Chapter 17 Overpriced
35 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The phone call for the 3GB internet went by way faster than Kamara expected. He had thought he would have to jump through hoops to get it, but it was the opposite. It seemed like the people in the department were excited that someone was even looking into it, let alone willing to pay for it.  

During the whole process, he didn’t have to wait on hold at all and the people were speedy with their service. It wasn’t until he got to the price that he realized why. The damn service cost 600 credits a month! This is about the equivalent of $1700 in his last life. 

Now while people were much better off in this life than in his last one, they weren’t so wealthy that they could afford what is basically $1700 a month for unnecessarily fast internet.  Most people were perfectly happy with a couple of hundred megabytes and at max a gigabyte.

Kam thought it was an outrageous price, but in the end, he knew that he would need it soon so he relented and told them to send the contract through email so he could sign it. It wasn’t really about the money, that would never be an issue, it was more about the principle of it. If he didn’t need the fastest internet speed he could get, he would have cursed the people on the phone out before hanging up. 

With a depressed sigh, Kam hung up the phone and decided to order some food to help calm his rage. While he waited for his food to arrive he pulled up Flinch to see if he could find anyone that looked interesting. But to his surprise on his homepage, he saw Issa playing some strategy shooter. 

He wasn't surprised to see that she was streaming, as he had figured that out earlier in the day and he knew she was at work, no what surprised him was the platform she was on. He had expected her to be on another platform, not Flinch. It didn’t make a difference to him, it was just a nice coincidence. 

Looking at the stream for a second, Kamara was tempted to click and watch to see what she was like on screen. His fingers were poised to press the button but after a second thought, he decided against it. He had already said he would wait till she revealed it herself before he said anything about it. In the end, Kam exited the app and went to text his new friends. 

He had forgotten to tell them he was ok earlier and he was sure they were probably a bit peeved about the whole situation. He would be if he were in their shoes.  So he sent each of them an apology text. 

He quickly got a message back on his phone telling him he had been added to the “Dysfunctionally Functional” group chat by Berry. From there he was bombarded with messages from the group. Some checking on him, most cursing him and a few just making jokes. Kam just smiled at it all before jumping in to defend himself from the onslaught.


  

The rest of the day for Kamara was spent waiting on the utility person to come and texting his friends. Occasionally he would receive a text from Issa, he assumed between her games, asking him what games did he want to play. 

Not knowing much about this world's gaming scene Kam searched for ‘best co-op games’ in Infinity. Being a noob to the world he wasn’t sure if he wanted to test his mettle in an fps just yet, so he excluded that genre for now.

After a few minutes of looking through Infinity, he was able to find three games that looked fun. 

One was called Escape and it was a room escape game, except you were solving puzzles in a huge mansion. The next one was a rogue-like game called Purified Blue about a family of powerful gods that must escape hell after being set up by the other gods. The last game he found was a cutesy restaurant simulator game.  

Thinking that either of these games could work Kam texted Issa a list back. After some more discussion, the two decided to go with Purified Blue as it had better reviews and Issa had been wanting to play it for a while but never had the time to. 

By the time they had come to a decision, Kam’s utilities had been turned on and after checking the house he didn't have any problems anywhere. Well besides some brown water coming out at the start but that quickly cleared up. He still had a few things he needed to touch upon in the house, like the filters, painting, and appliances.

 But the only serious thing was the filters and he could do that tomorrow. And he could do the painting touch up himself over time. As for the appliances, he had bought while he was waiting, he got the dimensions and styles he needed by looking at the spot for the appliances and using his abilities.  He was loving this ability more and more. 

Unfortunately, he couldn’t pay to have them delivered faster so he had to wait a couple of days before they would get to the house and be installed. This wasn’t a problem for him though, as he was fine going a couple of days eating takeout. His clothes were freshly washed so that wasn’t a problem either.

“Alright, the house is finally finished. Now I just need to edit that video and upload it then I’m off to bed.”  Kam said as he looked back at his new/old home. He then heard a car pull up into the driveway, he smiled and walked toward it. After getting in Kam made his way back to his apartment for his last night of sleeping on rented property. 


By the time Kam got home the sun had just set. He was incredibly sleepy but he still had work to do. So after taking a shower and getting the day's sweat off of him. Kam changed into pajamas and went to his temporary workstation, which he now regrets setting up so soon, and got to work editing his first video. 

