Chapter 7
45 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sadik drove them to the hospital, and Nikola picked up some peonies from the flower shop next to the hospital. When Sadik send him a questioning look, Nikola clarified.

“They are Vanya’s favorite,” Sadik felt slight jealousy toward Ivan. What did Yaroslavsky had that Sadik didn’t? He hoped that the two weren’t like that. Because, if it turned out that Nikola was just obvious to the Russian’s advances, then Sadik would have to step up his game.

The hospital depressed Sadik, as always. He only entered it to get his blood. He disliked it on principle. It was seeped in death all the time. He was a vampire, true, but he disliked places like that.

Nikola led him to a room on the third floor, and they entered. In there was a giant, that was the only way Sadik could describe the man. And he was warned that the man was two meters tall, but it had been hard imagining it.

He waved, and the man in the bed waved back, confused.

“Niki, who is that?” Ivan was speaking in English, probably thinking correctly that Sadik couldn’t understand him.

“Sadik…uhm, you didn’t give me your last name,” and neither had Nikola, but Sadik knew it. Asenov.

“Selim,” supplied Sadik, and he turned towards Ivan. “I have heard only good things about you. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

Ivan smiled, and Sadik thought that it looked positively childlike. Which contrasted with his muscled frame. How had such a man allowed for someone to push him down the stairs?

“Nice meeting you two, Sadik. Did Niki take you to church? You won’t imagine how long he talked Roshni, his Indian neighbor, into going there. How long was it, Niki? A month?” Ivan’s eyes were twinkling.

“You took Roshni to church?” Roshni was a grumpy old man with quite the temper. He had come to the states by marrying his wife. Well, she was long dead and he remained. Sadik quite liked him. He had this no-nonsense way about life.

“He is old and an atheist. What if Heaven and Hell exist, and he is locked from either because he didn’t believe?” Nikola sounded worried at the prospect. Sadik chuckled.

“And, did he become a Christian?” Roshni would have said something during their barbecue get together every first day of each month. He didn’t wear any crosses, either.

“Well, I am working on it. But I got him to go to church at least three times, so far. I am hopeful,” Sadik wanted to snort, really, he did. Roshni was a tough nut to crack. The possibility that he would believe in Christ was just as big as the one that he would believe in Allah. Which is to say, tinier than a needle point.

“Did uncle Sergei attempt to convert you?” Asked Ivan, eyes twinkling.

“He was more understanding than either of you,” Sadik allowed him a slight smile. Nikola and Ivan shared a look and Ivan spoke again.

“Well, as long as you really believe in your faith, then you are on the right path,” which was refreshing, coming from the nephew of a priest. Sadik looked at Nikola and pointed at Ivan.

“See? He gets it,” Nikola sighed.

“Well, you suggested going to church. I thought that your faith was shaky for you to have done so. But, I guess now we need to be even. If you have nothing against it, I’d like to visit the mosque,” Sadik blinked. Well, he hadn’t expected that. “And speak with the imam.”

“You don’t have to,” and, really, there were other things that Sadik wanted to do with Nikola. But he met his eyes dead on and looked determined.

“I will not pray,” said Nikola. Which was fair. Sadik had just stood there and held the candle, careful with the way not to drip on his fingers. “But I will go and see the world through your eyes.”

This was the most romantic thing Sadik had ever heard. No one had attempted to see things his way before. They attempted to make him understand, to make him fit in, in their worldview. And when he didn’t, they left. Just like Abraxas.

He shook his head to clear his thoughts, and Nikola mistook it for a refusal.

“Is there a rule that nonbelievers can’t visit?” Sadik sighed.

“If you really want to go, then fine. The imam doesn’t turn people away. But, don’t you have work today?” Nikola smiled triumphantly at Sadik, agreeing.

“I have flexible hours. Last night I couldn’t sleep, as I told you,” Ivan’s eyebrows rose, and he looked between the two. A small smile blossoming on his lips. “So, I did all the work for today. They haven't sent me anything new.”

That made sense. Sadik went to Ivan’s bedside and looked at the little cupboard next to it.

“So, Ivan, what do you do to pass the time?” Ivan pointed at the turned off TV on the wall.

“I watch TV, mostly. There is a Supernatural marathon going on. The first five seasons are the best. And, please, call me Vanya. All my friends do,” Sadik blinked at that. This man was the definition of a gentle giant.

“If you don’t mind, then I will,” Ivan clapped him on the shoulder. A gentle tap. But Sadik saw the man’s muscles. If he wanted to, he could crush bones.

“Who wants to play some dice?” Asked Sadik as he took out a single die. It was one that had no cheating mechanisms on it. Sadik’s luck was such that he didn’t need for it to be.

“We can’t. Uncle Sergei will put us on washing duty again,” said Ivan, and Sadik snorted.

“I don’t tell the imam everything. Father Sergei is not your minder. You both must know that?” Ivan looked tempted, but Nikola shook his head.

“I’d rather help in the soup kitchen, knowing I do it out of my will and not as a punishment. And, keeping secrets clogs the soul,” of course, it did. Thought Sadik. Did that mean that Sadik could pry all of Nikola’s secrets without reading his mind?

5