1-23 A mistake is made
12 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An hour later, Thayle found Lilly sitting alone in her room absentmindedly playing with her necklace. She rubbed the bluestone with a thumb, lost in thoughts that twisted her aura with doubt.

“Lilly,” Thayle called as she entered the room. “Why are you always in here?”

“I wanted to be alone,” Lilly replied as she looked up with sad blue eyes. “I needed to think.”

“Well, get up,” Thayle said. “You and I are going out.”

“Out?” Lilly repeated as if not understanding.

“Yes, out,” Thayle said with a wide smile. “We are going into the city so I can get you something to eat and maybe to wear.”

“I can go into the city?” Lilly exclaimed and quickly came to her feet. “Is Gersius waiting?”

“Gersius isn’t coming,” Thayle said with a shake of her head. “This is just you, me, and some women from the temple to make sure we’re safe.”

“Gersius isn’t coming? Lilly asked as she froze and looked confused.

“Lilly, you don’t need Gersius to go everywhere with you,” Thayle said with a warm expression. “I am going to go with you and keep you safe. I promise.”

“But Gersius is…” she trailed off, lost in thought.

Thayle wondered what Lilly was about to say. She would give a king's fortune to know what was going on in that dragon's mind. She needed more information, but Lilly's aura said nothing other than she was afraid.

“Sweetheart, it will be fine. I will hold your hand the whole time if it makes you feel better. You will be surrounded by battle priestesses to ensure we are both safe.”

Lilly's aura flared to life the moment Thayle called her sweetheart. Thayle was taken aback as the light began to dance her way, mingling with her own in a display of affection. She caught Lilly's gaze as they looked at her hand and had no choice but to hold it out. Lilly eagerly grabbed it, smiling as she wrapped her fingers around Thayles. The moment was alarming as Thayle began to feel excited by Lilly's sudden interest. She looked into Lilly's bright eyes and had to tell herself that this was for Gersius.

“Come,” she said to break the moment. “There is something we need to do first. I want to disguise your hair.”

“Why do we need to disguise my hair?” Lilly asked as Thayle led her out of the room.

“Because it’s long and a very unusual color. People will notice you in a crowd and start whispering about the woman they saw,” Thayle answered.

“You’re not going to cut it off?” Lilly asked.

“No,” Thayle said in a gasp. She would sooner cut off her own hand than Lilly's long silky hair. Just thinking about it made her remember how much she loved to brush and braid it. She loved -- Thayle paused a moment then took a deep breath before continuing with Lilly firmly holding her hand.

Prime Arlin arranged for the halls to be cleared so Thayle could safely move Lilly to a small office set aside for their use. Inside were four women in full armor and carrying the metal tip clubs common to their order. A table stood along the wall with an assortment of items from small pots to what looked like black fur.

Thayle guided Lilly to a stool and asked her to sit before turning to one of the women. She was tall with creases on her face and firm steel-gray eyes. She carried herself with a calm confidence that the others lacked as they gawked at Lilly's aura.

Thayle addressed the woman as Cassandra and introduced her to Lilly, explaining that Cassandra would help hide who Lilly was.

“She has a lot of hair,” Cassandra said as she lifted the blue mass. “It would be easier to cut some off.”

“No!” Lilly and Thayle said in unison, causing Cassandra to groan and let the hair drop.

“Then I will do my best to pin it up,” she sighed and went to the table.

Thayle nodded and then noticed the staring gazes of the other three women. She gave them a disapproving glare, but Cassandra returned and quickly set them right.

“Stop gawking,” the woman barked, bringing the three to attention. “You were warned of what you would see.”

Thayle knew these women were hand-picked by Prime Arline, sworn to secrecy, and warned of what to expect. Still, she didn't blame them for being amazed by Lilly's bright aura dominated by a shadowy dragon's head.

Cassandra began to carefully wrap Lilly's hair, using pins to hold it in place as tightly as she could. Thayle was glad she had been chosen because she had a reputation for having the patience of a mother and the demeanor of a saint. She didn't react at all to Lilly's aura, working as if nothing were out of place.

“This will be quite a weight on her head and likely to be very hot. She may start to sweat,” Cassandra said as the final wraps of hair were pinned in place.

“Lilly will be fine with the weight,” Thayle said and gave Lilly a smile. “She is stronger than she looks.” She didn't bother to comment on the heat because she wasn't sure Lilly would notice. As far as Thayle could recall, she had never seen Lilly sweat and wondered if she could at all.

