Volume 2 Chapter 4: Part 3: Adventuring
271 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 2 Chapter 4: Part 3: Adventuring

 

"Raghh!" The fanged boar screams out in agony. But it doesn't last long as it gets cut down by Onyx's sword. 

 

"And that makes 20." Compared to the screaming of the boar, Onyx has a carefree expression. He displays a handsome smile as he wipes the blood off his blade. 

 

He looks up at the sky; it's getting dark. 

 

It's been 8 hours since Onyx left the guild building. Once he got the quests. He quickly dashed out and towards the Forest Of Death. 

 

I've got the herbs, the tusks, and now the meat. Onyx smiles as he stares at the materials piling up on the cart. He finished off two quests. And with this, Onyx finished three. 

 

Onyx picks up the fanged boar and throws it into the cart. If Madelyn saw what he was doing now, she would be spitting blood from how he treated the material. 

 

He chucked the monster onto the cart like they were a pile of junk!

 

Alright. Let's go chase some bears now. The next quest Onyx has to do is to hunt down some thunder bears. 

 

Thank goodness. The bears are very close to here. Onyx was in the Forest Of Death. 

 

For the last three quests, he has been hunting on the outer circumference of the forest. The thunder bear lived a bit deeper in. 

 

"Raggh!" Even though Onyx dealt with his quest quickly, that didn't mean Onyx's journey was going smoothly. Kobolds came out of the brushes.

 

But it only lasted an instant as Onyx cut him down like butter. The smell of blood coming from the weak monsters attracted others to Onyx. It was like bees to a pot of honey.

 

Even if monsters came after him, they would be blown to smithereens with his power. 

 

Dammit! Again?! Onyx makes a strained expression. It wasn't just cutting the kobolds down. Onyx would explode the body. Bones and all were reduced to mush. Even the demon crystal in its body was turned into shards. 

 

Seeing the piles of flesh everywhere, Onyx shakes his head. Gotta control my strength from now on. The guild isn't going to take the demon crystal like this. He can only shake his head as he drags the cart to find the bear. 

 

The more he went in, 

 

"Rawr!" A tiger-like monster came at him!

 

And then came a downward slice. 

 

"Roooooarrr!" Now an ape-like monster came. 

 

And a chop for it. 

 

"Grrrr!" A wolf this time.  

 

Then came another slice. 

 

The deeper Onyx went into the forest, the more monsters came his way. It became tedious for Onyx. When the demons came to attack him, he would chop them down and throw them onto his cart. 

 

It took a while, but Onyx arrived.

 

"Found ya." Onyx smiles. What he's looking at is a group of bears huddling around a cave. Thunder bears. These bears are three times the size of an ordinary one. They have purple skin with yellow markings resembling thunderbolts etched on their body. 

 

And in the center of their huddle is a plant. A bright yellow flower. Its color resembles that of an amber jewel. Sparks of lightning kept discharging from it. And the thunder bears are absorbing that lightning. 

 

"There are 10 of them as well. Perfect." Before Onyx can charge toward the beasts. 

 

Before Onyx can charge toward the beasts, he pauses. That's because the thunder bears are the ones who made the first move! The smell coming from the cart gave Onyx's position away!

 

Guess this is better. Onyx dodges their charge as he jumps, flying across to the opposite side. But this isn't the end; the bears look at him with anger. 

 

And then, their bodies start to shine a bright yellow. Lightning came off of them, and then, 

 

"Roooooarrrr!" All at once, the lightning came flying towards Onyx at rapid speed! Onyx quickly jumps away from the lightning without any hesitation!

 

"Wow, that was pretty nasty." The aftermath of their attack was destructive. The intensity of the heat causes the trees behind him to melt into a puddle. 

 

I should use it now. Since these bears are using magic, Onyx was going to use it as well. 

 

The thunder bears are charging again, ready to fire another blast at Onyx. Before they can do anything, they're stopped in their tracks! They couldn't think as spears went through their heads!

 

"Phew. That was quick. It seems my magic hasn't rusted at all." Onyx smiles, proud of what he did. Since they were going to use magic, why couldn't he do it too?

 

He hasn't used his magic for a couple of days now. As he escorted Stewart back, there was no way he could use it. Not unless he wanted everyone to know he could use dark magic. 

 

The only thing he could do was to use the mana ball consistently, increasing his control over his mana. But this is not enough. He needed to have some real-world experience. 

 

Onyx walks over to the corpses, ready to pick them up from the ground. But then, his instincts kicked in. Danger! He quickly ducks down.

 

Swipe! Something swiped downward at him! Onyx looks up and stares at what tried to strike him. 

 

It's another thunder bear. It was sleeping in the cave. It probably woke up when the bears used those blast attacks. This one is much different from the other. Its size is at least twice that of the thunder bear. What's more, its fur is black, and the yellow lining is red instead. 

 

This one is different. A variant? Looking at the shattered ground, Onyx knows this one is more powerful than the others. Also, the thunder bear doesn't let up from that one attack. 

 

"RAAAWWWWWR!"

 

It continues to charge towards Onyx, swiping at Onyx at every point. Onyx dodges all of them coming his way. He puts some distance between him and the bear. But that's not enough as the bear continues to chase after him. 

