Book 5- Chapter XVIII
147 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Cradle of Eden was a relatively busy ship-mass with thousands upon thousands of pirates arriving, departing and enjoying the downtime they found themselves with. However, Morrigan’s abrupt return to her duties spurred a higher energy that slowly spread throughout the pirate fortress.

She couldn’t be certain as to why, whether it was her presence or the spreading word of her war plans that caused such excitement, but everyone she passed greeted her with good spirits, any latent animosity that remained amongst any of the pirates was directed seemingly elsewhere rather than at her, and the Inquisition soldiers from all three ships exuded pride and honor whenever she was near.

Despite the warm reception, Morrigan still had no desire to leave the sanctuary of her quarters on the Archangel. Unloading most of her problems onto Nora helped slightly, but more than anything it made her feel guilty. Learning that Nora and Mo’Emori had taken up her responsibilities destroyed her heart, something self-inflicted by the selfish tendency to try and run from the weight of leadership, the weight of her own decisions.

With that realization, she forced herself to retake her place upon the throne, figuratively and literally, as she sat in the courtyard of the Eden where she had assassinated the previous king. The grand foyer was filled with captains, their right hands and high ranking members of the Inquisition, most telling stories or devising a wide variety of assault plans for various scenarios while the rest chose to be plain rowdy.

The noise was grating against her static anxiety, but Morrigan was determined to commit to her role as she dug through a mountain of reports, and responded to inquires.

“Mori!” a shrill, excited voice echoed throughout the chamber grabbing her attention, along with the annoyed hiss of Xol who stood to her left just behind the throne. Much to Xol’s annoyance, Morrigan had done well at evading everyone over the last week. Despite becoming far more relaxed about his guardian duties in the past knowing full well Morrigan was capable of taking care of herself, with the prolonged acceptance of her reign, Xol decided to reaffirm his self-appointed position.

Turning, Morrigan watched as Mo’Emori entered the main area with a smile bright enough to melt any heart on her face, the joy she radiated crashing over her like the wave of a tsunami.

Mo’Emori wasted no time bee lining for the throne. Even though every fiber of her being screamed at her to tackle the woman she loved, Mo’Emori remained dignified with the honor and stoicism her newfound role demanded of her however, as soon as she reached the throne she forced herself into Morrigan’s lap allowing her to wrap her arms tightly around her ridged love.

“Hey sweetie, I’m sorry you had to fill in for me…” Morrigan apologized, wasting no time as she leaned into Mo’Emori’s embrace before pulling her arms around the rose scented Eskarii.

With a gentle yet imposing nuzzle against her face, Mo’Emori sighed in delight, “It’s okay. This is nothing compared to trying to find you-now that was the worst,” she commented with a weary giggle before pushing her forehead against Morrigan’s , “I’ll take this any day.”

Morrigan frowned before pulling away to look her beloved girlfriend. Even though she swore it was fine, Morrigan could see the tiredness hidden beneath her elated demeanor. Her comparison of stress though was something Morrigan couldn’t argue. She knew what she put herself through trying to find her and although disappointed in herself still, she was glad that her responsibilities didn’t amount to that degree of stress, for Mo’Emori at least.

“What have you been doing though? Is everything okay? Its been crazy busy!” Mo’Emori chirped before adding, “Have you met with Inquisitor Tsambikos yet? Inquisitor Tindal has been keeping her busy with updates but…”

Mo’Emori paused, realizing she was beginning to ramble. Morrigan smirked reluctantly, “Yeah, everything is fine. I just needed some time to sort some stuff out in my head. Though I did find out Skoll completely destroyed the couch,” Morrigan commented.

She watched as Mo’Emori groan dramatically, leaning and throwing her head back before muttering, “The brat! Of course he would do this.” Once she sat back up she asked, “Hasn’t Vii’ona and April been watching him?”

Morrigan nodded except, it was Xol who responded from the sidelines, “The Bïrûskê is bored, lacks the thrill of the hunt,” he stated in his deep gravelly tone never facing away from the numerous pirates and soldiers that filled their view.

“Well, are you going to take up Sigurd’s duties of being Skoll’s chew toy?” Morrigan quipped, a sly smirk creeping along her face as she side eyed the stalwart Kêzi’kân.

She watched a Xol grunted before subtly shaking his head. Xol knew just how dangerous Skoll was being a creature of legend on his home world. It took someone with a special brand of insanity to consistently entertain an electrically charge wolf the size of a small horse, and the only being with that level of crazy was Sigurd.

Morrigan had to agree though, Skoll had to be bored out of his skull being cooped up on the Archangel. What worried her though was how Skoll would handle being away from her now that he was aware of her condition.