“What are you doing to my hair?” Lilly asked as she raised a hand to feel it.

“We need to pin it up so we can cover it effectively,” Thayle said as she came to Lilly's side and looked into her deep blue eyes. “Now that it's out of the way, we can put on your wig.”

“What’s a wig?” Lilly asked innocently, causing a few giggles from the others.

“Mind your age,” Cassandra said to the others, then picked the black fur from the table. She carried it to Lilly and held it out so she could see it clearly. “This is a wig. It is meant to hide your real hair so nobody will recognize you.”

Lilly reached up in wonder and ran her fingers through the long strands with a smile.

“Is that somebody's hair?” she asked and looked between Thayle and Cassandra.

“It's horsehair,” Thayle said with a wide smile at how playful Lilly was being. “It's trimmed and straightened to look like human hair. Then it's woven to netting so we can pin it over your real hair.”

“This is so nobody will see my blue hair?” Lilly asked as Cassandra placed it over her head and began to straighten it.

“Yes,” Thayle said. “We want to hide it for a little bit so we can have some fun without drawing unwanted attention.”

Lilly nodded, much to the annoyance of Cassandra, who was trying to pin the wig in place. She fussed with it for a few minutes more, then stepped back and smiled at her work.

“It looks good,” Thayle said as she admired the effect.

“Can I see it?” Lilly asked as she ran a hand over her new hair.

Casandra nodded and snapped her fingers, commanding the other women to wake up and bring Lilly a mirror. One of them quickly went to the table and brought back a small round mirror. She held it as Lilly turned her head from side to side, touching the dark black hair. It wasn't quite as long as her other hair, but it was thicker and with wavy curls. Lilly pulled the curls a few times, smiling wider and wider as she delighted in the effect.

“So people won’t stare at me now?” she asked excitedly.

“She will be lucky if every man on the street doesn’t ask her to marry them,” Casandra said under her breath.

Thayle gave her a shake of her head and turned back to Lilly to take in her new look. Lilly now had black hair that framed a gentle pale face and fell about her shoulders in waves and curls. She looked every bit as beautiful as before, only now there was a rather seductive quality to it. Thayle suddenly realized why Cassandra made her comment and began to doubt the wisdom of taking Lilly out. Cassandra went to the table and gathered several jars, but Thayle put a hand on her shoulder.

“I don’t think face paints are a good idea,” Thayle said as the two women looked at Lilly’s beaming smile.

“No, definitely not,” Cassandra agreed and quickly set the jars down. “Are you sure this is a good idea?”

Thayle wasn't sure as doubts and worries played through her mind. Lilly's blue hair made her look innocent, but this dark hair made her look seductive and predatory. She looked like a woman accustomed to being on the arm of a king, and her blue eyes were almost inviting.

“I am sure,” Thayle lied, drawing a glare from Cassandra, who saw the truth in her light.

“Then let’s get this over with,” Casandra said and took up her weapon. “Just keep her away from the taverns.”

Lilly smiled and held her hand out to Thayle, waiting patiently to be guided. Thayle suddenly felt uncomfortable as the others watched intently. She took Lilly's hand and helped her up, wishing her order couldn't see auras at all.

“So, where are we going?” Lilly asked as Thayle guided her out and into the halls.

“We are going to the market so I can buy you a few things,” Thayle answered.

“A ring might be a good start,” Cassandra said, causing a round of giggles from the other women.

Thayle was grateful they were following behind, so they couldn't see her blushing. With a glance, she saw the unmistakable dance of Lilly's light as it flowed to her, clearly displaying Lilly's love. The damage was done, and the women all knew what Lilly was thinking. With nothing more to lose, she pressed on and took them out of the temple.

The city streets were relatively quiet as the women crossed the east road and headed down a cobbled lane. There were dozens of wagons and carts, dressed in bright colors and selling wares of every kind. The buildings behind them were larger shops with living spaces above, creating a man-made canyon of glass and stone. This street was far more active, with people browsing the merchants or hurrying to begin the morning chores.

Lilly took it all in, pointing out anything of interest and asking to see the various wares. She insisted on seeing all the patterns at the carpet merchant and wanted to smell every jar of spice from the stall across the lane. She danced from merchant to merchant, enjoying the experience and talking as if all was right with the world. She even started to talk about Gersius, speaking fondly of how he took her shopping and bought her necklace. She insisted on pulling it out and showing the gathered women, insisting that he had given it to her as a gift.

