1-24 The truth comes out
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m sorry, Lilly said as Thayle sat her on the bed. “I shouldn’t have attacked that man.”

Thayle sat on the other bed with a hand to her face trying to think of how best to handle the situation. Taking Lilly out had been a mistake, but for reasons she found surprising. In a fit of rage, she had come to Thayle's defense in a very public way. Now the temple was closed, and word of the incident would spread far and wide.

“Say something,” Lilly urged as tears moistened her eyes.

“Lilly,” Thayle began with a sigh. “I am not angry about what you did.”

“But you seem mad at me,” Lilly replied. “Why are you so upset?”

Thayle had no idea how to explain it, considering she didn't understand it herself. Somehow Lilly was displaying affection for her, provoking a strong response. She needed to find some way to take Lilly's mind off the recent incident and then remembered the gift.

“I almost forgot,” Thayle said and reached for her pouch. She withdrew an object and kept it hidden in her hands as she smiled at Lilly. “Hold out your arms.” Lilly looked nervous but did as Thayle asked, holding her arms out between them. Thayle reached up with a pair of silver bands woven to look like delicate ropes. She wrapped them around Lilly’s wrists while explaining that they were called bracelets.

“This is for me?” Lilly asked as she held up an arm to inspect the object. She held it under her nose and took a long sniff, explaining that she could smell the silver. Everything about her mood changed as she turned her arm over to see three tiny blue stones and held it close to her necklace.

“That's why I bought them,” Thayle said as Lilly noticed the similarity. “I wanted them to match your necklace.”

“They are beautiful,” Lilly exclaimed as she held up both wrists.

“And they are your,” Thayle replied with a smile. “Just remember to take them off before you turn into a dragon. I would hate for you to break them.”

“I love them!” Lilly cried and suddenly lunged off the bed. Before Thayle could react, she was wrapped in a hug as the little dragon crushed her in her grip.

“Lilly, what are you doing?” Thayle cried in alarm.

“I am giving you a hug,” Lilly said as her grip loosened. “Isn’t this how humans show affection?”

“Well, yes,” Thayle said as she struggled not to return the hug. “But, you should only show affection like this for people you love.”

Lilly suddenly pulled away and looked at Thayle curiously before looking down and letting out a sigh.

“I did something wrong again,” she said and played with a bracelet.

“You didn't do anything wrong,” Thayle urged. “You just need to think about what you're doing. That's the kind of affection you should be showing to Gersius.”

“Because I love him?” Lilly asked.

“Exactly,” Thayle urged.

“So why can’t I show it to you then?” Lilly said innocently.

Thayle froze as the implication of Lilly's words drowned out her ability to think. Gersius was right, and Lilly didn't understand the rules of love. She was bonding to whoever was closest, and right now, that was Thayle. She realized that in order to do her job, she needed to be away from the little dragon. With that, she got up and went to leave, but Lilly grabbed her hand.

“Wait,” Lilly cried. “Don’t go.”

“I have to,” Thayle said without looking back.

“But why?” Lilly pleaded. “Did I make you mad at me again?”

“No,” Thayle replied and had to take a steadying breath. “Lilly, am I your friend?”

“You're more than my friend,” Lilly said sweetly.

Thayle nodded and pulled her hand free. “That's why I have to go,” she said and hurried through the door. She practically slammed it and leaned against the other side to take a steadying breath. Doubts began to plague her mind as she considered the situation and the challenges it would create. Maybe it was better to go back to her temple and let somebody else fix the relationship between Lilly and Gersius. Prime Arline could undoubtedly recommend a caretaker who wasn't so close to Lilly. Thayle wasn't sure what to do, but for right now, she headed out, hoping the others were still in the mess hall.