Shaking her head sharply to banish any creeping thoughts, she sighed, “Well, if everything goes as planned Skoll will have more things to hunt than he would know what to do with…” Shifting gears, she looked back into Mo’Emori’s bright yellow eyes, “And no, sadly I haven’t had the chance to speak with Aria yet. Would you be willing to see if she’s free? I’m sure I’m going to have to convince her of this plan too…”

The exaggerated pouting expression Mo’Emori gave her nearly made her cave and rescind the request. She saw the reluctance in her lover’s expression and agreed that she didn't want Mo’Emori to leave either, having rudely secluded herself for a week was torturous on many levels. Regardless of the reasons why, many of which still lingering right around the corner of her mind, she missed both women in her life dearly and the comfort they brought outweighed the anxiety that festered.

Mo’Emori relented, putting on a kind smile and nodding before kissing her deeply, sneaking in that last indulgence before returning to her duties.

◇◇◇

Hi’tet’s feet sank into the thin layer of dust that covered the slab of metal beneath his feet. A euphoric sigh escaped him as he took in the sounds and smells of wafted across the airfield of Tikal, the holy capital of his home world, Tik’Taq’To. The scent of desert sand and jungle trees that expanded across the majority his deadly birthplace instilling a subtle homesickness within him.

He missed Tik’Taq’To however, what won over his heart was the thrill of battle, especially the one building on the horizon that his chieftain was preparing for. The thing he missed most was being on the Archangel, fighting under the banner of Clan Clarke and the ruthless guiding hand of Morrigan.

Heavy footfalls resonated through the metal beneath him as Excel-Gaui let out a wistful sigh, “It is good to be home,” he bellowed out as he towered over Hi’tet beside him.

Hi’tet glanced at the fallen Timse’h chieftain and gave a silent nod before looking across the airfield to see a contingent of armed Marmuro’k heading their way. Excel-Gaui too saw the coming guard and glanced down at the blood-soaked bag Hi’tet carried, a heavily embroidered bag that carried the prize and gift of Mirina Sor.

Many more nostalgic hisses of relief carried on the wind from behind only to be cut short at the sight of Fire clan soldiers. Excel-Gaui and Hi’tet knew the worry that spread throughout the first wave of Clan Dji’fahd prisoners disembarked from the dozen dropships that had landed. Excel-Gaui didn’t worry for himself though. He had come to terms that his treachery has left his fate in the hands of the other chieftains, but his heart thundered in his chest for the uncertainty for his clan that followed him.

He had been on the bridge when they returned to their home territory. Much to his surprise, all seven of the remaining Marmuro’k fleet had returned, which had been concerning once every cannon of their battleships had locked onto the Sür Agïr. The only saving grace for the stolen battleship had been Hi'tet’s reluctance to speak and giving permission for Excel-Gaui to speak on his behalf.

Excel-Gaui’s brief but direct explanation as to why the Sür Agïr returned, that being on the order of Mirina Sor as well as having a gift from her in their possession, had been the only thing that saved them from a quick death.

It was impressive that the chieftain’s influence had spread so far and so deeply in such a short time. Excel-Gaui could remember how long it took for him to see his life long goal of becoming a chieftain of his own clan. It took many conflicts between the clans, began chieftains and one fateful day where he challenged his old chieftain much like Mirina Sor did with Azuhcu’ach, claiming Clan Tau for herself.

There was more to it though, he realized. Something he obstinately ignored initially however, after some time for reflection as he and Azuhcu’ach sailed through the stars, there was a certain strength buried deep within the tiny being that was Mirina Sor. What the tiny Terran woman, one who should have been the enemy as the majority of her race was to them and yet, she came to their world with an open mind and open heart. She brought the most dangerous creature under control, one that even the Ancient Lakai revered, and staked her claim as one of them, not in body but in spirit. So much so that she sought out the Ancient one and earned the right to go through the Trial of Fire.

Normally the Trial of Fire was a Fire Clan’s right of passage, those of their own brood as well as those of other Clan heritage could duel to the death to earn the right to stand as a Fire warrior. Even then, the young Terran boldly stepped into the coliseum and right into the trap Azuhcu’ach had devised, pitting her against the four best warriors, one of each Fire Clan.

Bravely, and more importantly, honorably, she accepted the challenge. There was reluctance in her fighting, something Excel-Gaui considered disgraceful and pathetic. However, it took a while for him to realize that her reluctance wasn’t weakness. What he didn’t understand at the time, and not until she invaded their ship with no intentions of hurting any Marmuro’k from either clan, was that her reluctance was because she didn’t see the Marmuro’k as clans. She didn’t see the fragmented collection of ideals and methodology or even different species but instead, she saw them as simply Marmuro’k.

