253. Tasks In Life
251 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Omen: 10, 18

Lanarot shook as she cried, screaming as her mother picked her up, slowly rocking her. 

“It’s not that bad,” Adam said, pulling away from the pan flute. “With my bonus it was higher than a twenty.”

Sonarot slowly furrowed her brows, wondering why he was trying to use Warriors and Wanderers terms with her. ‘It must be a, as you say, British thing.’ “She is sleepy. Nightval is a time of rest, and she requires more hours to sleep. She has been playing too much.” She tapped her daughter’s back, trying to calm her down. 

“Go to sleep, little Lanababy,” Adam said, brushing her hair gently. “I’ll be back after enchanting and we can play then, okay?”

Lanarot sniffled, and sucked on her thumb as she was placed down. Her mother lay beside her, rubbing her stomach gently. 

“I thought your playing was very good,” Jurot said.

“Thanks,” Adam replied. “I’ll spend some time learning it when I’m not busy.”

Mana: 18 -> 17
Enchanting Check
D20 + 7 = 16 (9)
Omen: 10, 18 -> 10
18 + 7 = 25

The man looked up towards the sky, the heat of the fire flickering against him. “I should have brought the dead rat here,” he said. “Then I’d be able to hunt more of you.” He stood up, patting the snow from his bottom. All the while, a Nightval Bear began to paw its way towards him. Lightning crashed, and thunder rumbled, as several other creatures darted from the shadows towards him. 

Longsword
You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls made with this weapon.
You gain a +3 bonus to damage rolls made with this weapon. You may pick between fire or poison for this damage.

[Would you like to name the weapon?]

‘No, I’m good.’

XP Gained: +300
XP: 6150 -> 6450

‘Not as much as I expected,’ Adam thought. ‘Is my XP being reduced slightly because I’ve enchanted too much? Ah, well, I didn’t use very expensive gems either. Shame. Could have gotten some additional damage.’

Adam stared at how much XP he had gathered so far. ‘Now that I think about it, wasn’t the improved critical hit chance something like three thousand?’

[Yes.]

XP: 6450 -> 3450

Adam smiled, staring down at the sword. “I should have named you something cool, now that I think about it, but it doesn’t matter.” He sheathed the blade and made his way to the warehouse, where he found the Elder. 

“Elder Zijin,” Adam said, holding up the sword. “A basic bonus, as well as a choice between some additional damage.”

“Which damage.”

“Fire or poison,” Adam said.

Elder Zijin raised his brows to Adam, who winked. “Poison is not well liked.”

“Then stick with the fire.”

“Very well.”

Adam was attacked by two Dire Wolves once he had returned back to the estate. “Jay’a, Kit’a!” Adam fell onto the snow as the pair of them lapped up at his face. “How do you girls love me so much? I barely played with you and fed you.” ‘Is this what they mean by the first mover’s advantage?’

The Dire Wolves, who had grown so big, continued to hop around him, until Adam managed to flee from their love. 

Spell: Tricks

Once he had cleaned up the saliva, he walked over to Jurot and the others, who had gathered together. 

The older generation had grouped together, with the children near them. Jurot and the other young adults were also sitting by themselves, chatting away. 

Lanarot was with Jurot, however, his mother having forced him to sit with her and feed her.

“How is it that you’re always eating, baby?” Adam asked, petting her head. She looked up at Adam and smiled as she chewed on the soft fruit, before sticking more into her mouth. “You’ll become a fat little baby. It’s okay, though, you can be as chubby as you like.” Adam pet her head. 

“It is good for her to eat much while she is growing,” Jurot stated, bringing another piece of fruit to her lips. She nibbled against it like a little rabbit.

Adam left Lanarot be, sitting down with the group. “Managed to finish my work today.” He was always vague about work in front of Vonda and the others, who hadn’t figured out his abilities yet.

“Did it go well?” Jurot asked. 

“Yeah. Actually, right after work, I’ve received some new powers,” Adam said, a small smile on his face. 

The others stared at him, wondering how he managed to casually gain new powers, but he winked and waited for the food to be served.

“Adam,” called a familiar voice as Adam bit into some meat. 

“Hmm? Dargon?” Adam called. “What’s up?”

“Can we talk?” Dargon asked.

“Sure,” Adam said. “Guys, this is Dargon. He’s one of the first Iyrmen I met, and he brought me back to the Iyr, and then eventually assisted me in helping Aunt. He was there with the whole Awakened Forest shenanigans.”

