Volume 1 Chapter 8: Part 3: You Need To Die
463 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 1 Chapter 8: Part 3: You Need To Die

 

The place Onyx brought the assassins to is an open courtyard. There aren't any people around, and there's enough room for him to fight and dodge against them. 

 

Running away isn't an option anymore. 

 

If I run into the streets, who knows what they might do?! That went through Onyx's mind as he ran. These guys are hellbent on killing him. Even if there are people around, these guys might kill them just to get to him. 

 

That's why Onyx can't run away anymore. He can't bring innocent people into this mess. 

 

"So you finally accepted your fate?" The captain says as he smugly grins at Onyx. 

 

"Does it look that way to you?" Onyx squints his eyes at them. He raises the sword he took from the assassin and the short sword from the woman. 

 

"Come at me." The moment Onyx says this, the battle begins!

 

The assassins charge Onyx, wanting to get him before he can fight back. But why would Onyx stand there and let them do it? He charges toward them the same. 

 

He clashes with the two in front. 

 

Light. That's what Onyx thought when they clashed. A smirk forms, and he blasts the two away. In terms of strength, he is superior to the two in front. 

 

But that's only the two in the front. 

 

Four swords came crashing down on him!

 

Onyx quickly raises his swords to block them. He did stop it. But now he's pinned to the ground!

 

"Take him out now!" The captain screams out to the guys pushed away. The two quickly regain composure and charge at Onyx again!

 

"Get off of me!" Onyx screams out in anger as he uses all his strength, blowing the four off! Dodging the two's blades, Onyx quickly grabs onto one of their arms and pulls him forward. What he got next is,

 

Bang!

 

What the guy got is Onyx's fist on his right cheek! The assassin went flying towards the building wall, smashing into it. 

 

"What monstrous strength. Are you sure the intel says he was injured?" The captain can't believe what Onyx did. He looks at the assassin stuck in the wall and then at his hand. 

 

It's shaking uncontrollably.

 

For Onyx to blow away four of them and cause so much damage is deadly. This is him injured and with no magic? Just thinking about what would happen when Onyx recovered to full strength made the captain shiver. 

 

We can't let this man live. Not unless he wants the whole world to be turned upside down. 

 

"Everybody gets into formation A." When they hear that, the other assassins nod. Onyx just took out one of their guys without any problem. They can't take chances against him. 

 

Formation A? Hearing that, Onyx shifts his body, cautious of what they're planning to do. The assassins switch their positions. Four assassins stand in the front while two are standing in the back. 

 

I need to take out the people in the back. Just from the formation, Onyx knows the assassins in the back are the ones who are the most dangerous. Onyx charges forward again, wanting to take out the people in front to get to the back. 

 

But his charge stopped. These two are strong. The captain and the vice-captain buckle from Onyx's charge. However, they still withstand his attack, holding him there. 

 

While Onyx got blocked, the other two assassins came from the side and slashed! 

 

Onyx shifts his body, dodging the swords. But that leaves an opening for the two in front to push him back. He takes a few steps back and looks at them tensely.

 

They're moving in sync. 

 

Compared to before, the group's moving more fluidly and faster. They are like a well-oiled machine, supporting each other when the others are in trouble. 

 

So be it! I'll take you guys out first! Onyx's priority towards the backline shifts to the people on the side. They would continue to attack Onyx, dwindling him down. 

 

And it's a simple task for him. Onyx swipes his sword at one of the assassins. 

 

The assassin tries to block with his sword, kinda. His weapon breaks, and he gets blown away from the impact!

 

The other assassins saw this and couldn't help but gasp at what he did to their comrade. But Onyx isn't done as he targets the other one now.  

 

When Onyx's about to strike him down: the guy doesn't attack him!

 

Instead, he tackles Onyx!

 

"What are you doing?" Onyx's eyes went wide, confused as to why he tackled him. He tries to push him away. But the assassin isn't budging from him at all!

 

"Do it now!" The assassin shouts out. When Onyx hears that, all of his senses go on high alert! He turns his head towards the backline. And what he sees is the assassins from the backline holding up magic!

 

The power coming off of them is just,

 

 dangerous. 