With that, she held compassion in her hands, extending it to a species she adored and respected, a race of creatures she would, and had, put her life on the line for as he watched her charge head first into battle with their so called Federation, despite fighting to the death against four she had no desire to kill.

Despite the skepticism, the pushing of desire and the strength of her determination, Morrigan Clarke, the little alien girl borne of the enemy, won the hearts of Tik’Taq’To. She earned her respect, and her honor and with that, became a chieftain of her own, tiny yet effective clan and expanded it exponentially in a short amount of time. She was a unifier and a warrior of legendary proportion that only began to manifest.

For that, Excel-Gaui respected her and more so, he accepted her as the chieftain she truly was. As he watched the guards of Tikal descend onto the airfield, his respect and faith in their newest chieftain rested on her legendary rise and the respect it garnered. His clan would face equal judgement along with him and even if the council of chieftains chose for him to die for her treachery, he hoped her vote of leniency for his clan would sway their decision.

Excel-Gaui’s thoughts were scattered by the pulsing engines of the attack ships that policed the returning dropships of Clan Dji’fahd, looking up to see that not only were they guiding his clan into designated landing space, but holding anyone from the Sür Agïr at gun point.

It made sense to him to have plasma cannons at the ready as he turned to see what could have only been a quickly mustered force of roughly 900 Fire warriors descending into the airfield just beyond the border of Tikal.

The Sür Agïr was forced to hold within orbit for nearly half a day to give the chieftains time to meet before Clan Tau and Clan Dji’fahd were allowed to descend to the surface, the remaining 11 chieftains amply guarded within the center of the armed masses that bled across the open space.

It took little time for them to be surrounded, heavily armed warriors all ready to shed blood or fire bursts of plasma that would liquefy and incinerate the defenseless traitor clans at a moments notice, an anger something Excel-Gaui understood deeply.

The moment the chieftains presented themselves, Hi’tet snapped to attention, holding himself high and with a stoicism that belittled his chieftain. Part of him wanted to laugh. He remembered Hi’tet when he had first been given a spot within Clan Tau, a lithe and absurdly shy Kêzi’kân that was more than met the eye. As Excel-Gaui hung his head in respect for the other chieftains, it became ironic that of all Marmuro’k, Hi’tet would fall under the banner of chieftain that equaled his perception. Underneath a bizarre array quirks was a deadly warrior aiming to prove themselves, and prove themselves they did.

Excel-Gaui Dji’fahd, you dare show your face upon Tik’Taq’To!” One of the chieftains roared, Ude’zu-Ra’kesh’kato of Clan Ra’kesh’kato stepping forward with his hammer in hand.

There was a burst of shrill chittering that came from both Izden-Kri’ket and Tettu’atl-Gra’wuul demanding Ude’zu stand down and temper his anger, Izden going so far as to stand between the irate Fire Clan chieftain and Excel-Gaui, even going so far as brandishing a bizarre fang-like weapon in order to defend Excel-Gaui if necessary.

Now is not the time, Ude’zu-Ra’kesh’kato,” came the low, thundering voice of Comich-Furok, the other remaining Fire clan chieftain. After a moment of internal deliberation as Izden squawked about why they were present, and the respect that Morrigan Clarke had earned, Ude’zu hissed obstinately but yielded and returned to his place amongst the chieftains.

To say tempers were high had been an understatement as every clan warrior could be seen silently pleading for the order to attack and yet, as the chieftain who spent the most time with the newly-famed chieftain, Xitzocl stepped forward with an air of calm.

Hi'tet-Clarke of Clan Clarke, we welcome you home. We’ve been told Chieftian Clarke sends a gift?” Xitzocl asked curiously, eyeing Excel-Gaui for a moment before eyeing the large bag Hi’tet carried.

Hi’tet simply nodded sharply before tossing the bag in front of the chieftains with a heavy, wet plop on the ground, the blood-soaked bag filled with a congealed mess that tried to ooze through the heavy strands of the bag.

All of the chieftains looked curiously at the bag before eyeing Hi’tet once again to see him nod sharply and gesture to the bag.

Why does this one not speak?” Yekta-Virak’kara of the Water clan Virak’kara inquired as Ude’zu stepped forward towards the bag.

