Volume 1 Chapter 4: Part 4: Fight To The Death
514 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 1 Chapter 4: Part 4: Fight To The Death

 

Instead of dealing with 1 adult and 2 juveniles, Onyx and Walter have to deal with an extra 3 smaller ones!

 

The lizard-headed chimera who attacked Onyx stares him down with hunger in its eyes. The other two: another dog and an eagle-headed one, look down at them on a cliff. 

 

Even though they're keeping their distance from them, the glint in their eyes said something different. They are ready to pounce on Onyx and Vargar once they show a moment of weakness.

 

"We need to leave before- never mind. It seems those three are finished with wyverns." The problems just keep coming at them in droves. Behind the two, the other three are looking at them. 

 

Their mouths drip with the blood of wyverns. 

 

Onyx quickly moves behind and covers Vargar's back. With the numbers against them, they have to cover as many blind spots as possible. He asks Vargar, "What do we do now?"

 

"We're surrounded, and I doubt we'll be able to move an inch anytime soon." As Vargar talked, the dog-headed chimera made its move! It charges towards Vargar. 

 

Vargar realizes this too as he slices at it, ready to kill!

 

The monster jumps up, dodging the sword, and tries to bite him on the shoulder. But Onyx's kick has something to say about that.  

 

"We're at a disadvantage." 1 adult and 5 juveniles. With their equipment, no way they're going to survive. Much less win. 

 

"Onyx, I'll be the decoy and distract them. This will give you a chance to escape." The best option Vargar can pull right now is to let Onyx escape. 

 

That much he can do. 

 

"No." But Onyx immediately rejects that idea. 

 

"If you leave then, you can get help."

 

"Teacher, you're faster than me. You can get help faster." Onyx replies back. 

 

"You'll die if you stay here, fool!" Vargar shouts at Onyx. 

 

Onyx scoffs at him, "I've already resolved myself once I decided to come with you. If I'm going to die, I will die fighting."

 

Onyx knew what Vargar had in mind when trying to make him run. But running was never an option for Onyx. The only way to leave this mountain is to beat them!

 

"..." Vargar looks into Onyx's eyes. The only thing he can find in those eyes is determination. He starts to laugh, "Boy, you're crazy!"

 

"So be it." Onyx pouts when he hears that. 

 

"It's been a while since I saw someone as crazy as you." The only person he has ever known that was this crazy is him. 

 

"Alright. Since we will survive this, I'll need your help." Seeing Onyx's resolve, how could he be outshined by his own disciple?

 

Seeing Onyx's resolve, it lit something inside of Vargar. How can he be outshined by his own disciple? 

 

 Vargar wasn't planning to die. Not to them, much less. 

 

"I'll deal with the adult and the 3 juveniles. I want you to deal with 2 of them."

 

"What? Shouldn't I get three, and you get two?"  Seeing how almost one killed him: if Vargar fights with three and that one big one, he's at a disadvantage.

 

"That's why I need you to kill them quickly. I can stall the 4 for a large amount of time. But killing all these monsters would be a difficult task even for me. That's why I need your help." 

 

Onyx wants to reject that idea. I should be the one stalling. Vargar could kill them faster than him. 

 

But he couldn't say that as the monsters had enough waiting for them!

 

The adult chimera pounces, and its target is none other than Onyx! 

 

"Watch it!" Vargar quickly pushes Onyx away and gets in front of the monster's claws, blocking it.

 

"That's our plan! I'm relying on you to deal with these brats!" Vargar pushes the adult chimera's body and uses it as a battering ram! The shark and the dog head got caught up in the tackle!

 

When the other three notices this, the lizard-head chimera charges at Vargar, but only to find a black boot up his face!

 

Vargar swings his foot like an ax, tossing the lizard behind the adult one. And like that, he pushes all four of them down the trail!

 

"You guys are fighting with me!" Onyx noticed the other two were trying to follow after Vargar. Onyx steps in front of the trail, blocking their way. 

 

I'm relying on you. 

 

Never did Onyx hear those words come out of Vargar's mouth ever. Even when Onyx fought with the goblins and wyverns. 

 

Vargar expected him to handle those monsters. 

 

But this time, he needs his help.

 

I will not fail you! Onyx raises his swords up, and his intensity rises as well. The two chimeras became wary of him, feeling the pressure coming off him. 

 

They begin to circle Onyx, trying to find an opening to strike. 

 

They don't want to fight me head-on, huh? Onyx knows those beasts will pounce the moment he shows hesitation. That's why he needs to make the first move. 