“So who is this Gersius to you then?” Cassandra asked as Lilly put the necklace away.

Lilly struggled to answer the question and nervously squeezed Thayle's hand, indicating she wanted help. Thayle answered for her, explaining that he was a friend.

“Just friends?” Cassandra asked as she looked at the joined hands before smiling at Thayle.

“A very good friend,” Thayle corrected with a hint of annoyance.

“Good, I would hate for him to get in the way,” Cassandra said with a playful smile and turned away.

Thayle wanted to put the woman in her place but didn't want to do it in front of Lilly. She swallowed her frustration, but a moment later, an opportunity came when Lilly discovered a cart that sold handbells. Lilly released Thayle's hand so she could play with the bells, ringing them with great enthusiasm. Thayle immediately pulled Cassandra aside and tried to explain what was going on before the woman made any more comments.

“This is not what it looks like,” Thayle said and glanced over her shoulder to make sure Lilly wasn’t watching. “Lilly and I are just friends.”

“Are you good friends like this Gersius is?” Cassandra teased.

“Lilly and Gersius are coming together in love,” Thayle said with a sigh. “They had a setback, and Lilly has latched on to me in her pain. I am only doing this to take her mind off him for a bit.”

“Oh, her mind is definitely not on him,” Cassandra agreed. “She has scarcely let go of your hand all day.”

“You know what Lilly is,” Thayle said in a low voice. “She isn't accustomed to human behavior and learned to hold hands to feel safe. She wouldn't come out here unless I promised to hold her hand the whole time.”

“She seems very human to me,” Cassandra replied as she watched Lilly ringing a bell in each hand. “She is more like a child, playing with everything like a little girl.”

“You don't understand dragons,” Thayle explained. “She has no concept that her behavior is below her age. All of this is brand new to her, and she wants to experience it. If you spend any time with her, you will see there is a very adult woman inside.”

“You don't have to defend her to me,” Cassandra said with a smile. “I will not judge you for your attraction to this girl. I dare say if I was younger, I would find her hard to resist.”

Thayle felt her heart pounding as this conversation when entirely the wrong way. She realized a firmer touch was needed and perhaps a little reality about the dragon Cassandra was calling a child.

“Listen to me,” Thayle said in a firm tone. “That girl has killed more people than this city has seen in murders in twenty years. She even eats them when she has the chance. I have seen her shatter the gates of a major city then slaughter the guards like a wild animal. Ten men in full armor torn apart in seconds!” Thayle added emphasis by snapping her fingers.

Cassandra’s face lost all of its amusement as she took a second look at Lilly with a new appreciation.

“Don't let her behavior fool you,” Thayle pressed. “She is a dragon and doesn't take kindly to being threatened. If we get into trouble, it isn't Lilly we will need to protect, but the people on the street. Lilly will turn into a scaled monster of teeth and claws then slaughter everything in her path until she feels the danger is gone.”

“Should she even be out here?” Cassandra asked in shock.

“I told you, I needed to get her mind off of Gersius. Speaking of him, if you want to see who she loves, threaten Gersius. She will not tolerate anyone threatening him and has proven it several times.”

“I understand,” Cassandra said in a reverent tone as Thayle's aura confirmed that everything she said was the truth.

“Then let’s have no more of these little jokes,” Thayle insisted.

“Of course, high priestess,” Cassandra said with a nod. “But, if you don’t mind my saying. It is obvious the girl is attracted to you. Her light feeds you even now.”

“Lilly doesn't understand love,” Thayle said with a sigh. “It has something to do with dragons, but they don't love like humans like do.”

“But her light clearly shows she loves,” Cassandra insisted.

“Lilly and Gersius went through a terrible ordeal that I am not at liberty to discuss. Somehow in the process, Lilly awoke to new feelings and grew beyond what was normal for a dragon. Now she struggles to understand what these feelings mean and what to do with them. You should have seen how her light flowed to Gersius; it was like a river, crashing over him in great waves. Unfortunately, as I said, they had a terrible setback, and now Lilly is confused. I am trying my best to help her over it so she can return to his arms where she belongs.”

“You are doing something very noble,” Cassandra said and put a hand on Thayle's shoulder. “It must pain you to see it, considering where your light is flowing.” She smiled at Thayle and walked away, leaving her alone with her thoughts.

“Thayle!” Lilly called as she played with a collection of long tubular bells. “Listen to these. They are so pretty.”

