Jurot did not refute it.

“Then I guess we’d better do more quests for more bread,” Adam said. “Lanarot, do you want some bread too? Shall we take you go have some bread in Red Oak?” Adam asked, poking her side gently, causing her to lift up her legs and squirm in Jurot’s arms. 

“You can if you wish,” Sonarot said. “I can inform Elder Zijin that we wish to take her outside.”

“How does that work?”

“We simply inform the Elder the dates we wish to be gone, and the matter will be handled. If I am under another task at the time, then it may be delayed if no one can take my place for the task.”

“Oh,” Adam said. 

“It would be good to take her out,” Sonarot said. “We can take her out for Jurot’s birthday.”

“When’s your birthday?” Adam asked.

“The first of the first month of Dawnval,” Jurot replied.

“Mine too,” Adam said. “Technically. How old are you now?”

“Eighteen.”

“I’m…” ‘How old am I?’

[18.]

“Ho! We’re twins,” Adam said, chuckling. “I’m eighteen too. Well, I was in my mid twenties before, and I lived for a year in my last life, but I guess that doesn’t count?”

“Then you are to marry soon too?” Sonarot said. “It is best to do so before you turn twenty four.”

“Maybe,” Adam replied, narrowing his eyes at her. “I need to enchant a bunch of stuff so that I can kill an Adult Dragon first though.”

“This is why you need to marry soon, you work too hard,” she said. 

“Shouldn’t I work harder when I have a family?” Adam asked.

“Why?” Sonarot asked.

“So that I can support my family?”

“If you are always working, how can you spend time with your family?” Sonarot asked. “Does the Iyr not provide enough.”

“You’re sounding awfully unbritish,” Adam said. “In fact, you sound just like a commie.” Adam narrowed his eyes.

“Commie?” Sonarot asked.

Adam smiled, but then sighed sadly. “Nothing. Just a joke about my first life.”

 


https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F8uQmv6x.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


Making sure your citizens don't become homeless and hungry? Yucky.

11