 

Magic. There was only one move going through his mind; use magic and slaughter them. He'll bind them and then kill them instantly. Onyx's hands shine dimly, and then the shadows from the chimera's body come out to them!

 

But that's what they're waiting for! The dog-headed chimera ran straight at him, dodging the shadow. And then, 

 

Spiss.

 

The center of Onyx's breastplate gets sliced open! The warm sensation of blood slowly splurts out from his chest and drips to the ground. 

 

Luckily, Onyx caught on in time and used his sword to deflect the blow. 

 

"Dammit. Those monsters are faster than my magic." He didn't expect something like that. But the more Onyx thought about it, the more it made sense. 

 

I got too cocky. Onyx realizes there are limitations to his magic.  

 

If magic isn't going to work, I'll just have to get physical. Onyx jumps and dashes close to the eagle-headed chimera. 

 

Clink!

 

What in the world?! There was no damage at all. The monster is unhurt from Onyx's strike! Onyx jumps back and notices that his blade even got chipped!

 

What is their back made out of?! Attacking the back isn't an option for him anymore. 

 

"Kwakkk!" Onyx quickly dukes and rolls away. The eagle-headed one retaliated, striking down at Onyx's head. 

 

Quick. 

 

Let's aim for those. Onyx jumps towards the beast again, ready to slash the eagle-headed one again. Instead of attacking the back, his aim was the eyes. 

 

That'll give him time to deal with the dog-headed one. 

 

But what Onyx doesn't realize is the eagle-headed chimera is intelligent. It knew Onyx's plan. That's why it rushes its head, catching the sword with its mouth. 

 

Onyx doesn't let up and tries to push the sword forward instead, wanting to split the monster in two! But the blade doesn't budge at all.

 

The eagle chimera held it down tight. 

 

"Let go! You crazy monster!" Before Onyx can get the sword out of its mouth, the dog chimera jumps down on him, wanting to bite his head off!

 

Onyx raises his arm up, and what got caught in the dog's mouth was his arm guard instead. 

 

I can't move! His arm bit down on one side while his sword was locked down. Onyx is at a stalemate.

 

No. This isn't a stalemate. While Onyx's arms are locked by the two beasts, their arms aren't restricted.

 

Both of them had abnormal strength. The monsters continue their attack, scratching Onyx's body left and right. 

 

Gotta get out of this!

 

Letting go of his sword, Onyx tosses his other sword to the freehand and cuts the arm guard off. 

 

He quickly backflips away from the two monsters.

 

The dog chimera bites down onto his armguard, breaking it into pieces. While the eagle chimera splits the sword into two!

 

What should I do? Even though Onyx broke free from being in the middle, he's in a worse-off state. Missing a sword and one of his arm guards as well. 

 

And his body was riddled with cuts and bruises from their claws. 

 

I'm in a losing fight. From the start, Onyx was at a disadvantage. And what makes it worse is the more the battle continues to drag on, the closer he is to losing.

 

 Kawk Kawk Kawk!

 

Onyx looks over and notices the bird chimera making sounds at him!

 

"You!" Onyx clenches his fist as he glares at the monsters. This is a first. People mocked him. and some even picked a fight with him. 

 

But never did he expect a monster to mock him. What makes it worse is the look it gave him. Like he is superior to Onyx in every way. 

 

This is the first time Onyx wanted to punch somebody so hard to knock that smirk off their face! But he stops, 

 

Calm down. I can't rush in. Rushing in would be a death sentence. The dog chimera's ready to attack him the moment he goes in. 

 

I need something to cut them down. Onyx looks down at his remaining sword. He knows that it's useless against the chimeras.  

 

If my sword can't do anything to these guys, what about teacher? Onyx's expression turns twisted, thinking of this. 

 

I need to kill them quickly. But how?! As Onyx thinks about what can break the monster's skin, his expression turns blank. But then it turns bright. I got it!

 

Onyx glares back at the monsters, ready to charge at them again. And the two are prepared as well. But the next second, Onyx turns away and runs for them!

 

"..." When they saw that, the two stood still. The monsters tilt their heads, surprised about Onyx fleeing! But then they start to chase after him! How dare he run away from them?!

 

As they chase after Onyx, they slowly catch up to him. But then, Onyx dives down into the wyvern corpses!

 

Where is it?! Onyx begins to throw the wyvern corpses around. 

 

The dog chimera takes the opportunity and pounces on Onyx's head! But what came after is something it never expected!

 

Blood begins to gush out, covering Onyx's face!

 

"Do you think I was running away from you because I was scared?" Onyx makes a smug expression as he holds the monster up. 