Xitzocl was glad to provide that answer, “Hi’tet is the silent warrior of Clan Clarke. He does not speak and his loyalty is without fault. Though I must say, it is strange for Mirina Sor to send him in her stead…

What is the meaning of this!” Ude’zu hissed in surprise and bewilderment as he revealed the contents of the bag to be the head of Azuhcu’ach.

Each chieftain took a moment to see the grisly severed head of the traitorous clan leader before Xitzocl, with a speculative glean in her eye, looked at Hi’tet. “The gift of Chieftain Clarke, our Mirina Sor,” she stated before giving Excel-Gaui a Chris glance, “What happened?

Hi’tet looked sharply at Excel-Gaui who finally raised his head to confirm. With a sharp nod, Excel-Gaui explained.

Chieftain Clarke found the Sür Agïr and boarded. Azuhcu’ach, lost in his delusion, would not relent. After having time to reflect, I realized my honor was misplaced, my bias towards Chieftain Clarke only fueled by Azuhcu’ach’s madness. When she boarded the Sür Agïr, Clan Dji’fahd stood down, ready to accept Mirina Sor’s judgement,” he began, his speech slow even for a Timse’h in order to make sure there was nothing left misunderstood, “Azuhcu’ach though, was challenged for the right of chieftain over Clan Tau, what remained. Clan Tau is no more, only Clan Clarke,” he stated gesturing towards the severed head that sat atop of the soaked bag.

The chieftains all glanced at one another in understanding as Excel-Gaui glanced at Hi’tet to confirm is right to continue with the rest of his explanation.

Chieftain Clarke ordered the Sür Agïr to return and Clan Dji’fahd is ready for the judgement of the council, I am ready to face the judgement for my actions,” Excel-Gaui bowed his head in respectful fealty as he stated Clan Dji’fahd’s reason to return.

Izden-Kri’ket chirped and warbled his concern about the lack of presence, especially for the decision to subject an entire clan to punishment. Typically, all of the chieftains were required to be present and the defending clan leader would argue their reason for a more favorable decision while one or however many chieftains that called for the trial would argue for punishment based on the offense. With Clan Tau absolved under the banner of Clan Clarke, that just left Clan Dji’fahd to face trial for the gravest of crimes in Tik’Taq’To history.

Xitzocl, along with several other chieftains, were inclined to agree with Izden’s concern, “Izden-Kri’kit’s concern is warranted. Why is Mirina Sor not present herself? I believe she may not know however, I’m sure she had been informed of our customs?” Xitzocl inquired.

Hi’tet gave Excel-Gaui another sharp look to respond, “Chieftain Clarke…” Excel-Gaui started only to pause as the murmurs of the Fire warriors began to spread and become louder followed by a subtle, rhythmic vibration could be felt through the metal and soil beneath their feet.

Everyone turned to watch as the Fire warriors began to part, the head of a massive staff depicting a sun towering over the crowd. Within moments, the towering and hulking frame of Lakai the Ancient stood amongst the chieftains, all speechless at the once again surprise presence of the wisest Marmuro’k alive.

It had been less surprising that Lakai had visited the tower of communion to impart his wisdom across the council after Morrigan’s victory in the trial by fire. Given the state of disarray of the council especially amongst the Fire Clans, the prophetic wisdom of Lakai was needed however, the chieftains were uncertain as to why he left his solitary home.

There was a deep rumble that could be felt by all as Lakai took in his surroundings, taking note of everyone present as he hummed thoughtfully. The part that caught his attention the most was the severed head that sat on the ground.

Darkness prevails over the roaring flame,” Lakai noted thoughtfully.

Xitzocl stepped forward and bowed her head respectfully, “What do we owe for your presence, Ancient One?

Lakai read the proverbial room as he considered the question of the most prominent leader of the Air Clans. He could see the anxiety, anger and shame across the entire crowd as he took stock of Excel-Gaui’s disposition, how Hi’tet stood stoic and silent while Ude’zu was on the verge of flying into a rage. He had hoped Tik’Taq’To had been wrong, that Morrigan Clarke had truly returned however, he knew what he needed to hear.

Darkness, ever expanding, even when it is away, we are always within its grasp. Tell me, Excel-Gaui-Dji’fahd, why did Mirina Sor spare your life? What does the Veil behold to enlighten those of the burning light?” Lakai asked cryptically.

Excel-Gaui shrank under the presences however, his shattered honor held him upright as he took a single step forward, all watching and listening to their conversation. “Our judgement is for the council… Mirina Sor cast her vote to free Clan Dji’fahd of my actions, that I alone would face the punishment of the council, and Hi’tet-Clarke was to stand in her place,” Excel-Gaui explained nervously.

