Volume 2 Chapter 2: Part 2: Advent City
311 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 2 Chapter 2: Part 2: Advent City

 

"Ugghh, my stomach." The next day, Stewart clutches his stomach. A strained expression is plastered on his face as he walks. Beside him is Onyx and his party. 

 

Onyx gives a wry laugh while the rest just shake their heads. 

 

Well, only the females did that. Etta scolds him, 

 

"You should know when to stop, fool. Seriously, you and the rest of the guys are just pigs." She points at Reynold and Barrett too. Both are clutching their stomachs like Stewart. 

 

Specifically, with Reynold, the expression he's making is many times worse than the other two. 

 

"It doesn't matter. The pain is worth the win." Stewart grins. Yesterday's party was just a bloodbath. As Onyx and Lucia continued to buy things, it was his time to be surprised. 

 

The amount of food Lucia just bought was just...wow.

 

"Are you sure we really need this much?" Onyx had to ask her this question. There was a large pile of meat behind Lucia. It looked like it could topple down any second. 

 

Even if he missed the taste of meat, it wasn't to the point of that much. 

 

Lucia shakes her head and explains, "We usually buy this much for two days. But since we're going to have a party, we can finish this much in a few hours. We have a lot of big eaters at our party."

 

Alright then. Onyx didn't say anything else as he followed her. He helped her carry the things they bought.

 

And when they arrived back, he understood why Lucia bought so much food. The guys were like a pack of hyenas as they went crazy on the meat. 

 

Well, it should be like that. That's what Onyx thought as he watched from the sideline. 

 

Having jerky for a couple of days would cause anyone to go crazy. But this looked crazy.

 

Did I look like that outside? Onyx wonders. 

 

He looked at the girls, eating so calmly like the three eating like this is a daily routine. 

 

And that's why we have Barrett, Reynold, and Stewart gagging and having a stomach ache right now. Lucia, Etta, May, and Muriel shake their heads in disappointment. 

 

May quips, "You didn't even win the eating contest. Muriel beat you guys by a mile." 

 

The guys asked for an eating contest. But the person who beat them all was none other than their healer. 

 

"How can you count her in a contest between humans?! She breaks all laws!" No matter how much Muriel eats, she wouldn't gain any weight. 

 

"Just where does all that meat go?"

 

"It has to be there." As Reynold says this, his eyes go straight towards Muriel's chest. The size was just so abnormal. Even the girls look over there too. 

 

It has to be there too. 

 

Muriel quickly covers her chest and blushes, "Keep staring, and I will poke out your eyes." They look away, and Onyx asks,

 

"How much longer will it take for us to get to the guild?" Right now, the eight of them are walking to the guild building. 

 

"We'll be there in a minute or two. It's located in the city's center, so we don't need to worry about getting lost." Stewart says, continuing to lead Onyx to the central plaza. 

 

As they continue to walk, Onyx notices more adventurers around him. More so, there were elves, beastman, and dwarves as well. Onyx's surprised to see so many different types of races there. 

 

"Onyx, why do you still have your hood on? Shouldn't you take it off now?"

 

While Onyx continues to look around, Reynold asks him. Onyx has been wearing the cloak for the entire time of his stay. The only time he took it off was when he was in bed. 

 

"Sorry. I don't want to take it off just yet. It becomes a hassle when people see my face." Onyx chuckles. He knows what's going to happen if people see his face. When people see his face, he'll become a circus animal. 

 

"Aww. You don't have to worry about whether or not your face is ugly. With my handsome face, anybody would look ugly just by standing next to me. Just look at our captain and the bear man. They're ok. But when standing next to me, they become super ugly."

 

"..." That's not the point, and can't you see the looks you're getting from Stewart and Barrett? 

 

But Reynold doesn't realize it as he continues, "Right, sis. Don't I look- Mugahhh!!" As he was going to ask his sister, he got a fist to his face!

 

"Nobody thinks that way, idiot brother!" Lucia's face turns red again. How is this person related to me? She just can't believe it. But after a few minutes, Barrett and Stewart stop her. 

 

"Lucia, stop punching him."

 

"Sheesh, sis! Are you trying to kill me?" If it wasn't for-

 

"This isn't how you do it. Let me teach you." Barrett makes an evil smile as his body slams Reynold into the ground. 

 

"Call me ugly, eh? Then how about I just make you uglier than me!" He shakes his body around, making Reynold feel like he's getting crushed. 

 

Ignoring what's going on on the side, "Anyways, we've arrived."Onyx looks up to see a giant building. It was something he didn't expect.

 

"Surprised, right? Everybody's first time seeing the guild hall will be shocked by it." Stewart smiles, remembering how he has the same expression Onyx has right now. 

 

"Now, let's go." As they walk into the building, there are a ton of tables around.

 

Adventurers sitting there are discussing something. Some joked around, making fun. But all of that stopped when they entered. All eyes are on them.

 

"Hey, isn't that Scarlet Lynx?"

 

"Yeah. To think they would come here today. This is a special occasion."

 

"Look at Lucia! She's so cute."

 

"Nonsense. Muriel is so much better. Do you not see those beautiful mountains?"

 

"What about Stewart? He's so hot!"

 

"Reynold is better looking than he is."

 

"You know it, baby!" Hearing the last comment, Reynold screams out at the female adventurer and winks at her. Stewart slaps his head, and the rest shake their heads. They know Reynold is about to have another one of those showing off stunts again. 

 

Onyx reads the situation as he jokes, 

 

"Are you sure you guys aren't famous?"

 

Nobody needed to answer his question. The guards' treatment. How the resident talked about them and now the adventurers. How can they not be famous?

