Chapter 25 Councilor’s Meeting 3
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the room listened to Kamara’s demands the video was paused and the councilors turned to Tao Chin awaiting his opinion. The first seat tapped the table for a couple of seconds while he thought about it. Eventually, he spoke up,

“I believe that most of what Mr.Faye is asking for is reasonable, though I believe that some things can be tweaked,” he said as he looked at the rest.,

“I agree, but what do you have in mind Tao?” The Second Seat spoke up.

“Hmm, I think an increase in the money, in exchange for the exclusive rights for any new tech he plans to sell should be in order.” He said in response to which everyone at the table nodded. 

“I believe that his access to government contracts should be heavily restricted and monitored. The amount of freedom he is asking for is unprecedented and, frankly, too much.” This time the Fifth Seat Olivia White shared her opinions. Again, there was a resounding agreement from the group. 

“Mr. Faye said that he would like to have his information hidden from the public, which is perfectly fine. I think that we should send a group of people to monitor his actions. This way we can determine if he is the one who is making these inventions and protect him from spies at the same time.” the Sixth Seat Shambhavi Ashtekar declared. 

“Monitoring him is fine, but we should have someone close to him that can tell us for  certain what is going on.” The Twelfth Seat said as she looked at everyone.

  “What do you have in mind, Evangelia” Tao Chin inquired as he looked at the least experienced member in the room.

“Kamara Faye, while he is already rich, is going to come into contact with a significant amount of money, if we are to do this deal. Putting him within the top 50 wealthiest, people, in the world. The current amount he has is nothing in comparison to that. He will need someone to help him handle that, we can provide that person for him.” Evangelia clarified.

“Isn’t that a bit too obvious?” The Ninth Seat questioned 

To which she nodded “Yes it is very obvious. But you all are missing something.”

“Which is?” the Fourth Seat Babacar Mbaye asked 

“He has already shown us his identity. If we are to believe that the skills he has shown are his, that means he is fully capable of hacking into our systems without anyone finding out. This means that there were plenty of ways that he could have hidden his identity and potentially worked out a deal. Or in a worst-case scenario, he could’ve stolen everything he wanted and left us none the wiser.  And there are plenty of other places he could’ve gone to work out a deal. But he did not do that. Instead, he opted to show his full face, knowing well we would be able to find out who he is. Showing that he is-” 

“Willing to corporate with us.” Mansa Mumadi interrupted with a bored expression to which Evangelia nodded her head with a peeved looked. 

“Yes, exactly Mansa Mamadi. Mr.Faye is willing to corporate with us. This is not a strong arm or anything of the sort. It is meant to be a beneficial deal for booths sides. And we should treat it as such.  All we have to do is agree to some of his terms and in exchange, he will have to agree to a few of ours. We all know how this works. And I believe with what he is bringing to the table, we should at least present someone (regardless of the questions regarding his ability)  like this respectably because we never know what he might do or make in the future. Of course, this is all after we make sure that the nuclear fusion project works as it is advertised.” She finished her soliloquy as she looked around the table at everyone.

A small smile appeared on Toa Chin's face as he heard what the young woman said.

“Wonderful Councilor Arvanitoti, it goes back to the age-old saying treat others how you want to be treated. Since Mr.Faye has shown that he is willing to corporate with us, we must show our sincerity back. For now let us treat him as if he is the one who is making the tech, if we find out it is not true, then we will deal with it accordingly in the future.” Tao Chin declared with a chilling smile. He was never one for tricks. 

The other council members nodded. What followed there was an hour-long discussion about what should be added and taken away from their counteroffer to Kamara. The conversation was fairly civil, no outburst like before happened. The most powerful people in the world knew how to be civil even if they might dislike each other. Once the group had got something that they found was reasonable the group held a vote.

“All in favor of this deal say aye,” Tao Chin said 

“” Aye ”” ten people said 

Tao Chin sighed, the vote was already decided but as a formality, he had to continue 

“All against this deal say nay”

“Nay” three nays sounded out, all from the group that originally wanted to dismiss Kamara.

“The vote is ten to three. The vote passes and we will be sending this package to Mr.Faye as soon as possible. Councilor Arvanitoti,” he looked towards the young woman “Since this is mostly your Idea, I believe that it is only right that you are the one to take control of it. Is this fine with you?”

She gave a small smile and calmly replied “Yes, Councilor Tao I would be happy to handle this.” 

While on the outside Councilor Arvanitoti was calm on the inside she was incredibly happy. This would do wonders for her career as a Councilor. In just her first year she was already responding to what might be one of the most important deals the World Government has ever made.  

If she did this right she would never have to worry about reelection, all she would have to bring up is the nuclear fusion deal and she would get votes. Considering she was one of the people on the council who had little to know no background in politics, it was a prime opportunity to prove herself to her doubters. 

