Chapter 18: Unwritten Fate
71 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I just wanted to show more fan art. There is a lot more fan art but it’s such a hassle to post it here that I just don’t.

This is fan art of Al! I think it’s absolutely adorable! One of my readers made it and I love it!

 

I piled my plate with pancakes and sliced fruits and grabbed a bowl of cereal. I drenched the pancakes in butter and jam, with a dash of sugar. For the cereal, I added ten different variations, and of course, poured the milk first. Oden looked at my meal in disgust.

“What is that…?”

“My breakfast,” I replied, taking a bite of the pancakes. Feeling them melt in my mouth, I sighed in delight and scooped up a bit of the cereal, thoroughly enjoying it. Oden kept watching with his nose scrunched up.

“Let’s never eat here again.”

Usually, we had breakfast in the apartment as it was easier. But somebody forgot to buy food so there was nothing to eat. Kieran blamed Hina and Hina blamed Jake. Jake blamed himself. 

That’s why Oden and I went to the school cafeteria. The breakfast was surprisingly delicious. Maybe I should go here more often?

“Don’t even think about going here again.” Oden threatened and I smiled sheepishly.

“But it’s good!”

“You eat like a starving cat. I’ve never seen someone shove three pancakes in their mouth at once.” He shuddered. 

I ignored his comments and began to eat my apple slices. Oden grumbled as he munched on his breakfast.

The conversation died down. The cafeteria was large, enough to fit half of the school (though not everyone at ate the same time), and there were a lot of students enjoying their breakfast. 

Finishing my apples, I turned to the window. I’d picked a window seat because I could see the Fountain of Fortune from there. Staring at the fountain from afar, I saw something blur past me from the corner of my eyes. 

The calm cafeteria grew rowdy when students began pointing and yelling about the commotion that just occurred.

A girl was floating on the ground—no, she was riding one of the water skateboards that could be seen all across Lore. She speedily passed a few students that were heading inside. It would’ve been a normal sight.

Had it not been for three professors chasing after her. Their shoutings were inaudible, but the rage on their faces was visible. All three of them used different spells to catch up. The one on the left looked to be using a wind spell, seeing how her hair blew wildly behind her. The one on the right was riding on a large wolf, the size of a car. The wolf was baring its teeth as it slowly caught up. The one in the middle used a familiar spell, [Flash Steps] if I recall correctly. It was a short teleportation spell that allowed the user to increase their speed as they stepped, and it appeared as though they were flashing in and out of existence. 

The girl was losing speed as the three were gaining in on her. But the chase looked to be finished as they encountered a group of huddling students blocking their path. One of the professors smirked. But the girl’s smile was even bigger.

She sped up and jumped

The water skateboard turned in the air, causing her to do a front flip, barely avoiding collision with the students. She landed perfectly, zigzagging away with a grin. 

The professor couldn’t catch up in time and she disappeared from view. Seeing such a dramatic chase, I nearly let out a laugh. It looked like something out of a movie. Though, looking back on it, her control of the water board was incredible. She managed to flip in the air, and still maintain its shape. I’ve seen students attempt the spell and even poking it caused the board to collapse on the floor, becoming ordinary water. 

“Show off,” Oden murmured, crossing his arms. He continued to stare out, clearly anticipating another exciting chase. Smiling, I sat next to him for a while, keeping my gaze on the nearly empty fountain.


 

I split up with Oden. I’d found an opportunity to go to the now-empty fountain. I had to be quick! I began running as soon as I left the cafeteria. It would take me two minutes to reach it. Surely, in two minutes, nobody would—?

Damn it!” I let out as I saw the fountain that was occupied once more. I’d been struggling a lot with spells so I desperately needed the fountain to learn enough spells. But now I couldn’t even access the best cheat in the game?!

“So it was you… I knew it!” A vaguely familiar voice said. I stealthily hid behind one of the trees, eavesdropping.

“Listen, it was all a misunderstanding. As an apology, I wanted to make it up to you.” The other person said. I heard ruffling and wanted to peek out. But I was worried that they might discover me.

“What is that…?”

“Something that’ll help you with spellcasting. It’s quite popular among apprentices so it might help you.”

“Why would you give something like this to me?”