Gersius sat at a narrow table nursing a tall stein of beer. Tavis and Ayawa sat across from him, laughing and playing as Ayawa tossed her fifth mug aside. It was a familiar sort of place, decorated to appear as any other tavern typical to a large city, despite being under the mountain. For Gersius, it offered a sense of normalcy and a chance to let go of his worries. Still, he had barely touched his drink as he kept wishing Lilly were there to cool it. Tavis and Ayawa were enjoying themselves as he had seen them do dozens of times before, as if this was just another day.

“Sheesh, woman, you can drink,” Tavis laughed as Ayawa stacked her mug on the others. He turned to Gersius and joked that he was still on his first one.

“I am pacing myself,” he replied and took a tiny sip.

“Goodness man, keep up,” Tavis urged with a smile. “Ayawa will drink this place dry before you get to your second.”

“Not a chance,” Gersius said as she set his mug down. “I would die long before she even got drunk.”

“A wise man knows when he is outmatched,” Ayawa agreed and waved her hand to call for another drink.

“Where do you put all that?” Gersius asked with a shake of his head. “It makes my stomach turn just to think of how many you have had.”

“Both her legs are hollow,” Tavis said with a smirk. “If you tap them, you can hear an echo.”

“Don’t be a weakling,” Ayawa groaned. “Drink that up and get a few more. I am sure you need them.”

Gersius shook his head again and pushed the mug aside, stating that it was a fool's errand to enter a drinking contest with Ayawa the bottomless. Tavis laughed and took a swig of his beer, saying he wished he had known how resilient Ayawa was.

“I am sure you do,” Gersius laughed. “I heard she challenged you to a drinking contest to get you to marry her.”

“I put a dagger to his throat to get him to marry me,” Ayawa corrected. “The drinking contest was to see if he was worthy of me.”

“I guess you did alright,” Gersius said as he glared at Tavis.

“I must have, though I don’t recall a moment of it,” Tavis replied with a shrug. “All I know is I woke up the next morning in bed with a naked southern warrior maiden.”

“You were adequate,” Ayawa remarked as her sixth drink arrived. “But I did have second thoughts.”

“Have you ever had a hangover?” Gersius asked as Ayawa took a deep drink.

“From this frog swill?” Ayawa replied and held the mug up. “My people brew alcohol so strong it can fade the color from your clothes.”

“It's so strong they use it for tanning leather,” Tavis added. “I tried it while I was there and wasn't eager to try it again.”

“And they call you two men,” Ayawa laughed and took another swig before addressing Gersius. “You should teach Lilly to drink. It might loosen her up a bit.”

“Lilly already enjoys a good drink,” Gersius said as he eyed her back. “She doesn't need to learn how to do it excess. Besides, being a dragon makes her resistant to poisons in food. She would likely drink even you into the grave.”

“That's a challenge I will gladly accept,” Ayawa said with a raised mug.

“So, what are your plans with Lilly?” Tavis asked now that her name had come up.

“I have no plans,” Gersius said with all honesty. “Thayle said I should take some time to clear my head and relax before making any decisions. I have been trying, but I can not stop thinking about her.”

“And what are you thinking about specifically?” Tavis asked.

“I don’t know,” Gersius said and nervously ran his fingers through his hair. “I do want Lilly to stay, but I can’t help but feel she should go home. I honestly think that is the best option.”

“Don’t be daft,” Ayawa balked. “You need that dragon more than you need food and drink. You can’t complete the prophecy without her.”

“But what am I risking by trying to complete it with her?” Gersius asked. “And what right did I have to force her to do it? I would only consider this course of action if Lilly was like you two are, good friends, not a slave.”

Tavis leaned over and tipped his hat back so Gersius could see his eyes. It was a motion that said he was about to make an important point and should be taken seriously.

“Gersius, let’s be honest with each other. You and Lilly are a little more than friends.”

“Those nights around the campfire proved that,” Ayawa added before taking another drink.

“I thought that too, but I don’t know anymore,” Gersius sighed.

“She put a lover's mark on you,” Ayawa scolded and pointed at him with her mug. “Don't you ever forget how she found you that night.”

“Ayawa is right,” Tavis added. “It would only have worked if she loved you.”