Thayle returned to Lilly's side as she tapped at the collection of chimes producing a tinkling sound.

“Those are called chimes,” Thayle said with a smile. “People put them in their gardens, so the wind will cause them to ring.”

“Can we have a garden so we can have some?” Lily asked with a bright smile.

“We?” Thayle choked and caught Cassandras giving her a sympathetic gaze.

Lilly didn't answer as she was immediately distracted by the sound of clopping feet. Four men on horseback paraded down the street in the livery of a local house. Lilly smiled as they went by and loudly pronounced that she thought horses were delicious. All the women shared glances and then stared at Thayle, who questioned the wisdom of bringing Lilly out again.

“Come, Lilly,” Thayle urged.”There is a shop down the street I want you to see.” Lilly came running and immediately took Thayle's hand, causing her to blush as the other women took note. She quickly took Lilly to a proper shop that sold dresses, gowns, and fancy robes. It was where most of the women of Ulustrah got their ceremonial garments, and Thayle thought Lilly would like something softer.

“Gersius took me to a place like this,” Lilly exclaimed as she saw the walls hung with garments and colored cloth. “He bought me my green dress.” Lilly sighed and squeezed Thayle's hand as she commented that she wished he was there.

“See,” Thayle said with a whisper to Cassandra, who nodded back that she had noticed.

Lilly played with the fabrics for just a moment before a thin woman with a powdered face approached and asked if she could help them. Lilly took one look at the woman’s face and promptly asked her why she was so white.

“Lilly,” Thayle exclaimed in embarrassment. “She is wearing a little face powder.”

“Why?” Lilly asked innocently as she stared at the annoyed woman.

Thayle had to launch into a long explanation of why women wore face paints and powders. The shop woman seemed confused that such a thing had to be explained to a grown woman but stood by and waited. Lilly looked as if she was struggling to understand, then something across the room caught her eye. She ran across the shop, dragging Thayle to a wall full of robes.

“What is this?” Lilly asked as she ran her fingers through a thick white frill.

Thayle smiled as Lilly played with a snow-white robe trimmed with a furry ruffle. Lilly took the garment down and rubbed it against her cheek, exclaiming how soft it was.

“Is your robe this soft?” Lilly asked as she continued to play with it.

“Probably not,” Thaye said with a few agreeing comments from the others. “You can try that one if you like?”

Lilly's eyes lit up as she held the robe out to Thayle and asked for help putting it on. Thayle took the garment and eased Lilly into the long sleeves. She stepped around to the front and pulled it tight before tying the belt around her slender waist. She stepped back to admire the look as Lilly spun around, trying to see herself. She finally spotted a mirror and dashed across the room to spin in front of it.

“The girl asks the shopkeeper why her face is white when her own skin is as white as that robe,” Cassandra remarked.

“She is a little pale,” Thayle admitted as Lilly practically blended in.

“Pale?” Cassandra laughed. “The girl looks like a cloud in the sky. I have never seen anyone so naturally white. If you painted her lips and shadowed those eyes with something dark, she would be stunning.”

Thayle didn't respond as the image of Lilly with red lips, and big shadowed eyes haunted her thoughts. Cassandra commented that blue lips might be better, prompting Thayle to ask her to stop. Lilly belonged to another, and she didn't need someone like Cassandra encouraging anything more. Cassandra gave her a knowing look and wandered off as Lilly continued to spin.

“Can we get Gersius so he can buy this for me?” Lilly asked as she finally came to a stop.

“I will buy it for you,” Thayle said as she came to join Lilly’s side.

“You will?” Lilly asked as her aura filled with light and began to swirl to Thayle.

“Of course, I will,” Thayle laughed and reached up. She took hold of the hood and pulled over Lilly's head as the woman practically danced in excitement. Lilly looked like a princess with the ruffle around her face, but it was hard to tell where the robe ended and the skin began.

“How do I look?” Lilly asked with a big smile.

“You look beautiful,” Thayle said, no longer caring who heard. She paid for the robe and asked the woman to wrap it but had to wrestle it off of Lilly, who wanted to wear it for the rest of the day. Lilly didn't understand why she couldn't keep it on, so Thayle had to explain that she wanted to keep it clean. She had to promise Lilly she could wear it in the west wing as much as she wanted before the little dragon would let it go.