“We’ve heard much about you,” Vonda said. 

Dargon smiled, nodding his head. “I will need to speak with Adam in private for a moment.”

“Oh yeah?” Adam asked, taking another bite of the meat, before walking out with him. “What’s up?”

“Could you enchant a greatsword?”

“I could,” Adam said. “What kind of enchantment are you thinking?”

“I have heard that you have the ability to enchant a weapon which can strike true at one’s will, and to heal someone when they are wounded?”

“Yeah,” Adam said. “Together or separate?”

“Can you enchant a greatsword which can strike true as one enchantment, and a separate enchantment to heal the person?”

“Do you want a weapon with charges which can do both, or do you want an infinite enchantment?” Adam asked.

Dargon thought about it for a long moment, trying to think which would be more useful. “An infinite… no, a finite enchantment.”

“Yeah, I can do that,” Adam said. “That’s going to be really difficult, but I think I can manage it. When do you need it done by?”

“Before Twilight Month.”

Adam narrowed his eyes slightly. “That’s going to be real rough. I need to be extremely lucky, and I’ve been really lucky recently, meaning it’s probably going to swing back.”

Dargon nodded. “Even if it is not finished by then, it is fine. How much will you charge?”

“So we’re talking a basic bonus, plus charges which do two separate things?” Adam asked.

“You can enchant it with a basic bonus too?” Dargon asked.

“I think so,” Adam said. “What’s a fair price for that?”

“Two to four thousand gold,” Dargon said. “A basic enchantment with limited charges of two well sought after abilities, that is the price range, I think. It would depend on the number of charges.”

“It’s going to cost a lot of gems too,” Adam said. “How about this. You provide the expensive gems and the greatsword, and I’ll charge a thousand, regardless of how good the enchantment will be.”

“So little?”

“Dargon,” Adam said, looking up at him. “I’m charging you because I know you’d probably refuse otherwise. I’ll aim to do my best, but it’s up to my luck whether it’ll be a good weapon or a great weapon.”

“Very well, Adam,” Dargon said, shaking his forearm. “We are not strangers, Adam. If you require assistance, you may come to me any time.”

“Since you’re here, you should take some trinkets back for the kids.”

Dargon nodded, having not expected that Adam had brought more gifts for the children, but it did sound like him. 

Omen: 10, 10

Adam let out a soft exhale. “Of course I tell him I’ll enchant only to roll a couple of tens.”

“Hoo!” Lanarot said, laying on his chest, looking up at him. 

“Are you copying me?” Adam asked. “How can you bully me like this?” Adam pinched her cheeks and she giggled.

“Are you enchanting today?” Jurot asked.

“No,” Adam said. “I think I’ll take it easy. Play with Sky and the girls, and maybe practise with the pan flute.”

“It is good to rest, Adam.” Jurot nodded to him.

“Yeah, I know,” Adam replied. “The festivals in a week or so, isn’t it?”

“Yes,” Jurot said. 

“I’ll probably enchant something during it if I roll well and don’t finish Dargon’s blade.”

“Mother will not be pleased.”

“She’ll forgive me,” Adam said. “I’ll show her my puppy dog eyes.”

Jurot stared at Adam, unsure of what he was talking about.

“You’ll see.” 

Adam spent the day with Sky, riding him around the Iyr, with Jay’a and Kit’a at their heels. 

‘I need to make sure Sky is loyal to me,’ Adam thought, rubbing the side of his neck. ‘I put the fear of Baktu into him, but loyalty is also nice.’

“What are you doing?” Jaygak asked.

“What?” Adam asked, holding a set of pan flutes to his lips. “I’m just practising my pan flutes.”

“That’s not what I’m talking about,” Jaygak said.

“Then what are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about Lanarot.”

Adam turned his head, where he saw Lanarot. She was standing, but was half laying against Sky, gently moving along with Sky’s breaths. “She’s just cuddling Sky.”

“She should be cuddling my baby,” Jaygak said.

“Why would she be doing that?”

Jaygak huffed out, annoyed. “Obviously because she’s the best!”

Kitool and Jurot stared at the two of them. ‘This is my task in life,’ they thought.

 


https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F8uQmv6x.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


Adam: Chaos Enchanter

Kitool: Baby Sitter

My sleep is still somehow rekt but it's better.

8