Volume 3 Chapter 5: Part 3:  Announcement
84 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 3 Chapter 5: Part 3:  Announcement

 

The quest Onyx chose was the request for farming. Seeing this quest, Madelyn blinked twice. But then she asked, 

 

"Are you sure you want to take this one?" She wanted to make sure if this was the one. 

 

Onyx tilted his head, "Hmm? Is there something wrong with this one?" 

 

Madelyn shook her head, "No, there's nothing wrong with this quest. It's just that the pay isn't good for the work you do. So are you sure you want to do it?" Comparing the pay to the amount of work: the others were much better. 

 

"Mmhmm. I think it's fine." Coins were not an issue for Onyx. He just wanted to move his body. 

 

"Understood then. Be careful on your quest. In addition, when you're done, please have the client give proof." Onyx nodded and left the guild. 

...

"Thank you so much for coming all this way to help!" The client bowed at Onyx. He was an elderly man who looked to be in his 80s. 

 

"It's fine." It didn't take long before Onyx arrived at the village. It was close to Advent City and didn't take half an hour to get there. He continued, 

 

"So, what do you need me to do?"

 

The client handed Onyx a hoe and pointed to an open field, "Can you help me till the soil? I've been planning to make that patch into a garden. But it's been taking me forever to do it."

 

"On it." Onyx got to work and started to till the field. The client was going to tell him how to do it. But, 

 

There's no need to! Seeing how Onyx worked, there was no need to tell him what to do. As the two worked, 

 

"Hmm? Who's that handsome man over there?"

 

"He's such a cutie!"

 

"Back off! I saw him first!"

 

Behind the fences, villagers gathered around to see Onyx working on the field. Onyx could hear all of it. But he didn't care. The only thing he did was roll up his sleeves. 

 

"Kya!" And the moment he did, the shouting went even higher. While Onyx continued to work, 

 

It's just the same as home. As Onyx worked, he was reminded of his time in his village. The reason why he took this quest wasn't because of the money or the work. The other ones would have been better. But when he saw this one, it made him reminisce. 

 

Onyx was focused on adventuring and training that he had forgotten what it was like to be on a farm. 

 

Despite Onyx recollecting memories, that didn't stop Onyx from moving his hands. He was moving his hands so quickly that the hoe was a blur! He finished it after a while. 

 

The client walked over and picked up some of the soil. His eyes turned into surprise as he praised, "I have never seen such soft soil before! It's perfect for planting."

 

"Heh, thanks." Onyx scratched his head. I haven't lost my edge. 

 

The client continued, "Did you ever work on a farm?"

 

Onyx nodded, "Mmhmm. My father and mother are farmers. So I help them from time to time. But now I have decided to work as an adventurer." Wiping the sweat off his face, he asked, 

 

"Are there any other lands you need me to till?" 

 

"Ahh, you don't have to do that?" The quest only asked for Onyx to tend to this land. Making him do the other ones would be too much.  

 

Onyx shook, "I don't mind. There's nothing much for me to do today either way." After finishing up the promotion exam, there wasn't much he would do for a while. 

 

"For my farm, there isn't anything you can do. How about I go ask-"

 

"Please come to my farm, young man! The soil in my field is too rough, and I need somebody strong to till it!"

 

"What are you talking about?! You have a husband at home! Go ask him to work harder! I don't have anyone, and I'm unmarried. My field has been unattended for a long time!"

 

"Young man, please come to my home and help me out. I'll give you something worth your while."

 

Before the client could even ask, a horde. 

 

Yes, a horde of female villagers surrounded Onyx, begging him to work on their farm. They listened in on Onyx and the client's talk. 

 

"..." The client didn't know what to say. I know he's handsome! But cool it! You're going to scare him away! These women are acting like hyenas. 

 

He didn't need to because Onyx cooled them down, "Everybody, you don't need to find. I'll do my best to finish as much as possible. So there's no need for you all to crowd me like this." 

 

Hearing this, the villagers back away from Onyx. And Onyx smiled, "So I'll go to yours first." He randomly pointed at a villager. 

 

And that villager's face brightened, "Understood! Please come this way!" She hooked onto Onyx's arm and dragged him around. 

 

"..." I can walk by myself? Are you that eager? Onyx chuckled a bit when he saw the hooking. However, he didn't mind. 

 

Behind the two, Onyx could feel the female villagers glaring at the two. It's envy and jealousy mixed together. 

 

Well, it was not directed at Onyx, so he didn't mind....kinda. Let's just quickly finish it. As Onyx worked on the second one, he was just as fast, maybe faster than when he did the first.

 

It took him the whole afternoon to finish it all. 

 

Thank goodness I got out of there. Onyx sighed in relief. He couldn't believe he got out of there alive. 