“I know,” Gersius grumbled and looked down into his beer. “But all of that changed when she found out about her wings. I will never forget how she said she hated me.”

Ayawa slammed her mug and took a deep breath. She looked at Gersius with a tipsy glare, but her words were serious.

“First of all, she said she hated us all, and you know full well those words were spoken in anger. She didn't mean them and her coming back proves it. Secondly, nothing has changed between you two except you have forgotten how to talk. I bet if you ran off with that lover's mark, she would still be able to find you.

“I have tried to talk to her,” he protested. “But she always flies into a rage and runs off.”

“Oh, I heard all about what you said to her. Don't you have any sense? Why would you tell her you would give her up if ordered?” Ayawa demanded.

“I was telling the truth,” Gersius retorted. “I didn't want the topic to come up at all, but Lilly cornered me.”

“You were telling the truth,” Ayawa mocked and tossed her empty mug aside. “You're lying to us and yourself. We all know you would have fought tooth and nail to keep her. I saw the man who flew into a rage when they denied him his mission. You didn't roll over and give up. Instead, you stood them down and evoked a sacred right, throwing their decision back in their faces. You told them how it was going to be and demanded they get out of your way. I bet you would have refused to turn over Lilly and marched her through the golden gates as your order raged over it.”

“So, what are you trying to say?” Gersius demanded.

“I am trying to say what you told Lilly wasn't the truth. You said that to keep her at a distance because you're afraid of what might happen if she gets close again. Even if it were true, was protecting Lilly's faith in you not worth a little lie?” Ayawa finished her point with a smug expression as she waited for his reply.

“I do not like to lie,” Gersius said as he looked about nervously, wondering if Ayawa was right. “I do lie when there is a vital reason to do so, but I don't ever want to lie to Lilly.”

“And why not?” Ayawa asked as a slight smile curled her lips. When he looked away, she laughed and urged him to admit how he felt.

“Lilly is a friend,” he said more loudly than intended. “I have thought about her, but I don't know how wise that course is. She is a beautiful woman with deep emotions one minute, then behaves like a frightened child the next. How can I be sure Lilly understands what she feels?”

“Gersius,” Tavis said with a tired sigh. “You keep glossing over the lover’s mark. Whatever you want to believe, you can’t deny it worked for her. She proved she loves you.”

“But does she understand what that means?” he asked as he stared into his drink.

“May I sit with you?” Thayle asked, drawing all three of them from the conversation.

“By all means,” Tavis said as she sat beside Ayawa and waived for a mug. She said nothing as she waited, then quickly took up the drink and drained it in one long go.

“I like your spirit,” Ayawa laughed as Thayle set the empty mug down.

“What is it with women and booze?” Tavis asked as he watched the strange scene.

“I need another,” Thayle said as she waved for the maid. When the girl arrived, Thayle asked her to bring three more to save her the trips.

“Is everything alright?” Tavis asked when the barmaid hurried off.

“No,” Thayle groaned and put her head in her hands.

“I take it your shopping trip didn’t go well,” Ayawa added.

Thayle let out a deep moan and set her hands down before looking at the others.

“It was going well, and Lilly was starting to enjoy herself. But then a local noble approached her and got a little too friendly,” Thayle admitted.

“Is Lilly alright?” Gersius asked in alarm and nearly jumped up.

“She's fine,” Thayle said and urged him to sit down. “I brought guards with me to ensure nothing like this could happen. However, he threatened to have me whipped in the town square.”

“What kind of fool would make a threat like that?” Ayawa asked.

“He's a local lord out abusing his station,” Thayle replied. “You know how piggish some of them can get when they see a pretty girl. Anyway, he made his threat, and Lilly flew into a rage.”

“She flew into a rage?” Gersius asked as this part seemed odd.

Thayle nodded and looked Gersius straight in the eye to ask her next question.