‘Maybe I could even use this to become the next Toa Chin.’ she fantasized in her head before quickly pulling herself out of her mind.  

“hmm ok, with this matter settled, I believe it is time for lunch. After that, we shall reconvene again to talk about the findings in Antarctica.” Toa Chin declared as he stood up in from the table. He couldn’t wait to dig into the sashimi his wife had prepared him. 

Everyone slowly left the room and headed to their offices to catch up on missed work and eat.

***

The next day Kamara woke up to his phone ringing, he slowly sat up and stretched before answering the phone.

“Mmm, Hello” he answered in a groggy voice 

On the other side of the phone, a shiver went down Issa’s back when she heard his voice. It had done something to her that she wasn’t proud to admit. 

“Kamara, wake up!.” she shouted through the phone causing Kamara to move his head from the phone. 

“I'm awake, why are screaming?” he asked as he got up and headed to the bathroom 

“Hmph, I’ve been calling you for the last ten minutes and you haven’t answered. So I’m making sure you don’t back to sleep. Anyways, I sent you an address, I need you to meet me there in thirty minutes so that we can get ready, ok?” she asked 

“mmhm, I got you.” he check the time on his phone the convention doesn’t start for another three hours, why you want me there so early?” he questioned as he made his way into his bathroom and turned on the shower so the water could get hot.

“I just told you why. Ugh, you’ll see when you get here, just don’t be late, Ok, bye!” she then abruptly hung up.

 Right now her roommates had just walked in on her conversation and were looking at her like they had just caught her stealing candy. 

“U-u-umm gals don’t you know it’s rude to walk into a maiden’s room unannounced” Issa stuttered out as she warily looked at her friends that are creeping closer to her.

“Maiden my ass!” Raven replied 

“Ahh, little Issa don’t you wanna tell big sis who you were just talking to? Could it be a… boy?” A bald, short, Asian woman named Susan wondered with a predatory grin.

“A-a boy? What boy, I don’t see a boy?” Issa looked around the room searching for a boy    

“Don’t play dumb now Issa, you’ve been caught redhanded. You wouldn’t have hung up so soon if it were a woman. Actually, if I recall right, you would’ve even told her we were here. Now, why don’t you fess up to Auntie Raven here? I promise I will only punish you for lying.” Raven urged as she wiggled her fingers in front of Issa. Her towering figure made it even more intimidating.

“I have no idea what you're talking about. I am being accused falsely and I demand a retrial.” Issa declared as she took steps back to get away from the three.

“Refused, on the account you are obviously lying.” her last roommate Emily said in a fake serious tone. 

By this point, Issa is up against the wall and is surrounded. She looks to her left and right and realizes that she has two options, get tortured by tickles or fess up to her crimes.  

She takes a deep breath and with a stone face says “I’ll never tell”

The three roommates look at each other and simultaneously nod.

“Get her!” Susan shouted and the group began their onslaught. They tickled Issa on every section of her body, causing her to get into a fit of uncontrollable laughter that felt like it lasted hours but only lasted a few minutes. Eventually, she caved and exposed all of her secrets to her tortures. Going into a bit too much detail as she explained her and Kamara’s night in the hotel. 

“Ew, TMI!” Susan said as she stood up from the bed they had migrated to.

Issa shrugged her shoulder “you asked. anyways while it was fun messing with you gals. I have a date to attend and a cosplay to put on. So I will see you later.”

“Oh, so that's who you ditched Johnny for? And you're already cosplaying with him, that's so cute!. Make sure you take pictures! I wanna see them!” Sydney said as she laid back in the bed.  

 Issa nodded saying that she would and made her way out of her apartment and to the driver that had been waiting the last ten or so minutes for her. While she walked out Raven called out to her

“Issa, hold up,” she shouted before she could get in the car.

“Wassup Raven?” Issa questions, confused why her roommate had left the house in her pajamas.

“I just wanted to tell you to be careful. I know how you are when you get in a relationship, and I won't just want you to make sure you don’t do anything drastic like last time.” She nervously said as she stood in front of her friend. She knew that Issa didn’t like talking about this stuff but she felt it was necessary to bring it up as her best friend.

Issa frowned for a second, feeling a bit offended at the statement, but took a deep breath and hugged Raven “Thank you, I will be careful this time” 

Raven nodded her head before speaking up again “have you told him yet?”

 Issa shook her head “No but I plan to soon, I just want to make sure he won’t be weird about it.”

Raven

nodded again “Just don’t wait too late” 

“I won’t,” Issa said with a smile before getting into the car and heading off.

Raven watched until she was out of sight and then made her way back into the apartment building. 

If you like the novel make sure to give it a like add it to your reading list. Just this simple action helps me a lot and provides an amount of motivation you can't understand.

A review would be helpful too. 

Regardless, thanks for reading and as always your feedback is welcome.

2