Chapter 34
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sadik had killed the snake by bashing its head on a tree. But, Nikola was on the ground, trashing. Sadik knew he had to get out the poison, but he didn’t have a cup and something to heat it with. So, he decided to suck it out.

The worst that could happen to him was getting an indigestion from the poison. He got Nikola’s shoe off and then his sock. The bitten place was an angry purple color.

Sadik bend down and began to suck out the poison, taking pauses to spit it to the side. When the only thing that he sucked out was blood, he took out his wristband and tied it around Nikola’s ankle. Then, he placed the sock and shoe back on and rested Nikola against a tree, placing the sweater he had packed under the man’s head.

He had a hand pressed on Nikola’s chest, over his heart. The heartbeat was there, but weak. He knew he would need to go to the hospital, but, if he moved Nikola, he might help the poison spread. He looked around.

The surrounding forest rustled and there was a cool breeze ruffling the pines. He hugged Nikola and took out his rosary from his pocket. He felt like now was as good as time as ever for some divine help.

Nikola woke just as the sun set, much to Sadik’s relief. Sadik had prayed the entire time, hand resting on Nikola’s chest, so he could feel for the heartbeat. Nikola was groggy, and he tried to stand, only to hiss in pain.

“I take it your ankle hurts?” Nikola nodded, looking at his left foot.

“See what happens when I don’t confess my sins?” Sadik snorted. They were on the way to the snake’s burrow, probably, and that was why Nikola ended up getting bitten.

“Well, all the more reasons why you shouldn’t confess. Considering you got punished for it already,” Sadik grinned, then, they heard a wolf’s howl in the distance.

“No, I am confessing. I think neither of us can survive being digested by wolves. You should confess to the imam too,” Sadik groaned. Well, if this were what would put Nikola at ease, then, he would do it.

“Was the snake going to kill you?” Sadik would have worried even if that was not the case, but, for his peace of mind in the future, he needed to know.

“No, only old age will,” Sadik nodded, relieved, and then got Nikola on his back piggyback style.

“You can’t walk, so don’t complain,” Nikola buried his face in Sadik’s shoulder with a sigh.

“I wasn’t going to. Let it not be said I don’t appreciate you. You are a good soul, Sadik,” Sadik took the backpack with his other hand and moved back towards the cottage.

“How do you feel?” He asked, voice seeped in worry.

“Not too good. I think I have a fever,” Sadik nodded and quickened his step. He passed by the blueberry bushes, and then it was another half an hour until they were home. Sadik kept silent during the entire time, his stomach a ball of nerves.

Nikola had nearly died on him. Sure, Nikola said that only old age could kill him, but, what if he hadn’t known the extent of his endurance? Then again, Uriel hadn’t come, like the times of before. Maybe Sadik was just being a worry wart.

Sadik placed Nikola on the bed and Nikola closed his eyes. He was asleep soon after and Sadik placed his hand on Nikola’s chest, feeling for the reassuring heartbeat which had gotten stronger.

He smiled, reassured, and closed his eyes for a nap. Furthermore, he woke at two am because Nikola was trashing in his sleep. He delved in the man’s mind and found a hazy dream of Sadik getting torn to pieces by a wolf pack. Sadik gently shook Nikola away. There was a stray tear on Nikola’s cheek.

“That won’t happen,” Nikola’s hands found Sadik’s face, and he began to feel it up. As if trying to reassure himself that Sadik was still alive and there.

“Promise me you will go to the mosque,” another tear fell down Nikola’s cheek and Sadik brushed it off.

“I promise. And I will spill my guts to the imam. Just don’t cry, lamb,” Nikola blinked, as if just realizing he had been crying. He tried to wipe his face clean of the tears, but Sadik grabbed his hand and kissed each finger. “Lamb, what am I going to do with you? You are so pure. I feel like I am dirtying you by just being near you.”

Nikola began to shake his head.

“You are not bad, Sadik. You are a good man,” Sadik grinned at that. Nikola was convinced that there was something good in Sadik. The Turk was glad to know at least one person who knew the truth about him thought that.

“We can go tomorrow,” said Sadik, then he looked at the sheet covered legs of Nikola. “After we get you looked at in the hospital.”

“No need,” there was a slight light enveloping Nikola’s leg, and he sighed. “I haven’t done this for so long that I forgot I could.”

Sadik smiled brightly as one of Nikola’s legs hooked around Sadik’s.

“It is good to see that you are better, lamb,” Sadik took a hold of Nikola and brought him closer. “You should have done that sooner.”

Nikola grinned sheepishly.

“I guess I panicked. Then, the poison did its work. It was good that you were there. My hero,” Sadik preened under the praise, and he kissed Nikola’s forehead lightly.

“Always, lamb. Just for you,” Nikola’s eyes closed as he snuggled closer. Sadik let Nikola’s now normal heartbeat lull him into a nap. Happy that Nikola was well — now.

But, today’s episode made him worried. Nikola had been hurt. A bite like that couldn’t have done anything to a vampire. Nikola had to see sense. For both of their sake.   

0