Chapter 18 Councilors
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day Kam woke up to the alarm on his phone going off. He grabs his phone with a groggy face to turn the alarm off. The lights on the phone briefly blinded him but once his eyes adjusted he shut the alarm off and checked the time.

It was currently 8 am on March 6th, moveout day. He also noticed that Issa had texted him an hour ago, he thought about replying but decided against it. He wasn’t in the mood to talk right now. 

With an old man grunt, Kamara got out of bed. After a couple of stretches to wake his body he made his way to the bathroom to get a shower. Kamara's room right now was the bare basics, with only his dressers, and bedspread being left in it. Everything else had been moved into the living room to be put into boxes once they arrived in an hour. 

 After a quick washup, Kamara changed into his clothes for the day, a pair of black jeans and a brown t-shirt. He wasn’t particularly happy with the outfit, but it would do for the day. Next, he took all his bathroom necessities out with him and put them in a pile designated for his first-day items. 

He then spent some time making sure that all of his stuff was well organized. By this point, it was 8:20 and he still had some time before the boxes were supposed to arrive and even more time before the mover showed up. 

So, with a bit of time, Kam pulled out his phone. He planned to watch some streams to pass the time.

“I don’t feel like watching people cook right now. Anything else?” Kam said to himself. 

All the streams he could find, that interested him, were cooking streams. Breakfast cooking streams were popular in this world so many people did them, but since he hadn’t eaten he felt it would just be torture watching someone else cook.

He looked around for a few more minutes but didn’t find anything. ‘Fuck it, I’ll just watch the news, I needta know more ‘bout this world anyway.’ Kam then typed new into infinity and picked the first new source he could find. 

This brought him to WGN the government-sponsored new agency. Kam had a mind to click off of it because he knew he wasn’t going to get unbiased news, but he chose to stay. Since it was the WG’s news agency they should have much more information on some topics than other news outlets, at least he hoped so.  

Kam looked at the homepage of the news and saw many interesting things on it, from news about geopolitical disputes, the ongoing investigations in Antarctica, celebrity gossip, think pieces, tech, and more. Kam scrolled and scrolled through the monotony of news until he found something that caught his interest.

 It was a gossip article about a brief dispute caught on camera between the heiress of the Keita Lineage and the third prince of the Karling Dynasty. Kam wasn’t too interested in the conflict itself but the tagline did interest him. 

The title headline read Kalrling’s and Keita’s fight again: The continuation of an age-old feud. This was something that Kam knew nothing about, so he clicked the article to see what it was talking about. But as soon as he did a notification popped up on his screen telling him that the post doesn’t exist. 

“Ooook, was it really that deep” Kam said as he scrolled to the next topic. Not wanting to be bothered to go research the topic right now. He then clicked on a topic about the upcoming elections for the four opening council seats.  

What Kam didn’t realize was, yes, yes it was that deep. The Karling and Keita family have been warring against each other since Charlamagne founded the Carolingian Empire in 776 and removed the Mali Empire's presence within Europe. 

This was two hundred years after the Empire conquered the Romans and removed them from the Mediterranean. 

Although the Mali empires still controlled the majority of trade that came from the east, the Karlings never stopped competing with them. Even after the empire split in three, the three brothers and their lineage held strong in their fight against the Empire, passing down the dispute for generations. Because of this, the two groups have been at odds, for a thousand years.

In 1567 after a particularly devastating war showing the killing potential the gunpowder can have, A Karlign Dynasty head foresaw the devastation that could take place, should military technology continue to advance unimpeded. Seeing this he wisely decided to change the way that their war was played, and he slowly stopped using troops and instead started to gloat about how Europe had more gold and was more luxurious and how their people were stronger and smarter. And how their inventions were better. 

This Karling leader, Charles the Wise,  even sent a letter to the Mansa of the Mali Empire, which was experiencing another rebellion because of the wars, explaining his reasoning. The Mansa Abdou eventually agreed to the terms as it was a way to bring his people back together without the mass loss of life. From then on, the two sides moved their war from the battlefield to the fields of innovation and money. This led to a massive boom in every field in the western and southern world. 

But this is also where the flaw of the Karlings showed, with them being split between three different kingdoms there was no focused place of advancement, unlike the Keita Dynasty which was headed by one person and one person only. So, without the threat of invasion, the unified front that they had was only held together loosely because of their dwindling blood relation. 

