003: In an Ideal World, All Doors Have Self Updating Stickers
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few minutes earlier...

Two boys were walking through a desolate corridor. There were no zombies, not in this corridor. All the doors on this corridor lead to storage rooms, records, and some leftover construction material used to expand the school some months ago. Except for one door. It led to the classroom 10-F.

One of the boys was of medium height and built with a wiry frame. He had a sharp chin and a pair of light grey eyes. He skipped through the corridor with light steps in a playful manner. He did not look at all like someone who's supposed to be 17 years.

"Stop it." The other boy said in a curt tone.
He was exceptionally tall and was well built for his age, with eyes exuding an indignant expression at the boy's playful attitude despite both being at the same age. His face was clearly supposed to be dissatisfied with the boy's playfulness, but instead, it was just a poker face. And there was an air rifle slung on his back.

"You're no fun, Alex. There are no zombies here- We haven't seen a single zombie since we were on this floor." The boy grumbled but stopped skipping.

"There might be a classroom full of zombies ahead. Be more careful."

"Fine, fine, I get it."

They both continued walking down the corridor, passing a few more doors. The main building was quite a big one and it looked like the bottom part of a big 'H' cut in half horizontally. And class 10-F was located at the far end of the right corridor.

"By the way, where's that teacher?"

"Not sure. Heard her saying that she would find someplace to perform checks."

"Yeah, sure. I still can't believe she had me stripped. Me! The heir to the great Net Verse!"

"At least not many witnessed your great self naked" Alex quite visibly rolled his eyes.

"And that crazy lady even possessed guns. I mean, what else could she be hiding? Like, did she come to kill someone or something?" The kid went on rambling, barely doing a good job of making as little noise as possible.

Alex replied with short 'Hmm's or 'Hhm's (spend enough time with Alex and you'll get the hang of differentiating them) but at some point, he stopped doing it.
"Hey? Why aren't you-"

"You see, the" - a shrill voice suddenly sounded from the kid's back, and with an audible pause, continued - "crazy lady" and with another pause, "dreamt of a zombie epidemic and brought guns."

A slim lady who did not seem like she was in her early thirties - was wearing a black track outfit. She was quite pretty and her lips looked delicate enough to compare to roses, but her eyes were stern with a certain lack of- emotionless feeling.

The boy jumped up in fright and turned around. There was a great deal of stuttering, but he finally did manage to get the right words.
"Ah- Um- No, mam, I was just telling you that it was crazy genius of you to bring guns. I was- yes, I was complementing-"

"I hope you'll behave well going forward, Cillian. Lest you want your PTA to be a disaster."

Cil had a lot of thoughts.'Wait, are teachers supposed to threaten students like that?' and much more, but he nodded his head and uttered a simple agreement.

"Good boy," The teacher said and ruffled Cil's neatly combed long hair.

The trio reached the end of the horizontal corner all while Cil tried to comb his hair back into position. The teacher stopped at an opaque metal door with the words 'CONSTRUCTION TOOLS' written on paper taped on it.

She opened the door, which was unlocked. There were, like the door suggests, plenty of saws, hammers, drills, and for some reason, a baseball bat.

She then turned around to face the boys and,
"Alright, you boys go on ahead and see if there are students alive. I hope so, seeing as there hasn't been any chaos here, but be careful nonetheless. And one of you, check the boys right where they are staying and one of you bring the girls here."

Cil replied with a heartful yes, whereas Alex gave a short nod, but not displeased.

"Are you sure? Do you want to back out?" Her eyes showed concern.

"We're quite sure, Miss Rubio. Right, Alex?" Cil gazed at Alex, who, uh, well, did Alex. That is, gave another nod.

Miss Rubio, concerned but somewhat convinced, let them leave before starting to pick up some tools which she definitely needed.

Cil stopped talking for the time being. Alex also aimed the air rifle in front of him, ready to fire. They made their way to 10-F quite silently and slowly.

When they neared the classroom, they could hear a person talking in a low voice.

"...it'll be easier to throw the zombies off the rooftop if there was a horde after us. It's way better than being stuck inside, and the roof is plenty wide."

Cil whispered to Alex,
"I think the students are alive. I was right, after all."

"Okay. Talk to them, and I'll keep the gun ready in case of an emergency." Alex replied in a hushed voice as well, holding his gun more steady and tensing up more slightly.

"That is unnecessary, but suit yourself."

Cil walked briskly to the door with a huge '10-F' written on a paper taped to it. He tried pushing the door but to no avail. So Cil just did what any person would do when met with a locked door.

He banged.

0