Chapter 16
39 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nikola’s eyes zeroed in on the table and then on the scented candle.

“You really shouldn’t have,” he said, uncomfortably.

“Nonsense. I want to sweep you off your feet. So, I have to make sure I don’t pull any stops,” Sadik pulled Nikola’s chair and the Bulgarian sat down.

“You are serious about this?” He stared at the rich food before him, then his green eyes met Sadik’s brown ones. “This is not a game for you?”

“Never has been,” reassured him Sadik, and he sat down.

“I didn’t ask you if you’d like lamb…” Sadik internally frowned at this slight oversight.

“I like it well enough,” Nikola took his fork and the knife and cut a piece. “What souse did you use?”

The lamb was a gentle orange color with brown edges. Juices flowed from it as Nikola cut up the morsel.

“Curry, but not too spicy. Now this,” said Sadik as he pointed to a small bowl next to his plate. “Is the thing you said would kill me. The one from the curry shop.”

Nikola eyed the bowl as if it was going to bite him.

“I take it your taste receptors are dead?” Sadik nodded.

“Which is a blessing, seeing as I can eat spicy food that lands other people in the hospital,” Sadik smirked proudly and Nikola smiled.

“Yes, well, that sounds like an unfair advantage,” Sadik grinned and cut up his meat. Then, he dipped some in the curry and ate it.

“Can’t see what you dislike about it. It is perfectly good, in my eyes,” Sadik enjoyed the look of disbelief on Nikola’s face. Then, he decided to tease some more. “Me liking spicy food just means I am a fiery person. Do you not agree?”

“You are certainly something. Imaginative, stubborn, charismatic,” Sadik preened under the praise.

“And you are lovely too. Albeit too hard on yourself,” said Sadik as Nikola blushed. “Tell me, how come you are still single?”

Because, no matter how Sadik wanted for them to be a couple, they were yet to become one. But he was hopeful that they would happen. And, that it would happen tonight.

“Well, people just think I am a prude and too uptight,” which was right, as far as Sadik was concerned. However, that, too, had its charms.

“I think you are just fine, as you are now,” and Sadik wasn’t lying. He was sure that, in a couple of months, or, after the wedding at the latest, Nikola would relax around him fully.

“Yes, well, you seem to have a spell over you. For some reason, you seem to like, like me,” Sadik grinned at the adolescence way of putting things.

“You are the one who bewitched me. Now, how many days’ worth of washing duty is that?” Nikola’s eyes twinkled.

“I think a week. But, if you tell father Sergei that I continue to bewitch you, I think my days will be filled with washing,” Sadik leaned over the table, looking at Nikola like a conspirator.

“I don’t have anything against keeping mum, but, can I get a kiss in return? And, for you to stay the night?” Nikola looked nervously around, and Sadik was quick to add. “Just to sleep. No different from last night. I behaved, didn’t I?”

“You did,” agreed Nikola, and then he leaned over. “I suppose that a bit more washing will make father Sergei happy, if it was done because of a kiss.”

“Yes, nothing wrong with that,” Sadik placed a hand at the nape of Nikola’s neck and brought him the rest of the way. Nikola’s kiss was as sweet as ever. Sadik enjoyed himself and, when Nikola gently tugged himself away, smiled wistfully.

They finished eating in silence, and Sadik checked the time. It was midnight and Nikola looked half asleep.

“Come on, let us go and sleep already,” Nikola picked his plate and piled his fork and knife inside.

“Surely, you won’t just leave the dirty dishes behind?” Sadik had that intention. The housekeeper came by every day. But, he needed to make a good impression.

“Let us go. We just need to pile them in the dishwasher,” Sadik took his plate, knife and fork and they both went to the kitchen. Then, they went back for the glasses and Sadik’s curry bowl. Sadik turned on the dishwasher and scooped Nikola bridal style.

Suddenly, Nikola looked more aware.

“Sadik, you don’t have to,” Sadik just laughed and bounced Nikola slightly.

“I won’t drop you, lamb. Come on. I want us to cuddle,” he carried Nikola to his bedroom, and then placed him under the sheets. Nikola fit right in with Sadik’s room. Sadik went inside the bed and hugged him close.

“Sadik, I had a pleasant evening,” said Nikola after he yawned.

“Glad to hear it, lamb. I am attempting to butter you until you hear wedding bells, after all,” Nikola nuzzled closer to Sadik and sighed.

“Hearing them won’t be bad, if you are the one who waits at the altar,” Sadik chuckled.

“We will have only a citizen marriage. That way, neither of us will have to get married in a religious building that worships a different God,” Nikola closed his eyes and his breathing evened out.

Sadik played with his hair for a time, then, imagined Nikola all decked in white. A nice suit, something that was an established brand. Tailored to Nikola’s frame. Something tight hugging.

The image made Sadik smile, and he pressed his lips to Nikola’s ear. The man didn’t stir, so, Sadik thought that it would be safe to kiss the earlobe. He did so, and Nikola shifted in his sleep.

Sadik stood in place and, when Nikola’s eyes didn’t open, he hugged him tighter. Tomorrow was Saturday and, seeing as he just went to the mosques on Sundays, he could go with Nikola to church.

Then, he would listen in on his confession to the priest. Nikola had not told Ivan, but, maybe, he could tell the priest. If he did so, then Sadik would have to wipe father Sergei’s memory. Priests and vampires didn’t mix. Sadik knew that from experience. 

3