 

"Get off of me! Do you want to die as well?!" The magic coming off of the two is large. Large enough to take the two out. 

 

"For the peace and justice of the world!" The assassin shouts out at Onyx. He already accepted death the moment he latched onto him. 

 

"Die!" Onyx wanted to push him off. But it's too late. A bunch of lightning and a vortex of fire came rushing towards Onyx!

 

And the whole area is covered in flames! 

 

"What was that?!"

 

"Is somebody using magic!"

 

"Heck! Who wants to know? Just stay away from there!"

 

"Somebody call the guards!"

 

With the sudden loud explosion, people became aware. Shouting erupted throughout the streets. 

 

"The demon is finally dead!" The captain shouts out as he looks at the smoke. A grin forms on his face. He knows nobody would be able to withstand such a blast. 

 

Not even a hero. 

 

"Let's quickly get out of here now." Because of the explosion, the guards will come over to find out what happened. 

 

"You two, carry the other two and the rest, destroy all traces of us being here."

 

"Yes, sir." As the rest are about to leave, one assassin looks back at the explosion. His face turns wide as he shouts out, 

 

"Captain, look!"

 

"Huh?" When the captain looked over, his eyes went wide. He shouts out, 

 

"How are you still alive?!" 

 

He can't believe it. Onyx's still standing there breathing after that blast.

 

He's not the only one alive too. With him is the assassin. He's survived the blow too. 

 

Thank goodness I jumped out of the way. Onyx realized the assassin won't let him go any time soon. So the only option he had was to take the guy with him. 

 

As the magic came closer, Onyx mustered up all his strength to jump out as fast as possible.

 

Shit. That hurts. 

 

Even if he survived it, Onyx is worse for wear. He wasn't able to avoid all the magic. He dodged the lightning but got knicked by the fire bomb.

 

Onyx's shirt was covered by burn marks and scratch marks from the rubble. But that's the least of his worries. 

 

My wounds are opening up again. 

 

His injuries did recover a lot compared to a few weeks ago. But the wounds are still there. But the consistent attacks and that blow caused them to open up. 

 

"Kill him!" But this doesn't matter to the assassins. The captain screams out, infuriated. How could this devil be alive after being hit by that magic?

 

The others didn't need the captain to scream. They charge the moment they see Onyx alive. They couldn't let him live after this. 

 

Onyx raises his arm, trying to block his attack. But it doesn't do much. 

 

When Onyx tries to block the sword, he gets pushed back. He knew the explosion took away most of his stamina. And the assassins have increased their power too. 

 

It's the desperation of wanting to kill off Onyx. More cuts begin to form onto Onyx's body, etching in deep. 

 

He's weakened. Seeing how he was getting pushed around so easily, the captain understands the magic dealt damage. 

 

And Onyx knows this too. He grits his teeth. 

 

I have no choice. 

 

We got him now! The grin on the captain's face says it all. That's the smile of victory. Onyx clutching his chest just shows they're about to win. 

 

"!" As the captain was about to make the finishing blow, something stopped him. His hands shake. He couldn't understand it. All he knows is;

 

Danger! But then he starts shaking his head. No, he's one foot away from the grave. Just one more push is enough to end him. 

 

As the captain tries to move towards Onyx, he doesn't budge at all!

 

"Captain! I can't move!" 

 

"What's going on?!" 

 

"My feet are stuck to the ground!"

 

The captain isn't alone in this. The rest of the assassins are stuck to the ground as well. 

 

"Dammit!" The captain grits his teeth, trying to push himself forward. Their target is right there, standing there defenseless. One more move was enough. Since he can't move, he readies his sword, ready to fling it at Onyx with all his force!

 

But his legs aren't the only thing that got staked. 

 

"What is going on?! What is this!" 

 

The captain sees a shadow crawling up his arm, freezing it in place. His hand is forced to grip the sword, not being able to throw it. The captain turns back at Onyx and realizes his hands are up, pointing at them. 

 

The captain realizes it now.

 

"How are you able to use magic?!" Onyx used magic. But that causes the captain to go crazy. 