It was his first time ever doing this so he was pretty confused about what was going on. His abilities let him know how to operate the software, but it didn’t provide him with the experience of an editor. 

Since it was his first time editing a video he did not plan to do anything fancy. So after too long Kamara was able to put together a very simple edit of his recording. While the editing itself was easy, the hard part for Kamara was listening to his voice and watching the video over and over again. 

The voice things were easy to get over after a while, though it still annoyed him, the monotony of editing was the real pain. By the time he had finished, looking and listening to the video made his stomach hurt. What made it even worse was that he was standing the whole time while doing it. 

Much of the original recording had to be cut out, turning four hours of recording into a seven-minute video. While it was shorter than he wanted it to be, he felt that at least it was seven minutes of good content rather than twenty of fluff. 

There were even some bright spots in the video that he originally thought was particularly funny. By the time he finished…not so much. Nevertheless, in the end, he was proud of the work he had done. It was good for the first video.  

Now he had to decide where to upload the videos. Pipeline was an obvious choice being one of the largest video streaming services on the planet. Gold Feather was another obvious one.

There were a bunch of other large and relevant sites he could upload to, more than even his last life, but he felt that if he chose all of them it would make managing that many accounts near impossible for him, at least right now. So in the end he felt that he could do well managing four accounts dedicated to his new career. 

The first two were Pipeline and Gold Feather, here he would upload his full videos. The next one is an app called Fidget, it is a quick content app where videos are anywhere from 30s-2min. Like the other apps, it has a very large base of people that use it, but it was easy to build an audience there.

Plus was known for its very active comment section and he felt he could have some good interactions there. From what he saw, on Fidget as long as you made interesting or funny content, and had some luck, you had a good chance of blowing up. 

On there Kamara would upload half of his best clips there leaving a small teaser at the end to entice them to the original video.

The last site he chose to upload to was a newer sight called Community. It was an app meant for content creators to have a dedicated spot for their community to come and chill online. It is an ambitious project, with their being both social media and voice chat components. 

For the social media aspect, there were sections for a specific community you joined and a feed for you to see posts from other communities. Inside of the community tab, the creator can even add sub-tabs for a specific topic like games, anime, or whatever they like. 

 It was even possible to add videos, from both the content creator side and the user side.

 They were each under their own pages, with the content creator's page being locked so that only the creator and people approved by them can upload on it. The other side allowed anyone in the community to upload, as long as they follow the community guidelines. There was also a paid section where users could pay the creator for exclusive content and merch.  

On the voice chat side, it was a bit simpler. It was just a voice chat that anyone in the community could use. There also is the option for the creator to limit or hide certain voice chats from the majority of people. It was simple, but as long as it worked well it didn’t need to be complex. And from what Kamara has seen online it was one of the best voice chats around. 

As for the site itself, it seemed to have a huge push behind it with many big content creators have already joined it, though most were probably being paid to do so, and some advertisements were appearing online, in commercials, and even on sides of the building. 

He had seen a few of them while he was riding downtown. Since it seemed like a platform with a lot of potential and it was made for users to build a community on, so he felt it was smart to get on it early that easy he will have a place from the start to house all of his community outside of his streams. 

 After making the necessary profiles, for Community, he just made a simple layout, before uploading the necessary content. As for his username, Kamara had put a lot of thought into it days before and it had always been on his mind. But he could never think of anything he really liked.

 So in his tiredness, he decided to just put something that he liked. This caused him to end up choosing the username, DiamondKam. It was a weird and lackluster name, he knew, but it was all he could come up with at the moment, so he went with it.

By the time he was done it was already one in the morning.  He had meant to pack his stuff, but he forgot to go buy boxes. He placed an order for boxes, bubble wrap, and tape to be delivered in the morning. 

From there he organized the small amount of stuff he owned into the appropriate places so he doesn’t have to do much work after he gets the stuff. After that it was 2 am and he was incredibly tired, so he finally decided to go to sleep.  

If you like the novel make sure to give it a like add to your reading list. Just this simple action helps me a lot and provides an amount of motivation you can't understand.

A review would be helpful too. 

Regardless, thanks for reading and as always your feedback is welcome.

0