 

Stewart scratches his head, "Well, we kind of are." Etta smacks his head and scolds him again, 

 

"What do you mean kinda? There's no need to keep it hidden from Onyx anymore." She turns over to Onyx,

 

"We're a B-rank adventuring party. The reason why people talk about us is because of our rank. We're one of the fastest parties to ever reach B-rank."

 

Plus the fact that they all have good looks. It made their group more noticeable and well-known. 

 

"Oh, I see now." Onyx gets it now. Even though he doesn't know much about the ranking system, he could tell that Stewart's group is powerful. 

 

They were able to get deep into the forest of death. That alone shows how strong they are.

 

"So where do I-"

 

"If it isn't the kittens! How come you guys are here now?!" Before Onyx can finish his sentence, somebody interrupts him. They turn their heads to see a group of adventurers. 

 

They have the same number of party members as Stewarts. The person in front has light brown hair with azure blue eyes. He's holding onto a spear while resting it on his shoulder. The smugness on his face can be seen by all.

 

Onyx looks back at Stewart. His expression is dark as he walks in front of the person. And the other did the same too. The two stare down at each other, sizing each other up. 

 

"So why are the azure puppies here?" The person's face scrunched up,

 

"How many times do I have to tell you; we're not the azure puppies! We're the azure wolves! Do I have to beat it into you again like I did a few days ago?!"

 

"Ohoho. Lyle, it seems that I beat your head too hard. Did you really think you won? Last time I checked, I won that battle."  For some reason, Onyx can see a wolf and a lynx coming out of the two's backs. Both animals are ready to brawl.

 

Seeing how the two are about to fight, one person from Lyle's group came over to Etta, "Etta, it's been a while. How have you been?"

 

"Clare, we've been doing fine. How was your quest?"

 

"It was a breeze. But I heard you guys took on a difficult quest. But it seems that's not the case." 

 

But Etta shakes her head, "We did take a quest. But we almost lost our lives if it wasn't for him." She says and points at Onyx,

 

"Hello, my name is Onyx." He gives a polite greeting to the woman. She does the same,

 

"My name is Clare."

 

"Um, So the two of you know each other?" Seeing how Etta and Clare greet each other calmly, Onyx realizes the two know each other. 

 

They nod, and Etta explains, 

 

"Me, Clare, and those two children came from the same orphanage. We've been together since our childhood."

 

"Oh, I see. Also, shouldn't the two of you stop that?" Onyx says as he points at Stewart and the other guy having a brawl.

 

"Nah. It's fine. This usually happens when the two are together. That just shows how good those kids get along."

 

"They're best friends." The moment Etta adds that, the two shout out,

 

"We are not best friends!" "Who would be friends with this oaf here?!" Hearing what the other said about the other, they glare again,

 

"You have no right to say that!" And they start to fight again. The two party's members just look at them as fools. 

 

"Alright, that's enough! You guys will have to pay if you destroy anything in the guildhall!" A guild receptionist screams out at the two.

 

"Sorry." "My bad."

 

The two sat on their knees as they got lectured by the receptionist. But that doesn't stop them from glaring at each other. 

 

"Hmpf. This isn't over." The other guy says as he gets off the floor. He didn't look at Stewart any longer. But then he notices there's an extra group member in their group. 

 

"Did you guys get another member?"

 

"No. Onyx is our savior." And it's Onyx's cue to talk again.

 

"Hello, my name is Onyx. I'm going to be registering today as a new adventurer."

 

"I see. A newcomer. Name's Lyle. How about you join my party instead of staying with that bumpkin over there?"

 

"Do you want to fight again?!"

 

"What? You're not going to invite him to your party. So why can't I?"

 

"I'm sorry. But I won't be joining your party." But that thought was quickly denied. Onyx rejected his proposal. Hearing that made all adventurers around gasp from shock. 

 

"Is that guy mad?"

 

"That was a free trip into the easy lane!"

 

"Don't get cocky!"

 

"Can I ask why? We are definitely better than those kitties over there." Lyle narrows his eyes, sizing up Onyx.

 

"We're the same rank! What do you mean!" Stewart's ready to have another go at Lyle.

 

"It's not that I'm grateful for the offer. But I prefer working alone for now. I want to see what I can do by myself." That's what Onyx wanted to do. He wanted to see how much he could grow alone during his time.

 

Hearing his words, Lyle laughs, "Interesting! You're a unique kid, you know that!" He wasn't mad at all when Onyx refused. But he became even more curious about him now.

 

Onyx doesn't know what he's thinking as he asks Etta, "Do I just go over to any counter to get registered?" 

 

"Mmmhmm. Just pick anyone you like and ask the receptionist. It's a simple procedure."

 

Onyx looks at the counters. He finds all of them are being used. Each one has a long line. 

 

But oddly enough, there is one open without a line at all. That should be alright.

 

Onyx begins to walk over to the counter. And all eyes are on him. Who could blame them?

 

Not only did he walk into the guildhall with Scarlet Lynx: but he also got an invitation from their rivals, Azure Wolves. With all of that, how could they not be interested in him?

 

And it looks like he's about to do something again. 

 

"Hey! Isn't he going towards Madelyn?"

 

"Has that guy gone mad?"

 

That's what they are murmuring now. Even Stewart and Lyle's group look at Onyx in shock.

 

"What is he doing?! Stewart, did you not tell him about the rule?!" Lyle screams at Stewart!

 

"Crap! I forgot to tell him all about it!" Stewart's face pales. He forgot to tell Onyx something important.

 

"What do we do?!" May's expression is just terrified.

 

"Onyx, abort, abort, abort!" The only person who's actually doing something is Reynold. He's the only one to scream out to Onyx to stop moving. 

 

What is wrong with them? Am I doing something bad or what? Onyx can't understand why they kept calling him. But it didn't matter. He's already in front of the woman!


For extra chapters, check out my patreon

7