(2) Day 0: In Which Destiny Hands Me Her Card(s)
138 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

div>

Starting Status

Sign: Snake

      Buffs: Serpent’s Kiss (Romance twice as easy)

      Debuffs: Curse of the Unspecified (???)

???

?

[collapse]

When I came to, I was no longer floating in space, being devoured by a giant star-snake. Good. I was, however, at a funeral. Bad, probably?

I looked around and noticed the congregation, all in black, surrounding a muddy, rectangular pit. Everything was blurry and unfocused, and it was hard to make out any details. It was like I was inhabiting a memory, one which I could barely conjure up.

Looking down into the earthen hole, I felt a bone-deep sadness, although I’m sure I didn’t know why. The mysterious person being buried today must have been dear to me. The loss was a gaping wound, which made me tear up, as I stood amongst the congregation.

After the casket was lowered, I felt something in my hand (I had hands again!) It was smooth, rectangular, and about the size of my palm. I flipped it over. It was a card.

At the bottom it said “Hole in the Ground.” Above the inscription was a picture. It looked a lot like the scene before me, a muddy rectangular hole and tombstones, except it was missing the crowd. The card itself was a little bigger than my palm, weathered and battered. It looked like it was an antique, the style outdated. I didn’t know what this card meant, but I’m sure it was important. I put it in my pocket (I had pockets, too!).

As soon as I pocketed the card, the scene dissolved, and a new one formed. I think I knew what was going on. I was getting brief flashbacks of the person I was to be in this dream universe. Okay, I was game to see another memory. Although, it didn’t matter much, since I had very little say in the matter. I felt myself pulled along, like a hook was tugging at the collar of my jacket. Before I knew it, I was in another memory.

This time I was on a train. I sat window-side on an old fashioned wooden seat, and had my worn leather boots kicked up. It was bright and cheerful inside the train, and night time outside. In the distance, I could see the twinkling lights of a distant city. This must be where I was taking the train. I felt hope, excitement, and a little trepidation. Would she take me in, when I show up on her doorstep? The thought felt like a non-sequitur. I’m sure I didn’t know who she was. I looked at my hand. Sure enough, another card appeared there.

Train to the City

I barely had enough time to examine the picture before I was pulled into another flashback.

I was facing a very tall woman. She stood in a doorway, and filled it to near capacity. Her arms were folded over her chest, and she looked quite stern. She was visually striking, not just because of her height (though she towered over me), but also because of the mass of wild curls adorning her head, which were the most beautiful, vibrant blue. She sighed, uncrossed her arms, and stood aside, allowing me to entrance. I felt a profound sense of relief as I scurried by her into the building. Another card was in my hand. I looked down.

The Sorceress

The card pictured a woman, one hand pointed up, and one down. Of course, the woman had blue curls.

I pocketed the card, and everything went black once again.


Spoiler

span>

Ending Status

Sign: Snake

     Buffs: Serpent’s Kiss (Romance twice as easy)

     Debuffs: Curse of the Unspecified (???)

Cards of Destiny: 3 of ?? Discovered

???

?

[collapse]

7