Kam spent the next ten minutes learning about the political landscape of the world. The opening seats were from South America, North America, Africa, and Asia respectively. From what he read it was likely that the seats in SA and NA were to stay as they were. But Africa and Asia were up for grabs.

 The reason for Africa's seat being risky was because the Councilor had mostly been voting for bills that only helped the rich, instead of the people of the world. So most people were just waiting for him to leave so that they can choose one of the two other people that showed promise. 

The reason for the Asian counselor not being reassigned was because of his old age.

 The Asian councilor in question, Tao Chin, had been sitting on the council since he was in his twenties, he is now eighty-two years of age. He was one of the most respected men in the world and the most reputable. The day he retires is to be a sad day for the world. Fortunately, there are many promising replacements from Asia. His disciple is one of them. 

But there are many others including one from the prestigious Zhou Family, that is a threat to his disciple's chances. The Asia elections are bound to be a close one. The worst part is that since the 12 seat numbers are determined by tenure, Tao Chin is the current first seat, hence the ‘leader’ of the council. Although the title doesn’t carry any real legislative authority, there is a certain amount of respect and privilege that comes with it.  Someone else taking that position is bound to shake up the world.   

By the time he was finished reading about the Council election coming at the end of the year, he received a notification on his phone that his boxes had arrived. Kam then made his way down the elevator to the pickup desk. While he was down there he remembered he needed to break his lease.

 He still had another three months before it was finished so he, unfortunately, wouldn’t get this deposit back, but he wasn’t too bothered by it. So after he got his items Kam told the woman at the desk that he was moving out today, quickly signed the relevant paperwork, and made his way back upstairs.

Back in his apartment, he started packing everything into their correct boxes. Since he didn’t have much to pack, mostly clothes, he finished pretty quickly. He made sure to bubble wrap the hell out of his electronics. He planned to take the three computers and the accessories with him in the car, but the monitors and desk wouldn’t fit, so he had to leave them in the hands of the movers.

The desk wasn’t a big worry for him since he had a better replacement at home, but the monitors were expensive and he wanted them to arrive in perfect condition. Or he would have to introduce what Karens are to this world. 

Once he was finished packing Kamara finally decided to look at Issa's text, but before that he sent a response in the group chat regarding a conversation they had yesterday.

Good morning❤️ I have tickets to 

this event next Saturday and the person I 

was going with canceled on me…do 

you want to go instead? 😬

Kam smiled at the text, he didn’t have any plans for Saturday besides working on his prototype. Actually, that was his plan for most of next week. Work on the prototype and hopefully finish it by the end of the week. That way he could sell it and then finally have the time to really focus on what he wants to do, stream, make content, and build his server/game. 

Good Morning to you too 😊. And sure I can 

make it. What time is it? Also, what is it?

 

It's a…convention of sorts. On a 

completely unrelated note, do you 

happen to know your body 

measurements? Asking for a friend,

nothing weird at all 👀

 

Kam laughed at the text. Before he remembered something “Speaking of body measurements, I need to remember to pick up my suits Friday. I completely forgot about them.” he then made a quick update to his calendar reminding him to pick up his suits before going back to the text. 

It being for your friend makes it  even weirder 

than would’ve been Anyways, yea I know my 

Body measurements. I found out for the first 

time Friday while getting measured for suits.

Their…

Thx😁! Oh, and what were you

 looking at suits for, if you don’t mind

 me asking? 😏 

The two continued to message each other for about ten more minutes. With Kam even sent her a picture in one of the suits he tried on while there. Issa even gave her input on colors she thought would look good on him. Which he took to heart as he knew any woman's taste in clothing was much better than his. 

Kam eventually had to stop replying when he received a call from the movers telling him they had arrived. So he made his way down the stairs to let them in the building so they could do their job. 

And after thirty minutes of them moving his stuff, they set off towards his house, with him following along in the back seat of a random driver's car, holding three computer towers for dear life. Kam made a note on his phone to buy himself a car in the future and maybe even get a personal driver. He was starting to get tired of ordering drivers through an app anytime he wanted to go somewhere, and he still didn't want to take the train.  

If you like the novel make sure to give it a like add it to your reading list. Just this simple action helps me a lot and provides an amount of motivation you can't understand.

A review would be helpful too. 

Regardless, thanks for reading and as always your feedback is welcome.

1