Once outside, she tried to take Lilly to a bakery, but Lilly went to the very next shop and pressed her face to the window. Thayle nearly laughed as she realized the shop was a jeweler, and Lilly was starting at the gold on display.

“Is something wrong with her?” Cassandra whispered.

Thayle leaned back to explain that gold was special to dragons like Lilly, and she craved it far more than any human they knew.

“I don't crave it,” Lilly said, indicating she had overheard. “I need it, but I had a lot more gold than this. I bet I could have filled this entire shop and spilled out into the street.” She stepped back as her aura filled with sadness and pain, her longing blue eyes turning away from the story.

“I’m sorry,” Thayle said and squeezed her hand. “I didn’t mean to remind you of your loss.”

“I know you didn’t,” Lilly said and wiped an eye. “I wish I could make more drinks cold. People were willing to give me gold and silver for it.”

“Make drinks cold?” Cassandra asked.

“It’s a long story,” Thayle said with a sigh.

“I want my hoard back,” Lilly said as her eyes began to glisten with tears.

“Oh, sweetheart, please don't cry,” Thayle urged, then instantly regretted it. Lilly's aura suddenly came to life, reacting to being called a sweetheart. Thayle saw the light reach out, flowing to herself, as the others gasped at the display. The damage done, she smiled at Lilly and offered to go inside and buy her something.”

“You will buy me something?” Lilly asked as she wiped an eye.

“I will pick it out, and you can add it to your new hoard,” Thayle said. “Just stay out here and wait. I will be right back.”

Lilly smiled with wide eyes, her face full of youthful innocence. She twisted and blushed in a playful dance, and as Thayle felt her heart begin to race. Lilly was a delight to be around, and her mannerisms were so joyfully feminine that she was almost too hard to resist. She pried her hand free and hurried inside, leaving her in the care of the other women. Minutes went by as Thayle worked with the shopkeeper to pick something out. Lilly swayed gently as she watched through the window, anxiously waiting to see what Thayle bought.

“And where has a flower-like you been able to hide so long?” came a well-spoken voice.

Lilly and the others turned around to see a strong man with shoulder-length hair and a well-trimmed beard. He was dressed in fine coats, woven with golden threads and trimmed decoratively. He was clearly a man of substantial wealth and stood with his shoulders back as if expecting Lilly to swoon. His glaring eyes and slight smile made him look haughty as he gazed over every inch of Lilly's form.

“Are you talking to me?” Lilly asked in surprise.

“Indeed I am,” the stranger said as she stepped closer. “Now why are you standing outside when you should be inside with me choosing the item I will buy you?”

“Thayle is already getting me something,” Lilly said and went to point into the shop as the man drew too close. An arm covered in metal plates was raised between them, halting him in his tracks as Cassandra locked his arrogant eyes.

“You need to look elsewhere. The girl is already betrothed to another and not available,” she said as the other women moved to back her up. The man laughed, but his eyes registered his anger as he turned to face the woman in his way.

“And who are you?” he asked with obvious annoyance in his voice.

“A priestess of the temple Ulustrah and part of the lady's personal bodyguard,” Cassandra replied. “Now, move along. The lady is not available.”

“Can the lady not speak for herself?” he demanded, the irritation beginning to show.

“I speak all the time,” Lilly replied innocently.

“Of course you do, my dear,” he said, turning to her with a smile. “Now, Come, let's go someplace less crowded and have something to drink.” He reached for Lilly's hand, but Lilly recoiled in alarm. Cassandra immediately stepped between them, drawing her club to make sure he understood.

The man laughed again, calling her a fool and suggesting she learn her place. The temples had no political authority, and her interference would reflect poorly on her order. He then introduced himself as Baron Canterlor before telling them to get out of his way.

“You have no idea how much danger you are in,” Cassandra said without moving an inch. “You are poking a bear with a very short stick.”

“How dare you threaten me!” he shouted as a crowd began to form. “Your order will suffer for this outrage and send you to my estate to grovel at my feet.”

Cassandra didn't move, but the other women closed in, getting between the man and Lilly with weapons in hand.

“You think you are the only one who brought guards?” he laughed and held up a hand. On the signal, five men in chain armor closed in behind him with hands hovering over swords. The moment caused a silence to fall over the crowd as a fight was seconds away from breaking out.

“What is the name of Ulustrah is going on here?” Thayle shouted as she stepped into the street.

“High Priestess, this fool has taken an inappropriate interest in the lady,” Cassandra said.