“I told you, it’s an apology!”

“Then consider your apology not accepted.” I heard a smack, and then the stomping of feet. My curiosity grew too much and I peeked out. I saw a male student who looked surprised. On his feet were what looked like two candies. And the one walking away, with an agitated expression was… Al?

I was surprised at the reveal, that I didn’t have time to hide behind my tree. The other male student jerked his head in my direction and we met eyes. I gave him an awkward smile.

“Did I just intrude? Sorry about that.” I slowly began to walk away from the tree. The upperclassman shook his head.

“I know you just overhead everything. I was wondering why you decided to stay and listen, but you must know that boy, right?” My heart shook. 

“N-no—“

“Your eyes lingered on him far too long. You can’t fool me.” He didn’t let me reply as he let out a bitter laugh.

“Could you give this to him?” He picked up the wrapped candies and handed them to me. I blinked at them.

“What is that?” The upperclassmen pursed his lips.

“It’s… candies that can increase your control with mana. It’s nothing special, I just wanted to help him.”

“Why?” I couldn’t help but ask.

“Well, one reason is that we live in the same apartment so I want to get along. The other reason is… none of your business.” 

We stared at each other. I looked down, before sighing.

“Fine. I’ll give it to him. You must’ve done something pretty horrible to make him that upset.” He averted his gaze.

“Not really… more like I was a bit too thoughtless and said something I regret. Don’t tell him those are from me, okay?”

“Sure,” 

The upperclassmen thanked me and waved me goodbye and I was left alone. Realizing that this was an excellent opportunity to make a wish, I walked closer to the fountain.

But I stopped, nearly bumping into somebody. The girl took a step back, gasping.

“Sorry about that, I couldn’t see where I was walking.” I would’ve responded, but I was tongue-tied when I saw the person behind her. The person accompanying her peered at me.

“It’s fine. I was about to leave either way.” The girl looked disappointed.

“Oh, what a pity. I wanted to ask if you wanted to eat with us, Rael.” I shook my head, before pausing.

“How do you know my name?” The girl froze as well. She slowly spoke.

“Uh… my friend here likes to talk about you a lot—“ Ru shot her a fierce glare and she shut up. I looked at him and waved awkwardly.

“Hi, Ru.” He looked at me.

“Hello.”

This is so awkward…

Turning my back, I made an excuse. “Well I have to hurry, it was nice meeting you and Ru.” She waved as I hastily made my escape. So much for trying to go to the fountain…


 

Ru watched the girl sitting in front of him. She was munching on her meal, looking contended. But he knew it was all a ploy.

“So that was Rael, huh?” She spoke, glancing up at him. Ru tensed up before nodding. “Interesting… I wanted to talk with him, but he seemed to be in a hurry. So much for creating a new personality too…”

Ru didn’t respond, stirring his cup of coffee. She continued mulling over her regrets. “Too bad. So, are you done with recruiting?” 

“Yes, all but one has consumed the vial.” She nodded, before giving him a teasing smile.

“My, my, offering them ‘private lectures’ and spiking their drinks. You sure are scummy.” Ru glared at her again, causing her to giggle. “I guess I shouldn’t say anything as I resort to even scummier options.”

Ru felt a part of him react to that. He was angry over what she said. But that anger vanished as quickly as it appeared.

“It doesn’t matter. It was necessary for their success.” 

“I’m glad that you agree.”

They sat in silence for a while. Ru thought back to when he bumped into Rael. Though it was brief, there were waves of emotions that rushed through him. Emotions that he thought he’d lost that night. Anger, regret, guilt, and anguish. It bubbled up before evaporating into the air. He gazed at Rael, like a hunter watching his prey, ready to deliver a killing blow.

Not yet.

Feeling himself grow agitated, he took a deep breath. There was only one student left and then Rael wouldn’t be able to hide.

“What happens if I fail to kill him?” Ru asked. He didn’t have to worry about anyone hearing them. They’d long since used illusion magic. There were few powerful enough to see through the illusions of two ordinary students dining as they talked. And if they did, Ru and she both had emergency teleportation scrolls.

She paused while drinking.

