5. An unwanted promotion
1.1k 7 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thinking about this retrospectively, I knew absolutely nothing about my classmates' divine wishes.

I had asked to become an NPC, which evidently separated me from the rest of my class. Instead of being teleported during the Hero Summoning Ritual, I woke up in the body of Hanamarie Stilaria, an ordinary maid who worked in the royal palace. Perhaps some of my rogue classmates asked for something similar, and their requests disqualified them from joining the main group. 

However, I was genuinely surprised to hear that so much of my class was missing.

Were there really so many of us who wanted to leave the main group?

This wasn't what I expected, and I wasn't even sure if I could name ten other students that were obvious antisocial loners.

I mean, aside from myself...

—Maybe there was Lu Aduo, Yan Tianri...?

No...

It was a waste of energy to speculate. 

It would be easier to figure out who was missing once I confirmed which classmates were in the Summoning Ritual group.

That said, did it really even matter? Was it even my business to pry into this mystery?

I sighed deeply as I made my way back from the Prime Minister's room.

I had asked to become a NPC because I wanted nothing to do with my classmates. Like many teenagers, I had read my fair share of isekai novels, and I was fairly annoyed when I first discovered that I would be transmigrated into a shared world together with all of my high school classmates. Obviously, I would have preferred a solo isekai experience, and I wanted something low-key and easygoing instead of an epic fantasy with demon lords and evil monsters threatening to destroy humanity.

To put it plainly, I just wanted to enjoy my new life peacefully.

Since this was the case, shouldn't I just pretend that Zhang Guiyu never existed?

It's not like I have anything positive to say about my former life.

Perhaps I would be happier if I act like I don't recognize my classmates?

I could even roleplay.

My name is Hanamarie Stilaria, and I'm a totally ordinary maid!

I'm just a maid! I can roleplay like a regular maid with no special features, and I only need to keep my head down and avoid drawing attention to myself. Once I immerse myself entirely in Hana's psyche, I'd be able to imagine myself as Hana and pretend that I'm just an ordinary 20-year-old peasant woman who's always lived in this world. Then, I'll never need to worry about my classmates again.

I clapped my cheeks lightly to focus.

Focus!

What would Hana do in this situation??

What would Hana say and think??

+ + +

I was so preoccupied with my absentminded thoughts that I almost walked past the Majordomo in the hallway.

"Miss Hanamarie, hold on a for a moment," my boss suddenly caught my arm.

Instantly, my eyes snapped back to attention.

"Ah...! Yes...?" I responded to the Majordomo in confusion. "Can I help you?"

"You've been an excellent employee over the years. I've been told you're a role model for the younger maids, and your proactive leadership is strongly appreciated by those of us in the management." 

"Thank you, sir?"

"Congratulations, Hanamarie." 

"...?"

"You're promoted as of today. Starting now, you are officially a lady-in-waiting."

"...Huh?"

"We're understaffed and I need you in the Emerald Room, so please take responsibility for the guest there," the Majordomo said.

I blinked, but then my stomach lurched when the realization hit me.

Wait! Wait! Wait!

The Emerald Room was currently being prepared as a bedroom for one of the otherwordly heroes.

Getting assigned as a personal servant for one of my classmates is literally the worst possible outcome!

"W-Wait! Sir! Hold on, this must be a mistake! I'm not qualified! I'm only a peasant! I can't be a lady-in-waiting!"

I desperately attempted to rack my brain for excuses.

Ordinarily, a lady-in-waiting would receive years of education before they were trusted to serve the most esteemed guests. Oftentimes, the position was filled by someone with noble blood, as this elevated the prestige of the liege they served. A lady-in-waiting was expected to be intelligent, conversational, and good-natured in addition to taking care of their liege's personal needs.

However, the Majordomo seemed unconvinced by my protests. If anything, my reluctance to take the position seemed to raise his opinion of me even further, as he interpreted my hesitancy as a form of genuine honesty and trustworthiness. Most other servants would pounce on this opportunity irregardless if they were truly qualified. The Majordomo smiled warmly at me, and he offered his encouragement.

"I believe in you, Hanamarie. Have faith in yourself. You're the best that we have left."

"I haven't been properly trained," I protested weakly. "I never received an aristocrat's education."

"You are fully literate and quite knowledgeable for your position," the Majordomo countered. "That is better than most of our housemaids, who can neither read nor write."

"But..."

"You will learn quickly on the job. I am confident that you will. Now stop doubting yourself and get to work."

"......"

46