“Another Ulustran wench,” the man laughed and turned to face Thayle. “You seem to have some authority. Now tell your lapdogs to step aside. The lady and I are going for a meal and then a little privacy so we can get to know one another better.” He finished his point with a smile and wink at Lilly that tinted the poor dragon's aura with fear.

Thayle could feel the blood rushing to her face as sickening anger stirred her heart. Arrogant fools like him were why the people hated the nobility in most lands. They believed their wealth and connections gave them the right to take whatever they wanted, especially women. The temple of Ulustrah was known to shelter women whose only crime was looking too pretty and catching the wrong eye. Now she was face to face with just such a man who wanted Lilly for his desires.

“You and your men need to walk away,” Thayle said in as calm a voice as she could manage.

“I will leave when the lady is on my arm,” he said with a smile.

“I will break your arm if you don’t turn around and go this instant!” Thayle cried.

The man began to laugh with a broad smile at Thayle's threat. He looked to his companions, who also began to laugh before turning back his smile, now an angry scowl.

“How dare you defy me! I will have you dragged through the streets to be tied in the square and publicly whipped!” he shouted.

None of them saw the movement until it was far too late, and Baron Canterlor was sailing to the ground. Lilly pounced on the man, her hands twisting around his throat as her eyes blazed with blue fire.

“Don’t you hurt my Thayle!” she shouted in the dual voice as she flattened him to the ground.

The people jumped back in alarm, the shock of her voice sending a terrifying chill down the spines of all who heard it. His guards stumbled away as if an actual dragon had just burst from the ground and were threatening to eat them.

“You wicked men and your terrible whips!” Lilly screamed as she tried to strangle him. “I will rip your arms from their sockets and eat them while you bleed to death!”

“Dear Ulustrah!” Cassandra gasped as Thayle ran past her and desperately tried to stop the enraged dragon.

“Lilly!” Thayle cried as she fought to pull her hands off the trapped man. “Sweetheart, let go!” It took three of them to pry her loose, and she fussed and struggled to finish the man off.

“She’s as strong as a horse!” Cassandra groaned as Lilly wrestled to get free.

“Lilly, please calm down!” Thayle pleaded.

“I won't let him hurt you!” Lilly yelled and kicked out at the man as his guards helped him up. He stumbled away, clutching his throat, and disappeared through the crowd.

Thayle grabbed Lilly by the face, cupping her cheeks with both hands to focus Lilly's attention.

“Sweetheart, please listen to me. It's alright now. He's gone; you scared him away.” She spoke softly as Lilly looked deep into her eyes and started to cry.

“He said he was going to hurt you,” she sobbed.

“He was a mean person,” Thayle agreed. “But he was only bluffing. He would never have dared lay a hand on me.”

“That fool won't ever threaten a priestess of Ulustrah again,” Cassandra added.

Thayle pulled Lilly into a hug and rubbed her back, urging her to calm down. She thanked Lilly for protecting her, and Lilly promised that he would have died before he hurt Thayle.

“Lilly, why did his threat upset you so much?” Thayle asked as she stepped back to look Lilly in the eyes.

“Because those men in Whitford showed me what a whip was,” Lilly said with trembling lips. “They showed me again and again, hurting me because they enjoyed it.”

Cassandra gasped as Lilly’s aura filled with tormented pain. Thayle wanted to cry herself to see such a painful memory brought back. Lilly shook and sobbed as Thayle tried to hold her still, wishing they had never left the temple.

“Come, sweetheart. We need to go back to the temple,” Thayle urged and put an arm around Lilly’s back to guide her.

“We should hurry,” Cassandra said as the other women formed a ring about her. “The crowd is large and growing larger by the second.”

Thayle was so lost in the moment she hadn't noticed how many people had gathered. Now a hundred or more were whispering and pointing at the little dragon in her arms. Thayle looked to Lilly, and her mouth fell open as she realized what they were seeing.

“Lilly, your eyes,” Thayle cried as she saw them dancing with blue flames. Somehow the anger of the moment had rekindled the dragon fire, and now it was plain for all to see.

“Get her moving!” Cassandra ordered. “People are running down the streets to spread the word. There will be thousands here in a few minutes.”

Thayle wasted no time and rushed Lilly through the crowds, the others pushing the people aside to make way. They raced down the street, trying to stay ahead of the people as they followed in curiosity.

“Did I do something wrong?” Lilly asked as they entered the temple's outer yard.