“Then we’ll finish the job. After all, he’s a halfling who’s survived this long.” Baring her teeth, she looked at him. “Even if you decide to back out, the boy will die sooner or later. Had it not been for your impatience, I might’ve waited with killing him. After all, he’s quite the amusing fellow to watch.” 

He clenched his jaw. “Don’t approach him. Even though we’re allies, I won’t be civil if you step out of bounds.” She raised her hands, looking surprised.

“Calm down! I won’t touch him, gee. I was merely intrigued.”

She licked her lips as she stared at her food. Ru knew what that expression meant. She was hungry. The plate with rare steaks wasn't enough to satisfy her anymore. Her bloodlust was rising.

Ru ignored the goosebumps on his arms. When she was struck by hunger, it was best to not converse with her. For if he upset her, he might find himself being painfully taken apart and eaten by this human-devouring monster.

Drinking his cold coffee, he looked away. She stood up from the table, her face flushed. She was heading to her room to feast. Those who are unfaithful or worthless to them had only one fate. To be consumed by those who are stronger.

Literally and figuratively.


 

When the last lesson finished, I slowly walked out, yawning. I told my friends to walk home without me as I had other plans. I was headed to the library, with my head hung down.

I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Rael!”

Suddenly, I was embraced. Seeing the brown hair, I smiled.

“Wei,” I said fondly.

“I’ve been looking for you everywhere! There are too many first-years so I only found you now. Ah, wait, let’s hurry and leave.” He began dragging me away, his eyes darting around nervously.

“Hm, why?”

I felt a breeze and looked back to see a familiar sprinting towards us. He shouted, growing closer.

“Wei, you bastard!” Wei let go of my arm and leaped back.

“I just wanted to spend time with him first. I knew you might try to steal him away from me!” Heath sneered at Wei as he approached me. Finally, he looked at me. His scrunched eyebrows relaxed and he smiled.

“It’s been a while, Rael.” He said.

“Yeah. Last time I saw you was when you were being scolded by an Archmage.” I replied. I felt satisfaction when Heath grew embarrassed. He scratched his cheek while murmuring.

“It was all Crille’s fault…”

Wei cut him off. “Alright, I don’t care about you Heath. Rael, how have you been? Is school going well for you? Do you have any friends? What about enemies?” Wei bombarded me with questions as he dismissed Heath.

“I’m well, yes, yes, and yes,” I replied, causing Wei to gasp.

“Enemies this early? Who did you offend? I mean I know you’re annoying but this is…” 

Punching him, I replied; “I didn’t do anything, I’m innocent. It’s more like potential enemies.” He raised his eyebrows.

“Enemies… as in love rivals? Has my little brother fallen in love?” My mouth was agape. How did he know about love rivals? But he seemed to misunderstand something. I wasn’t a participant.

Heath seemed surprised as well. “I thought that you liked Ru?” I grew speechless once more. What was with this bizarre situation?

Wei narrowed his eyes. “No, he obviously likes a girl. Look at his eyes. Rael would fall in love with a pure, clumsy girl who can protect him.” I was impressed that he figured (the previous) Rael’s preference so well. 

Heath crossed his arms. “Oh please. He proposed to Ru. Not to mention, did you see how distraught he became when we found out that the Tiqr’s royal family was assassinated? He stayed in his room for a whole week, depressed.” The misunderstandings were growing worse. He was completely right but not in that context! Before I could correct him, Wei rebutted.

“No. I’m sure he was just saddened for Ru as a friend would.”

“What are you, a historian? What do you know? Seeing how you made up his preference, how are you so confident that he’s fallen in love with this ‘mystery’ girl?”

“Look at his eyes! Previously, they were empty as he lacked a brain but now, you can almost see something growing there—“ He dodged my punch, continuing. “—and he’s using whatever little he has in his brain to compete for her heart.” 

Heath was flabbergasted. “It sounds like you’re writing a novel.”

“I’ve always been quite creative, maybe I should write one?”

“Please don’t, I’ve seen your handwriting and it looks like one of the dead languages from the dark age.”

Wei looked offended. The two continued to bicker as I stood and watched. I finally clapped my hands, and they both turned to me.

“Stop fighting. Since you’re both here, I need your help.”

Heath blinked.

“With what?”


