Volume 3 Chapter 3: Part 1: Camping 
153 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 3 Chapter 3: Part 1: Camping 

 

Nigel accepted the role as he noted, ”Let’s decide on the formation now.”

 

As they set off again, Nigel asked Onyx, “Onyx, why did you nominate me as the leader?” He didn’t understand why.

 

“Oh, it’s because you’re the only one for the job.” Onyx said, "Think about it. The only person who’s qualified for the job is only you.

 

The 4 choices we had were: You, Cyrus, me, and Rena. If you think about it, we are the only choices because we have the experience and power to do it.” Compared to the others, he could tell Nigel and Cyrus were more than enough to handle it.

 

"Then why didn't you take it?" Nigel laughed. If they are the 4, Onyx should be the one to take it. He beat Galven. He had more power than him. 

 

"Nah, me and Rena can't be the leaders. It’s because of those two over there.” Onyx pointed at Blaine and Vinnie, “Do you think if  Rena and I decide to lead this team, those guys will listen?”

 

No way! They will definitely try to mess it up and screw him over. That in itself was something he wasn’t going to take. 

 

“So that only leaves you and Cyrus. You’re already at a party while Cyrus is a solo adventurer. So you’re the obvious choice.” Nigel got the experience, so there was no need to pick anybody else. 

 

“I see.”

 

“Hey, if you have any problem, then I’ll help out.” Onyx smiled, “But you should be wary of those two fools. They’re wild cards.” They are not good wild cards. Vinnie and Blaine were super unpredictable with how they acted.

 

“I know. That’s why positions are like that.” Nigel was on the same boat as Onyx. 

 

“Anyways, we haven’t eaten that much.” Onyx took out the picnic basket, “Do you guys want some?”

 

“Yep!” “Mmmhmm.” Nigel and Willa each took one and ate it. The trail continued to go forwards before, 

 

“Everybody, get up now!” Onyx screamed, shocking everybody, “Monsters are coming from our 9!” 

 

“What are you even talking about? How can there be monsters? Look!” Vinnie waved his hand in the direction, and there was nothing there.

 

“Is there something wrong with you?” Vinnie joked. But Onyx ignored him and gave Nigel a look, to which he responded with a nod. 

 

“Everybody, get your weapons ready!” He trusted Onyx’s gut instincts. 

 

“What are we really going to be-” “Shut up! And do it!” Nigel screamed out at him, shutting him up, “We’ll go with formation A.”

 

“Understood.”  Formation A was a spearhead formation. Nigel was at the front, and a few steps behind were Blaine and Vinnie. Onyx was at the center, and the rest were at the back. 

 

This formation focused on Nigel being the head, tanking the brunt of the monster's attack while the rest were on the offensive. 

 

After a few minutes,

 

Nothing. Nothing was coming towards the 

 

“See! I told you that guy is nothing more than a sham!” Vinnie continued to scream out at Onyx in a mocking tone. 

 

"..." But Nigel wasn't stupid. Something is wrong. 

 

Sweat was coming down his forehead. The air felt a little tense. 

 

“Let’s just go back-” “Shit! Shut up and get ready for a fight! Something is  coming!” Nigel’s expression changed as he readied his shield even more. He felt it now. The rumbling sound was getting closer and closer to them. 

 

Cyrus and Rena felt it as they ready their bows. And they saw it. There was a shadow coming towards them. And then, 

 

Shining!

 

A shadow loomed past Vinnie, and it went straight at Willa! Before it could land on her, Onyx caught it right between her eyes.

 

“Get into formation!” Onyx screamed out as he snapped the arrow in two.

 

“Nigel, raise your shield!” Nigel quickly raises it up while Onyx jumps on top of the wagon because a volley of arrows came down onto them! 

 

“Is everybody ok?” Onyx shouted out, 

 

“We’re good! Just some light scratches! Nothing more!” Cyrus shouted out. But then he laughed, “To think goblins will be coming our way.”

 

Onyx sighed. I think this is my fault. Remembering how he said the goblins, maybe he called them down.

 

“Nigel, what are your orders?”

 

“We’ll keep formation-Hey! What the hell are you guys doing?!” Before Nigel could give out orders to them, Vinnie and Blaine rushed out there!

 

“They’re just goblins! We can kill them!” “They’re weak!” The moment they heard it was goblins, the two rushed out. It was time for them to go all out!

 

“...” Called it. Onyx could only shake his head, 

 

“We’ll be switching out plans now! Onyx, do your best to take out as many goblins as possible, and I leave you to make your own decisions. The rest, cover those two fools and me. I’ll shield everybody!” Nigel accounted for this situation as he stayed firm. 

 

“Understood!” Everybody adjusted. Onyx quickly jumped off, “Keep close to the others. I’m going to the frontlines.”

 

Onyx didn't even think as he charged into the battlefield. 

 

“So fast!” Willa was in shock.

 

Graahhh! The goblins screamed out in anger as Onyx charged in. But Onyx quickly took them out without a hassle. I need to take those guys out. However, Onyx wasn't focused on them. Instead, it was the goblin archers behind them. It looks like they’re about to fire out a volley of arrows at the group. 

 

Not happening. Onyx dashed faster, arriving at the side. All the archers focused their sights on Onyx. 

 

It was too late, though. The goblin's heads went flying without any trouble at all!

 

“Wooooooo. That’s such a quick skill right there.” Seeing what Onyx did was a surprise to him. Onyx’s moves were quick and precise. 

 

“Captain was right! The Senior is strong!” What he said before being an exaggeration is all wrong! 

 

Good job. Nigel smiled. Taking out the archers were enough to slow down the pace. And he was not the only one pulling his weight. In the back, Rena was firing off arrows at a quick speed. But she didn’t kill anybody willy-nilly. 

 

She fired arrows toward him at the correct spots, protecting his weak points. 

 

As he was thinking about this, 

 

“Nigel, put your shield up!” Onyx screamed out as he dashed towards him.

 

“Understood!” Nigel raised his shield, and he knew what Onyx was planning to do next. 

 

Onyx jumped onto the shield. 

 

Without a thought, Nigel sent him into the air, flying across the wagon and taking out the wolves coming from the back. 

 

We have to focus on others. It was not just goblins who were attacking them. There were other monsters here around them. 

 

“I got the back. You guys keep focusing on the front.” Onyx wasn’t going to let anything get in the way of them. 

 

It didn’t take long before the battle ended. 

 

“We’re finally done.” Tricia slumped to the ground, and so did Willa. The battle tired the two out. 

 

“How are you guys not tired at all?” Tricia scolded Nigel and the rest of the C-ranks. The look on their faces showed no signs of fatigue.  

 

“You get used to it after a while.” Nigel smiled. But then he looked towards Onyx. But compared to what we did, he did the most. 

 

Onyx took part in most of the killings. However, he was doing something much more important, and it was to fill in the gaps and watch over the backline. What made it more surprising is the guy wasn't sweating at all. 

 

He was running back and forth, yet he looked fine and dandy. But what was wrong? Nigel realized the dark expression on his face. He could see him walking over to somebody. And before he can react to it,

 

“You two damn fools!” 

 

Clack. 

5