Chapter 14
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ivan was happy to see them, just like yesterday. Nikola gave him the peonies and the Russian placed them on the cupboard next to the bed.

“The doctors say that I will be out of here after about two days,” Nikola visibly brightened up at that and Sadik cracked a grin.

“And then, you will stay with me, yes?” Ivan looked at Nikola with a sheepish expression.

“I really don’t think uncle Sergei will have anything against hosting me until my legs heal,” Sadik looked between them and Nikola clarified.

“It will take him time in the hospital to deal with most of the damage. But, then, he would need someone to look after him. Please help me convince him to come to my place, Sadik,” Sadik’s grin widened.

“Let Niki here nurse you back to health, Vanya. Surely, you want to avoid being around your uncle all the time? He is nice, but he’ll probably talk your ear off about the virtues you have to keep up with,” Ivan laughed at that.

“Uncle Sergei is not a nag, Sadik. But, I suppose that he could use the space to host a homeless person that couldn’t make it in the shelter. Fine, Niki, I will be in your care,” Nikola raised his hand and Sadik obliged for the high five.

“We are a good team, no?” Asked the Turk, and Nikola grinned.

“Quite,” Ivan got a big smile on his face when he noticed the boxes.

“Ivan, one is for you and the other is for your uncle. Don’t eat both of them like last time, ok?” Nikola set both of the boxes within taking range, and Ivan grabbed the topmost one.

“He brought strudels last time,” clarified Ivan for Sadik. “And, I had been surviving on hospital food for most of the time.”

“I bring you something every other day,” defended him, Nikola.

“Yes, and it is delicious. Sadik, did Niki give you some banitsa too?” Sadik nodded.

“I helped make it, in fact,” he added after a while. Ivan was eating his breakfast quickly and then, he stared at the other box with longing.

“Ivan,” said Nikola, noticing his line of sight.

“Sorry, sorry. But it was just that good,” Sadik cracked a grin at the back and forth.

“So, Ivan. Apart from doing charity work, what else do you do?” Surely, the man wrestling was simply a hobby?

“I work at an office center. I do accounting there,” Sadik nodded. That sounded good enough. “And you?”

“I live off my inheritance,” Nikola send him a look at the lie and Sadik grinned.

“Oh, what have you graduated?” Sadik hadn’t graduated from anything recently. He had gone to the American college in Istanbul a long time ago, but he knew that his diploma was no longer valid. What if Ivan got curious and wanted to see it? Was the college even still around?

“I haven’t. Just finished high school and then moved to this town to live in peace,” Ivan nodded.

“Well, you probably invest. Do you?” For that, Sadik had a team of people.

“I do. From time to time. I have shares in small businesses,” Ivan smiled at that.

“So, you are like Niki. He also doesn’t invest in big undertakings,” Sadik turned to look at Nikola.

“It is mostly small things. The church, some stores, a pet clinic,” they sounded like money sinks to Sadik, but he didn’t comment.

“I have invested in the hospital,” Nikola send him a knowing look, probably thinking how that was the way Sadik got blood in his fridge. “And a couple of luxury stores.”

Which wasn’t even half of what Sadik invested in. To be truthful, he had no idea what he owned. Apart from knowing he wouldn’t need to work for a very long time.

“Anyway, when is your uncle coming?” Asked Sadik.

“In about three hours,” answered him, Ivan.

“We can’t remain for that long,” Nikola looked at his clock. “I start work in an hour.”

“It is ok, Niki. I am sure uncle will understand. Especially after you made him breakfast. When I come to your place, can you make me those breads you make? The fried ones with powdered sugar?” Nikola sighed.

“Fine, fine. I will. Anything else?” Ivan became thoughtful, and then he looked back and forth, as if afraid that someone would scold him.

“And, can you slip me some vodka?” Nikola frowned.

“You know that you can’t drink because of the painkillers,” Nikola’s voice was scolding, and Sadik grinned. He wanted to hear it more often. It made Nikola all the more adorable.

“Oh, come on, Niki! Sadik, help me out here,” Sadik just shook his head.

“No can do, big guy. What if you end up back in here? I’ll even help Nikola hide all his alcohol from you,” Ivan looked defeated at that.

“I don’t drink,” said Nikola, nose scrunched up at the implications.

“You don’t?” Haven’t they drunk something in the curry shop?

“I don’t. It is a vice and I don’t like indulging in those,” stated Nikola as if he had rehearsed this sentence many a time.

“Niki, if you didn’t say romantic stuff all the time, I would have told you that you are boring now,” Sadik’s tone was teasing and Nikola caught up on the fact.

“Yes, well, I have been told I am on a high horse,” Nikola stared at Ivan.

“Those weren’t my words, precisely. I just called you very upstanding. And I meant it as a compliment back then. Anyway, I think it is time for me to go see Tatiana,” Ivan pressed the button for the nurses.

“Tired of us already?” Asked Nikola with a grin.

“A bit, old man. But Sadik is fun, albeit a traitor,” Sadik chuckled and turned to look at Nikola, who was bristling.

“Yes, well, you are a man-child,” Nikola then turned around and was just about to exit, when Ivan called after him.

“Niki, I didn’t mean it as an insult. You know I was just teasing?” Nikola turned back and Ivan threw a pillow at him when he saw Nikola’s bright smile.

“Violence is never the answer,” said Sadik sagely, before getting a pillow to the face as well.

3