The low murmurs between the chieftains, even the irate words cast by those angry, were drown out my another low, deep hum as Lakai considered the words spoken to him.

She is honor, she is merciful and final. Tik’Taq’To trembles, the sands quake, the rivers rage and the forests shake… the songs carried by the wind speak a tale of caution,” Lakai stated as he looked over the confused chieftains until his gaze homed in on Hi’tet, who was the only one unbothered by his presence. Lakai understood why the silent Kêzi’kân stood his ground, it was uncommon for him to leave his mountain and whenever he did, whenever Tik’Taq’To called for him to keep the balance and order of the Clans, it always struck the Marmuro’k with awe however, Hi’tet had been in the presence of someone far more awe-inspiring.

There was a long moment of silence as Hi’tet and Lakai stared down one another, a silence that eventually insinuated that the same question was directed towards Hi’tet, who had the real answer Lakai sought.

Hi’tet could be seen obstinately clenching his jaw before giving in to a sigh. “War,” the single, raspy word leaving Hi’tet’s mouth shocking everyone present except for Excel-Gaui and Lakai.

Before anyone could comment on the fact that Hi’tet could in fact speak, Lakai hummed, drawing everyone’s attention. “Has the council reached a decision?” he asked, his voice thunderous and impactful as the butt of his staff sent a shockwave of vibration through the ground.

Nervously, Izden responded explaining the predicament they found themselves in without Morrigan being present.

With a thunderous clap, Lakai stamped the ground with his staff and shook his head, “The Veil will be pulled soon. Excel-Gaui, do you renounce your standing? Does your pride outweigh your honor?” Lakai demanded.

Shamefully, Excel-Gaui so his head, “No, Great Lakai. I have disgraced my clan, and do not deserve my place as chieftain nor my life. Mirina Sor granted my life to be held by the council for the safety of my clan.

Lakai nodded at this before addressing to everyone around him, “Let the wind carry this truth, Excel-Gaui has disgraced the title of chieftain and will surrender his chieftain hood. I, Lakai, will lead Clan Dji’fahd in his place!

The bass of Lakai’s voice carried across the airfield and was sure to reach Tikal. What was lost was the confusion and unbridled confusion across the mad of Marmuro’k within his presence.

Soon, a mix of outbursts reached out, the emotion behind each varying from fear, anger, surprise and confusion. Silence was immediate as Lakai slammed the butt of his staff on the ground, the head separating and shifting in a discharge of powerful energy and revealing that his staff was an energized two handed morning star nearly as old as he was.

Xitzocl, regained her composure, taking in the confusion and uncertainty of the days events from everyone around her as she looked up at Lakai. It was one thing for Lakai to impart his wisdom and guide the decisions of the council however, the laws and methodology of the council had been unaltered for as long as history had been recorded for the Marmuro’k. Council decisions always needed all to be present, more so when it came to the fate of the chieftain and their clan. For Lakai, as wise as he was, to make the decision himself and attempt to overrule the council was arguably taboo.

The only thing she could consider for Lakai’s behavior, as well respected as he is, was Hi’tet’s single response. War.

Lakai… we are shocked by your decision… Please share your wisdom so that we may understand the disregard for our rules. We cannot decide without Chieftain Clarke here…” Xitzocl tried respectfully explaining though she knew he was well versed in their rules. After all, he had been there when they were written.

Everyone remained silent, the mixture of emotions blending into a single uniform curiosity, focusing and expectantly waiting for Lakai to explain.

As if no one had been there to begin with, Lakai simply looked towards the heavens, his eyes piercing the atmosphere to reveal the vast star scape of space. He knew somewhere out there in the void of space, Morrigan Clarke was about to wage the war of a life time that decide the fate of everyone. Tik’Taq’To knew this. It had warned him, and Tik’Taq’To wasn’t afraid, it was anxious.

Fire must never consume itself, must never burn out,” Lakai stated before looking down at the chieftains before him, “The horn of war has been blown. As Darkness descends, we rise. The Veil will fall, but we will stand by all Marmuro’k, just as we stand by Mirina Sor. Tik’Taq’To must prepare for war.

There was a brief moment were the confusion peaked across the gathered Marmuro’k, all trying to decipher what it is he said. Hi’tet knew, it has been his mission all along. His chieftain has tasked him with preparing the Marmuro’k for war because she would need their help, and he knew Lakai knew of her intentions. The surrender of Clan Dji’fahd, the gift of Azuhcu’ach’s head, and the return of the Sür Agïr, it was all a rally cry,  a call to war, and with the raising of Azuhcu’ach’s bloodied head within his grasp, the Marmuro’k would respond.

3