 

I flipped through my book, occasionally stopping to glance at my new wand. Heath and Wei had helped me pick out a new one because ‘even seeing that horrible wand of yours makes my skin crawl’.

They took to competing to see who could find the best wand for me. Wei thought the higher the price, the better the quality, while Heath wanted to save money and find a hidden gem with wands that cost less than three digits. Both of them presented their wands, confident.

Wei held a wand that cost all of the money I’d brought with me, while Heath held a wand that looked like it would snap in half if I breathed on it. Both of them were too busy competing to realize that their choices were an inconvenience to me. Instead of picking a winner, I asked an employer for any advice and they chose a wand that resembled a long finger. Though it looked ominous, I quite liked it and decided to buy it. 

I spent the rest of the day appeasing my saddened brothers, as they grumbled that I didn’t pick any of their choices. 

Thinking back to it, I’d wasted my time asking them for help…

Sighing, I closed the book. It was impossible to focus. I returned the book and walked out of the library. Walking back home, I looked back at the Academy.

Lore Academy was open from 5 am to 12 am. After midnight, no one is allowed inside. I purposefully walked slowly, taking in the sight before me, before continuing my walk.

The only way to make a wish was to go there at night. And why not go after the school had locked down? Since there would not be anyone to bother me then. With a smile, I quickened my pace, eager for the clock to strike twelve.


 

I adjusted my clothes. They were dark, so I wouldn’t stand out too much. Even though Lore Academy was locked, that didn’t mean that the streets of Lore were asleep too. They seemed even livelier, lighting up the streets with their magical trinkets and mouth-watering meals.

Swallowing nervously, I passed by the street, darting around so as not to be discovered. As it was dark, I kept repeatedly tripping over tree roots, cursing every time I fell. By the sixth time, I was growing annoyed.

Finally, I saw the fountain. Watching it cautiously, I made sure to check that it was vacant. No Saint? What about a Ru? 

I stopped crouching, the coast was clear. I approached the fountain, taking a deep breath. I was nervous. While I’d done it in the game, I didn’t know if everything was the same.

I dug in my pockets, taking out a gold coin. To meet the entity that lives in the fountain, you had to do a simple ritual. I clasped my hands.

“May I have the fortune to meet with you,” I muttered, opening my eyes to throw the gold coin. I watched in slow motion as the gold coin struck the water, causing it to ripple.

The ripples spread through the fountain. The water began to move more and more, before finally bursting into the sky, creating pillars. The water covered everything around the fountain, and I felt myself get dragged closer to the (now empty) fountain. With a scream, I fell through the fountain.

I felt my body land on something soft and opened my eyes wide.

A large table was in front of me, though it was nearly as tall as me. I was seated on a chair, in a palace made only out of gold and gems. Towering pillars made out of gold, so tall that it hurt my neck to look up at them. 

The table was long and bronze, with twelve chairs surrounding it. The back of each chair dazzled with the gems and shone with white light. There were strange outlines on them that drew my attention for a fraction of a second.

But my attention quickly returned to the figure that had been silently observing me. My body tensed up as I faced the ruler of the mysterious fountain. Their skin was as dark as the night, wearing an almost see-through white robe that did nothing to hide their toned stomach. They had their legs crossed, head tilted up, while expressionless. Their long dark blue hair flowed down the throne, lying on the spotless gold tile floor.

I felt their eyes on me, even though their iris were the same color as their eye whites. I swallowed, bowing my head.

“By your will.” The person who sat by the large throne, just meters away from me, was a Blessed of one of the three Gods. Those who become Blessed are granted another title.

Demigod.

The demigod tapped their finger on their throne, seemingly thinking. My heart raced quickly as I tried to calm down. I didn’t remember the demigod being this intimidating. They were using their aura to keep me in place, I couldn’t move a single muscle. I was terrified, trying to not tremble in place as the demigod thought of what to do with me.

“I hadn’t expected any mortal to still know of the ritual. Why is it that you knew of it, human?” Their voice was deep, and their eyes stayed on me. I opened my mouth after a moment of hesitation.

“It is a ritual that I do to grow closer to the gods. I hadn’t expected any results, however.”