“Did you know they beat Lilly with whips to punish her in Whitford?” The look in his eyes told her everything she needed to know. Thayle was sure Lilly had mentioned being punished before but hadn't gone into great detail. Now the truth was out, and Gersius wasn't at all pleased to hear it. “I am sorry you had to find out this way,” Thayle said and pressed on with her story. “When that man threatened me, it provoked a painful memory in Lilly, and she lashed out. She leaped on him with eyes blazing with fire and screamed that she would eat him. It took three of us to pry her off of him, and the commotion caused a crowd to gather. Half the city must be talking about her now, and it's all my fault.

“You were only trying to help,” Ayawa grumbled. “I thought the idea was a good one.”

“I did too,” Tavis joined in. “It’s been too long since we were able to sit down with Gersius and have a good drink.”

“It seemed like a great idea to me,” Thayle agreed. “But she lost control, and those eyes came to life. She even screamed in that eerie deep voice, like a monster from your nightmares. People were frozen in terror as we wrestled her off and ran her back to the temple.”

“That could have gone better,” Tavis commented as Thayle hid her face again.

“It was so stupid!” Thayle cried. “Now the temple is closed to the public, and the city is asking questions. At least I can be thankful she didn't change forms and destroy the market. You should have seen her. I have never known her to be so angry.”

“I experienced her anger earlier today,” Gersius said.

“You deserved that,” Ayawa snapped.

“I agree,” Thayle said as her tray of drinks arrived. “Why would you tell Lilly something like that?”

“So you know about it too?” Gersius sighed. “I was just telling her the truth.”

“You could have lied to protect her,” Thayle insisted.

“I don’t’ want to lie to Lilly,” he countered.

Thayle put her head on the table and let out a frustrated groan. “Gersius, she is looking for reassurance that following you is the right thing to do. She wants to know you will protect her like you always have, but you just told her you wouldn't.”

Gersius looked around the group then slapped his hand on the table to make sure they were listening. He explained how he had lied many times to protect Lilly, from the farmers to Jessivel and even the Father Abbot. He vowed to continue lying to protect Lilly, but he would not lie to Lilly herself.

“But she needs to know you will protect her,” Thayle insisted.

“Of course, I will protect her,” Gersius snapped. “Lilly means more to me than my life. If my order had demanded I turn her over, I would have fought with every ounce of my being to deny them. I wouldn't even consider it unless they forced me to choose between saving Lilly or saving the empire. Even then, I would never have given them her name or altered the terms of our agreement. I would ensure they treated her like a queen and mourn every day we were apart.”

The passion of his voice was echoed by a bright light dancing in his aura. He truly felt that way about Lilly, and just thinking about losing her stirred powerful feelings. She didn't' doubt for a second that he would lay his life down for the little dragon, and it helped settle her confused heart. This was why she needed to focus on bringing them together. Whatever silly feelings Lilly had for her, they were nothing compared to how he felt.

“I will try to explain it to her then,” Thayle said and picked up a mug. “She didn’t mention it while we were out, and she wanted you to come with despite it. So I suspect she isn’t all that upset about it.” She finished her point by taking a deep drink and letting out a content sigh.

“Do you by chance come from a culture whose alcohol is strong enough to tan leather?” Gersius asked as Thayle set the empty mug on the table.

“What?” Thayle asked, then looked over the empty mug with sadness. “No. My people brew a lot of beers and ales. We have a harder alcohol known as drinni, but it's more of a bitter wine than a beer. Why do you ask?”

“Because you are clearly trying to get drunk,” Gersius replied. “Did something else happen while you were out?”

Thayle realized she was behaving strangely, and Gersius had noticed. Before he could ask another question, she insisted that she was upset about the temple being closed and her role in it. It was a half-truth she hoped would be enough to end his line of questioning. He looked no more satisfied with her answer than she would be but thankfully didn't challenge it. Instead, he asked where Lilly was now and if she was all alone.