 

The reason why he ran to the wyvern corpses was to take out the wyvern's fang!

 

Onyx notices the cuts on the chimera's body. Those cuts aren't deep. 

 

But it's still damage to the monster. 

 

And Onyx knew the only thing that could do something like this would be the fang or their claw. 

 

Before the dog chimera can do anything, Onyx splits the thing in two! With his strength and the wyvern's fang, he knew he could do more damage to them. 

 

Onyx turns his gaze towards the bird. 

 

"Where's the laughter now, you damn monster." The monster looks in fear to see its brother cut down like that.

 

And it knows who Onyx's next target is. He dashes off from his position and charges at the bird without hesitation!

 

The bird chimera does the same as well, wanting to snap Onyx's neck! But Onyx is much keener and isn't driven by anger right now. 

 

Before he makes contact with the monster's beak, Onyx does a backflip, kicking the beast right under the chin!

 

And taking advantage, Onyx uses the fang to slice open the monster's chest. And he stabs his sword straight into the wound!

 

The beast has no idea what happened as it drops to the ground. After killing the two, Onyx sighs in relief. He was exhausted from all that fighting. 

 

But then, Onyx begins to run. 

 

He can't be standing around when Vargar is fighting for his life!

...

"Damn it. You guys are annoying." Right now, Vargar is covered with bruises and scratches. In front of him, the three chimeras are no different. 

 

One of the juveniles is missing. I was sleeping permanently on the ground a few meters away from the battle. 

 

Vargar was on the defensive, blocking all their attacks without attacking back. But the shark got complacent and tried to attack Vargar directly by itself. 

 

The beast left itself wide with openings. And Vargar saw it and took it out in one stroke!

 

There's no opening for me to take advantage of. Because of the one-shot kill, the other ones became wary of Vargar. 

 

And they won't let me use my magic as well' It'll take him time to cast it. The juveniles might not catch on to it. 

 

But the adult most certainly will. It won't let such a chance be spoiled.

 

The three chimeras stand on each side. But then, they start their assault! Each one jumps at him in different directions, wanting to take a bite at him!

 

"Hmpf!" Vargar blocks those blows with his sword. 

 

But he can only block 2 strikes. The third one scratched him on the shoulder.

 

It doesn't matter to Vargar if he gets hit by the juvenile ones. The attacks from the adult one are the only ones he had to block. 

 

One strike from it would be fatal.

 

I've blocked most of its attacks. But shit! Vargar's sword has cracks in it. 

 

It's been able to block the attacks from the beasts. But it has a limit. And the adult one knows it too. 

 

It was only a matter of time. 

 

The three continue their assault on Vargar, waiting for the sword to break. But then,

 

"GRAWWRRR" "Rooooaaar!"

 

The two juveniles suddenly halted their movements!

 

Hmm? Vargar is confused as well. 

 

"Teacher, kill them now!" Onyx screams out from the side! He arrived on time! When he came, he saw the three attacking his teacher fiercely. But because of this, he knows his magic will hit them! They're too focused on Vargar to notice him. 

 

That boy Vargar can't express how happy he is to see Onyx here. But he turns back to the two. 

 

It's my turn! Before the two beasts can have time to draw their next breath, Vargar slices them into two! 

 

But it came at a cost. Vargar's sword also shattered into pieces from his final blow. 

 

"Now it's only you." It doesn't matter to him. Vargar turns over to the adult chimera. 

 

And the beast flinches.

 

Even though Vargar held onto a broken blade, his figure instilled fear in it!

 

The beast slowly backs away, wanting to escape with all its might. But Vargar has other plans for it, 

 

"Wind magic: Vortex!" It was time for him to use his magic. The moment he took out the two, he instantly concentrated on his magic!

 

A wind column forms surrounding the chimera! The beast felt danger coming off from this attack. When it tries to get out by rushing at it, its claw instantly gets shredded into pieces!

 

Snap. Vargar snaps his fingers, and the wind column begins to condense, entrapping the beast even further! 

 

As the razor wind sliced through the adult chimera, its body got whittled down. The snake tail was shredded into mush, and one of its heads was blown to pieces. 

 

Incredible. Those are the only words Onyx has as he watches this scene. This is the first time he saw Vargar use his magic. 

 

Onyx thought this was over. But something was off!

 

What's it doing?! For some reason, the adult chimera begins to smash its body onto the razor wind! It causes his body to bleed even more. But it kept doing that, slamming and causing more damage to itself!

 

Whatever it is doing, it makes Onyx feel something off. Onyx shouts out to Vargar, "Teacher, watch ou-"

 

It's too late. 