 

This wasn't in the information given to him. The devil shouldn't be able to use magic at all!

 

"Who told you that I can't use magic?" Onyx sneers at the assassins. In all honesty, he didn't want to use his magic at all. He already got lectured by Vargar for using it. And this is his trump card. 

 

But the situation is dire. So no choice. 

 

Hearing Onyx's question, the captain clams up. He knows he spoke too much. 

 

"It doesn't matter now. Take this!" Onyx charges over towards the assassins and punches them all. 

 

With the force of his punch, it knocked out the assassins.  

 

"What is going on over here?!" After knocking them out, the guards came over at the worst time. A bunch of guards came over, surrounding all of them. 

 

Onyx's mind becomes hazier as he falls to the ground and loses consciousness. 

....

"Uggh. I'm tired." Later on, Onyx wakes up on his bed and groans. So they brought me back. He doesn't need anybody to tell him what happened and how he returned to his room. 

 

"Seriously, are you a magnet for trouble or what?" Beside his bed, Vargar shakes his head as he looks at the wretched head of his disciple. 

 

"Teacher, how long was I out for this time?" Onyx jokes. 

 

"An hour." Vargar shakes his head, not amused by his joke. When he found out he was attacked in the royal capital, he slapped himself in the face, flabbergasted. He continues to scold, 

 

"Didn't I tell you to take a break? Why did you have to go out?"

 

"That was my break." Onyx felt wronged. How could he know there would be assassins coming after him in the middle of the day? He can't prepare for something like that!

 

"So what'll happen to them?"

 

"The assassins are in prison right now. We're going to get as much information out of them." Vargar's face darkens. How dare they. Attacking the hero like that wasn't something they'll stand for. 

 

"Also, teacher, the assassins said something weird."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"The leader thought that I couldn't use magic." How did the assassin know I can't use magic? More importantly, why did they think he couldn't use it? It's the wrong information. 

 

But it's a useful one. 

 

"!" Even Vargar was surprised by this as well. He stays silent while his face turns even darker. 

 

"Are you ok, teacher?" Hearing Onyx's words, Vargar's face turns back to normal. 

 

"Nothing. You don't have to worry about anything. Rest up. Also, deal with the blubbering fool over there." Vargar says as he points at the other side. 

 

There Onyx can see Irene bawling her eyes out. She's been crying since the guards carried Onyx back. Onyx makes a wry laugh as he wonders how to deal with Irene. 

...

While Onyx dealt with Irene, Vargar went back to Walter's office. 

 

"How were his injuries?" Walter says.

 

"Most of his injuries are pretty light. He will be fine in a couple of days."

 

"That's good." Hearing that, Walter sighs in relief. But that didn't stop the dark expression on his face. Vargar understood why,

 

"This has to stop now!" Walter slams his fist onto the table. And it splits in half. His fist was covered in lightning, destroying everything.  

 

He was truly pissed off. 

...

A couple of days have passed, and the injuries on Onyx's body have recovered. That was all due to Irene's care. She was by his side all the time, caring for his wounds. 

 

Thank goodness she stopped crying. 

 

Throughout the entire time, Irene kept crying, guilty for this happening. But Onyx managed to soothe her with a lot of hugs. And her assistance caused his body to heal faster. 

 

After his body healed, Walter and Vargar asked him to come to their office. Onyx knocks on the door, 

 

"Walter, it's me."

 

"Come in, Onyx."

 

Seeing Onyx walking into the room, Walter smiles, "Have you fully recovered, Onyx?" 

 

"Mmhmm."

 

"That is good." After saying this, Vargar and Walter stay silent and look at Onyx. 

 

"What do you need from me, teacher?" Onyx notices something's wrong. Even when he walked into the room, he felt it. The tension in the air is thick. Thick enough for him to cut. 

 

Vargar and Walter look at each other, making tenser expressions. Vargar looks at Onyx, "Onyx, you should sit down before Walter says this."

 

"Alright." Onyx sits down, "So what do you need to tell me?"

 

Hearing that, Walter breaths,

 

"There really no easy way to say this; 

 

Onyx. Will you die for us?"


For Extra Chapters, check out my Patreon

11