“I'm sorry,” Thayle sighed as she felt terrible about Lilly. “I left her in her room and came right down here. It never occurred to me that she might not want to be alone.” Again it was a half-truth, but right now, Thayle was the last person who needed to be around Lilly.

“Maybe I should go talk to her,” Gersius said as he stood up.

“You will only make things worse,” Ayawa laughed.

“No,” Thayle interrupted and urged him on. “This is exactly what she needs. Just avoid any truths she isn’t going to like.”

“And don’t mention you would give her up,” Aywa added.

“You know me better than that,” Gersius grumbled.

“Then learn how to express some of what you feel,” Ayawa countered. “She needs you to reassure her.”

“She’s right,” Thayle agreed. “You need to drop that stone exterior and let Lilly see how you truly feel about her.”

“Lilly and I are friends,” Gersius insisted as he walked away. “And that is all we will ever be.”

“Who does he think he’s fooling?” Ayawa balked. “That lover’s mark showed us everything we need to see.”

“He feels responsible for her pain,” Thayle said as a horrible dread clawed at her heart. “He has withdrawn his feelings for her.”

“How can you be so sure?” Tavis asked as he noted Thayle’s pained tone.

Thayle looked at her drink as she fought the urge to cry.

“Because he just told the truth,” she said.

Gersius returned to the rooms and knocked on Lilly's door for the second time that day. When she answered, the look on her face spoke volumes about her feelings, and he wondered if this was a good idea.

“I need to talk to you about earlier,” he said, knowing there was no way to back out now.

“What about?” Lilly said defensively. “Have you found somebody to give me to?”

“This is why we need to talk,” Gersius said with a nod and invited her into the hall. She followed but lingered near her door, leaning against the wall with her arms folded.

“So, talk,” she said.

Gersius tried to take Ayawa's and Thayle's words to heart and keep in mind that Lilly wanted reassurance. He explained how he would never have handed her over without a fight, defying his order unless there was no other way. Even so, he would never give anyone her name and would still insist they treat her like royalty. Then when her time was up, he would have been more than happy to escort her home or help her recover her hoard.

“So, you would try to keep me?” Lilly asked as her scowl softened.

“Of course, I would,” Gersius replied with a slight smile. “You are my dragon, after all.”

“Why didn’t you say that earlier?” she demanded with anger in her eyes.

“You walked off before I could explain,” he insisted.

“What you said hurt me!” she cried and pointed at his face. “I was doing all this for you, and you said you might give me away.”

“Lilly,” Gersius said to get her attention. “I did not mean for it to sound like that, and I would never willingly give you away. I was only trying to be honest with you because you mean so much to me that I refuse to lie to you. I want your help because you want to help, not because I tricked you.”

“But you would still give me up if you had to?” Lilly asked as she looked down.

“Only if there was absolutely no other choice. They would have to hold the safety of the empire and the deaths of thousands of people over my head. I doubt they would ever do such a thing, but I wanted you to know there was a chance. I know it might hurt to think of it, but sometimes duty has to come before lo –,” He choked on his words, shocked at what he nearly said. With a blank expression, he stumbled back as Lilly watched intently.

“Before what?” she asked, now hanging on his words.

“Before. Before?” He struggled to find another way to say it, running his fingers through his hair in frustration. “Before, personal desires,” he said, his words coming out in a jumble.

“Personal desires?” Lilly repeated as she blinked a few times. “What personal desires?”

Gersius wondered how Tavis could lie to three women at once and not trip on his words, yet he couldn't have an honest conversation with Lilly without falling on his face. She watched him with a curious expression, waiting for an answer he was too afraid to give.

“I heard there was a problem in the market,” he said to change the topic.

Lilly scowled and began to rub at her wrist as she recounted how a man wouldn’t go away and became mean when Thayle confronted him.

“Thayle said you attacked him,” he corrected.

“I was going to kill him!” Lilly growled. “He said he was going to whip Thayle!”