“No, Lilly. I’m the one who did something wrong,” Thayle replied as dread clawed at her heart. They raced up the steps and into the temple, where they finally paused to catch their breaths.

“You must get her back to the west wing,” Cassandra urged. “This is a public space. The crowd can follow you in here.”

“I just need a second to catch my breath,” Thayle panted as Cassandra put a hand on her shoulder.

“You are not to blame,” she said with a motherly smile. “And you should be happy. This Gersius isn’t the only one she would flatten a city to protect.”

“She is still learning about love and overreacted,” Thayle insisted.

“Perhaps,” Cassandra replied with a nod. “But ignoring the truth won’t make it any easier.”

“Did something happen?” came Prime Arlin’s voice as he hurried across the temple. “The guards said you ran in here in a panic.”

Thayle hated to tell him the plan had gone wrong, but time was of the essence. She quickly explained the encounter with the nobleman and the subsequent threats. She then had to describe how Lilly attacked him in the street, trying to strangle the life from him.

“Is he still alive?” Prime Arlin asked in alarm.

“Barely,” Thayle said in shame as she covered her face.

“It took three of us to wrestle her off him,” Cassandra said. “She screamed in a voice that chilled the blood as she threatened to rip his arms off and eat them.”

“Oh dear,” Prime Arlin said as Cassandra finished the story.

“A crowd gathered to watch the fight, but her eyes caught everyone's attention. We had to push our way out and hurry back, but many followed. I regret they know we are in the temple. I fear they will soon follow us in soon.”

Prime Arline looked at Lilly's eyes and noted the blue light as fires danced on the surface. Of course, this would cause a stir, and all eyes would be turned to the temple of Ulustrah. He quickly turned to the hall and called out to get the attention of every woman currently on duty.

“The temple is closed until further notice. Those of you not in armor will wear armor from now on. Those you currently in armor out front now! I want you to reinforce the guards at the gate and send that crowd away. You are to tell them nothing about our guests and deny knowing why the temple is closed.”

“I am so sorry,” Thayle cried. “I honestly thought this was a good idea.”

“It was a good idea, but perhaps a little risky,” Prime Arlin said as he turned back to Thayle. He saw the worry on her face, so he took one hand and gently rubbed, trying to soothe her nerves. “Be at peace, daughter of Ulustrah. I know what you were trying to do, and I approved of it. I accepted the risk, and I will deal with the outcome.”

“But are we safe here now?” Thayle asked.

“All the people know is a strange woman with glowing blue eyes attacked a local lord,” Prime Arlin replied. “If somebody of authority comes to investigate, I will provide a suitable story and send them away.” He looked down to see Lilly was still clutched to her other hand and noticed the light. With a look of surprise, he turned to Cassandra and asked her to take Lilly back to the west wing so he could speak to Thayle.

Thayle knew what was coming, but Prime Arline waited until they were alone before he said a word.

“You know what it is I see,” he stated as Thayle remained silent and nodded. “So, what do you plan to do about it?”

“Nothing,” Thayle said with a shake of her head. “My first duty is to Ulustrah and the charge she has given me. It is my responsibility to see Lilly and Gersius together as they were intended to be.”

“Even though your own heart desires a different outcome?” he asked.

“It isn't mine to desire,” Thayle said and looked up defiantly. “I want what's best for them, nothing more. As soon as this wound heals and they come together, I am going back to my temple.”

“I am sorry for you,” he said and put a hand to her shoulder. “You of all people deserve somebody to love them.”

“Ulustrah loves me,” Thayle replied as a tear ran down her cheek. He nodded his understanding and let her go, leaving her to walk in shame for her thoughts. She was almost to the door when she bumped into Cassandra coming the other way, and the motherly woman stopped to talk.

“I see the colors of shame in your aura,” Cassandra said in a tone of sympathy. "You have nothing to be ashamed of.”

“I should never have allowed my heart to get involved,” Thayle replied.

“You haven't invited this,” Cassandra said and took on a motherly tone. “From what I can tell, the girl has been pushing on you, not the other way around.”

Thayle sighed and looked down the hall, wondering if she should give Lilly some space.

“I have seen that look many times,” Cassandra interrupted. “Your place is with her and this Gersius. It is obvious Ulustrah wanted you to handle this, and you are strong enough to do what needs doing.” With that, she smiled and turned away, leaving Thayle alone with her final words. Cassandra believed Thayle could do the task set before her, but deep down, Thayle wasn't sure that was true.

2