14. A compromise
900 2 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was no way to feign ignorance.

My master was literally standing in front of me in his underwear.

This forced my hand. Although it was huge pain, I had to drop everything that I was doing and immediately switch to addressing his needs. We went into the wardrobe and I began to pull out the clothing that I chose for him. However, before I could finish collecting all the various elements of the outfit that I mentally envisioned, Kang quickly pulled something else off the rack and pointed at it.

It was a simple yet sturdy pair of knight's trousers, which was made for rough training and exercise.

...I didn't even know why something like that was in the closet.

Field clothing like this wasn't appropriate for the royal court. Although my classmates were Otherworlders, they held the unofficial status of noble dignitaries. It would cause a small social crisis if the guests showed up in cheap clothing, and I would absolutely be the one blamed for it. No matter what happened, I couldn't allow him to wear this.

Exasperated, I tried to tell him 'no' by attempting to take it away from him.

That one is no good!

However, Kang Jiesu was firm, and he refused to let go.

My classmate shook his head. He pulled another set of clothes off the rack, and then shortly thereafter he grabbed another shirt. Fairly quickly, he had a whole pile of clothes in his arms, almost as if he was shopping in a department store. There was no way he could wear everything that he picked out today, which was when I realized that he was actually saving additional clothes for the future. Kang picked out 5-6 different sets, and he set his chosen outfits aside on a chair.

...Kang Jiesu was already thinking a whole week ahead.

Or perhaps this was Kang's way of showing me the type of clothes that he liked?

I sighed.

My childhood friend was impossible to control.

He was headstrong and too opinionated.

Ultimately, I gave up. I couldn't stop Kang from picking clothes that he liked. At best, I could only give suggestions and attempt to sway him with reasonable alternatives. I tried to hand him clothes that I thought were suitable for a Galuterican noble, and I felt my soul die a little on the inside while we bickered (in different languages) about what type of underwear was appropriate for the royal court. In the end, I could only pass it all to him halfheartedly.

The final result was a compromise.

My motivation was fully depleted and it hit rock bottom.

In theory, I was supposed to help my master get dressed every morning. This was a handmaiden's traditional role. However, knowing Kang Jiesu, he would probably resist like a wild stallion if I tried to take off his clothes. The entire process would be like pulling teeth, and furthermore it would be painfully inefficient. For someone unfamiliar with the process, it would be like two people attempting to play Mario Kart on the same controller. If you weren't used to sharing the acceleration button and control stick, it was probably 100x worse than driving the same race course in single player.

Of course, the situation was a little different for aristocratic women, because elaborate dresses and ballgowns generally required at least one assistant to put on. However, male clothing was far more straightforward. Technically, men didn't need servants to get dressed, and the handmaiden's role was essentially redundant. 

But by historical tradition, helping your master change was a customary obligation.

It was a required task.

...

...Surely, nobody would say anything if I innocently 'forgot' to do it today.

There wasn't anyone in this room aside from Kang and myself.

Nobody was watching us.

If I let my childhood friend dress himself, I was quite sure there wouldn't be any complaints. It would save both of us a headache, and I wouldn't need to fight to forcibly strip him of his underwear. I was seriously reluctant, and I essentially didn't want to stare at Kang's turtle head (TL note: 龟头) any more than strictly necessary. 

In my personal opinion, starting an argument over getting dressed in 'co-op mode' was a total waste of energy.

I sheepishly averted my eyes when I decided to skip over a traditional element of the morning routine.

My classmate wouldn't notice that something was missing, right?

Kang Jiesu stared at me quizzically.

He was holding a change of clothes in his arms.

"Is something wrong?" He asked (in Mandarin).

However, I (calmly) fled from the scene.

I wasn't a bad maid, I swear!

I (calmly) ran to the bathroom and returned to my maintenance work on the magical sink. Kang Jiesu had thrown me off my morning routine, and I wasn't emotionally prepared to remove his clothes on such short notice. Perhaps I would be able to do it another day, but I needed to mentally prepare myself and meditate for several hours in advance. Today, I chickened out of it, but it wasn't my fault!

Kang Jiesu ruined the planned schedule. It was his fault!

It knocked me off balance.

37