Chapter 2 – Part 3
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This isn’t it, this isn’t what I had in mind at all. 

I thought I’d be piling bricks, nailing planks, or doing whatever they did in that one anime with the guy and the goddess. Instead, they led me here to a nearly finished looking building and immediately tried to get me to lift a stone block half my size.

And I’m supposed to get this to the second floor.

Of course, I looked at them and thought this was some joke, but they all just started picking up blocks themselves.

Rather than just sitting here and crying, I at least tried to lift one. So now I’m making a fool of myself trying to lift this stone block.

I try to pull on the block, but it simply won't budge. I’m just making a fool of myself.

Raquia, if you gave me a blessing, now would be the time to show it.

“This isn’t going anywhere methinks.”

With all my strength, I try to push the block.

“Ya think Gron?” Barka tightens his grip on the stone. 

I try to pull it.

“This is a job for Orcs, it is! If ta Humie can’t even lift a block, how can he pile them? Cement them? Place and hammer beams? Ta boss is a total gronk!” 

I try to roll it.

“Who you calling a Gronk?” The boss walks in to check in on our situation and frowns.

I’m starting to see why these three didn’t want me here.

“Yous for hiring twigs! We can’t work like this, we can’t. It’s nearly done anyways, why’d yous even need him?”

“This is why you don’t give a woman’s job to a man,” Gron says shaking his head at the boss. "You can't hire without a good head."

The boss shakes his head.

“It was worth trying him.”

Grommy rolls his eyes as he ignores us, simply continuing with his work. Gron walks up and stands between the two of them.

“At least hire a Demi-Gigant or some sort of strong folk, boss.” 

“They’re thrice your worth, Gron. They’re stronger than even us Orcs.”

He sighs.

“I’d have him work on tiny stuff like screwing doors, but even with half our manpower we can do that no problem.”

Great. My first job, and I can’t physically do anything. 

But I can’t just give up and starve. 

“I feel a bit bad for ta Humie. He looks desperate. Would it be breaking ta Order of Iron to help him out?”

“Methinks not. He doesn’t exactly look like a beggar he doesn’t.”

“Look, I know a guy who’s willing to hire Humies like yous. He ta nicest guy I know.”

I look at him expectantly.

“I agree with him, boy. Thought you were one of those rare breeds o’ Humies, but you’re better off doing something else.”

“Come with me, I’ll lead yous to him.”

2