Even though you continuously appeared here, as though you were waiting for an opportunity to perform the ritual?” I swallowed. I opened my mouth, wanting to explain when the demigod flicked their hand.

Nay, speak no more lies. Whatever your reasoning is, you show no hostility. Whether deliberate or on purpose, you are now here. Speak. What is it that you wish for?” They spoke again, still staring at me with a blank expression.

I bit my lip, thinking deeply about what I needed the most right now. The demigod could grant impossible wishes, though it’d come with a hefty price. They could grant as many wishes as you wanted, but for every wish, they took a part of your vitality. 

I wasn’t too worried, however. I’d risk my entire life if it meant saving the world. But even if I risked over fifty potential years of my life, I still wouldn’t be good enough.

Every human had a different worth. If a commoner were to make a wish, even a simple wish as having a fortune of money to the demigod, they would drop dead the second the exchange was finished. 

For the demigod belonged to the God of Fate. They could see the worth of your past, present, and future. By granting your wish, there had to be an interest for both parties. If your fate was interesting, it would merely take a few years of your life to wish for stronger magic abilities or something similar. But if you were an ordinary human, you would drop dead. Only mages could make a wish and live. But mages had different worth in their fates too.

Someone like Ophelia could wish for a ridiculously overpowered ability, and only 5-10 years would vanish from her ‘potential life expectancy’. But if I were to do the same, I might die.

That’s why I had to be cautious about what I asked for. I wasn’t sure what Rael’s worth was, but it couldn’t be a lot. 

I raised my head, finally deciding on my wish. I only needed one wish granted, for now, so there was only one thing to wish for.

“I wish for an increase in magic and understanding of magic.” The demigod didn’t blink as they raised their hand.

Is that all? You may ask for more.

“That’s all for now.”

A light materialized in their hand, glowing. The demigod put it in front of me. 

Consume it.” I nervously stared at the glowing orb. I picked up the weightless orb and carefully put it in my mouth. Feeling warmth go down my body, I shivered.

The transaction is—“ The demigod began before stopping. They were staring at me, surprised.

I quickly patted my body, feeling nothing strange happening. What was wrong?

Why can’t I seem to view your fate?” 

A chill went down my spine. I stared at the demigod in surprise. A blessed of the God of Fate had failed to see my fate. What did that mean? Why couldn’t they see it?

They narrowed their eyes, leaning closer. Their large body that towered over me was now just a meter from me. Their large eyes were focused at the very center of my body. They looked to be reading something before stopping.

Impossible… how can I not view your fate? What are you?” It looked at me and I couldn’t respond. The pressure from their body had begun crushing me. I failed to breathe as the pressure grew. 

The demigod noticed that they’d lost control of their emotions and calmed down. The pressure vanished and I gasped, trying to breathe again. I stared at the demigod wide-eyed.

“I—“ 

I felt the estate rumble. The expression on the demigod abruptly changed. They placed one of their fingers on my chest, looking alarmed.

Leave, now. I’ll receive my payment in due time. Having a fate that’s not viewable is never good. Either you’re a blessing that will turn the world on its head—“

The building shook again, and I heard crackling from outside as if something was trying to invade. The demigod spoke even faster, “Or you’re a calamity that will ruin the fragile stability of this world, consuming it as you surpass man, entity, and even the gods themselves.

I met their white eyes, staring deeply into their gray pupils. “As I’m not sure of which one you are, I can’t kill you until I confirm the fact. But if you are any danger…” The pressure on my body weighed me down, and I struggled to breathe once more.

Then I’ll get rid of anything that harms this world.” The pressure vanished as I felt something grab me from behind. The demigod that was close to me turned their large body, facing whatever was invading their estate. But I heard the last words that they murmured before the walls of the estate collapsed.

…if it’s not already too late.

The last thing I saw was a large eye, the size of a building. My heart stopped, before I jumped up, gasping for air. I had returned from the fountain, but all of the emotions that I’d just felt were assaulting me. Hugging myself, I tried calming down. I stared at the fountain with fear, taking steps back.

It had been a mistake. I was foolish to have thought that the fountain would help me. Instead, I’d nearly been killed three times, by a demigod that could easily snap me in two.