 

The chimera speed increased and smashed out of the wind column. It rushes at Vargar like a bullet, tackling him down!

 

"ugh!" Vargar wasn't expecting something like that, and his body smashed into the mountain!

 

"Teacher!" Onyx screams out in shock. Before he can say something else, the raged chimera appears right before him!

 

What speed! In a span of a breath, the chimera covered such a distance! Its eyes glow red, and its breathing is uneven as well. 

 

The monster swipes down at lightning-quick speed! Onyx can't react to it at all!. Three extra claw marks form on his chest, and blood explodes out!

 

The only thing the chimera see is red! And then the monster slaps Onyx away! 

 

Even though his mind is filled with rage, it knows Onyx isn't the main dish. The person who smashed into the mountains was his target. 

 

Vargar moves the rubble off of his body. He clenches his teeth, gritting and bearing. 

 

3 broken ribs. That's the damage Vargar received. 

 

Why does it have a berserker state?! Vargar hasn't accounted for something like this. 

 

Berserker. As one takes more damage, they gain power as well. And with the number of times it slammed its body onto the vortex, the adult chimera's strength should be crazy. 

 

Before Vargar can think, he quickly ducks and rolls away from his position. And what happened next is the chimera slamming its body where he originally was!

 

And it doesn't stop there as it continues to charge at Vargar!

 

Tch, it's lost its mind. As the cost of increased power, the adult chimera's reason to think disappeared. The only thing on its mind is to kill Vargar! 

 

But that made its moves easier to read. The beast was only charging forward at him! Taking advantage of this, Vargar jumped to the side and was about to attack it with his broken blade.

 

The force was so strong that the ground shattered! And then, the beast begins to slam its paws down in raging fury, battering Vargar up!

 

Is this the end? He doesn't need to ask that himself. Vargar knows this is the end for him. The fangs of the beast gaze down at him. Before the chimera can bite down on him, 

 

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR!!!"

 

"Huh?" Vargar tilts his head to look up. But never did he expect to see this!

 

The chimera howls in pain, and on the back is a shadow. 

 

"Why are you up there?!" Onyx is the one on the monster's back! He had stabbed his two weapons into the back to gain traction!

 

The chimera moves around at high speed, trying to shake Onyx off his back! But the more it moved, the more the monster placed pressure on the blades!

 

The monster is tearing its own body apart. 

 

I'm not going to let go' Onyx had ripped a piece of his clothes and tied it into the wyvern's fang to tighten his grip.

 

The only way he's letting go is if he dies!

 

The adult chimera goes crazy and begins to ram its back onto the mountain, hoping to crush Onyx!

 

Onyx is a stubborn one. He continues to clinch onto the knife, bearing the pain!

 

This fool. Vargar never thought Onyx would do something like this. 

 

But at least he is doing something. 

 

What am I doing?!

 

Vargar gets off the ground. All the pain in his body roars, telling him not to get up. But he doesn't care!

 

He moves his hand up and begins to concentrate, ready to unleash one of his most powerful magics!

 

I'm counting on you! Hold him steady.

 

Noticing a large amount of magic coming off of Vargar, Onyx understood, 

 

I need to stall for time.

 

That attack will kill the monster!

 

And he isn't alone in this as well. Even though the monster's mind disappeared, his instinct senses it. It turns over to Vargar, making him the priority!

 

"Don't you even dare!" The shadow on the ground came up, locking him in position! But, 

 

"Crap! He's shaking them off!" The adult chimera was a raging horse, rampaging around and causing the shadows to be shaken off. 

 

"I won't let you go!" A giant black spear forms in the air and slams through the chimera's chest!

 

The monster howls in pain!

 

Dammit. That was the last of Onyx's strength. He mustered up all the magic he could use. But now, his body is shutting down from exhaustion. 

 

The chimera moves his body again!. This time, Onyx went flying into the mountain. 

 

But everything Onyx did was enough. 

 

"Thanks for getting my student out of my way." Vargar finished his magic. 

 

"Now die! Cyclone Vortex!" The small condensed tornado in his hand explodes like a laser! The chimera tries to move, but it isn't able to. 

 

His body was stuck to the ground due to the spear. 

 

Onyx's last-ditch effort made it happen. 

 

The vortex pierced through the chimera's stomach like butter, and it started to expand, cutting the entire thing up!

 

And when the wind dissipates, the lifeless body drops to the ground. And Vargar does the same. 

 

The energy drains from his body.

 

"We won."


For extra chapters, check out my Patreon ^w^

 

 

12