Chapter 1 – Part 4
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My objective now is to find a place to eat and sleep. Honestly, even just bread or something will do right now.

While an inn would be ideal, the fact that I’m broke doesn’t help my case at all. The most practical thing I can do is sleep in an alleyway. That sounds awful though, I could get jumped.

While there’s time I can perhaps scavenge for dropped cash. Checking the alleyways is probably the best way I can do this.

My only concern about that idea is I could get beat up and mugged, but I own nothing so they’ll probably leave me alone as long as I don’t tick them off.

I walk further down along the main street for a bit, stopping when I find a safe-looking alleyway.

It seems inconspicuous enough, the inside contains pretty much nothing except random stray rags and a couple of large crates.

As I walk deeper inside, something catches my attention. Behind a crate, there appears to be someone’s head poking out, along with faint heavy breathing.

Something is telling me that perhaps I shouldn’t approach it, but my curiosity says otherwise. What if it was someone who needed help? By helping someone, not only have I done a good deed, but they may also be helpful to me.

“Is that you, Kieran?”

The raspy voice of what sounds like an old woman comes from behind the crate. It's what you’d imagine what someone who hasn’t drank water in a month would sound like.

“Have you finally returned?”

I approach closer and the source of the voice comes into view. A frail, almost skeletal woman with brown hair wearing tattered grey rags sits against the wall, looking at the ground, hands on her stomach. 

In full display, one of the city’s problems has shown itself to me. Not even this world is immune to poverty. This Kieran guy seems to have abandoned her. If her state is so bad that she confuses a stranger for a relative, she may be beyond saving.

I wish I could help her, but unfortunately at the moment, I’m as broke as she is.

“Sorry miss, but you’re mistaking me for someone else.”

She looks over at me with a large frown on her face. 

Why did I even try?

My eyes land on hers, but we do not make eye contact. Her eyes are foggy and dark grey, constantly moving around but never landing anywhere.

“Oh, Kieran. I can no longer even understand what you’re-” she coughs. “Saying.”

My face sets into a weary expression. What do I even do here? There’s nothing I can think of to help her here. Wait. I can call out for help. I just need to get someone’s attention and they could follow me back here. From there I could get a medic or a cleric or something.

“Kieran. Please. Hold my hand. Just one more time?”

Oh god. I can’t just leave her like this can I?

“Please.”

I decide to play along and kneel in front of the woman, placing a grasp on her hand. It feels frail as if I were to even squeeze on it her hand would shatter.

“I missed you so much. Are you eating well? How’s your brother?”

I stay silent.

“I wish your brother was here too. He is a bit misguided but I hope that you stay on good terms with him.”

Just what is this woman’s family situation? 

Suddenly, she lets out a violent cough, expelling blood onto my hand. 

Oh no… I have to call for help. Now.

“H-”

As I try to pull away and scream for help, she tugs on my hand.

“Wait. Please don’t go...”

The raspiness and weakness in her voice have increased tenfold.

“HELP!” I yell out.

“J-just one more thing.”

She weakly turns my hand palm side up while slowly moving her other arm. A blue charm in the shape of a crescent moon, along with eight coins are placed into my hand. 

“It’s all I have but… this is my blessing to you.”

This isn’t mine. This doesn’t belong to me.

“I’ll be joining your father now. I love you, boys. Long live the Qimers…”

Her eyes then start drifting shut. 

No. You’re not going yet.

I quickly let go and made my way out of the alleyway.

“HELP! Call a medic, a doctor, something!”

On my way out, I nearly bump into a man quickly rushing in. A wall of people has formed outside, curiously looking in.

“Are you alright lad?”

The Hispanic cat man from the adventurers guild has made an appearance.

He speaks with an alert raspy voice, his words carrying a Spanish accent.

I quickly point back to the woman behind me.

As soon as he catches a glance at her, the bard quickly looks behind and yells.

“False alarm everyone!”

The crowd now starts to disperse with sighs and groans, with only a hooded figure left standing and staring, the same one from the adventurer’s guild.

He then gives a solemn look at the woman as he takes off his hat and presses it to his chest.

“I see. I wish there was something that can be done, but we’re all aware of the Order of Iron.”

I scowl as confusion and anger set on my face. How could these people see her like this and not do anything?

“Are you not aware? That you’d be killed if you tried to help beggars? You’d both be hanged. You’re lucky the crowd didn’t see her, otherwise, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.”

“What? What kind of stupid law is that?” I blurt out.

He frowns slightly.

“I don’t know your language, but judging by your tone, this is news to you. Young lad, I suggest you leave thi-“

He suddenly pauses and looks at my hands while he places his hat on his head.

I look up at my hand as well. The items are still there, gripped within along with the blood spilt on what’s holding it.

“No. Don’t tell me that’s what you did.”

Oh no.

I frantically shake my head. 

“Unsheathe your blade.”

My legs turn to jelly. This guy is planning to fight me. I’m dead. I’m so dead.

“What are you waiting for? The final coming of sin? Come on, unsheathe it.”

Irritation has become apparent in his voice. He rests his off-hand on the hilt of his rapier, fingers locked around the handle in a reverse grip.

As best as I can move my shaking body, I attempt to pull the sword out of its sheath. 

It’s just stuck in there. I pull and pull, but it barely budges. The man starts slowly tapping his feet. My desperation increases.

After what felt like too long, it finally came out. A polished unstained blade shows itself, reflecting the orange skies of dusk. 

He then briefly squints his eyes.

“Huh. I see.”

The expression on his face is as if he’s both baffled and in denial. He takes his hand off his rapier as he nods to me.

“Get away from here before the guards suspect anything. Take care, lad.”

The man then turns around, meeting up with the cloaked figure as they continue walking.

“Halt. What was going on?” A man says out of view.

“Just an early drunkard. He was making a commotion, but his wife dragged him away before he did anything serious.”

“Ah, carry on then.”

“Sorry about that. So, about the…”

Says the cat man before they go out of earshot.

Cupping my forehead with both my fists, hitting my head with the hilt of my sword, I get into thought.

My heart feels a grip within itself.

I know not everything that happens in a fantasy world is good, but this just feels… off.

Maybe getting beaten and mugged in this alleyway would’ve been the worst-case scenario, that’s what I’ve seen happen in stories. However, just seeing that woman and not being able to do anything about it somehow feels worse.

Even now I’m still worthless.

There was a slight glimmer of hope that I could escape the problems of Earth here, but this is real life after all.

If only there was something, anything I could’ve done. Whatever gift Raquia has given me, I need to figure it out fast. There’s nothing wallowing now can do, I have myself to worry about too dammit.

Calm down and think man.

It’s ok to feel bad about her, but in the end, I do not know this woman. It’s her family’s job to mourn.

Once I find out my gift, surely I can save lives like her’s, even with that ‘Order of Iron’ or whatever. This world has better things to offer, I’m sure of it. I’ll save many more people like her.

Before I leave, I approach the woman and check her pulse. Nothing.

To pay my respects, I shut her unblinking eyes. Now that I know there’s a heaven, I hope that’s where she’s gone.

The sun’s orange glow washes over the woman, leading me to realise that night is coming. It is time for me to go.

I look at the coin pieces on my palm and grip them.

“Lady. Thank you for these. When I find him, I will make sure to return what you gave me to Kieran, tenfold.”

Silently, I leave the alleyway, blending into the many pedestrians. I regrettably do so, but I hold onto the possessions passed unto me.

2