Shivering, I began to run away from the fountain. I didn’t want to return there ever again. I deeply regretted having visited. Not only was I labeled as a threat, but the demigod seemed intent on killing me.

And what was the thing that I’d seen just moments before? A creature with an eye that large…? I stopped running, feeling my head throb. It hurt too much trying to remember the sight. Every time I envisioned the eye, I was hit with a horrible headache.

I shook my head, knowing that whatever happened there, shouldn’t have been seen. 

Still feeling scared, I continued to run through the trees, hoping nothing was chasing me. As it was dark, I couldn’t see anything. Carelessly running, I bumped into something, falling to my butt. Thinking it was a tree, I stood up, preparing to run again.

“What are you doing?” Hearing a voice, my head snapped to face them. Geo was looking at me with an indescribable expression. I could barely recognize him.

“I was just going for a walk. It’s a lovely night after all.” I lied, forcing a smile on my face. I side-stepped him.

“It was loving meeting you but it’s growing late—“

Geo interrupted me with a frown.

“Why are you shaking like a leaf?” I stared at him, confused. Only then did it click that my body was still shivering. It seemed that what had just happened still affected me. I let out a laugh.

“It’s really cold. That’s why I wanted to go inside…” I said, lowering my trembling hand. I didn’t want to bother him further. Geo clicked his tongue, taking off his jacket. He raised it and I stared at it.

“Here. Take it. You’re cold, aren’t you?” I hesitantly grabbed the jacket.

“Ah, yes.” I held it in my hands, not knowing what to do with it.

“Put it on or you’ll catch a cold.” I saw him scowl and carefully put it on. Strangely, my body which had been unconsciously trembling relaxed. I still felt uneasy but being in the company of Geo had calmed me.

I stared at him. He brushed a lock of hair off the way, mumbling something under his breath as he stared at the ground.

I hadn’t been paying him much attention, but something about him was familiar. It felt as though I’d met him before.

“Geo?”

He raised his head.

“Yes?”

I smiled at him. Weirdly enough, it felt like this was the second time I owed him. As though he’d helped me previously. I shook that strange thought away. 

“Thank you.”

He stared at me. And then he pushed his bangs from his face, staring at the ground.

“It’s nothing.” He looked embarrassed. I let out a laugh, poking his shoulder repeatedly before he slapped my hand away.

He insisted on walking me to my apartment.

“What if you get scare—er, cold again?” He said.

So he knew that I was scared? He just pretended not to. I hugged the jacket closer to me.

“I’m fine.” I tried insisting but he wasn’t taking no for an answer. So we walked together to my apartment in silence. I didn’t know what to say, and he looked to be in deep thought.

Finally reaching the building, I took off the jacket, handing it to him. He stared at it, confused.

“Your jacket?” He pushed the jacket closer to me.

“It’s fine. You can keep it.”

Frowning, I raised it again.

“No, no, it’s yours. I feel guilty that you also followed me home.” Geo shook his head.

“I don’t need it. Just, wear it next time you're cold. It seemed to make you warm again.” I couldn’t help but crack a smile.

“Yes, it did calm me down.” 

Since he didn’t seem to want the jacket, I held it. Geo gave me a nod, turning to leave.

“Wait, Geo.” He stopped.

I clenched my fist, hesitating about what to say. “Have we met before?”

His head turned, and our eyes met. His yellow eyes flickered and he seemed to be hesitating on what to say.

“And if we have?” 

I didn’t expect that answer. Facing him, I gave him my honest opinion.

“Then I’d like to get to know you again. I don't know how we met, but I want to become friends with you” I smiled shyly. 

He stared at me for a while, speechless. Waiting for his response, I tried to figure out who he might be. Had I briefly met with him? Who was he?

“No.” He replied, walking away. Not waiting for my response, he was already gone. I was left alone. I stared in the direction he left.

He was lying. He knew me. But for some reason, he was unwilling to tell me the truth. Feeling disappointed, I entered the apartment building. 

Who was he, and what were his motives? I couldn’t answer the two questions in my head as I slowly walked up the steps. 

I’m super sorry for the late update. I’ve been so busy and stressed with work and school. But now I only need to focus on school, thankfully! There won’t be another chapter until next week.

Thanks for reading!

3