Gersius was surprised at how angry Lilly was over Thayle being in danger. He wondered if she would try to kill that man again if he was here right now. He wanted to say something to deflect her anger and decided to ask her about her pain.

“You never told me they whipped you,” he said and stepped close.

“I told you they beat me,” Lilly said as she closed her eyes.

“But you never said how,” Gersius insisted and dared another step closer.

“What does it matter what they used?” Lilly roared as she opened her eyes, blazing with renewed fire. “All that matters is they beat me because they enjoyed hurting me.”

I am sorry,” Gersius said as his heartbroken to see her so tormented. He reached up to touch her cheek, but she turned away, moving closer to the door as if she might retreat.

“It isn't your fault,” she said just outside the door. “I already told you, Thayle explained it to me, and I understand they were lying to you. You were doing what you thought best and could not have known what they were planning. Now please, stop saying your sorry.”

He wanted to ask why she was still so angry at him if she understood but noticed the bracelets on her arm. He asked her where she got them, and instantly her mood brightened. She explained that Thayle had bought them and a white robe for her. She even playfully held up her arms so he could see them closer, pointing out the bluestones that matched her necklace.

“They do match your necklace,” he said tenderly as she smiled at the compliment.

So, what personal desires does your duty have to come before?” she asked out of the blue.

Gersius was staggered by her sudden and direct return to the question he had avoided. He began to wonder if all this had been a game to draw him in and catch him off guard. Could Lilly really be so creative as to use her pain as a weapon to force him to answer?

“Lilly,” he began nervously. “Our time together has been all about my duty.”

“But your duty has ended,” Lilly pointed out. “You said so yourself the other day.”

“I did say that,” he agreed as he felt the noose closing. “My duty to Astikar is over, but the people of the old empire still need to be saved.”

“But that isn't your responsibility anymore,” she pointed out. “Thayle said you don't have a duty anymore, which means you don't need me. So why are you so insistent on talking to me?”

It was a perfect attack, laying his duty concerns to rest while pointing out that he hadn't clarified why he was here. He couldn't think of any way to answer her other than to insist he just wanted them to be like they were before.

“Before when?” Lilly asked directly. “Like how we were on the road to Whiteford or at the campsites?”

Gersius swallowed as she tried to pin him down to a specific idea. He couldn't help but wonder why she was like this and where it would go wrong. Unable to avoid the question, he decided to Thayle's advice and just told her how he felt.

“I want us to be like we were that night on the road.”

“You mean the night I rescued you, and you rode on my back,” she said with a nod.

He felt uncomfortable as she looked at him with an almost calm expression. It was the most normal she had been in days, as if hearing that was finally making her happy.

“Yes,” he replied and hung his head. “I wish we were like that.”

“Then tell me what you meant to say,” Lilly replied as she studied him closely.

Gersius stepped back in alarm as Lilly held a firm glare and slight smile. She folded her arms as she waited for her answer, and he stammered out a weak reply.

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“A minute ago, when you spoke about duty, I could tell you didn't mean to say personal desires. You were going to say something else, and I want to know what it was,” Lilly said as blunt and directly as possible.

“Lilly,” he stammered and stepped further away. “I was going to misspeak and say something inappropriate,” he insisted.

“So tell me what you were going to say?” she insisted.

The noose tightened around his neck Gersius did the only thing that made sense. He turned around and ran away, leaving her standing alone in the hall.

Thayle set her fourth empty mug down as Ayawa laughed at her performance.

“That’s the spirit,” she cried and slapped Thayle’s back.

Gersius arrived and stopped the barmaid ordering a round of drinks for himself before sitting down. He then picked up his old drink and emptied it one go as his companions looked on.

“So, how did it go?” Tavis asked as Gersius set the mug aside.

He didn't answer; instead, he waited for the woman to return with three more and quickly downed another.

“Ha, she has driven him to drink,” Ayawa bellowed.

“Is everything alright?” Thayle asked as he quickly took up a third mug.

“Everything is fine,” he said and began to drink.

