Chapter 11
39 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The banitsa was in the oven, filling the kitchen with a delicious scent. Sadik helped Nikola wash up everything they had used in the making of the breakfast. As Nikola washed, Sadik dried and placed every pot in the pantry.

“Why don’t you have a dishwasher?” It was relaxing to do this with Nikola, but he really didn’t see why the man didn’t have something as basic.

“I live alone, so, why do I need one?” Nikola said as if it was the logical conclusion to the question.

“What about for when you have guests?” Sadik persisted. There was some empty place between the fridge and the sink. Surely, Nikola could fit a dishwasher there?

“You are the first guest I had this year,” and that sounded sad, to Sadik.

“What about Ivan?” Because Sadik couldn’t imagine the bubbly Russian leaving Nikola alone.

“I visit his apartment. He lives next to the church, so it is better that way,” Sadik nodded and took a metal plate in which Nikola had mixed the green onions, cheese, and eggs. Drying it, he got an idea.

“How about you visit me, then? After we visit Vanya?” Sadik was already planning the day before them. It was going to be nice. They could watch a documentary that Sadik has been holding off on watching for some time. Tiger King. It had been all the rage two years ago.

“I would need to work,” Nikola sounded regretful to deny him, but, stood by his decision. “But, after, I can swing by?”

Sadik liked the hopeful note in Nikola’s voice. Then, Nikola got a thoughtful look on his face.

“Sadik, I have been taking much of your time. Won’t your firm suffer for it?” So, Nikola had assumed that Sadik had a company? Well, it wasn’t exactly like that. More like centuries upon centuries of accumulating wealth.

“I don’t work. My great-grandfather was a Sultan. And I am the only heir left to him that hasn’t been killed off,” that was a lie, but it explained Sadik’s spending to everyone. And, he never specified just how many greats were before the grandfather part.

“Oh, you are royalty?” Nikola sounded surprised. Then, he got a mischievous look in his eyes. “Your Grace, my apologies for treating you less than courteous these past days.”

Sadik grinned. Well, if Nikola felt like playing.

“I should get you in my dungeons and strap you to the rack, commoner,” Nikola chuckled.

“I beg forgiveness, your Grace,” Nikola’s eyes were comically wide, but there was a bright smile on his face.

“And when I get you to the dungeon, I will do the ancient torture method of tickling with a feather!” Sadik said in his most stern voice. Nikola burst out laughing.

“You are fun, Sadik. Never change,” a warmth spread through Sadik’s chest. This was the first time someone had told him this. He leaned in and kissed Nikola’s ear without asking. Nikola stiffened as a result.

“Sadik…” But Sadik was not listening. His teeth were around Nikola’s ear, and he slightly tugged it. “What is it with you and biting?”

Nikola’s voice wavered at the last word. He took in a deep breath when Sadik’s arms wrapped around him.

“If you don’t let me go, I’ll sprinkle you with soapy water!” Threatened, Nikola and Sadik chuckled.

“It is just that you say the most romantic things without even realizing it, lamb. I can’t help myself,” Sadik reluctantly let go of Nikola. He needed to be patient.

“You keep calling me lamb. Why?” Sadik had been wondering when Nikola would pick up on his nickname.

“You are innocent and kind. Trusting too. You welcomed me into your life and counted me as a friend without caring too much about my background. For all you know, I could be a serial killer,” Nikola chuckled, not believing it for a second. Which was awfully misguided of him. Considering that, Sadik did kill now and again. And not just during feedings, either.

“You? A serial killer? Are pigs flying outside? Good-humored, kind Sadik? You were made to bring happiness to those around you. Like a puppy,” Sadik’s eyebrow quirked. No one has ever said something like that to him. Normally, people compared him to monsters, predators. Granted, they had known the truth.

Suddenly, he didn’t want Nikola to keep thinking these things about him without knowing the truth. He wanted him to think them, knowing full well what Sadik was.

“Turn around. I want to show you something,” Nikola washed and dried his hands and turned around. “I haven’t been honest with you.”

“Your great-grandfather was not a Sultan?” Sadik nodded and Nikola sighed. “Well, you didn’t have to lie to me or explain from where you have the money. I was nosy. Sorry.”

“Not just that. Promise you won’t freak out,” Nikola tilted his head to the side and Sadik didn’t dare read his mind. He smiled reassuringly and Nikola nodded slowly.

“Well, how bad of a secret can it be?” Sadik opened his mouth and extended his fangs. Nikola took out his cross necklace from around his neck and backed away from him.

“Holly…” Sadik’s face fell. Well, this was about the time that he got shown the door. He would need to put some persuasions on Nikola, so he wouldn’t say anything. Or, well, he could always move and change his name. Again.

“I take it our friendship is over?” Sadik was bitter. He attracted two types of people when he came clean. The vampire enthusiasts, who had this fetish to be the food source of a vampire. And those who wanted to be a vampire. It seemed that Nikola was neither. Which was a pity.

“I…you are not human?” Nikola more asked than stated. “What are you?”

“A vampire, Nikola,” Sadik waited for the scared pleas for mercy to come. He was so stupid. He shouldn’t have shown Nikola his fangs.

“But, you are still you, right? Not a demon or anything?” Sadik blinked, confused. Did Nikola know nothing about vampires?

“If you remain calm, I’ll explain. We still have half an hour until the visit with Vanya,” Nikola nodded, but he left his necklace on the outside of his T-shirt. This was a start, at least.

3