 

"Please stay and have dinner with us!" The villagers kept asking him to spend the night. However, Onyx knew that if he shared a meal with them, he wouldn't be able to leave the village. The look on their faces said it all!

 

They were a bunch of hyenas! No way he was going to stay there for dinner. 

 

But all of it was worth it. Onyx felt a sense of happiness remembering those memories. As he walks into the guild hall, he frowns. 

 

What's going on? Onyx felt something off in the building. He could feel the tension in the air. He walked over to Madelyn,

 

"Madelyn, I've finished my quest. Here's the proof." Onyx handed her a sheet of proof to her. 

 

"I'll give you the reward later. The guild master asked me to tell you to go to his office once you returned. It's urgent."

 

"Understood." Onyx walked up to Oliver's office. Entering the room, 

 

"Oliver, what's....wrong?" Onyx was going to ask him, but the expression on his face made him pause. Never has he seen Oliver make such a strained look.

 

"Onyx, sit down. This is going to be a long one.

 

"...Alright." Onyx sat down and asked again, "What happened?"

 

"There's no good way to say this; do you remember the towns and villages destroyed by the monster?"

 

"....Yes. I remember that." Onyx took a second before his eyes went wide, "No."

 

Oliver makes an even more strained expression as he assures him, "Yes. We recently got a report that another village got annihilated." That's why everyone in the guild was so tense. 

 

One of the villagers who survived the destruction came into the guild hall, begging and crying for the guild to do something. 

 

"But Rena killed the monster!" It didn't make sense! There shouldn't be anything else capable of doing something.......No.

 

There was something. 

 

"So you realized it too."  Seeing Onyx's realized expression, Oliver explains, "You guys killed the one. That means there is a second one."

 

That was the only possibility. And that makes sense to Oliver too. The towns that were taken out in the beginning were spread out. It's impossible for one monster to do all that damage. 

 

But that was not the case with two. 

 

Hearing his reasoning, the office became silent. There are two of them. Never did it occur to Onyx about a second one. But he knew what he had to do. Onyx looked at Oliver, 

 

"Let me deal with it!"

 

"I know I can take care of the monster." He understood how destructive and powerful the monster was when he fought with it. 

 

Oliver shook, "No, you won't be dealing with it."

 

"Huh? Why not?!"

 

"I don't want you to be burdened with something like this. 

 

"But I have done it before! I can do it!"

 

"The other incident is an accident. That should not have happened." Onyx was never supposed to fight with the monster. He was supposed to be there to check on the villages. Not to go and fight the thing.

 

"But-" "There are no buts. I'm telling you to sit this one out. Let me and the other adventurers deal with it."

 

"..."

 

"Do you think we adventurers cannot handle something like this?"

 

"No."

 

"Good." Oliver smiles, "Then you don't have to worry about it and focus on your other quest."

 

"Understood." Onyx didn't say more and walked out of the guild office.

...

Later that night, 

 

Oliver sighed. Thank goodness he listened for once. Oliver thought he needed to take drastic measures to stop Onyx. But it turned out he didn't need to do much.  

 

Oliver took out two orbs from his desk. In an instant, the orbs light up, projecting two large screens.

 

"Oliver, what's the matter? I have a lot of paper that needs to be done." "Brat, do you know I'm on a tight schedule right now? Say it quickly!"

 

From one screen, an exhausted voice came out. And from another, there was an irritated one. But both were busy. 

 

Oliver's face twitched. I haven't even said a word! And do you think I'm not busy too?! 

 

Oliver sighed, "Stop doing your paperwork. This is serious business."

 

"Hmm, what happened?" "Don't tell me."

 

Oliver nodded, "They made their second move."

 

"..." "..." The two voices stay silent. The word that came after was,

 

"Explain."

 

"Rather than their second move, this should be included in the first. There is another one of those monsters besides the one Onyx defeated."

 

"I see. So there's another." "Brat, don't think like that. Who knows whether or not there are more? Those bastards could probably make a handful."

 

"No, I don't think so." The other voice says, "From the corpses we examined, they shouldn't have the ability to make that much. It was too unstable." 

 

"Who knows." Oliver makes a mulling face. Just how many did they make?

 

"But there should be something else we should worry about. But what about Onyx?" 

 

Oliver explained, "You don't have to worry about him. I told him to sit this battle out, and he said yes."

 

"..." "..."

 

"What's with the silence?"

 

"Are you sure the young lad will be sitting this battle out?"

 

Oliver assured, "Relax. I've already told him to stay out. And from his look, he agrees."

 

"...." Are you really sure?

 

"Anyways, they're trying to rise up again. You two should tighten up your defenses."

 

"Gotcha. I'll send more guards to tighten the defenses outside." "I'll do the same too."


Check Patreon For Extra Chapters ^w^

3