 

And then it came. 

 

Purple lightning shines out from the bear's paw! The swipe becomes twice as fast as before!

 

"Damn!" Onyx realizes it as well and raises his sword to intercept it. He does block it. As a result, he got blasted a few feet away from the bear!

 

"Tsk, that actually stung a bit." Onyx lands on his feet on the tree. He looks at the thunder bear; slowly, the purple lightning starts to change into red lightning. 

 

But another abnormality came from the bear! The lightning begins to elongate from its paw, turning into a saber. Well, it wasn't a saber because the bear swiped his hand!

 

And the lightning crackled like a whip, flying towards Onyx! And Onyx got hit point-blank!

 

Onyx went flying again. But this time, he crashed into the trees, destroying them all. 

 

"Gauaahh." Onyx coughs a bit. Never did he expect the lightning to become a whip. 

 

Thank goodness I have this armor. Onyx sighs in relief. If he wasn't wearing this armor, his ribs might've been broken. 

 

The thunder bear jumps into the sky and towards Onyx, ready to slam its entire body down! Onyx quickly rolls away again. 

 

Boom! All the wood under the bear turns into shards. 

 

"Dammit! I got careless." Expecting the unexpected should be the number one thing an adventurer should have. He could already imagine Vargar screaming down his back for getting hit by such a straightforward attack. 

 

Onyx glares down at the bear. I'll make up for it with this! Onyx charges toward the thunder bear. The bear swipes around, causing the thunder whips to fly around!

 

Onyx dodges all the whips with ease. However, 

 

I can't get close to it. Despite dodging the lightning whips, Onyx can't move further toward the beast. Shouldn't there be a limit? He couldn't believe the bear could do this for a long time. 

 

But from the bear's expression, his attacks seem to be never-ending. 

 

How is he- got it! Onyx didn't need to think anymore. He fires off a dark spear. 

 

Pop! When the spear landed on the target, the black bear became furious!

 

It stops using the lightning whip and charges toward Onyx with an unending fury. What it doesn't realize is its legs are bound together.

 

Without any hesitation, Onyx slices the head off! Onyx wipes the sweat off his head and looks down at the corpse. That was a hassle. 

 

He figured it out. The thunder bear could throw lightning whips out like no tomorrow because of the flower. The lightning coming from it was being absorbed into the bear. Take it out, and the bear would become much weaker. 

 

However, Onyx doesn't expect something so powerful to come running at him.  

 

But all in all, he took care of it. I bet this is going to fetch a hefty price. A small grim form on his face as he thinks this. 

 

I need to finish the last one. Onyx quickly throws the bears onto the cart and leaves. There was still one more quest he had to do. 

...

"Huff! Marcus, keep running! Don't slow down. Run as your life depends on it!" Because it was. The person was saying this to his teammate as he was slowing down. 

 

If Onyx saw this scene, he would feel some sort of deja vu. Four adventurers were running for dear life, and right behind them was a group of goblins chasing them down!

 

"Ahhh!"

 

"Lily!" Hearing the scream, the person turns around to see their mage getting shot down. The goblin clipped her on the legs with a stone. 

 

"Ryan, what do we do now!" The person next to Lily screams out, confused about what to do! They all stopped to watch their fallen comrade. The group's captain, Ryan, makes a dark and worried expression. 

 

This wasn't supposed to happen. Ryan's group should be the one being chased. They should be the ones beating the goblins. 

 

Ryan grabs Lily and throws her body over his shoulders. He screams out, "Just keep running!" That's the only thing his group can do now. There was no way he could defeat them all. 

 

As they were running for dear life, they saw him. His group notices another adventurer. And behind him was a cart of monsters. He was looking straight at them as well. 

 

I have no choice. Ryan grits his teeth and shouts, "We're running past him!" The other three's faces grew pale hearing his orders. They never thought their captain would say something like that. 

 

"Captain, but that's-" "I know! But I'm more worried about our lives than his!" Ryan wasn't giving up his teammates' lives for somebody he didn't know. 

 

The others didn't say anything hearing his words. But that silence is enough to show they are all in agreement. The adventurer looks at them, curious as to what they are doing. 

 

But Ryan and the rest quickly ran past him. And sure enough, the goblins' focus turns to him rather than the rest of the group. 

 

Ryan and the rest keep running, not wanting to look back at what they did. It didn't take long for them to get away from the sight. 

"..." After a while, the group stops running. They drop to the floor out of exhaustion. The four didn't know what to say to each other. They know what they did. Guilt fills their hearts, knowing what they did to the adventurer. 

 

"...I'm going to go back," Ryan says as he gets back up. With the guilt seeping in, he decides to return and try to help him. 

 

"But you'll die if you go back!" With how many goblins were there, even if Ryan goes to help him, it's suicide. He was probably dead. 

 

"....I know. But I just can't let that happen." Ryan lays Lily on the side. He was ready to run back despite his teammates' words. 

 

"What were you guys trying to pull?" Ryan's group halted their movements. They didn't expect it. Ryan's group couldn't as their eyes turned wide from surprise. 

 

They slowly turn their heads around to see Onyx looking down at them. 

 

Onyx smiles at them, "Let's have a talk, shall we?"


Check out my Patreon for extra chapters ^^

5