Thayle raised an eyebrow as she studied him with a slight waver. “You may have two auras right now, but both of them say you are lying.” She watched as he finished the third mug and hungrily took up a fourth. “You are not right at all,” she insisted. “What happened?”

“Lilly and I spoke,” he said as he paused from his drink. “I was trying to be open with her, but I tripped on my words.”

“Oh, great,” Thayle grumbled. “Tell me what you said so I can go fix it.”

Gersius took a long drink and then recounted it.

“I was trying to explain how I would not have handed her over without a fight,” he said.

“Good, so where did that go wrong?” Thayle asked.

“I was trying to explain that I would never give her up unless I had to. I wanted to impress on her that sometimes you had to choose between duty or.” Gersius paused as all eyes focused on him.

“Or what?” Tavis asked when he paused too long.

“Or love,” Gersius admitted as he looked down into his beer.

“Goodness!” Thayle exclaimed excitedly. “Did you tell her that?”

“No,” he said without looking up from his beer. “I caught myself and quickly thought of something else to say. Lilly noticed the stumble and kept trying to get me to tell what I meant to say.”

“Fool,” Ayawa cursed as she returned to her drink.

“I can’t tell her that,” Gersius insisted.

“Gersius,” Thayle barked as she rose from her chair and pointed to the west wing. “You go right back up there and tell her what you meant to say. This is exactly what she needs to hear.”

“How can I?” Gersius asked with a slump of his shoulders. “She is a dragon and is only here because I needed her to reunite the empire.”

“You don't believe that any more than your aura's do,” Thayle growled as she threw her hands up in disgust.

“What are you trying to tell me?” he demanded in frustration, finally daring to look at her.

“How can you not see that Lilly loves you, and she needs you to tell her you love her too?” Thayle demanded.

“She is a dragon, and until she met me, she did not even have a word for love,” Gersius argued. “Maybe she felt something, but her place is with her kind. She can not love a human, and I can not return her love even if she did.”

“You blind, cotton-brained, stubborn mule of a man!” Thayle shouted in slurred words.

“I like this Thayle,” Ayawa laughed as Tavis joined her.

“How can you be so ignorant of her feelings?” Thayle continued. “You two had no trouble understanding one another before.

“I am not ignorant of her feelings,” Gersius argued back. “I just don't want to hurt her by allowing this to go on when it can't be.”

“Oh, don't give me that!” Thayle snapped. “I saw you and her sitting around those campfires. You glowed like a couple deeply in love and destined for marriage. Then something changed, and it all started to fall apart. You have two have never been the same since you released her from the bind.”

“I had to release her,” he said and looked back to his bear. “It was not right to keep her.”

“How do you know she even wanted to be released?” Thayle asked.

“Because it is not right,” he said defensively. “I am not her owner, and I refuse to keep her as a pet.”

“Did you ever see her as a pet?” Thayle asked in aggravation.

“No, but that does not change the fact that the bind gave me all the power,” he countered.

“Why are you so concerned about power?” Thayle asked with a sudden change in her voice.

“Because in a relationship, the power should be equal,” he nearly shouted.

Thayle smiled and sat down as Tavis and Ayawa roared with laughter. Gersius looked around in confusion and had to wait until they were under control to ask what was so funny.

“You are. You blind fool,” Ayawa replied.

“What did I do?” Gersius asked.

“Gersius,” Tavis interrupted with a chuckle. “You just admitted you wanted to be in a relationship with Lilly, and that’s why you are so upset.”

Gersius froze as he replayed his words going over every connotation until he found the mistake. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before turning to Thayle, who met his gaze with a smile.

“I suppose you are pleased with yourself,” he asked.

“I might just celebrate with another drink,” Thayle said and went to wave for another.

“I think you and I have both had enough,” he suggested.

“You definitively have not had enough,” Ayawa countered.

“And why do you say that?” he asked.

“When you find the courage to go back up there and tell Lilly what you meant to say, you will have had enough.”

2